*★*Official Chicago Bears 2009-2010 Thread(4-4)*★* week 10 @49ers

Originally Posted by JPZx

You shouldn't be.
roll.gif

Preseason opener

Bears look to find a rhythm against the Bills on Saturday

August 11, 2009, 2:42 PM

By: Jeff Dickerson

Chicago Bears offensive coordinator Ron Turner finally gets a chance to test out his new offensive toys Saturday night in Buffalo. Although the starters usually play sparingly in the preseason opener, the offensive coordinator has nonetheless set a list of goals for the first team to accomplish versus the Bills.
"Establish who we are, start to establish our identity," Turner said after Tuesday morning's light practice. "Keep it obviously very basic, and just go out and see how we execute. We've got a lot of new faces in the huddle starting with the quarterback, and we've got some new offensive linemen in there, at least two new starters. "We're just trying to get rhythm, get everyone in sync, get everyone on the same page. With our young receivers we want to give them a chance to compete and see who's going to go out and play fast and react." Two receivers in particular have garnered plenty of attention the last few days of camp: Brandon Rideau and Devin Aromashodu. Both are entering their third professional season, but neither has proven much in the NFL. Turner is quick to remind everybody to hold off on their evaluations until the Bears play a few games -- that being said, he's pleased with how Rideau and Aromashodu have seized the opportunity this summer. "Brandon has shown flashes in the past of doing some really good things," said Turner. "Through maturity, those flashes become routine, they become regular, they become consistent. We have not played a preseason game yet, but what he's done so far, he's done well. "He can play inside and outside, we can move him around a little bit, so he gives us some depth at really every position. In some of our personnel groups he's starting right now." "[Devin] has opened my eyes, Jay's [Cutler] eyes, he's done some good things," said the offensive coordinator. "He's very quietly gone about his business. He's got good size, good speed, good hands, and he's shown he can handle it mentally. When the starting quarterback comes to a coordinator and comments on somebody, that's a good sign for a receiver." And a good sign for the Bears, if either, or both individuals eventually pan out. Other news and notes from Tuesday afternoon: • Jamar Williams had his left shoulder still wrapped in ice. There is little question Williams wants to play this weekend, especially because the competition at strongside linebacker is so fierce. • Fontel Mines departed the dining hall on crutches, with his left leg in a brace. Mines was carted off the field Monday during practice. • Defensive end Joe Clermond wore a sling to lunch. • Temporary long snapper J.J. Milan was given number 70, the same as Clermond.
Cutler in sync with Olsen

Bears QB seeks out TE yet again

August 11, 2009, 10:35 PM

Practicing without pads for the first time in nine days, Jay Cutler and the Bears offense put on an aerial display that delighted the 9,100 fans in attendance. Cutler's main target was -- you guessed it -- tight end Greg Olsen, who made a circus one-handed grab in the back of the end zone during the 2-minute drill.

[+] Enlarge

AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh, File

Greg Olsen has become a safety blanket for Jay Cutler.
"As we continue to work, we keep putting in new things, just keep going over things and talking, getting on the same page as far as looks and reads," said Olsen. "It was a good play. Anytime you get a 2-minute situation, a lot of games come down to that. We work on it quite a bit as you can see, so to end the game with a touchdown was big."
Is the offense this good, or the secondary that bad? Olsen tends the think it's the former, downplaying the idea that his unit is ahead of schedule.

"I think we're further ahead than everybody else thought we were going to be," said Olsen. "I think we thought all along after we saw the team we put together during OTAs that we had a chance to be pretty good. It's getting to that point in camp where it's getting long, and everybody is anxious for this first preseason game to get here and get off the practice field and play a game."

Other news and notes:

Bears set their depth chart

Few surprises in store for fans.

August 11, 2009, 10:59 PM

We have a depth chart.

nfl_g_pisa_200.jpg

Kevin Terrell/Getty Images

The strong-side linebacker job won't just be handed to Pisa Tinoisamoa.
Lovie Smith sort of let the cat out the bag after practice, announcing that Josh Beekman will open up as the first team left guard.
Smith also listed Pisa Tinoisamoa, Nick Roach and Jamar Williams as competing for the starting job at strong-side linebacker.

