∞HBO: "True Detective: Night Country" (Late 2023)...Season 4 Set in Alaska…Starring Jodie Foster…Barry Jenkins Producing∞

How would you grade Season II of "True Detective" ?

• A

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • B

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • C

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • D

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • F

Votes: 8 16.0%

• Total voters
Wow so this wasn't anything sinister AT ALL.

Just a yes-man negro, a crazy lady who lost her daughter that drugged the girl.

Killed dude for no reason even though he should've spoke up.

Her mom was ****ed up for accepting that payment. Dad found out the truth and just offed himself.

30 min left and I'm wondering if there's something more dark to the story.

Huh...? My understanding was that Harris did kill Lucy and Tom Purcell and the cousin Daniel. He was their fixer. And Hoyt’s threat about Julie was pretty clear.

They kept her locked in a basement for 7-8 years and fed her drugs and broke her mind. **** was pretty sinister :lol:

Underwhelming and as expected, there was no way they could answer all the questions raised. As I’m watching, in like Purp hasn’t had an episode, all episode. Then mofo forgets outside the house...I’m like F this.

Kinda wish I knew where the daughter had been and how the wife died. This season was more about family and relationships. Nice tie in to why Roland likes stray dogs, but why did he never have a family?

I’ve always said season 1 is the goat of this trilogy and hopefully this finale has shown why.

Case was pretty much solved and pieced together so there was not too much of a surprise. Waited til the very end to let the viewers see how it unfolded when they got older

A lot of questions still left unanswered regading hays and west personal lives/family

Solid season and great acting

Roland fighting the who bar :lol:. It is not mccaughnehey shootout in the projects but it was still entertaining
Most action this series.

Nobody gonna mention how Amelia talked to the chick at the girls home or whatever and she says Julie went by the diff names and always talked about a pink room. Like the one her pops found before dying.

ezgif-1-833de91aea4f.gif

I liked the connection of the landscaper being the young waving boy but rather than a dark premise, it turned out to be a happy ending in their story.

This **** always turns out more straight forward than ppl suggest
dead.png

So this was basically Gone Baby Gone with rednecks and a mentally ill woman?

When Roland hugged Hays I thought we were heading towards Momento terriority

Hays' daughter..my lord
wow.png

Dorff and Ali kilt every scene. Their friendship was
mjcry1.png
Roland even felt some type of way when Hays quit the first time
tocry.png

Wonder if the son passed that address to his side thot for her show

I can see where the early complaints came from with the show. Cast carried the story, pacing felt off at times but at least I never felt completely lost like S2 would do to us. Enjoyed it overall
manny.png

Did hays die at the end? He walks out with his wife after they reconcile their relationship in the bar. And he also walks into the jungle hidden from frame at the last scene? Or am I tripping?

Haha damn bro, u watch the season at all? Obviously him and his wife walking out at the bar is them back in 80 before they were even married. Him in the jungle is just a reflective of when he was fighting back at war before his detective work/career.

Obviously he is still alive base from the current 2015 scene on the porch with the family.

Haha He was on the porch and looked like he took his last breath then and they zoomed in on his eye to show is final memory. Lol but it sounds like I’m tripping. I guess what I meant to say was did he die on the porch with his family. But nvm :rofl:

so what exactly did Roland want hays to apologize for?

I mean so much so that the son is aware of it

Killing dude? Quitting?

Most underwhelming finale ever. Completely take back what I said about season 3 > season 1.

Season 1 >>>>> season 3 > season 2.

Did hays die at the end? He walks out with his wife after they reconcile their relationship in the bar. And he also walks into the jungle hidden from frame at the last scene? Or am I tripping?
That last scene was a flashback to Vietnam soldier Hays.

They literally finished the finale the first 20 mins and they dragged that **** out an hour and a half. After they left the house, I paused my DVR to see how much time was left and it was a little over an hour. I'm like cool, maybe there's a twist or something coming. NOPE. The last hour was spent with Wayne trying to remember what he had for breakfast. :stoneface: I don't care how much that "cheapens" the episode. I was waiting for some kind of "oh ****" moment that made me feel like I waited 8 weeks for it to come down to this, but I never got it. They literally solved the mystery by sitting down for story time with a dude one with 1 eye. I'm lowkey mad I waited 8 weeks for this. :smh:

Last edited:
They literally finished the finale the first 20 mins and they dragged that **** out an hour and a half. After they left the house, I paused my DVR to see how much time was left and it was a little over an hour. I'm like cool, maybe there's a twist or something coming. NOPE. The last hour was spent with Wayne trying to remember what he had for breakfast. :stoneface: I don't care how much that "cheapens" the episode. I was waiting for some kind of "oh ****" moment that made me feel like I waited 8 weeks for it to come down to this, but I never got it. They literally solved the mystery by sitting down for story time with a dude one 1 eye. I'm lowkey mad I waited 8 weeks for this. :smh:
Same thing I felt when they got all the answers, he pieced together stuff about the boy and maybe Julie isnt dead and theres like 30 min left.

Ali must've been smoking that good when he said this wws the best script he's ever read.

Huh...? My understanding was that Harris did kill Lucy and Tom Purcell and the cousin Daniel. He was their fixer. And Hoyt’s threat about Julie was pretty clear.
They kept her locked in a basement for 7-8 years and fed her drugs and broke her mind. **** was pretty sinister
mail
I'm talking about the children.

Don't give a **** about the parents and cousin :lol:

A crazy broken lady fed her drugs for years not cuz she was sinister but cuz she was broken, had some psychotic break and was trying to replace her dead daughter.

The husband paid to keep it quiet. Fixer dude did that.

The black guy with the dead eye was there step and fetch negro.

That's not really sinister. Just a ****ed up story about enablers.

When I think of True Detective and I think sinister motivesI'm thinking:

mail

True Detective hasn't had sinister **** since season 1.

Last edited:
While slightly underwhelmed like a few in here, I was satisfied with the ending for the most part. Though I did find Mr. X telling the truth/story all in one go after all these years and Amelia's book landing on Mike's part of the story all a bit too convenient. I was expecting something more sinister, but at the end of the day, like you guys said, it was about two cops, their friendship and finding closure.

Some parts, though, did left unanswered. Like the son... he obvs knew what the address was... or knew that it was something important. What will he do with it? Check it out some more? Give it to Elisa? And also, Hays' daughter. I was left with the impression that there was more to their backstory and relationship, but we were ultimately left with nothing. I also liked how they handled Mr. June wanting 'punishment', cuz by doing nothing, he got exactly the punishment he deserved. Also, was there anything to that photo with the two ghosts???

Enjoyed this season throughout.
Way better than season 2.
Season 1 had a great start but I always felt more underwhelmed with how that turned out.

Back
Top Bottom