Xbox 720 Specs Leaked.... vol. or have they...

D

Deleted member 37754

Leaked planning documents from August 2010 indicate Microsoft is - or was - intending to launch a successor to the Xbox 360 by the end of 2013. The new console, referred to in the documents as "Xbox 720" or its codename "Yukon", would be six times more powerful than Xbox 360, with true 1080p output, full 3D support and a Blu-ray drive.

The leaked 56-page document was posted to Scribd, but has since been deleted "at the request of Covington & Burling LLP", a law firm which lists Microsoft among its clients. While that is suggestive, the authenticity of the documents has not been confirmed and so the following should be taken as rumour only. Even if the documents are legitimate, they were a draft from two years ago, and plans can change.

The leak describes the console's system specifications as having either six or eight ARM/Intel x86 CPU cores clocked at 2GHz, and 4GB of DDR4 memory. Launch units would have an additional 3.2GHz PowerPC CPU with three cores, the same as the Xbox 360, to provide backward compatibility. The plans indicate this backward compatibility hardware would be removed in later models, around three years after launch.

The system's GPU is not defined, but it would be capable of rendering at 1080p and supporting full 3D.

Microsoft plans for the next Xbox to have TV tuner and PVR functions for recording live TV, allowing it to be positioned as "the only box" consumers need for all their living room entertainment. An always-on low-power state would enable background recording while a separate processor would ensure that game performance is not impacted by recording tasks.

Describing something similar to the SmartGlass technology revealed at E3 earlier this month, the documents say it would be possible to play recorded shows, streaming media and possibly games on any "connected device" (such as a tablet) and there would be second screen functionality.

The new console would have a unified Windows 8 foundation enabling developers to build apps that target TVs via the Xbox in addition to PCs, tablets and smart phones. It would also support concurrent apps with multitasking.

"Yukon will enable the next step in cross screen functionality," the leaked documents claim. "At its most basic Yukon will be little different than a PC, Windows Phone or Slate albeit with a unique I/O interface. Developers and Creators will be able to deliver application experiences across three screens easily and dependably via HTML5 authoring and the scotch platform. The platform will enable cross platform game development to allow companion gaming experiences."

Microsoft's strategy with the Xbox from the start has been to take over your living room, with games as merely one component of the experience. With that in mind, the documents suggest Microsoft is more concerned about competition from Apple and Google than Sony and Nintendo.

"The battle is for the TV," it states, "and while we have advantages with Xbox, exclusive content and LIVE service, the competition especially from Apple will be intense as they push less functional but considerably lower priced approaches."

Microsoft expects Sony's next console to incorporate Google TV in some capacity.

The documents highlight cloud gaming pioneer OnLive as a possible "acquisition target", and show Microsoft plans to implement a cloud gaming service on Xbox and other devices by 2015: "Xbox experiences served up from the cloud. Instantly on any screen." This could make Xbox 720 the last Xbox, as it states consumers will "never need to upgrade hardware again".

Kinect 2.0 would be bundled with Xbox 720, with incremental improvements to the sensor technology including better accuracy, improved voice recognition, stereo imaging and support for tracking up to four players. Processing performance would be improved with dedicated hardware, and games would be able to "offer peripherals and accessories that heighten game immersion" - meaning props that the player can hold in their hands, which would interact with the sensor.

Looking further into the future, Microsoft's research center in Brazil is apparently working on an augmented reality glasses project codenamed "Fortaleza". Described as a "breakthrough heads up and hands-free device", these "Kinect Glasses" would initially be Wi-Fi enabled and launch in 2014, a year after the console. A 4G mobile version could be added another year later.

Microsoft will supposedly be revealing the Xbox 720 in January 2013 and launching it before the end of next year, with a price tag of US$299 (NZ$380).

We suspect that while this may have been the plan at the time it was written in 2010, the launch date has most likely been pushed back at least a year and the price tag won't be set in stone until much closer to release. If any of this is to be believed, that is.

-Gameplanet

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]i have all systems... and my xbox is Still the only one that gets run, ps3 is used for blu-ray, and i gave my wii to my 3 year old nephew... No knocks against PS as i do enjoy a select few games. [/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]I love the Box.......... [ronburgandy] heyyy oooooh [/ronburgandy]...... XBL, the system, games, and how interactive it is with entertainment. Streams, UFC, ESPN and a lot of other content. Obviously this is just a rumor, but it really sounds like they are doing everything in their power to make this a FULL entertainment system. I'm looking forward to it as well as seeing how great these games look (I'm not a 3D person at all, but playing a game or two in 3D would be kinda cool to try out.)[/color]

I have both, and it's the complete opposite for me.  PS3 gets a lot of burn due to PS exclusives: Uncharted, God of War...
XBOX bout to get burn 'cause of Gears of War 3, and my Elite was on the shelf due to the RROD (Second time 
mad.gif
), just got the new Star Wars looking XBOX... so yeah tell me how to maximize my XBOX 360 use...SRSLY

I like PS3 more than Xbox. I have the 360, but I'm still impressed every time I use one of my friends' PS3.

Better interface, free internet, better looking system, more exclusive. I do like the 360 controllers more and the game selection though.

no need for a PS3...

xbox >>> ____ ...

yeah i'm starting it off... come at me...

