Work Experience vs College Degree

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

as a college graduate...I would opt to say that while a college degree increases in your mind you own "status"...work experience is more important.

agreed.

but a lot of times, the degree is a prereq for the job so...im thankful i have one... the job/paid internship im in was based solely on our degrees (none having anything to do wit the job of civilian logistics with the Army)

Nepotism will be the death of us. That 'who you know' stuff is tired and cliche. I've seen folks not know a soul at any of the jobs I've had get hired.

If you're a good person and present yourself well you've got a great chance imo.

But after trying to switch career paths and seeing how tough it can be, I'll say experience > degree.

Nepotism will be the death of us. That 'who you know' stuff is tired and cliche. I've seen folks not know a soul at any of the jobs I've had get hired.

If you're a good person and present yourself well you've got a great chance imo.

But after trying to switch career paths and seeing how tough it can be, I'll say experience > degree.

I work in HR and have a masters degree and experience but its tough to get a job even if you have both. I have a job now but I'm currently looking for a job and have been on a few interviews and they have hardly even said anything about my Masters degree, they only want to know about my experience and what I've done. It's all about experience........

I work in HR and have a masters degree and experience but its tough to get a job even if you have both. I have a job now but I'm currently looking for a job and have been on a few interviews and they have hardly even said anything about my Masters degree, they only want to know about my experience and what I've done. It's all about experience........

Originally Posted by DwyaneWadeOG

your sister got her internships because she was enrolled in college. hence, she got her job at the NSA because of her experience in college.

Exactly. Good luck competing for internships with college students if you don't have a degree. Work experience may be crucial to getting a job, but getting work experience isn't all that easy either.

Originally Posted by DwyaneWadeOG

your sister got her internships because she was enrolled in college. hence, she got her job at the NSA because of her experience in college.

Exactly. Good luck competing for internships with college students if you don't have a degree. Work experience may be crucial to getting a job, but getting work experience isn't all that easy either.

When I was in college, a woman in one of my classes was about 30 years old and the professor went around the room asking us what our reasons were for going to college. The 30 year old woman said she's been working at a financial firm for 5-6 years w/o a degree and was making pretty good money and there was an available position that paid better than hers that she wanted. But when she told her boss that she was interested in that position, he told her that she wasn't qualified for the position because she didn't have a Bachelor's Degree. So she came back just to finish up a few semesters and get the position. So anybody that says a degree has ZERO advantages is lying to you.

When I was in college, a woman in one of my classes was about 30 years old and the professor went around the room asking us what our reasons were for going to college. The 30 year old woman said she's been working at a financial firm for 5-6 years w/o a degree and was making pretty good money and there was an available position that paid better than hers that she wanted. But when she told her boss that she was interested in that position, he told her that she wasn't qualified for the position because she didn't have a Bachelor's Degree. So she came back just to finish up a few semesters and get the position. So anybody that says a degree has ZERO advantages is lying to you.

Originally Posted by MHT214

Get a degree....and on your way to getting it; network and intern...

Bingo. All three are important. With the job market being the way it is do you want to lose out on the job because the other candidate has a degree. College opens a ton of doors it's up to people to walk through them. I know people that started making good money out of HS doing manual labor jobs. When the economy dried up, so did their job. Their network consisted of people that worked in factories who are also out of jobs. A lot of friends are in construction, union, whole nine yards making good money. They will be doing their trade for their whole life, and some are hard on the body. It also helps to work during college, find a balance between work, studies and social life. Build your resume while in school by volunteering, interning or working in any field in involving kids. I managed/supervised an after school program, 20 hours a week @ $15 hour and looked great on a resume.

Bingo. All three are important. With the job market being the way it is do you want to lose out on the job because the other candidate has a degree. College opens a ton of doors it's up to people to walk through them. I know people that started making good money out of HS doing manual labor jobs. When the economy dried up, so did their job. Their network consisted of people that worked in factories who are also out of jobs. A lot of friends are in construction, union, whole nine yards making good money. They will be doing their trade for their whole life, and some are hard on the body. It also helps to work during college, find a balance between work, studies and social life. Build your resume while in school by volunteering, interning or working in any field in involving kids. I managed/supervised an after school program, 20 hours a week @ $15 hour and looked great on a resume.

i don't know why so many people struggle with this concept.
laugh.gif

i understand that some have financial constraints, but i've seen people attempt to make every argument for NOT going to college..bringing up Bill Gates, etc. 

at the end of the day, if you're busy looking for excuses not to get a degree you probably aren't the type of person who will do well in the workforce on their own. and if you do have the motivation to succeed without a degree, then going to college will only open you to even more opportunities. 

i don't know why so many people struggle with this concept.
laugh.gif

i understand that some have financial constraints, but i've seen people attempt to make every argument for NOT going to college..bringing up Bill Gates, etc. 

at the end of the day, if you're busy looking for excuses not to get a degree you probably aren't the type of person who will do well in the workforce on their own. and if you do have the motivation to succeed without a degree, then going to college will only open you to even more opportunities. 

College Degree = New High School degree.  Might not be as good as experience, but it's pretty much a baseline minimum qualification.  Also, when your dad started working let's say 20 years ago, a degree was not necessarily a prerequisite.

College Degree = New High School degree.  Might not be as good as experience, but it's pretty much a baseline minimum qualification.  Also, when your dad started working let's say 20 years ago, a degree was not necessarily a prerequisite.

Originally Posted by krazy88s

there's a million good people who present themselves well looking for jobs right now.  you stand a much better chance if you know someone within the company who will say "look at this good person instead of that one"

Originally Posted by krazy88s

there's a million good people who present themselves well looking for jobs right now.  you stand a much better chance if you know someone within the company who will say "look at this good person instead of that one"

Yes work experience is important, but your sister probably wouldnt have gotten those internships to gain that experience if she wasnt in college. Really hard to find an internship when you arent a student of some kind.

I also see alot of jobs that wont even look at candidates if you dont have a college degree. You have to have a college degree to even be a cop where I live.

A jo aint getting paid off knowing their addition and multiples. Get that experience boy, learn how to work it.

A jo aint getting paid off knowing their addition and multiples. Get that experience boy, learn how to work it.

Yes work experience is important, but your sister probably wouldnt have gotten those internships to gain that experience if she wasnt in college. Really hard to find an internship when you arent a student of some kind.

I also see alot of jobs that wont even look at candidates if you dont have a college degree. You have to have a college degree to even be a cop where I live.

dude,
it's like the nature vs nurture argument...

they are both factors

life isn't black & white, one or the other

but if you don't have a min. 4 year college degree,
you better be impressive

dude,
it's like the nature vs nurture argument...

they are both factors

life isn't black & white, one or the other

but if you don't have a min. 4 year college degree,
you better be impressive

Back
Top Bottom