Wow....

crafsty21 you're justifying stupidity and callousness rather than humor or irreverence here

there's a line you don't cross when it comes to private and personal matters of this kind. there's no way around that

ska, you have a lot more patience than i do on this site trying to lead some people from point a to point b

i give you credit because i just tend give up on most folks who can't see the ridiculous things they try to defend or justify

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

^ So let me paint a hypothetical picture for you, based on how I've interpreted your argument.

You're an NFL coach.

You're a model NFL coach, seen as an awesome family man. Everyone knows your story of you and your wife, which is that you two have known each other since junior high, never had any other boyfriends/girlfriends, and you guys married in college, 13 years ago. You have 3 kids, the youngest of which is 7 months old.

You take a huge hit in the middle of the season after learning that your youngest... isn't yours. She cheated on you, and the child is not yours.

That Sunday, you still go to the game and coach, like you're supposed to, because that's your job and you're a super awesome guy.

The entire game, some guy behind you keeps yelling, "I'm the father, Coach!
laugh.gif
" Later, you get mad at a play on the field and you slam your clipboard down. Then you hear that guy again. "What are you slamming down, Coach? The paternity test results?
laugh.gif
"

You don't get mad at him? You don't think he's crossed the line? You just think, "Enh... at least he's not physically harming me. It's just jokes. Everyone laugh at his funny jokes.
laugh.gif
Funny guy. What a funny guy he is"?

Of course I think he's crossed the line, but that's ME in that one certain situation... i take that in context though, because I know that if thatguy was doing it to somebody else, I'd probably be laughing at it.

People take themselves way too seriously. Is it touching on sensitive issues? Yes, that's why it's funny.

Nobody thought it was "okay" to joke about 9/11, or Hurricane Katrina right away... but you know what, there are things that you can bring out aboutbad situations to get a laugh out of - sometimes it's at somebody's expense, and big freaking deal. As I said before - it's JUST WORDS. Nobody istaking that guy in the parking lot seriously, everybody is just sharing a good laugh about someone else's misfortune because they've all been on theother side of the tracks before, too.

You guys will continue to say - "but wouldn't YOU be offended if... "... and the answer is almost always going to be no, so long as theyhaven't done any real harm to me, my family, or friends. If you consider real harm, somebody taking a shot at your troubled personal life, then I worryhow you'd react if somebody REALLY came at you. For one, you're a public figure - deal with it. It comes with the territory, for better and forworse. Therefore, you've gotta have thick skin and not worry about what people who dislike you or your team are saying - that sort of stuff has been goingon FOREVER.. it's what sports are all about, again - for better or worse.

You're really making a big stink out of it though, imo. But then again, i goto bat for free speech and the 1st ammendment anytime it's called intoquestion, especially when dealing with things like comedy or parody... don't ask me why, just kind of a personal vendetta as I think some people are tryingto crush this form of free speech (as they too probably can't take a good laugh at themselves often enough).

Would I want the same situation happen to me as happened to Reid? No - nobody likes getting called out on stuff. But I'd be a lot more concerned with theactual problems themselves (his family) than the people making jokes about it in the opposing teams stands. Take care of your family and the jokes won'tmean a thing to you anyways b/c they'll no longer be relevant.

How am I making a big stink out it?

I simply pose a scenario to you, curious of how you would feel about it.

That = raising a big stink?

As far as the comment 'everyone is just getting a good laugh off of someone else's misfortune because they have been on the other side of thetracks': that raises an interesting point. Say I had cancer. If you have had cancer as well, I would laugh with the jokes you made about me being bald andwhatever other jokes you might have. But if you hadn't had cancer, I would think you were being an insensitive prick.

And to back that up, I never laughed at one 'Lance Armstrong only has one testicle' joke... UNTIL... I heard him laugh about it for the first time atan ESPYs. If it's good enough for him to laugh at, then who am I to say, "Hey, nobody laugh!"?

But I don't see Reid laughing about his son's drug problem. Matter of fact, I've seen him pretty distraught over it.

How am I making a big stink out it?

I simply pose a scenario to you, curious of how you would feel about it.

That = raising a big stink?

As far as the comment 'everyone is just getting a good laugh off of someone else's misfortune because they have been on the other side of the tracks': that raises an interesting point. Say I had cancer. If you have had cancer as well, I would laugh with the jokes you made about me being bald and whatever other jokes you might have. But if you hadn't had cancer, I would think you were being an insensitive prick.

And to back that up, I never laughed at one 'Lance Armstrong only has one testicle' joke... UNTIL... I heard him laugh about it for the first time at an ESPYs. If it's good enough for him to laugh at, then who am I to say, "Hey, nobody laugh!"?

But I don't see Reid laughing about his son's drug problem. Matter of fact, I've seen him pretty distraught over it.

