Why do people like the Wire ?

The show isn't that good? What would you consider to be a good show huh? It realistically portrayed the issues of a big city from many different points of view. It's the standard by which shows should be measured up to because it was damn near flawless.

It's not just a NT thing, ask anyone who's watched the show what they think and you'll most likely get them to tell you that it's one of the greatest shows ever.

The show isn't that good? What would you consider to be a good show huh? It realistically portrayed the issues of a big city from many different points of view. It's the standard by which shows should be measured up to because it was damn near flawless.

It's not just a NT thing, ask anyone who's watched the show what they think and you'll most likely get them to tell you that it's one of the greatest shows ever.

It's so much more than just "real life in the streets" though. It's about society as a whole: law enforcement, politics, the education system, and yes, the streets.

OP, can you provide a reason why you feel that the show isn't good?

It's so much more than just "real life in the streets" though. It's about society as a whole: law enforcement, politics, the education system, and yes, the streets.

OP, can you provide a reason why you feel that the show isn't good?

did dis dude rly just ax dis question. 
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by Joe Billionaire

because its was the hoods peoples sopranos

i tried to watch it the few episodes i seen had too much talking going on, was kinda boring to me

i did watch and like the prequel series tho

roll.gif

........and
laugh.gif
 @ "hoods peoples Sopranos". most people in the 'hood' dont mess with The Wire either because it has too much talking and is boring (other than seasons 1 and 3). so try again.

- im 32 years old and still marvel at people who say things like "too much talking"...."too much reading"
laugh.gif
. peoples satisfaction in their own ignorance never ceases to amaze me.

....you're right. it does have too much talking in it. so tell me, what do you like to watch?

because its was the hoods peoples sopranos

i tried to watch it the few episodes i seen had too much talking going on, was kinda boring to me

roll.gif

........and
laugh.gif
 @ "hoods peoples Sopranos". most people in the 'hood' dont mess with The Wire either because it has too much talking and is boring (other than seasons 1 and 3). so try again.

- im 32 years old and still marvel at people who say things like "too much talking"...."too much reading"
laugh.gif
. peoples satisfaction in their own ignorance never ceases to amaze me.

....you're right. it does have too much talking in it. so tell me, what do you like to watch?

was kinda boring to me

I've downloaded the series twice but haven't watched more than a few episodes. Show is just boring to me

Someone told me to check the prequel out, been meaning to do that.

was kinda boring to me

I've downloaded the series twice but haven't watched more than a few episodes. Show is just boring to me

Originally Posted by omgitswes

was kinda boring to me

...okay, this is the second time someones said something about a prequel. THERE IS NO SUCH THING. 

....the writer did make 3 short stories (and im talking less than 4 mintues), that were kind of background stories to a few characters (Prop Joe, Omar/No Heart Anthony, Bunk/McNulty). but far from a prequel.

- my guess is you probably got that for some dumb #$% that thought 'The Corner' (another series by the same writer) was the prequel to The Wire.........its funny, thats what that "too much talking", "too much reading" perspective and attitude will get you
eyes.gif
. its sad, i dont see how people get by in life like that.

Originally Posted by omgitswes

was kinda boring to me

...okay, this is the second time someones said something about a prequel. THERE IS NO SUCH THING. 

....the writer did make 3 short stories (and im talking less than 4 mintues), that were kind of background stories to a few characters (Prop Joe, Omar/No Heart Anthony, Bunk/McNulty). but far from a prequel.

- my guess is you probably got that for some dumb #$% that thought 'The Corner' (another series by the same writer) was the prequel to The Wire.........its funny, thats what that "too much talking", "too much reading" perspective and attitude will get you
eyes.gif
. its sad, i dont see how people get by in life like that.

Because of it's ability to address issues and problems with the inner cities, drugs, criminals, police, politics, schools, media, etc., all while giving you memorable and well developed characters, and presenting it in arguably the most realistic TV show of all-time.

A few sentences on the show won't give it justice. And it isn't just NT (although there is a portion of the fanbase who does like the show only for it's portrayal of drugs and crime, but that's not the majority).. the show is praised by critics across the board and while not a success commercially, it continually ranks as one of the best shows of all-time.

Because of it's ability to address issues and problems with the inner cities, drugs, criminals, police, politics, schools, media, etc., all while giving you memorable and well developed characters, and presenting it in arguably the most realistic TV show of all-time.

A few sentences on the show won't give it justice. And it isn't just NT (although there is a portion of the fanbase who does like the show only for it's portrayal of drugs and crime, but that's not the majority).. the show is praised by critics across the board and while not a success commercially, it continually ranks as one of the best shows of all-time.

If I could re-live my life, I would want it to be like the wire. But since I can't, I just watch the wire and say that I am.

If I could re-live my life, I would want it to be like the wire. But since I can't, I just watch the wire and say that I am.

