∞HBO: "True Detective: Night Country" (Late 2023)...Season 4 Set in Alaska…Starring Jodie Foster…Barry Jenkins Producing∞

How would you grade Season II of "True Detective" ?

• A

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • B

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • C

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • D

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • F

Votes: 8 16.0%

• Total voters
Did hays die at the end? He walks out with his wife after they reconcile their relationship in the bar. And he also walks into the jungle hidden from frame at the last scene? Or am I tripping?

I could see that. Finally locating julie and seeing she’s living a normal life with a kid brought closure to him and he “forgot” so to not disturb/stress/upend that life julie has finally found.

He then died on the porch, had the whole fam there lined up with him even his supposed estranged daughter and then even roland comes through completing the circle of the most important people closest to him while watching his two grandkids biking towards the sun instead of darkness which the purcell kids headed towards.

Then cue the creepy background music, him and wifey hashing things out and walking into the white light. Enter the vietnam scene showing that he will forever be stuck in some kind of purgatory alone, haunted by his desire to always seek out volatility? Unstableness? He’s stuck in a circle of his own demise.

I don't know if that makes any sense :lol: i might be reading too much into it.

Last edited:
Is it confirmed that, that was Julie Purcell at the end or just a theory to finally give him some type of closure?

Overall I’m satisfied with the season and how straightforward the case turned out to be. Gotta remember that the show is truly about the detectives and not the case. The case is like of 3rd importance

I’m just laughing at how all the tinfoil cult theories got disproved again as they have the last two seasons and all you dudes are tight again. Cats were really like “I think Amelia was just a double agent planted in Hays’s life by Hoyt to figure out what the investigation knows!” :lol:

I think the daughter was sort of self explained in the beginning of this episode. Hayes became head of security at the university while Amelia taught there. Hayes’ daughter went to school at the same university later and Amelia must have died at the university so it brought her trauma to have to move back in when we had the 4th timeline flashback.

I think the daughter was sort of self explained in the beginning of this episode. Hayes became head of security at the university while Amelia taught there. Hayes’ daughter went to school at the same university later and Amelia must have died at the university so it brought her trauma to have to move back in when we had the 4th timeline flashback.

Exactly...

I’m just laughing at how all the tinfoil cult theories got disproved again as they have the last two seasons and all you dudes are tight again. Cats were really like “I think Amelia was just a double agent planted in Hays’s life by Hoyt to figure out what the investigation knows!” :lol:

This blows my mind. Instead of taking what was given to you and seeing the art in it, dudes really want the show to fit THEIR narrative.

The case was solved last week and the details were pretty much laid out right before our eyes, but dudes didn’t want to believe that it could be so simple. Junius basically confirmed what we already knew and cats are mad that the answers were so mundane? Just seems weird to me.

And I gotta say, Nic throwing in Eliza was a complete troll job to all the conspiracy theorist dudes. She was essentially a stand-in for the wild conspiracy folks. But in the end, her tireless efforts led to absolutely nothing and literally did nothing to help solve the case. Much like all the theories. :lol:

I mean, obvs Amelia knew about it all along and also helped Julie escape... and then tried to work with the Sisters to help Julie start a new life. She then wrote that book to create a different narrative so that no one will discover Julie's true whereabouts. Obviously. :lol::tongue:

Fairly disappointed tbh :frown: granted I am happy loose ends were closed up, however, it felt a bit jam-packed & some were still left unattended to. Like, it's almost as if we got 7 stellar episodes and the one lackluster to finish. This does not take away from the tremendous acting from both Ali & Dorff. They put on clinics.

I can understand why Hays didn't bother continuing convo with Julie when he found her, but don't you think we should see him tell Roland that he found her and that she's alright? Or would he not even believe him?

Fairly disappointed tbh :frown: granted I am happy loose ends were closed up, however, it felt a bit jam-packed & some were still left unattended to. Like, it's almost as if we got 7 stellar episodes and the one lackluster to finish. This does not take away from the tremendous acting from both Ali & Dorff. They put on clinics.

I can understand why Hays didn't bother continuing convo with Julie when he found her, but don't you think we should see him tell Roland that he found her and that she's alright? Or would he not even believe him?

macbk macbk ... he had an Alzheimer’s/memory loss episode. He didn’t even know that was Julie. He didn’t remember why he’d driven to that address cuz he (conveniently) didn’t write “Julie” on the piece of paper. Hendidnt tell Roland because he didn’t remember that’s what he’d done.

good season
the finale was just anti-climatic

szn 1 >
it's not even close cause of the finale but i felt aside from MM and woody the overall acting was better

macbk macbk ... he had an Alzheimer’s/memory loss episode. He didn’t even know that was Julie. He didn’t remember why he’d driven to that address cuz he (conveniently) didn’t write “Julie” on the piece of paper. Hendidnt tell Roland because he didn’t remember that’s what he’d done.