You don't wait for the person to laugh at a joke about themselves to tell yourself whether or not it's funny - that's called being gutless,imo. Something is either funny or it's not, if you need the security of knowing you won't offend anybody for laughing, don't even bother. Shouldwe wait til Mike Vick starts laughing at all the jokes about him being in jail before the rest of us can have a good laugh? Hell NAW.. i'm sure they hurthim pretty fierce though, but a joke isn't about the person in the punchline's feelings.. it's about the guy telling it, and the guy hearing it.
I know what you're saying as far as taking things too far or going somewhere too soon - but these sort of things don't enter intosomebody's mind when they're truly trying to go after an angle. They can't.

And again - Reid is only upset about the jokes because they ring true with him. If he were to step down and take care of his family for awhile, I think a lotof the jokes would become pretty pointless since he's a) not there, and b) doing what he's gotta do and fix things. Until then, he's fair game andshouldn't be so offended, since none of these people truly know him or his family.

Bad sign but I want to know how his boys are walking free after what they did knowing if they were black they be done for life.

^ So let me paint a hypothetical picture for you, based on how I've interpreted your argument.

You're an NFL coach.

You're a model NFL coach, seen as an awesome family man. Everyone knows your story of you and your wife, which is that you two have known each other since junior high, never had any other boyfriends/girlfriends, and you guys married in college, 13 years ago. You have 3 kids, the youngest of which is 7 months old.

You take a huge hit in the middle of the season after learning that your youngest... isn't yours. She cheated on you, and the child is not yours.

That Sunday, you still go to the game and coach, like you're supposed to, because that's your job and you're a super awesome guy.

laugh.gif
" Later, you get mad at a play on the field and you slam your clipboard down. Then you hear that guy again. "What are you slamming down, Coach? The paternity test results?
laugh.gif
"

You don't get mad at him? You don't think he's crossed the line? You just think, "Enh... at least he's not physically harming me. It's just jokes. Everyone laugh at his funny jokes.
laugh.gif

Terrible example.

The coach in the example had no control over his wife cheating on him and tricking him into raising another man's baby. That's why natural disastersand life-threatening illnesses are off-limits. They're situations that could happen to anyone at no fault of their own.

Andy Reid letting his sons run amuck causing crimes throughout Philly and doin drugs while they're living in his house and he's funding it all issomething he has control over. That's the difference. That's why you can make fun of Andy Reid's bad parenting. He got himself in this situation.If you want to use examples/metaphors... Andy Reid made his bed, now he must lie in it.

Originally Posted by Juan Baller

You're an NFL coach.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
"

laugh.gif

Terrible example.

The coach in the example had no control over his wife cheating on him and tricking him into raising another man's baby. That's why natural disasters and life-threatening illnesses are off-limits. They're situations that could happen to anyone at no fault of their own.

Andy Reid letting his sons run amuck causing crimes throughout Philly and doin drugs while they're living in his house and he's funding it all is something he has control over. That's the difference. That's why you can make fun of Andy Reid's bad parenting. He got himself in this situation. If you want to use examples/metaphors... Andy Reid made his bed, now he must lie in it.

It's not even about that to me - but I agree with you in this instance. To me - nothing is off limits.. can't be.

at first i was realy upset because it was the Eagles
happy.gif
but then as iread some replies i felt like i had no room to talk
frown.gif
at me

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

It's not even about that to me - but I agree with you in this instance. To me - nothing is off limits.. can't be.

Not even a "Will someone please stab Paul Pierce" sign?

laugh.gif
made me laugh, ya see?

Nah - like i said, if you're like calling for bodily harm to dude, that's one thing... that's also illegal as far as I know.

And it depends on venue too - some stuff isn't allowed inside arenas that would be perfectly acceptable outside at the tailgate or whatever... andintent has to matter too.

laugh.gif
made me laugh, ya see?

Nah - like i said, if you're like calling for bodily harm to dude, that's one thing... that's also illegal as far as I know.

And it depends on venue too - some stuff isn't allowed inside arenas that would be perfectly acceptable outside at the tailgate or whatever... and intent has to matter too.

I agree it's funny. But I think funny and off-limits are two different things. There are plenty of jokes I tell my boys that I wouldn't tell thepublic.

You're an NFL coach.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
"

laugh.gif
Juan Baller wrote:
Terrible example.

The coach in the example had no control over his wife cheating on him and tricking him into raising another man's baby. That's why natural disasters and life-threatening illnesses are off-limits. They're situations that could happen to anyone at no fault of their own.

Andy Reid letting his sons run amuck causing crimes throughout Philly and doin drugs while they're living in his house and he's funding it all is something he has control over. That's the difference. That's why you can make fun of Andy Reid's bad parenting. He got himself in this situation. If you want to use examples/metaphors... Andy Reid made his bed, now he must lie in it.

