∞HBO: "True Detective: Night Country" (Late 2023)...Season 4 Set in Alaska…Starring Jodie Foster…Barry Jenkins Producing∞

How would you grade Season II of "True Detective" ?

• A

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • B

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • C

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • D

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • F

Votes: 8 16.0%

• Total voters
How should it have ended? With 80+ year olds having a shootout in a house filled with kids who’d been abducted by the same pedo ring from season 1?

Maybe actually deal with the thing that triggered everything in the 1st place, elisa

Also, as was mentioned here, hays could have seen Julie happy and realized what her life would become with that info coming to light.. instead of using his affliction as a convenient way out and then having the son still having the possibility of upsetting that

You guys have to look at the season as a whole...Your watching it as if the case was the focus...Case was secondary...The focus of the season is how messed up people make others in their lives messed up, and ultimately overcome that mess to live better lives...

How should it have ended? With 80+ year olds having a shootout in a house filled with kids who’d been abducted by the same pedo ring from season 1?

The problem with True Detective is that people dream up these crazy theories and feel let down when they don’t happen...
They definitely could have done it without using three characters to neatly tie up and explain the story, complete with flashback shots in case you weren't keeping up. It came off cheap to tie it up the way they did. I've never been a fan of that kind of storytelling.

I think the problem is that the audience does speculate and dream up elaborate stories, but Nic makes it clear that he doesn't rock with that group and that way of watching, so he almost goes so hard in the other direction (making the actual story pretty simple) that it feels almost boring. The audience doesn't dream up these ideas on their own, Nic walks the audience down that road every season and then says 'ha, gotcha...it's not what I've been tossing out red herrings about.'

It's like he wants to benefit from the conversation, but doesn't want TD to be one of those shows. He's thrown things out there and given no explanation other than a coincidence so many times. This season felt like more of that. Bringing in season 1. The mystery around Hays losing his daughter. How'd Amelia die? What's Hoyt going to do? Oh he doesn't know anything and isn't even a real threat? Okay.

Don't get me wrong, I like the show. This dude continues with the same formula that's become less and less satisfying since season 1.

Pretty sure Harris killed him and faked the suicide note.. but we don't know what he saw to clue him in, drawings on the wall?

Seems like it gotta be more

Problem with this season and the show runner, is same shh with lost.. if you're going make a big deal about details, then you can't just drop shh that is seemingly important.. like ole girl doing the investigation, she seemed pretty invested

The way it was setup I wouldve thought that she was Julie's daughter or somehow trying to cover up the Hoyt's involvement. It wasnt a bad season at all. I just was expecting something out of left field.

Which means Ali is like max 6'1.. and dorff is max 5'7

That's what I was thinking. Dudes always exaggerate their height :lol:

I'm a true 6'3" and and I overheard dude I work with who is a good 1-2" shorter than me telling folks he's 6'4"

giphy.gif

That's what I was thinking. Dudes always exaggerate their height :lol:

I'm a true 6'3" and and I overheard dude I work with who is a good 1-2" shorter than me telling folks he's 6'4"

giphy.gif

Supposedly trump is 6'3, when you can see him standing next to people not 6'3

Also claims he's not overweight

Nah this season was crap

Good acting

But dude need not write the plot anymore he's 1/3

To be 100...First season got a big push from having Fukunaga behind the lense and adding input into the scrips while filming...

I’d also say it’s far more cohesive to have a single director for the entire season, when it comes to doing anthology type shows...Far more jarring to skip between directors on a story that’s eight episodes long...As compared to a story that might unfold over several seasons for other shows...Just seems more logical, from a story standpoint, to have a single person come through and treat it like an eight hour movie...Keeps lose ends to a minimum...

Probably gave them a red herring with the praying hands so they could focus on the church angle.

but i dont think they even made that connection

like if it was in julie personality to be religious like that, we dont know cuz we dont know julie at all

So what exactly did the dad see when he went in the pink room and said "Julie?" and Harris crept up behind him? What happened after that? The fake suicide?

I would imagine his death followed, yea. Unsure what he actually did see tho.

Probably gave them a red herring with the praying hands so they could focus on the church angle.

See that whole church swing could’ve easily been cut and added time to the death of Amelia for example...

Same with the documentary angle...Could’ve left that out too...Wayne could’ve just as easily gotten thrown back into the case by watching a documentary on TV...Would have served the same damn purpose...

Julie’s art on the wall...Samy type of drawings she had on her desk at home...He knew she drew it when he saw it...

So what exactly did the dad see when he went in the pink room and said "Julie?" and Harris crept up behind him? What happened after that? The fake suicide?

Maybe actually deal with the thing that triggered everything in the 1st place, elisa

Also, as was mentioned here, hays could have seen Julie happy and realized what her life would become with that info coming to light.. instead of using his affliction as a convenient way out and then having the son still having the possibility of upsetting that

I dig the parallel they used with Julie at the end though...

The lost girl this hunter has been, well hunting and trying to save, literally for decades, finds and saves him in a time of need...

Besides, even though they leave it up to the viewer (Which I do find lazy), they put the thought out that his detective son will follow up on the address and piece it together for his old man...Could’ve shown something like this if they’d cut some of the other needless stuff out...

I dig the parallel they used with Julie at the end though...

The lost girl this hunter has been, well hunting and trying to save, literally for decades, finds and saves him in a time of need...

Besides, even though they leave it up to the viewer (Which I do find lazy), they put the thought out that his detective son will follow up on the address and piece it together for his old man...Could’ve shown something like this if they’d cut some of the other needless stuff out...

See that's my problem.. that moment could have been the empowering moment for this old man that has had his life tainted by that case

Have him get closure by seeing her happiness.. then could have him end the interview.. makeup with his daughter.. and could even explain things to his partner and son, max.. and you have the family moment

But to have his memory lapses show up then, felt cheap

See that's my problem.. that moment could have been the empowering moment for this old man that has had his life tainted by that case

Have him get closure by seeing her happiness.. then could have him end the interview.. makeup with his daughter.. and could even explain things to his partner and son, max.. and you have the family moment

But to have his memory lapses show up then, felt cheap

His empowering moment was in 1990 when he quit the force and started living a happy life with his wife and family...As the conversation with his wife laid out, for the first time in his life he made a choice to the benefit of himself (And by the very act, his family) rather than to benefit someone else...

His memory loss issue in that moment was a way for them to segue into his nature as a hunter...He won’t ever completely stop hunting, in this situation for closure, because that’s not in him...That’s why they left us with that parting shot of a young Hayes walking alone into a Vietnamese jungle, going back out to hunt...

Also felt cheap for the book to open to that part.. very easily could have had him remember details and go look once he got home after seeing the name

Also hearing the little girl named Julie

Like when a song gets stuck in your head type deal

Also felt cheap for the book to open to that part.. very easily could have had him remember details and go look once he got home after seeing the name

Yeah that was lazy...I’d have been fine if they’d had his Amelia vision initiate that line of thought for him...They basically had that version of her acting as his subconscious anyway...Then followed that up with him looking for and finding the info on the kid in the book...

Back
Top Bottom