Here are some of the other highlights:

[table][tr][td]Offense[/td] [/tr][tr][td]POS[/td] [td]First String[/td] [td]Second String[/td] [td]Third String[/td] [td]Fourth String[/td] [/tr][tr][td]WR[/td] [td]Earl Bennett[/td] [td]Brandon Rideau[/td] [td]Devin Aromashodu[/td] [td]Johnny Knox[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LT[/td] [td]Orlando Pace[/td] [td]Lance Louis[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]LG[/td] [td]Josh Beekman[/td] [td]Frank Omiyale[/td] [td]Johan Asiata[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]C[/td] [td]Olin Kreutz[/td] [td]Donovan Raiola[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]RG[/td] [td]Roberto Garza[/td] [td]Dan Buenning[/td] [td]Tyler Reed[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]RT[/td] [td]Chris Williams[/td] [td]Kevin Shaffer[/td] [td]Cody Balogh[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]TE[/td] [td]Greg Olsen[/td] [td]Desmond Clark[/td] [td]Kellen Davis[/td] [td]Michael Gaines[/td] [/tr][tr][td]WR[/td] [td]Devin Hester[/td] [td]Rashied Davis[/td] [td]Juaquin Iglesias[/td] [td]Eric Peterman[/td] [/tr][tr][td]QB[/td] [td]Jay Cutler[/td] [td]Caleb Hanie[/td] [td]Brett Basanez[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]RB[/td] [td]Matt Forte[/td] [td]Kevin Jones[/td] [td]Garrett Wolfe[/td] [td]Adrian Peterson[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FB[/td] [td]Jason McKie[/td] [td]Jason Davis[/td] [td]Will Ta'ufo'ou[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]Defense[/td] [/tr][tr][td]POS[/td] [td]First String[/td] [td]Second String[/td] [td]Third String[/td] [td]Fourth String[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LDE[/td] [td]Adewale Ogunleye / Mark Anderson[/td] [td]Joe Clermond[/td] [td]Henry Melton[/td] [/tr][tr][td]DT[/td] [td]Tommie Harris[/td] [td]Israel Idonije[/td] [td]Jarron Gilbert[/td] [td]Matt Toeaina[/td] [/tr][tr][td]NT[/td] [td]Anthony Adams / Dusty Dvoracek / Marcus Harrison[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]RDE[/td] [td]Alex Brown / Mark Anderson[/td] [td]Ervin Baldwin[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]SLB[/td] [td]Pisa Tinoisamoa / Nick Roach / Jamar Williams[/td] [td]Marcus Freeman[/td] [/tr][tr][td]MLB[/td] [td]Brian Urlacher[/td] [td]Hunter Hillenmeyer[/td] [td]Mike Rivera[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]WLB[/td] [td]Lance Briggs[/td] [td]Jamar Williams[/td] [td]Kevin Malast[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]LCB[/td] [td]Trumaine McBride / Corey Graham[/td] [td].J. Moore[/td] [td]Marcus Hamilton[/td] [/tr][tr][td]RCB[/td] [td]Nathan Vasher[/td] [td]Woodny Turenne[/td] [td]Rudy Burgess[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]SS[/td] [td]Kevin Payne[/td] [td]Al Afalava[/td] [td]Dahna Deleston[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]FS[/td] [td]Danieal Manning[/td] [td]Josh Bullocks[/td] [td]Craig Steltz[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]Special Teams[/td] [/tr][tr][td]POS[/td] [td]First String[/td] [td]Second String[/td] [td]Third String[/td] [td]Fourth String[/td] [/tr][tr][td]P[/td] [td]Brad Maynard[/td] [td]Richmond McGee[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]K[/td] [td]Robbie Gould[/td] [td]Richmond McGee[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]H[/td] [td]Brad Maynard[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]KO[/td] [td]Robbie Gould[/td] [td]Richmond McGee[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]KOR[/td] [td]Danieal Manning[/td] [td]Devin Hester[/td] [td]Garrett Wolfe[/td] [td]Johnny Knox[/td] [/tr][tr][td]PR[/td] [td]Devin Hester[/td] [td]Earl Bennett[/td] [td]Nathan Vasher[/td] [td]Johnny Knox[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LS[/td] [td]Patrick Mannelly[/td] [td]J. J. Milan[/td] [td]Desmond Clark[/td] [/tr][/table]

Thought I would toss up the whole thing.

I hope Orlando Pace is the OP of 2005. Actually I just want him to stay healthy all year.

