Why is the Divorce rate so high?

Originally Posted by franchise3

Maybe if people realized:

Being single > taken but feeling trapped > loving somebody who doesn't love you back
this couldn't speak more to me and my life right now. truth, bro..
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Originally Posted by RKO2004

Originally Posted by So Nyuh Shi Dae

I am playing devil's advocate because I have yet to see any evidence that suggests that a rise in atheism/agnosticism leads to greater divorce rates, higher drug use, higher crime rates, etc. One can argue anything, but without evidence, your argument means nothing. With the rise in atheism, shouldn't there be evidence suggesting that the divorce rate has climbed because of the greater number of atheists? Shouldn't the prison population consist of a large number of atheists? Where is your data that supports this? I don't understand why you'd make the assertion and then refuse to support your claims. We can all make mindless, unsubstantiated claims all day, too.

I'll debate with you later. On to the thread as intended.

Also, both of  the bold has went up in numbers..

What percentage of people who get divorces are atheists vs religious? I'll wait.

This is what religion teaches you, to make claims without thinking and ESPECIALLY without evidence.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_dira.htm

Religious people have no one but themselves to blame for the high divorce rates, stop pointing fingers looking for scape-goats. The lack of accountability amongst religious people sickens me sometimes. Nah it isn't us, it's the devil, it's God, it's atheists....get a grip.
ohwell.gif
Isn't it ironic that every time someone makes a claim as to the negative effects of Atheism it turns out to be the EXACT opposite. Go figure
grin.gif

Divorce rate: Is marriage strengthened by mutual faith in God? Are marriages weak without religion? The Barna Research Group conducted a poll of Americans in 1999 in an attempt to show that religious faith reduces the likelihood of divorce. The results shocked them: Atheists had the lowest average divorce rates (defined as the percentage of people who had been divorced at least once in their lives), at 21%. Christian divorce rates averaged about 24% (higher for “born-again

I am playing devil's advocate because I have yet to see any evidence that suggests that a rise in atheism/agnosticism leads to greater divorce rates, higher drug use, higher crime rates, etc. One can argue anything, but without evidence, your argument means nothing. With the rise in atheism, shouldn't there be evidence suggesting that the divorce rate has climbed because of the greater number of atheists? Shouldn't the prison population consist of a large number of atheists? Where is your data that supports this? I don't understand why you'd make the assertion and then refuse to support your claims. We can all make mindless, unsubstantiated claims all day, too.

What percentage of people who get divorces are atheists vs religious? I'll wait.

This is what religion teaches you, to make claims without thinking and ESPECIALLY without evidence.

Religious people have no one but themselves to blame for the high divorce rates, stop pointing fingers looking for scape-goats. The lack of accountability amongst religious people sickens me sometimes. Nah it isn't us, it's the devil, it's God, it's atheists....get a grip.
ohwell.gif
Isn't it ironic that every time someone makes a claim as to the negative effects of Atheism it turns out to be the EXACT opposite. Go figure
grin.gif

Divorce rate: Is marriage strengthened by mutual faith in God? Are marriages weak without religion? The Barna Research Group conducted a poll of Americans in 1999 in an attempt to show that religious faith reduces the likelihood of divorce. The results shocked them: Atheists had the lowest average divorce rates (defined as the percentage of people who had been divorced at least once in their lives), at 21%. Christian divorce rates averaged about 24% (higher for “born-again

ohwell.gif
grin.gif

ohwell.gif
grin.gif

This comes from a recent blog that I read often...

More than 2 paragraphs...beware
laugh.gif

http://nwso.net/2011/06/27/filing-for-divorce/

Cliffs:

Married young(20)

Married for the kids

Out of love at 25

Wants divorce

“I got married because I thought I had too because our son had been born. I thought, well, now I’m suppose to get married, even though I wasn’t ready.

This comes from a recent blog that I read often...

More than 2 paragraphs...beware
laugh.gif

http://nwso.net/2011/06/27/filing-for-divorce/

Cliffs:

Married young(20)

Married for the kids

Out of love at 25

Wants divorce

“I got married because I thought I had too because our son had been born. I thought, well, now I’m suppose to get married, even though I wasn’t ready.

ohwell.gif
grin.gif

ohwell.gif
grin.gif

ohwell.gif
grin.gif

ohwell.gif
grin.gif

Originally Posted by OGbobbyjohnson773

Originally Posted by s dubl

because people take marriage as a joke...
...until "other" people want to do it.
This, on both accounts. 
Everyone is running around with this "I'm too young to be married" mentality. @@*% is %@@% stupid. People hold themselves back from freedom, and commitment. If you love the person, and want to be with them, the %@@% it, be with the person. %@@% what society and your friends say. 

