‘Nina’ Film Poster Released, Twitter Not Feeling Zoe Saldana as the High Priestess of Soul

They know what they're doing when they make these castings. They cast who they think is going to bring in the money. These people don't give a damn about accuracy lol (God's of Egypt movie)

This could actually be a good movie who knows. Not really interested in watching tbh. But the last person I think of when you say "Nina Simone" is Zoe Saldana. This casting is WAY off.

This casting just hightlights how Hollywood thinks black women of darker completions aren't sexy, aren't beautiful.

Viola Davis would have been perfect for the role, yes for the look, but more important for the sheer talent. Zoe is a pretty face and lets be real about it, shes a decent actress. Hollywood wanted the pretty girl to front the movie :smh:

Damn where the Zoe hate Come from all of a sudden
Zoe has always claimed her blackness as a Dominican
Viola Davis woulda been cool look wise but damn give Zoe a chance
People complain just to ****** complain sometimes
Larenz Tate didn't look like franky limon(sp?) in why do fools fall in love
Angela Bassett and Laurence fishburne don't look like Ike and tina
So why complain
Let's see what she does with the role first
And half these folks complaining ain't even gonna see the damn movie

Larenz Tate didn't look like franky limon(sp?) lymon in why do fools fall in love
So why complain

They did not have to alter their appearance to portray a believable role

Until it comes on HBO or netflix I probably wont but that still dont discredit the argument

Last edited:
Man....

This is just more bull **** for people to ***** and moan about.

Ya'll can have it. IDGAF

Who's gonna play her white love interest in this movie? :nerd:

Exactly. We had a thread before where it was noted that Zoe mainly does movies opposite white men.

You guys are saying a no name darker skin woman couldn't have been found for the role? Isn't it similar to flex Washington having to wear white makeup to portray Michael Jackson.

......I mean, I don't like to rush to judgement before I see the movie. Zoe is gonna have to damn near have an out of body experience to capture the raw essence of Nina Simone in order for people to overlook the wig and skin darkening.

Wasn't some of y'all dudes complaining that Nick Cannon wasn't "hard" enough to play a lead role in Chiraq?. :rofl:

Cant ever win on the internet.

Zoe is black too, show support

Last edited:
if any of you knew anything about nina and her story, you'd know her "looks" played a very important part in her life and who she was and what she became. this casting ignores a big part of nina's personal struggle

Last edited:
Meh. Fake outrage. Takes away from the actual movie.

Cant just be casting folk JUST because they look like someone.

Viola Davis was literally the perfect person for this role man. :lol: I wonder how they ended up at this decision

Im low key tired of Viola Davis. Shes becoming Hollywood's house "strong black woman".

I aware of who Nina Simone is and the story.

The director is suing the studio to court over this.

If I didnt know any better, I would think someone went out of their way to piss people off.

Im not getting mad over this. I get it, but Im not studdin it.

This is the least of injustices we're facing right now.

Damn where the Zoe hate Come from all of a sudden
Zoe has always claimed her blackness as a Dominican
Viola Davis woulda been cool look wise but damn give Zoe a chance
People complain just to ****** complain sometimes
Larenz Tate didn't look like franky limon(sp?) in why do fools fall in love
So why complain
Let's see what she does with the role first
Folks just want to cry about stuff like you said man. I don't get it, AT ALL.

Let the movie play out first because we talk about how it was a piss poor casting.

As a blind consumer, she's easy on the eyes, which will be one less obstacle for my simple, shallow mind has to jump over to watch whatever this movie is about.

viola does have other stuff on her plate. How about Jennifer Hudson then?

Why not just cast an unknown filled with talent?

This is the opportunity to find a young black talented actress and put her on the map.

Why not just cast an unknown filled with talent?

This is the opportunity to find a young black talented actress and put her on the map.
Right but more people would go see it if they know Zoey is in it vs. No named actor.

You knew the answer to that question

I get why people are upset and understand.

It's a bit similiar to when they did the story of 21 with Kevin Spacey. It was an insult to the actual DUDES that the movie is about because they were ASIAN but they casted a majority white cast and made the main dude a white guy. The part I don't get and will never understand is, their reasoning, or from what i hear, was because a white cast would bring in more audience and blah blah. However, this ain't like they casting that clown Channing tatum or nothing. Dudes were going to see this movie BASED on the STORY and not who was IN the movie.

Anyway, i agree they probably could've found someone closer in resemblence or an actual black actress to play her.

Back
Top Bottom