Wow, so Verizon have officially took off contracts

Lol at cats saying who still uses contracts... smart people thats who haha thats why theyre stopping it haha. Ive saved thousandsssss of dollars the past 10 year getting subsidized pricing. Never had any intentions of switching so i jus re up n get new phones for the low. Ive probably spent about a grand on phones in 10 years and i always have the best phones out and upgrade every 9 months or so

But you get a $700 smartphone for $100 on subsidy because the leftover amount is baked into your inflated monthly pricing.

If you upgrade all the time like you that probably isn't an issue.  But for the people that upgrade every 2 years, they're paying more in the end because they're still making those baked in payments even though that phone could've been paid off if they bought it full price and made monthly payments.  

At least with no contracts/monthly payments on phones your bill drops once you've paid for your device.  

Lol at cats saying who still uses contracts... smart people thats who haha thats why theyre stopping it haha. Ive saved thousandsssss of dollars the past 10 year getting subsidized pricing. Never had any intentions of switching so i jus re up n get new phones for the low. Ive probably spent about a grand on phones in 10 years and i always have the best phones out and upgrade every 9 months or so

But you get a $700 smartphone for $100 on subsidy because the leftover amount is baked into your inflated monthly pricing.

If you upgrade all the time like you that probably isn't an issue.  But for the people that upgrade every 2 years, they're paying more in the end because they're still making those baked in payments even though that phone could've been paid off if they bought it full price and made monthly payments.  

At least with no contracts/monthly payments on phones your bill drops once you've paid for your device.  

Please elaborate as to what cost reductions one can expect.
Will data plans be cheaper? Will voice plans be cheaper, texts?

Unless phone companies plan on bringing down the price of their service I don't see how this works out for the consumer.

Last edited:
I've taken road trips, recently took one to grand canyon and hoover dam. No issues, rural spots in Florida good too. They really expanded their coverage.

voice yeah, data not so much

Man, I've been on T Mobile for two years now or so. Before that I had Sprint, and that was horrible. T Mobile is great on calls and texts. When it comes to Data, my father and I had the plan where it's 1gb of 4GLTE and then it slows down after that. It angered me so much, whenever I was out of town and REALLY needed to use the navigation, it wouldn't work. I wouldn't even go on the internet cause it was so slow after that 1 gb. My last job site was a 6 story building and I didn't get any data in there.

Went on Friday and now my old man and I are on this plan where we pay $100 a month for unlimited talk and text with 10 gb of data each. If my phone doesn't work smoothly the whole month, I might be considering going over to Verizon, if they settle their issues with the IBEW.

Whats the point? Discourage smart phone purchases?
Is the network overloaded or somehting?

This is not discouraging smartphone purchases at all. Educate yourself B. In a contract you pay more monthly, so that phone you are getting "free" it is just built into the plan cost you are contracted into for 2 years. THis is not a fair practice, as someone with a $100 smartphone is paying the same as someone with a $800 smartphone. The no contract options put more freedom in your hands as a consumer, if you don't need the best phone your bill will be A LOT cheaper. Also no more waiting 2 years to get a new phone. Phones these days are outdated quickly, nobody wants that 2 year old device, no contracts allow you to upgrade to the next greatest thing when YOU want.

Wireless companies have fooled people like you into thinking contracts are the best thing ever, I suggest you look at cost breakdowns and see how much of a sham they were.

Dude asked a simple question, and you took it as signal he wanted the response in the most condescending douche bag tone possible :smh: :lol:

Lol.

No contract people think they enlightened.
You going to need a cellular phone for the next two years anyways, how is a contract holding you down?

Team Contract

Please elaborate as to what cost reductions one can expect?
Will data plans be cheaper? Will voice plans be cheaper, texts?

Unless phone companies plan on bringing down the price of their service I don't see how this works out for the consumer.
I can't speak for any other carrier besides TMO.  But when I was under contract I was paying more monthly than I am now.  It isn't drastically cheaper--but it is less.  

It's pretty simple really....when you finish paying off your device, that portion of your bill is no longer there.  Thus your bill will be lower.  With contracts you're paying the exact same price every month, even though you've essentially paid off your $700 device months ago.  Trust that carriers aren't selling iPhones for $199 a pop--they make up the remaining $500 of the $700 MSRP by inflating your bill.  

It also gives the consumer more options.  Want a new phone a month after you bought an iPhone?  Sell it, pay off the remaining balance and get a new phone.  That just isn't possible with contracts because you don't get upgrades that soon.  

Contract free is just another choice for the consumer really.  When you break it down it really does make sense.  Who doesn't want to save a little bit of money?  But hey, if contracts are your thing, keep doing you.  Nothing wrong with that, either.  

If it isn't drastically cheaper than you're still not really saving money.
Unless the bill is at least 20 dollars cheaper a month, it isn't enough to offset the extra 500 you are paying for your phone out of contract.