No, it's a perfectly fine example for the logic Craftsy was explaining to me. And since he wasthe one I was trying to understand and he was the one I was posing the hypothetical to, then it's a perfectly fine example.

Apparently, it doesn't work for you, but it doesn't have to; it wasn't posed to you. It was posed to him to try and better understand where he wascoming from.

Clearly, you have a different set of standards, one that includes power and control. If someone is suffering from something that ave some control over, thenit's fine to joke about that. Reid's son's problems are at least a little bit in Reid's control, so you think that it's o.k. to joke aboutthat. Right? But someone being cheated on... that's completely out of their control, so that's out of bounds. Right?

That's fine for you, but that's not what Craftsy said. If it were you and I were trying to betterunderstand you, I would have thought of a different, more fitting hypothetical.

But it wasn't you.
wink.gif

He was suggesting that nothing is off limits. To me, 'nothing' means 'nothing', so I posed a fairly difficult hypothetical that isn't toounlikely to happen to see his response.

But for you, situations that are out of your control are off-limits. So my hpothetical would have been terrible to use... on you. But not him, because he was(and still is) suggesting that nothing is off-limits.

You're an NFL coach.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
"

laugh.gif
Juan Baller wrote:
Terrible example.

No, it's a perfectly fine example for the logic Craftsy was explaining to me. And since he was the one I was trying to understand and he was the one I was posing the hypothetical to, then it's a perfectly fine example.

Apparently, it doesn't work for you, but it doesn't have to; it wasn't posed to you. It was posed to him to try and better understand where he was coming from.

Clearly, you have a different set of standards, one that includes power and control. If someone is suffering from something that ave some control over, then it's fine to joke about that. Reid's son's problems are at least a little bit in Reid's control, so you think that it's o.k. to joke about that. Right? But someone being cheated on... that's completely out of their control, so that's out of bounds. Right?

That's fine for you, but that's not what Craftsy said. If it were you and I were trying to better understand you, I would have thought of a different, more fitting hypothetical.

But it wasn't you.
wink.gif

He was suggesting that nothing is off limits. To me, 'nothing' means 'nothing', so I posed a fairly difficult hypothetical that isn't too unlikely to happen to see his response.

But for you, situations that are out of your control are off-limits. So my hpothetical would have been terrible to use... on you. But not him, because he was (and still is) suggesting that nothing is off-limits.

My mistake... I thought it was an example to illustrate your original point that all family matters are off-limits because you initially posted this:

That's uncalled for.

Family matters = out of bounds
Natural disasters = out of bounds
Life-threatening illnesses (e.g., cancer) = out of bounds

Any chance, you could explain why all family matters should be "out of bounds." Why should unpleasant family matters that you're responsible forbringing about be off-limits?

Personally, I do think family matters are out of bounds, but as I'm sure you can see now, the hypothetical I posed to Craftsy was not an extension of myoriginal reply about what is out of bounds. It was simply a hypothetical to get a response for clarification.

At any rate...

Personally, I feel that family matters are out of bounds because I don't believe that family business is everyone's business. I could never make fun ofmy friend after learning that his son stole a police car, so I wouldn't make fun of a professional athlete or celebrity that went through the same thing. Iwould NEVER make fun of a friend that had a wayward son that had drug problems and school problems, so I can't laugh at Reid.

And about 'control' over issues; I am a firm believer in the power of good parenting, but it's naive to think that all perfectly raised kids turnout to be model citizens in society. All a parent can do is raise a child the way they HOPE the child will be, they can only ATTEMPT to instill certain valuesand HOPE that the child grasps those values. The child will STILL eventually begin to form his OWN characteristics, values, and beliefs, and they do NOT alwaysparallel what they were taught.

So no, Reid does NOT have complete control over this problem with his son, unless his son is a dummy and Reid is a marionette.

The dudes who pull this kind of crap are the dudes who get into fist fights with each other at their kid's little league games.

ok people need to relax ... it was funny, people are stupid, but it was funny ... as someone said above, philly cheered that irvin was hurt ... andy reidshould take care of his personal responsibilities so there isnt a chance for things like this ... i dont see how andy can get too mad
Say I had cancer. If you have had cancer as well, I would laugh with the jokes you made about me being bald and whatever other jokes you might have. But if you hadn't had cancer, I would think you were being an insensitive prick.

reaching

Originally Posted by toine2983

laugh.gif
smh.gif
That's almost as bad as that sign a fan had in the Bears/Saints NFC Championship Game.

"We'll finish what Katrina started."

laugh.gif
smh.gif

lol thats foul as hell

All you girls have your panties in a bunch... It's division rivals, nothings off-limits. You should hear the things they do in South American and in Europeduring matches... Liverpool fans have chants about the Munich Air Disaster whenever they play Manchester United for example...Man up.It's funny.

Back
Top Bottom