Why ride fixed? Vol. Bike Parties

Someone please school me on the Fixie hype.  Why would you want to ride a bike with no breaks and can't coast?

Thanks in advance.

Someone please school me on the Fixie hype.  Why would you want to ride a bike with no breaks and can't coast?

Thanks in advance.

To put it in simple terms
1. It's extremely fun.
2. It can be cheaper to build a fixie than a traditional single speed
3. It looks more aesthetically pleasing (less crap like brake levers and shifters and cables etc.)
4. They go faster

Do you have any specific questions? also there is a huge thread in general

1. It's extremely fun.
3. It looks more aesthetically pleasing (less crap like brake levers and shifters and cables etc.)
4. They go faster

Originally Posted by calibeebee

1. It's extremely fun.
4. They go faster

" It can be cheaper to build a fixie than a traditional single speed"
WHAT THE %@%+ ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? It's cheaper to build a fixed gear? Why? Because it costs a whopping $20-50 bucks to buy a brake and a brake lever with some cable? Honestly, if your ability between cheap and expensive is under $50, go find another hobby.

"They go faster"
Again, what the hell are you talking about? How in the world is a fixed gear faster then a road bike? That is about the most asinine answer I've EVER heard. First, you don't even know what gear ratio you, him, me or anybody is running so you can't make a generalization that you'd be "faster." You wanna see who's faster on a 10% incline that's a mile long with your 48x16 gear ratio fixed gear vs my 20 speed road bike?

Aside from reason #3, your reasons are absolutely horrible.

To ROB,

Reasons to ride fixed,
1. Because you cannot coast on a fixed gear, you understand the translation of your pedaling to the power you exert on a bike. If you're into cars, it's similar to base horsepower vs wheel horsepower.
2. It's a cleaner look (People like the look of simplicity)
3. It's cheaper to maintain. Less parts = less things that break = less things to fix. This was the original reason why many people would ride fixed. Because it can be cheaper than a ROAD bike due to less parts which was integral for bicycle messengers (who kind of started the whole fixed gear scene way back when).

Honestly, I ride both, know plenty of people who ride both, and after riding fixed for 3 years, I HATE riding my fixed bike compared to my road
roll.gif

1. It's extremely fun.
4. They go faster

WHAT THE %@%+ ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? It's cheaper to build a fixed gear? Why? Because it costs a whopping $20-50 bucks to buy a brake and a brake lever with some cable? Honestly, if your ability between cheap and expensive is under $50, go find another hobby.

"They go faster"
Again, what the hell are you talking about? How in the world is a fixed gear faster then a road bike? That is about the most asinine answer I've EVER heard. First, you don't even know what gear ratio you, him, me or anybody is running so you can't make a generalization that you'd be "faster." You wanna see who's faster on a 10% incline that's a mile long with your 48x16 gear ratio fixed gear vs my 20 speed road bike?

To ROB,

Reasons to ride fixed,
1. Because you cannot coast on a fixed gear, you understand the translation of your pedaling to the power you exert on a bike. If you're into cars, it's similar to base horsepower vs wheel horsepower.
3. It's cheaper to maintain. Less parts = less things that break = less things to fix. This was the original reason why many people would ride fixed. Because it can be cheaper than a ROAD bike due to less parts which was integral for bicycle messengers (who kind of started the whole fixed gear scene way back when).

Honestly, I ride both, know plenty of people who ride both, and after riding fixed for 3 years, I HATE riding my fixed bike compared to my road
roll.gif

oh i just realized probably the biggest reason why people ride fixed. most people that ride fixed are in a certain age group which allows for easier socialization. whereas if you rode mtb or road, you may get your 20 year old riding with a 55 year old. most fixed gear riders are pretty close in age and can relate to each other which could allow for a better riding experience (and the parties i guess)

oh i just realized probably the biggest reason why people ride fixed. most people that ride fixed are in a certain age group which allows for easier socialization. whereas if you rode mtb or road, you may get your 20 year old riding with a 55 year old. most fixed gear riders are pretty close in age and can relate to each other which could allow for a better riding experience (and the parties i guess)

oh thats right noice. i think i remember asking you how the turbo saddle was..

sweet ride though. jealous

how much did you drop all together?

Originally Posted by tommykairaa

i dont know. i never really added up the costs and i got a lot of the parts at cost or below cost and didnt have to pay for any wheel buildup or labor. it's one of the benefits of running a regional fixed gear forum.

Originally Posted by tommykairaa

i dont know. i never really added up the costs and i got a lot of the parts at cost or below cost and didnt have to pay for any wheel buildup or labor. it's one of the benefits of running a regional fixed gear forum.

i will never comprehend how anyone can ride without breaks. i dont care how great of a rider you are, some things are out of your control. If a car runs a stop sign, or if another biker is turning the corner, or if a pedestrian doesnt see you, you have to have breaks.

i will never comprehend how anyone can ride without breaks. i dont care how great of a rider you are, some things are out of your control. If a car runs a stop sign, or if another biker is turning the corner, or if a pedestrian doesnt see you, you have to have breaks.

Originally Posted by k0betw0

1. It's extremely fun.
4. They go faster

"They go faster"

To ROB,

Reasons to ride fixed,

roll.gif
Snob

People like you take the fun out of riding a bike.

1. It's extremely fun.
4. They go faster

"They go faster"

To ROB,

Reasons to ride fixed,

roll.gif
Snob

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

1. It's extremely fun.
4. They go faster

"They go faster"

To ROB,

Reasons to ride fixed,

roll.gif
Snob

that's ridiculous. I have more respect for him than any of you dudes who are locked into fixie mode. He obviously has a fixed gear bike, and a road bike, and understands the limitations of both. Use the best bike for the situation. Nothing wrong with any kind of bike be it fixed, road, mtb. Theyre all fun.

enjoy your kilo or pista.

Back
Top Bottom