Originally Posted by CasperJr

vick is in chicago!
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
on phone hope to have updates when i get bac
you cant really think the bears would sign his sorry @#%. he came to chicago to speak against dog fighting

Originally Posted by jcuk3tm0

Originally Posted by CasperJr

vick is in chicago!
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
on phone hope to have updates when i get bac
you cant really think the bears would sign his sorry @#%. he came to chicago to speak against dog fighting
Better backup QB than Caleb Hanie, since no team is man enough to offer him a starting job... I would 100% trust him if Jay went down cause Vickis my man. And wed do some CRAZY %%*% in the Wildcat
pimp.gif

realtalk, he aint comin to the Chi though
laugh.gif

http://espn.go.com/chicago/columns/blog?post=4395318&name=dickerson_chicago
Preseason Spice

First team to get extended playing time

August 12, 2009, 6:53 PM

Lovie Smith conducted his final fully padded practice before the team departs this weekend for Buffalo -- Thursday's workout is scheduled to be in shells.

Preseason games tend to be mundane, but Smith spiced it up a little by forecasting extended playing time for the first team Saturday night.

"We're anxious to play a good team," said Smith. "They have a lot of talent on the Buffalo team, and it'll be a big test for us. They'll [the Bears' starters] play into the second quarter, and we'll just see how it goes. We have a certain amount of play we'd like for them to get. We use that to tell us a lot. They'll probably play a little bit more than you probably think they will."

A big question heading into the game: Will the Bears' defense face Bills receiver Terrell Owens?

Buffalo head coach %*+* Jauron called Owens day-to-day with a sprained toe.

"It'll be a great test if he's in there," said Smith. "But they have a pretty solid receiving corps even if T.O. can't go. I don't know if he'll be able to go or not, but he looked pretty good the couple plays he got the other day [versus Tennessee]. With [Lee] Evans and [Roscoe] Parrish, they have a lot of weapons that will give us trouble."

The Bears will officially unveil their biggest weapon, starting quarterback Jay Cutler, who took the standard subdued approach when previewing preseason football.

"I think the guys are getting tired of going against themselves, so it'll be a good change of pace to go against a different defense, a different offense and see what we got going on out there," said Cutler. "Preseason is preseason, you kind of want to get in there, get your work done and get out as fast as possible without getting anybody hurt. We're going to get some quality work in, but we don't want to overdo it."

Other news and notes:

• Both Smith and Cutler were asked about Michael Vick, who was in Chicago for a non-football related function.
    "It's just a tough situation," said Cutler. "He served his time, and he's just trying to find a spot and get back in the league, and try to become the player he was two or three years ago. Anybody that takes him, it's going to be a circus show there for a week or two with the Michael Vick watch. You're going to have to go through all the animal rights and stuff. It's just hard, I wish him the best of luck."

Would Cutler be opposed to Vick serving as his backup?

"I wouldn't mind it. I'm not against it," added Cutler.

But not lobbying for it. Neither are the Bears, who continue to deny having any interest in Vick.
  • Danieal Manning was sidelined again by a sore hamstring. Manning's absence allowed more first-team work for rookie Al Afalava.
  • Fellow safety Kevin Payne briefly left the field on a cart, but quickly returned, and resumed practicing.
  • Tommie Harris did some individual defensive line drills, but was a spectator during team drills.
  • Jamar Williams missed practice again with a shoulder injury.
  • Desmond Clark was given a veteran's day off, allowing Kellen Davis to get some work with the first team.
  • Defensive end Ervin Baldwin returned to action. Baldwin had been bothered by a sore elbow.
  • The Bears practiced their variation of the Wildcat formation with both Matt Forte and Devin Hester taking direct snaps.
  • Zack Bowman and Pat Mannelly remained out.

come on front offices get it together if you gonin to run the wild cat wouldnt you like a QB that can maybe take it to anotherlevel

vick has been in jail for 2 years but him thowing the ball if be better then forte or hester throwing it
laugh.gif
sick.gif

Laurence Holmes of 670 The Score interviewing Brian Urlacher:

Catching up with Brian Urlacher on the football field is pretty hard, but getting him to stop to be interviewed isn't any easier. After lunch, I got the chance to walk with #54 for 5 minutes and pick his brain about a few issues.

I actually approached Brian initially to talk to him about the Madden Ratings (for a later blog) and how Lance Briggs is rated higher than him. He laughed at me.

"C'mon Laurence, I don't play that stuff…good for Lance." Urlacher said.