And if you're so eager to save a few dollars why are you buying an iphone for full msrp and then possibly look to get a another phone just 1 month later?

I find a lot of people talk a lot about how bad contracts are but I usually find that these people don't change carriers and they stick with their phones for well more than 1 month.
So I don't really see where it makes any sense:

If it isn't drastically cheaper than you're still not really saving money.
Unless the bill is at least 20 dollars cheaper a month, it isn't enough to offset the extra 500 you are paying for your phone out of contract.

And if you're so eager to save a few dollars why are you buying an iphone for full msrp and then possibly look to get a another phone just 1 month later?

I find a lot of people talk a lot about how bad contracts are but I usually find that these people don't change carriers and they stick with their phones for well more than 1 month.
So I don't really see where it makes any sense:
In my case, the bill was $30 a month cheaper month to month than on contract at the time (4 years ago). Then you have to factor in the tax savings as well on that $30. Over two years that comes out to near $800, not to mention the $200 down for the upgrade. The average contract is $20-30 more than the no contract options.

I don't mind the 2 year contract.

Yes I'll have the flexibility of buying a new phone when I want, but I don't need a new phone every 2 months. Paying an extra $500 for the phone, means my plan should be $20 lower a month. If it's not, then I still don't see the benefit for me. For guys that like to upgrade every few months, I guess it makes sense.

AT&T plan.... Unlimited everything with iphone (original iphone special deal wen it first came out = 40$)

Every 2 years they tell me I need to get a new contract they got something better with unlimited everything for 80... I ask y wood I pay double for the same just renew my contract n they get mad and have to do it.... My contract will b good until I say I don't want it no more there beat and I get a free new iphone every year.

Again, I can't speak for any other carrier or anyone else.  But I saved over $20/month on my 3 line family plan.  It's actually more like $40/month.  

And saving money isn't about right now all the time.  Even if you pay full MSRP up front for a phone you're STILL coming out ahead in the end.  The bottom line is what matters to me.  

Personally, I haven't had to come out of pocket for a new iPhone other than monthly payments since TMO finally started carrying it (iPhone 5).  I paid $99.99 plus the full tax on MSRP up front back then and I've been able to sell each one, pay off the remaining balance it and still have enough left over to cover the next $99.99 + full MSRP tax.  Just one of the perks of no contracts, IMO.  

I was team contract but since companies are starting to move on ill switch to team buy it all. I came across this great article regarding thsese types od plans

. AT&T unveiled its new Next plan today, which allows you to pay a small monthly fee for the privilege of upgrading your phone every year without a down payment. It's an obvious response to T-Mobile's Jump plan, which costs $10 a month and allows for an upgrade every six months. Both plans sound like a great idea: you'll get a new phone much faster than before, without having to pay full price up front or resigning your contract every time.

The big differences with AT&T's Next plan are that it costs anywhere from $15 to $50 a month depending on which phone you buy, and also that it's an absolutely clear ripoff designed to cheat customers into paying full price for their phone without actually buying anything.

NEXT IS AN ABSOLUTELY CLEAR RIPOFF

Let's do the math: AT&T says that the Samsung Galaxy S4 will have a monthly installment fee of $32, on top of your existing AT&T service fees, which already include a device subsidy. The exact amount of that subsidy is unknown — AT&T declined to comment when I asked — but most industry estimates have put it at something like $20 per month. That's how you can get a GS4 for $199 with a new two-year contract, even though it costs $620 at retail: after two years, AT&T will have collected $680 in total device payments from you, and you get to keep the phone.

But the balance tips entirely towards AT&T with Next. Assuming that same $20 subsidy, after 12 months of Next you will have paid AT&T $384 in Next monthly installments and $240 in device subsidies, for a grand total of $620. Again, that's exactly the full retail cost of an unlocked Galaxy S4 — but you don't get to keep that phone, even though you just paid full price for it. You have to trade it in to get a new phone — effectively giving AT&T a free GS4 to refurbish and resell to its next unwitting customer.

Now, you do get to keep your Next phone if you pay 20 monthly installments, which will cost you a whopping $1,040 if you assume a $20 subsidy: $640 in Next payments, plus $400 in subsidies built into your AT&T plan. That's $420 in pure profit for AT&T, which just made you pay full price for a phone while charging you inflated service prices that include a subsidy specifically designed to lower the upfront cost of that phone.

AT&T'S REACTION TO T-MOBILE'S TRANSPARENCY IS TO BE MORE DECEPTIVE THAN EVER

There simply isn't a scenario in which paying for Next is better than just buying an unlocked phone at retail — AT&T is fundamentally taking advantage of consumers trained to think new phones are a magical gift bestowed on them by greedy, controlling wireless carriers. And as a response to T-Mobile's Jump plans, it's as cynical as it gets: Jump may not be the best deal, but at least T-Mobile CEO John Legere is outspoken in his desire to transparently decouple the cost of wireless service from the cost of phones themselves. AT&T's reaction is apparently to be more deceptive than ever.

