∞HBO: "True Detective: Night Country" (Late 2023)...Season 4 Set in Alaska…Starring Jodie Foster…Barry Jenkins Producing∞

How would you grade Season II of "True Detective" ?

• A

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • B

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • C

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • D

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • F

Votes: 8 16.0%

• Total voters
That's what I was thinking. Dudes always exaggerate their height :lol:

I'm a true 6'3" and and I overheard dude I work with who is a good 1-2" shorter than me telling folks he's 6'4"

giphy.gif
Like The Rock. He's listed at 6'5, but really is 6'1.

Yeah that was lazy...I’d have been fine if they’d had his Amelia vision initiate that line of thought for him...They basically had that version of her acting as his subconscious anyway...Then followed that up with him looking for and finding the info on the kid in the book...

Yup.. could have very easily have all that kick in as soon as he heard the name.. also felt naming the daughter Julie to be cheap, because you never really see that amongst women

Sure you see a grandmother's or other older relative's name used.. but it's rare to see mother to daughter.. also when you consider the mother's childhood and how she's hiding, why make that connection

The name on the truck should be enough to trigger hays wondering why he knows the name and visions of his wife

Also felt cheap for the book to open to that part.. very easily could have had him remember details and go look once he got home after seeing the name

Also hearing the little girl named Julie

Like when a song gets stuck in your head type deal

Wait...I thought the little girl was named Lucy...Like they named her after Julie’s mom...Kind of to show that she’d made peace with the whole thing...

I thought the ending was solid. I was expecting more of a shocker ending though.

What did you guys think the final shot of him walking into the jungle meant?

To quote myself...This is how I view it anyway...

His memory loss issue in that moment was a way for them to segue into his nature as a hunter...He won’t ever completely stop hunting, in this situation for closure, because that’s not in him...That’s why they left us with that parting shot of a young Hayes walking alone into a Vietnamese jungle, going back out to hunt...

Wait...I thought the little girl was named Lucy...Like they named her after Julie’s mom...Kind of to show that she’d made peace with the whole thing...

Maybe.. can't remember.. just seemed odd, given she was still hiding out, and a bit lazy

I thought the ending was solid. I was expecting more of a shocker ending though.

I think it could have been done better.. like hays saying the anticlimactic line, then it going on to Julie and the whole cover story

Pretty sure Harris killed him and faked the suicide note.. but we don't know what he saw to clue him in, drawings on the wall?

Seems like it gotta be more

Problem with this season and the show runner, is same shh with lost.. if you're going make a big deal about details, then you can't just drop shh that is seemingly important.. like ole girl doing the investigation, she seemed pretty invested

Julie used to draw all the time. Pictures of princesses and a pink room etc. Then he finds the same drawings on the walls of a pink room at the place he was convinced Julie was being held against her will. One of the drawings literally has the name "Julie" above it. It's pretty clear that's what he saw and knew it was his daughter :lol:

Julie used to draw all the time. Pictures of princesses and a pink room etc. Then he finds the same drawings on the walls of a pink room at the place he was convinced Julie was being held against her will. One of the drawings literally has the name "Julie" above it. It's pretty clear that's what he saw and knew it was his daughter :lol:

Man no it doesn't.

“Princess Mary,” “Sir Junius” and “Queen Isabel.”

screen-shot-2019-02-25-at-11.39.51-am.png

Last edited:
I just didn’t like how it was explained by junious whom was tipped by an old maid they found randomly 25 years later. Like how did they find her after all that time.

She said June and then they looked his name up and boom found him and then he explains everything that happened.

Last edited:
Man no it doesn't.

“Princess Mary,” “Sir Junius” and “Queen Isabel.”

screen-shot-2019-02-25-at-11.39.51-am.png

My bad, you right. Princess “Mary” as in Mary July, the name she was using at the convent. Got that mixed up.

It is the very similar to the pink room drawings Mary made at home though?

True_Detective_season_3_drawing_2.jpg

ob98co61hlb21.png

yea.. hard for me to believe that a parent would be able to pick out random drawings and coloring as their child's without identifying marks or things

like say a child with a sibling and dog drawing 2 parents, a sibling and a dog.. and even then that would be iffey, because that could be very very very common

and i wouldnt even dream of questioning the love of a parent who could or couldnt do that

To be 100...First season got a big push from having Fukunaga behind the lense and adding input into the scrips while filming...

I’d also say it’s far more cohesive to have a single director for the entire season, when it comes to doing anthology type shows...Far more jarring to skip between directors on a story that’s eight episodes long...As compared to a story that might unfold over several seasons for other shows...Just seems more logical, from a story standpoint, to have a single person come through and treat it like an eight hour movie...Keeps lose ends to a minimum...
That’s why I wish Jeremy Saulnier directed the full season as planned. It seems Nic Pizzolatto might be the common denominator in why Fukunaga left and Saulnier decided to skip after two episodes. All the stories from season 1 and 2 was that he was overbearing and hard to work with.

Looking at what they’ve done since, I’m not even mad at the idea that Fukunaga is like 70% of what made season 1 so good.

Also thinking about it, this season would’ve been better served if it was being told in a more linear way...Could’ve started the first couple episodes in 1980, couple more in 1990, final bunch in 2015...To me it would’ve definitely served to tell the story in a more cohesive way...

I just didn’t like how it was explained by junious whom was tipped by an old maid they found randomly 25 years later. Like how did they find her after all that time.

She said June and then they looked his name up and boom found him and then he explains everything that happened.

Yah, finding that lady was random but the tracked down the one eyed dude by the license plate. Although it doesnt really make sense to me why dude would just stalk Wayne at night.

:lol: man that's how every child's artwork looks

also, the whole true crime documentary thing was a waste

Yah, i thought for sure the doc would tie into it some how. They should've just taken their time and expanded to 10-12 eps to tie in everything. Just felt so rushed to end it at ep 8.

Tom probably thought anything resembling a blonde little girl was Julie. Fam was in shambles

I also was not a fan of the back and forth timeline jumping, felt excessive

Back
Top Bottom