Then after he finished his ice cream cone we got into some football issues. He looks healthier and bigger after back issues and a neck problem.

"I'm gonna play around 257-258 (pounds) this year." Urlacher told me. "This is the healthiest I've been in 2 seasons."

Over the off-season, #54 was able to train. That's what he told me last week, but I was looking for specifics on what he did to get back healthy.

"Just train for football." Urlacher told me. "Lifting weights, running, power cleans, squats, shrugs. Not doing rehab for a change. "The last couple of years I've been rehabbing my neck, rehabbing my back and the focus on that hasn't let me train for football."

The numbers show a decline in play. In 2007, Urlacher had a great year statistically. He hit the benchmarks that Lovie Smith sets for him each season: 5 interceptions, 5 sacks. But in 2008, Urlacher didn't get a sack all year and only picked off 2 passes. Something that he attributes to the injuries slowing him down.

"I guess everyone goes through those years…" Urlacher explained to me. "It just happened to be my turn I guess. It's nice to be back to normal again. Go full speed and not have to worry about the other stuff."

But it's not just him who has to have a bounce back year. It's the entire defense that has to get better.

"We know we're going to score points, that's for sure with our offense and our Quarterback situation." Urlacher grinned while telling me. "We've got to be consistent. The last 2 years we've been up and down a lot and if we can play with some consistency and keep guys healthy…we should be good on defense again."

Urlacher and Briggs are paid to make plays, but that job is made easier if the Bears can get pressure with a 4 man rush. I asked Brian about what it does for the Linebackers if the front-4 gets pressure without having to blitz.

"It's huge, ya know." Urlacher told me. "It helps our corners out more than it does us (Linebackers), but we can drop, read the quarterback and go to the football. Then everyone is playing fast."

Which means more big plays. More game-changers. After thinking about it for a minute, Urlahcer added that a consistent pass rush helps in another way too.

"The running game is where they're (D-Line) going to help us." He told me. "They get up the field, they're causing havoc in the backfield and it makes the running back make a decision really fast."

We talked more about the depth and competition at Linebacker this year, but in the middle of that conversation I asked him about goals. The goals he had set for this year.

#54: " Superbowl!"

Laurence: "What about individual goals?"

#54: "Superbowl! Laurence I don't care about the individual stuff…"

With that, we both laughed, shook hands and he walked on to get ready for practice. It's good to see Brian smiling. It's better to see him healthy and focused. The Bears are expecting a big year from him. He knows it. He wants that too, but more than anything, he's craving another chance at a Superbowl. Brian's no dummy, after 10 years in this league he knows how hard it is to climb back up the mountain. He doesn't want to miss another opportunity.

I hope he really is as healthy as he says.

Pretty quiet on the Iglesias front. I havent really heard his name bandied about much. So much of the hype is on Cutler I think people are just letting thereceivers sit in the background. Personally, I am excited to see if Earl Bennett can make some plays.

It's just one game so I'm not going to say that the Cutler we're going to see from here on out is the one we saw .vs. the Bills but that wasn'tthe ideal debut for himself and the fans I'd say...

I hated this morning and all the bum %#$ callers when I was listening to sportstalk radio. ITS PRESEASON PEOPLE!!!!! LIONS WERE 4-0 last year in the preseason!

I hate ESPN. I'm watching Around the Horn and they're talking about how Cutler was saying Hester wasn't a go up and get it receiver. Everyone'strashing him for no @#$%&%@ reason. This isn't even an issue. He was just telling the truth. Hester isn't a physical specimen in the least. Hesteris a guy who can get YAC. He's no Larry Fitzgerald. Cutler is getting a bad rep for no damn reason. What has he done to deserve this?

And everyone needs to calm down. This is preseason. I wish we would have done better, but hey, it's the first preseason game. People forget Cutler is witha new team in a new system. We have the rest of the month and more to improve. Besides, we were missing Forte, Olsen, and Pace; those are some pretty bigholes. I'll be more concerned if we play like this toward the end of preseason, but I'll reserve my judgement. Preseason is nothing more than aglorified practice.

I just love it when people freak out or get super excited about the preseason. I would have the same reaction if Jay threw 3 picks or 3 TD's. Who cares?

Forte or Olsen didn't play so obviously Cutler didn't have much to work with. Plus what's the point in showing everything during preseason? Notworried at all.

Back
Top Bottom