On the other hand, there are a lot of people who get married for all the wrong reasons. Some people get married thinking they're "in love", but hardly know the feeling. People getting married after dating for a few months, a year max. @@*% doesn't work like that. Give it time. Grow with that person first. 

Somewhere a long the way, peole forgot how to think for themselves, and how to think things through. 

Originally Posted by OGbobbyjohnson773

Originally Posted by s dubl

because people take marriage as a joke...
...until "other" people want to do it.
This, on both accounts. 
Everyone is running around with this "I'm too young to be married" mentality. @@*% is %@@% stupid. People hold themselves back from freedom, and commitment. If you love the person, and want to be with them, the %@@% it, be with the person. %@@% what society and your friends say. 

On the other hand, there are a lot of people who get married for all the wrong reasons. Some people get married thinking they're "in love", but hardly know the feeling. People getting married after dating for a few months, a year max. @@*% doesn't work like that. Give it time. Grow with that person first. 

Somewhere a long the way, peole forgot how to think for themselves, and how to think things through. 

I didn't say Atheist were only the reason what so ever with your reaching #@%.

What I said was that the dwindling overall presence of God in people lives nowadays are escalating the rates. MEANING ANTON, that not only atheist, but Christians, semi-believers, EVERYONE is suffering it. If everyone lived their marriage life the way it was intended, the divorce rate would be 0. As the world has gotten worse (Sex, violence, drugs, etc), it has become harder to meet quality marriage worthy people and even harder to stick together.

I'll USPS 2nd day your arm back.

Interesting, that contradicts RKO2004's assertions! Who would have thought?!
No, I said with the RISE of Atheism, not that it was directly responsible.

You are constantly wrong. If the lack of religion was responsible for the increase in the divorce one, we would expect that atheists, a group of individuals who have NO religious ties, should demonstrate higher than normal rates of divorce. Conversely, we would expect that any other religious group, especially Christians (due to their supposed high regard for marriage in this country), should have a considerably lower rate of divorce when compared to a group such as atheists. Instead, we see the exact opposite. The religious groups considered in the study presented by Anton all have divorce rates that are higher than the atheists. Not only that, but the population of atheists is significantly less than Christians in the U.S., so to assume that a minority such as atheists is contributing to the increase in the divorce rate is absurd and unsubstantiated when it's already been shown that atheists have a lower divorce rate. So, unless you can provide evidence to support your claims (something I've asked you to do many times), you continue to look more and more like a fool.

What I said was that the dwindling overall presence of God in people lives nowadays are escalating the rates. MEANING ANTON, that not only atheist, but Christians, semi-believers, EVERYONE is suffering it. If everyone lived their marriage life the way it was intended, the divorce rate would be 0. As the world has gotten worse (Sex, violence, drugs, etc), it has become harder to meet quality marriage worthy people and even harder to stick together.

You are constantly wrong. If the lack of religion was responsible for the increase in the divorce one, we would expect that atheists, a group of individuals who have NO religious ties, should demonstrate higher than normal rates of divorce. Conversely, we would expect that any other religious group, especially Christians (due to their supposed high regard for marriage in this country), should have a considerably lower rate of divorce when compared to a group such as atheists. Instead, we see the exact opposite. The religious groups considered in the study presented by Anton all have divorce rates that are higher than the atheists. Not only that, but the population of atheists is significantly less than Christians in the U.S., so to assume that a minority such as atheists is contributing to the increase in the divorce rate is absurd and unsubstantiated when it's already been shown that atheists have a lower divorce rate. So, unless you can provide evidence to support your claims (something I've asked you to do many times), you continue to look more and more like a fool.

I don't understand why he's acting like the conclusion I drew from reading his assertions, and the evidence I provided refuting them is a leap of logic.

I don't understand why he's acting like the conclusion I drew from reading his assertions, and the evidence I provided refuting them is a leap of logic.

Because he refuses to be wrong despite making claims out of his behind.

Because he refuses to be wrong despite making claims out of his behind.

Back
Top Bottom