Last edited:
Price difference between contract and none contracted plans are small. But none contracted plans are almost the best choice because of the on going carrier fights to entice customers, which is good for me and you!

The main take away is that if you sign-up with a company that don't offer "Contract plans" like T-Mobile for instance, you get a "GSM" phone that will work globally (meaning it will work almost anywhere) with an added "Wi-Fi calling" feature (Voice over iP). And this is important why you ask? In any case you have a crappy service or just want to switch carriers for whatever reason, YOU CAN JUMP SHIP TO A DIFFERENT COMPANY AND USE THE SAME PHONE (obviously after paying the remaining of what you owe on the phone). But-No-Contract obligations (i.e.: Termination Fees)! Also the WiFi calling feature (which is only available on T-Mobile phones...I think) allows you to make phone calls over WiFi when service is weak and that same feature will allow you to call back the states if you are outside of the country FOR FREE. Not to mention they do offer free data roaming abroad :smokin (unlimited data in other countries = huge)

Also a carrier like T-Mobile offers rate plans with No-Overages, you can sign up for their simple $60 dollar plan for instances which comes with unlimited talk/text and more importantly 3GB...BUT it is technically unlimited. Once your surpass that 3GB, you get throttled in Speed (Meaning you drop from 4GLTE to 2GSpeed) = no overages, no surprise fee's (shout out to Verizon and AT&T ) . T-Mobile have Unlimited data for $80 (technically speaking, they can cap you at 20GB depending on your usage along with other users in the surrounding area). Also they do ROLL-OVER data, whatever data you haven't used carries over to the next month. Another important factor to some would be, Tethering. T-Mobile allows you to use your data as a hot spot.

Like others have said though, T-Mobile isn't anywhere close to having the coverage spectrum as Verizon...BUT they are aiming to take over. I doubt that will happen but it is trending that way. If Verizon offers the same plan as T-Mobile with the coverage reach they have, they will clearly take over everything.

Last edited:
How much you dudes paying for unlimited Data
nerd.gif
 that's what I need. 

Last edited:
Doesn't effect me really. I've been buying my phones at retail to keep my unlimited data. Buying phones on eBay FTW

Price difference between contract and none contracted plans are small. But none contracted plans are almost the best choice because of the on going carrier fights to entice customers, which is good for me and you!

The main take away is that if you sign-up with a company that don't offer "Contract plans" like T-Mobile for instance, you get a "GSM" phone that will work globally (meaning it will work almost anywhere) with an added "Wi-Fi calling" feature (Voice over iP). And this is important why you ask? In any case you have a crappy service or just want to switch carriers for whatever reason, YOU CAN JUMP SHIP TO A DIFFERENT COMPANY AND USE THE SAME PHONE (obviously after paying the remaining of what you owe on the phone). But-No-Contract obligations (i.e.: Termination Fees)! Also the WiFi calling feature (which is only available on T-Mobile phones...I think) allows you to make phone calls over WiFi when service is weak and that same feature will allow you to call back the states if you are outside of the country FOR FREE. Not to mention they do offer free data roaming abroad :smokin (unlimited data in other countries = huge)

Also a carrier like T-Mobile offers rate plans with No-Overages, you can sign up for their simple $60 dollar plan for instances which comes with unlimited talk/text and more importantly 3GB...BUT it is technically unlimited. Once your surpass that 3GB, you get throttled in Speed (Meaning you drop from 4GLTE to 2GSpeed) = no overages, no surprise fee's (shout out to Verizon and AT&T ) . T-Mobile have Unlimited data for $80 (technically speaking, they can cap you at 20GB depending on your usage along with other users in the surrounding area). Also they do ROLL-OVER data, whatever data you haven't used carries over to the next month. Another important factor to some would be, Tethering. T-Mobile allows you to use your data as a hot spot.

Like others have said though, T-Mobile isn't anywhere close to having the coverage spectrum as Verizon...BUT they are aiming to take over. I doubt that will happen but it is trending that way. If Verizon offers the same plan as T-Mobile with the coverage reach they have, they will clearly take over everything.

I looked into Verizon. I was still going to be like 135 just for myself for 10 gb of data. If Verizon were to go down to T mobile price, I think they would take over.

Any of these plans will save me money over what I currently pay. Not having to pay for the corporate data package will save me a fortune.

remember with no contract plans where you're paying full price for the phone, after the phone is paid off, your bill should be going down to where you're just paying for the service.

I love what T-Mobile has done to the industry. Even though their service is not the best, I still give them my business no my family plan and use Cricket Wireless too on a dual sim phone

Back
Top Bottom