I liked the idea this one guy had at E3 that the new xbox would cost 100 and you just paid a cable fee.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

I have both, and it's the complete opposite for me.  PS3 gets a lot of burn due to PS exclusives: Uncharted, God of War...
XBOX bout to get burn 'cause of Gears of War 3, and my Elite was on the shelf due to the RROD (Second time 
mad.gif
), just got the new Star Wars looking XBOX... so yeah tell me how to maximize my XBOX 360 use...SRSLY

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]You have the older xbox yea? Get the newer version if you can, runs a lot better at least in my experience. No RROD... I had two elites, modded.[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]But I just mess with the apps, through those you can do anything. If you rent movies and/or have netflix you are set. Although i think ps3 has netflix as well. UFC PPVS can stream through, cheaper. It will also have every league season pass minus NFL [/color]
mad.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]... It just depends on what you like as far as entertainment. But there is a lot you can do.[/color]

Originally Posted by scshift

I like PS3 more than Xbox. I have the 360, but I'm still impressed every time I use one of my friends' PS3.

Better interface, free internet, better looking system, more exclusive. I do like the 360 controllers more and the game selection though.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]XBL is leaps and bounds >>>>>>>>> PS whatever it's called. It is just 50 bucks a year... very much worth it. XBL makes the XBOX more exclusive. personally i could care less how it looks personally, i want the functionality. And i like it actually, it's vertical and takes up less room.[/color]
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]I do wish it was backwards compatible, would love to play Conker again (among other games).[/color]

the fact that sore losers can hack me just because they hate to lose is a reason i dont have a 360

Originally Posted by im that one

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]XBL is leaps and bounds >>>>>>>>> PS whatever it's called. It is just 50 bucks a year... very much worth it. XBL makes the XBOX more exclusive. personally i could care less how it looks personally, i want the functionality. And i like it actually, it's vertical and takes up less room.[/color]
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]I do wish it was backwards compatible, would love to play Conker again (among other games).[/color]

Yeah agreed. The live system is very good, I'm just penny pinching. I've been lucky though, I always subscribe at the right times (2 months for $2 right now
pimp.gif
) or get 1 month cards from friends.

Overall though, I don't play enough video games to really have a dominant choice. I'd be happy with either.

I mean im not biased towards any system. Its the games that count, although I do like the 360 controller better than the PS3 controller.

im that one wrote:
scshift wrote:

Yeah agreed. The live system is very good, I'm just penny pinching. I've been lucky though, I always subscribe at the right times
(2 months for $2 right now
pimp.gif

Overall though, I don't play enough video games to really have a dominant choice. I'd be happy with either.

2139320_o.gif

Sony, please respond... Microsoft is doing a great job taking my money as of right now...

Originally Posted by BeatZ

the fact that sore losers can hack me just because they hate to lose is a reason i dont have a 360

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]... Kind of like a few sore people hacking an entire system, shutting it down, screwing with Sony and stealing credit card accounts?[/color]

Yeah agreed. The live system is very good, I'm just penny pinching. I've been lucky though, I always subscribe at the right times (2 months for $2 right now
pimp.gif

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]wait....... what?! [/color]
eek.gif

You have the older xbox yea? Get the newer version if you can, runs a lot better at least in my experience. No RROD... I had two elites, modded.

But I just mess with the apps, through those you can do anything. If you rent movies and/or have netflix you are set. Although i think ps3 has netflix as well. UFC PPVS can stream through, cheaper. It will also have every league season pass minus NFL 
mad.gif
... It just depends on what you like as far as entertainment. But there is a lot you can do.
Just got the Star Wars joint, brand new, got the RROD on a fat white XBOX and a fat XBOX Elite.  
30t6p3b.gif

PSN has access to Netflix, don't care too much about UFC.  Local teams are blacked out and the only league pass I care about is Sunday Ticket which I get via DirecTV.

I'm just trying to utilize both systems, and right now PS3 game selection is better than XBOX game selection, personally since that opinion may vary depending on the types of games you play.  Plus, console exclusives are dwindling.

Games I got on deck, that I need to play...

PS3: Uncharted 2/3, Batman Arkham City

XBOX: Gears of War 3

Don't know if I'll scoop Madden or NCAA Football yet, waiting on reviews.  Oh yeah, the PS3 having a built in blu-ray player is  a major plus IMO.

Originally Posted by ricky409

2139320_o.gif

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]wait....... what?! [/color]
eek.gif

It was a special in the marketplace, first time I thought how lucky I was, so then it ran out. I was really trying to play later that week and I left my 3 month card at a friend's house so I hopped on live and saw that they had the 2 months for $2 again, so that's what I'm using right now.

Apparently it's only valid if you don't have a gold membership, which explains how I got it (I wasn't on an active subscription when I bought it, always canceled auto-renewal and waited until it ran out). So I guess wait until yours runs out then check it out.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Yea, streaming HBO through it too is very much a win!![/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]like i said, it's not like i don't like PS... I do think they have a bit more selection when it comes to exclusive games. sure... but I'll take Gears, Halo, Fable (Fable 2) over any exclusive game on ps3. Although i do like and play Uncharted. And with another Tomb Raider coming out, it's looking good, we'll see how that goes. And as far as all my sports and FPS (BF3, Halo) pure 360 because of XBL.[/color]

Back
Top Bottom