‘Nina’ Film Poster Released, Twitter Not Feeling Zoe Saldana as the High Priestess of Soul

[h1]‘Nina’ Film Poster Released, Twitter Not Feeling Zoe Saldana as the High Priestess of Soul[/h1]
[h1]  [/h1]
nina-202x300.jpg

After two long years of developmental woes, the high priestess of soul, Nina Simone, will have her life and career documented in the upcoming film Nina, directed by Cynthia Mort.

According to the official synopsis, “Simone pays the price for her fame and fortune with depression, alcohol abuse and isolation. Rediscovering the meaning of her life and work took courage, strength and one true friend: Clifton Henderson (David Oyelowo). The man started out as her assistant and eventually became her loyal manager. With Clifton’s encouragement, the ‘high priestess of soul’ began a courageous journey back to her music … and, eventually, herself.”

The film will focus on the 15-time Grammy nominee and Grammy Hall of Fame Recipient and her culturally impactful songs and passionate politics. Simone will be portrayed by actress Zoe Saldana to the displeasure of many fans. There was fan outrage when The Guardians of the Galaxy  actress was cast nearly two years ago. Saldana has been under extreme scrutiny because skin-tone politics came into play. Simone has a richer complexion and profound Black features that Saldana lacks. The actress had to be “darkened” to appear more like Simone.

Twitter users did not forget this controversy.

Many of the users are appalled that the filmmakers did not hire a dark-skinned woman to portray Simone. Viola Davis, Danai Gurira and other women could have been much better casting decisions, but Hollywood has a colorism problem when dealing with Blackness.

Nina  will be released in theaters, VOD and Digital HD on April 22, 2016.
http://atlantablackstar.com/2016/03...ng-zoe-saldana-as-the-high-priestess-of-soul/

thoughts? 
nerd.gif

Last edited:
A goddamned mess. You have Saldana, who has said she isn't Black playing a Black icon who was unapologetically Black and faced colorism along with racism. Simone is literally the opposite of everything Saldana when it comes to acknowledging their Blackness. The blackface and prosthetic nose took the cake.

Last edited:
roll.gif
 @ Calling her Zoey Salamander

But this is some funny complaining. I think part of the issue is she looks good. Easy to hate that. Since I only see women Tweeting on it

:rofl:  @ Calling her Zoey Salamander

But this is some funny complaining. I think part of the issue is she looks good. Easy to hate that. Since I only see women Tweeting on it

There have been plenty of men tweeting about it as well. Has nothing to do with her being pretty. It was a poor casting choice plain and simple.

I hate that my boy David Oyelowo took that part. Dude has been my favorite since i saw Nightingale. Hopefully he shines still through all the BS.

Women always take any opportunity to hate on another woman. I don't plan on watching this movie so it's all good to me.

I like Zoe a lot, but goddamn what a terrible casting choice :lol:

I remember reading like a year ago about how the family weren't happy at her being casted as well

Could have gotten someone with actual music talent and someone who resembles Simone slightly more than Saldana does; someone when doesn't need a wig, nose and blackface to portray the role.
Oh ok, where did you see the early screening?

A goddamned mess. You have Saldana, who has said she isn't Black playing a Black icon who was unapologetically Black and faced colorism along with racism. Simone is literally the opposite of everything Saldana when it comes to acknowledging their Blackness. The blackface and prosthetic nose took the cake.

http://urbanbushbabes.com/zoe-saldana-i-am-a-black-woman/

“When I go to the D.R., the press in Santo Domingo always asks, “¿Qué te consideras, dominicana o americana?” (What do you consider yourself, Dominican or American?) I don’t understand it, and it’s the same people asking the same question. So I say, time and time again, “Yo soy una mujer negra.” (“I am a black woman.”) [They go,] “Oh, no, tú eres trigueñita.” (“Oh no, you are ‘dark skinned’”) I’m like, “No! Let’s get it straight, yo soy una mujer negra.” (“I am a black woman).”

[h1]Girl, Bye: Zoe Saldana Claims “People of Color” Don’t Exist[/h1]
by Evette Dionne

Actress Zoe Saldana has been inserting the proverbial foot in her mouth in recent weeks. The “Colombiana” starlet has been media blitzing for the upcoming “Star Trek Into Darkness” film and leaving a trail of disrespect in her wake. A fellow Clutch  editor, Yesha Callahan, thinks Saldana needs a dictionary and a clue. I concur and also think she needs to enroll in an Introduction to Critical Race Theory course ASAP.

During an interview with BET, Saldana candidly discussed how she views race, alleging “there’s no such as people of color.”

When asked how she racially-identifies, Saldana responded:

I find it uncomfortable to have to speak about my identity all of the time, when in reality it’s not something that drives me or wakes me up out of bed everyday. I didn’t grow up in a household where I was categorized by my mother. I was just Zoe and I could have and be anything that I ever wanted to do…and every human being is the same as you. So to all of a sudden leave your household and have people always ask you, “What are you, what are you” is the most uncomfortable question and it’s literally the most repetitive question. I can’t wait to be in a world where people are sized by their soul and how much they can contribute as individuals and not what they look like.

She wasn’t done retorting.

I literally run away from people that use words like ethnic. It’s preposterous! To me there is no such thing as people of color cause in reality people aren’t white. Paper is white. People are pink, it’s a bit ridiculous when I have to explain to a human being, that is an adult like I am, that looks intelligent but for some reason I have to question his intelligence and explain to him as if he was a two year old, my composition in order for him to say, “Oh I guess I can chill with you, I can work with you.” I will not underestimate a human being and I will not allow another human being to underestimate me. I feel like as a race, that’s a minute problem against the problems we face just as women versus men, in a world that’s more geared and designed to cater towards the male species.

That is a situation that, I spend time thinking about, and working towards ending that, I guess we could talk about that.

Saldana’s decision to accept the role of Nina Simone as a labor of “love” makes her view of race and racism all the more puzzling. It appears as if donning Blackface and depicting Simone has done little to connect the actress with the crooner’s spirit. You can’t portray Nina Simone without realizing how intricately race was intertwined with her life and career.

In fact, communities of color must contend with race and racism daily, from the school-to-prison pipeline to the slow siphoning of resources from our schools. But I guess for women like Saldana, we’re post-racial, Simone’s legacy be-damned.

Maybe the ultimate fixer, Olivia Pope  Kerry Washington, can hip her fellow thespian to the truth about post-racial fantasies.

KW.gif

KW1.gif
http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2013/05/girl-bye-zoe-saldana-claims-people-of-color-dont-exist/

Last edited:
They need white people to watch this to make a profit...

a lighter skinned lead = more relatable character....

*kanye shrug*

we all know the deal..

You are out of your mind, Saldana is on record identifying as a black woman :x

Ya just making **** up now.

This is wild, Latinos are snubbed for supposedly rejecting their black roots, then Latinos are snubbed for embracing them and wanting to represent a black icon....what's it gonna be man? :smh:

Back
Top Bottom