Hmm good call on the paper part. Wouldn't surprise me but I guess we're led to believe it was either an Alz' reaction, or my take where he didn't want to bother her.

I think he remembered/figured out who she was during their interaction, but decided to not open any healed wounds by bringing it up with her.

Overall i thought the final was great and very satisfying, sometimes i think its better to let the viewer use their imagination a little bit and not put a bow on every little thing.

And I gotta say, Nic throwing in Eliza was a complete troll job to all the conspiracy theorist dudes. She was essentially a stand-in for the wild conspiracy folks. But in the end, her tireless efforts led to absolutely nothing and literally did nothing to help solve the case. Much like all the theories. :lol:
lol. I was just about to post that too.

Did anyone notice that Wayne's son, has police spotlights on his car when he picks him up?

What are you alluding to? Wasn't it clear from very early on that his son was a cop? Hays visited him at his precinct on more than one occasion and they referenced him being a cop several times.

True Detective hasn't had sinister **** since season 1.

Yeah I almost got more of a Sharp Objects vibe in this season.

Good season, like others said, a bit anti-climatic and turned into Gone Baby Gone almost. Something told me that Hays should've wrote Mike Ardoin down or call Roland. I get the memory loss, but I also felt that when he showed up and everything looked peaceful, that he should just let them be.

Any news on Season 4? I didn't see any renewed notices yet.

Late, but only just realized this...
46485220374_7576cc48fc_o.jpg

Was wondering how Amelia died, was hoping to see a scene.

I am also curious to see why little Lucy did not remember Hays in the last scene, but I do understand she is a little girl...

I think he remembered/figured out who she was during their interaction, but decided to not open any healed wounds by bringing it up with her.

Yeah I think he ultimately remembered who she was and why he was there, but like you said, decided to let it be.

A theme this season has been telling the truth for your own sake in spite of it hurting the other person. Hays mentioned it to his son when he admitted he had a thing with Eliza, and in the finale Hays also alluded to it when Amelia wanted to know what happened the night she saw him burning his clothes.

Could Hays have solved the case and let the world know? Sure. But that would be for his own benefit. Julie was perfectly happy in life and all outing her would’ve done is upend her “normal” life. Hell, even acknowledging who she really was to her face could’ve sent her into a tailspin of fear and paranoia. I think he did the right thing.

Yeah I think he ultimately remembered who she was and why he was there, but like you said, decided to let it be.

A theme this season has been telling the truth for your own sake in spite of it hurting the other person. Hays mentioned it to his son when he admitted he had a thing with Eliza, and in the finale Hays also alluded to it when Amelia wanted to know what happened the night she saw him burning his clothes.

Could Hays have solved the case and let the world know? Sure. But that would be for his own benefit. Julie was perfectly happy in life and all outing her would’ve done is upend her “normal” life. Hell, even acknowledging who she really was to her face could’ve sent her into a tailspin of fear and paranoia. I think he did the right thing.

This is the way I see it. Through all the chaos she went through she lived a relatively perfect American life with a child, a home, and a husband after all she’s been through. When Hayes saw that he didn’t want to open up the can of worms. He got his satisfaction and closure by seeing that it was her. Making it known to the public that she was alive would be selfish and might even bring more harm to her.

It tied it with the last scene when Amelia and him decided to stay together. The case kept them bonded but it was just for each other’s selfish reasons. Hayes no longer wanted to be selfish beyond his own personal acknowledgement. The world didn’t need to know.

So you mean to tell me, Julie wasn't the reporter interviewing Hays all season and simultaneously doing an investigation into her own abduction? :emoji_confused:

I haz disappoint. :emoji_angry:

Roland asking "What about me :frown:?" after Hays quit in '90 and Purple saying "We'll grab a beer or catch a game." hit me in the feels since we know they didn't speak for damn near 30 years after.

When that little girl ran into Hays and Roland I figured it wasn't a coincidence.

Glad Julie got to experience some semblance of a normal life.

Roland got them hands. :lol::pimp:

Pour some out for Tom. |l

I understand the reviews about the season starting off strong and tapering off at the end. The finale felt disjointed at times, but the acting performances by Ali and Dorf were exceptional.

I need Hays' daughter in my life

Becca a nubian queen.
mjgrin.png

see I perfectly agree with the point being made for hays realizing all the hurt that has come from the case and seeing Julie happy and finally realizing that's it's time to move on and let her be at peace because the only person who really needed her, her father, was killed

However, thought it was a cheap time to use his Alzheimer's or whatever he had

Also elisa clearly had more info.. they could have clearly wrapped up that angle with him just repeating the story his was told about her death.. but with the son now having the address he's going go looking for why it's significant and he's sleeping with elisa

Back
Top Bottom