All of you saying there's too much talking and don't have the attention span to keep up skip ahead to season 4, it'll keep your attention

Yall need to realize it takes time to build a story/case. It's called The Wire for a reason

All of you saying there's too much talking and don't have the attention span to keep up skip ahead to season 4, it'll keep your attention

Yall need to realize it takes time to build a story/case. It's called The Wire for a reason

I actually just typed this in a discussion similiar to the one you began a while ago
Seymore CAKE wrote:
What often goes over peoples heads is the plot/purpose/category of the story/series.  People watch it with the belief that they're watching a cop drama or a story about drug dealing, when in actuality what you're witnessing is the story of a major city decay within our society right in front of you via your screen.  You get to see how everything is related, how each and every part of our society lends a hand to the success or failure of another pillar of our society.  You get to the see the games that are being played to acheive a goal and you see that there really isn't much difference besides the arena in which you are.  You witness this in politics, law enforcement, journalism, education, and in the streets, and what it shows you is what you said "the game is the game" however its the same game no matter what level you're on.  It holds the mirror up to american society and forces those of us who watched without reservations or expectations to take a good look at who/what we are and the parts that we play and what we bring to the table along with those individual who are around us.

I've have the fortune of being exposed to a lot of different atmospheres from dealing with local/city/and state government officials (aldermans city council members, mayors, state reps & senators), to being at hospital board meetings to having personal relationships with police officers to being a product of the inner city residing in a horrible nieghborhood surrounded by all types of criminal activity.  That when I say without a doubt that everything that you see in the wire is cut and dry what it is with little to no sensationalism, I feel very comfortable.  I can't count the amount of times I've been watching that show and afterwards had a conversation in which I recalled an event I experienced or a story I was told that correlated with exactly what I just witnessed. It is thee most accurate depiction of each of those arena's, and this comes from the writer/producer having direct knowledge themself or from someone who was directly involved/played that part.  Furthermore what you don't realize is that many of the character that you are watching their stories are based off a real person who actually took part in acting in the show.

For example: Clay Davis his character was based off a real senator, and that person is the same person who played the radio dj giving him the interview.  Avon Barksdale was based off Melvin Williams who played the Deacon who got Cutty his gym & who Bunny Colvin went to in season 3.  Mayor Royce decision was to legalize/decriminalize drugs was something that a former mayor attempted to do, and the actual mayor was in the meeting discussing the pros & cons of that decision during that episode.  This is something that you've never seen nor will you ever see, these stories came from intimate knowledge of the inner workings of these environment.  Its not just some made of drama.

Thats what goes over a lot of viewers heads.

You're opinion is you're opinion and not here to knock it or to try to change it, I believe The Wire is the greatest piece of cinema I've ever seen and thats all that matters to me.

I actually just typed this in a discussion similiar to the one you began a while ago
Seymore CAKE wrote:
What often goes over peoples heads is the plot/purpose/category of the story/series.  People watch it with the belief that they're watching a cop drama or a story about drug dealing, when in actuality what you're witnessing is the story of a major city decay within our society right in front of you via your screen.  You get to see how everything is related, how each and every part of our society lends a hand to the success or failure of another pillar of our society.  You get to the see the games that are being played to acheive a goal and you see that there really isn't much difference besides the arena in which you are.  You witness this in politics, law enforcement, journalism, education, and in the streets, and what it shows you is what you said "the game is the game" however its the same game no matter what level you're on.  It holds the mirror up to american society and forces those of us who watched without reservations or expectations to take a good look at who/what we are and the parts that we play and what we bring to the table along with those individual who are around us.

I've have the fortune of being exposed to a lot of different atmospheres from dealing with local/city/and state government officials (aldermans city council members, mayors, state reps & senators), to being at hospital board meetings to having personal relationships with police officers to being a product of the inner city residing in a horrible nieghborhood surrounded by all types of criminal activity.  That when I say without a doubt that everything that you see in the wire is cut and dry what it is with little to no sensationalism, I feel very comfortable.  I can't count the amount of times I've been watching that show and afterwards had a conversation in which I recalled an event I experienced or a story I was told that correlated with exactly what I just witnessed. It is thee most accurate depiction of each of those arena's, and this comes from the writer/producer having direct knowledge themself or from someone who was directly involved/played that part.  Furthermore what you don't realize is that many of the character that you are watching their stories are based off a real person who actually took part in acting in the show.

For example: Clay Davis his character was based off a real senator, and that person is the same person who played the radio dj giving him the interview.  Avon Barksdale was based off Melvin Williams who played the Deacon who got Cutty his gym & who Bunny Colvin went to in season 3.  Mayor Royce decision was to legalize/decriminalize drugs was something that a former mayor attempted to do, and the actual mayor was in the meeting discussing the pros & cons of that decision during that episode.  This is something that you've never seen nor will you ever see, these stories came from intimate knowledge of the inner workings of these environment.  Its not just some made of drama.

Thats what goes over a lot of viewers heads.

You're opinion is you're opinion and not here to knock it or to try to change it, I believe The Wire is the greatest piece of cinema I've ever seen and thats all that matters to me.

Back
Top Bottom