⚽️The Footy Thread: Lock Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, really is retirement season out here

E3B5DFAB-6032-4D14-BFD3-825305819239.png

Who retired last year? Couple of well known people right? Can’t remember

It's funny how the mentalities have switched the past couple of years under Zidane, with Real Madrid slowly replacing an aging squad with La Fabrica product while complementing with signings, while Barca keeps throwing $$$ at anyone possible. Yes, there have been some good signings, but there have also been complete wastes of money for players that are not bad but not even close to being Barca material.

It’s honestly baffeling to me how Barça and RM have switched places in football culture, and how so ridiculously quickly it happened.

Off and on the pitch, Barça have abandoned the essence of what made them so unique and so admirable.

Now they crab grab any/every sponsor deal they can, they’re literally scheduling FRIENDLIES during the season, they’re not bringing up youth players from La Masia, “total football” has died, and most importantly (to me at least), was how they handled the “Catalan Referendum” week back in September.

They decided to play a La Liga game in an empty stadium during that crazy contested referendum. While Catalan’s were being beaten and overpowered by the Spanish Army Police. The Police were literally going into every voting station they could to steal the voting ballots, forcefully abusing anyone in their way. Women, teenagers, old folks, etc, they did not care; kicking democracy and decency in the face (it was something that looked straight up out the Franco era).

Barça was and will always be the refuge for Catalans, “Mes Que un club”, wtf were they doing playing football? They should have canceled the game and protested on behalf of the people. Barça would have done so 10 years ago, hell, they would have done it 5 years ago. They’re arguably the biggest club in the world, they had a chance to send a message to the world and they blew it. I couldn’t believe it.

They’ve changed so much in such a short time. Psk talks about the president and the board a lot, how they should be fired, and I agree with him. Barça need to go back to being Barcelona. I hope “mes que in club” hasn’t left with Iniesta....

they tried to vote out the president and couldn't get enough signatures.
new president then bring pep home...josep has been trying to do way too damn much and it's our football that's being neglected.

Nah they scumbag Barca now, Suarez, Alba, Busquets, Griez, Qatar sponsorships
nah. we got messi.

It’s honestly baffeling to me how Barça and RM have switched places in football culture, and how so ridiculously quickly it happened.

Off and on the pitch, Barça have abandoned the essence of what made them so unique and so admirable.

Now they crab grab any/every sponsor deal they can, they’re literally scheduling FRIENDLIES during the season, they’re not bringing up youth players from La Masia, “total football” has died, and most importantly (to me at least), was how they handled the “Catalan Referendum” week back in September.

They decided to play a La Liga game in an empty stadium during that crazy contested referendum. While Catalan’s were being beaten and overpowered by the Spanish Army Police. The Police were literally going into every voting station they could to steal the voting ballots, forcefully abusing anyone in their way. Women, teenagers, old folks, etc, they did not care; kicking democracy and decency in the face (it was something that looked straight up out the Franco era).

Barça was and will always be the refuge for Catalans, “Mes Que un club”, wtf were they doing playing football? They should have canceled the game and protested on behalf of the people. Barça would have done so 10 years ago, hell, they would have done it 5 years ago. They’re arguably the biggest club in the world, they had a chance to send a message to the world and they blew it. I couldn’t believe it.

They’ve changed so much in such a short time. Psk talks about the president and the board a lot, how they should be fired, and I agree with him. Barça need to go back to being Barcelona. I hope “mes que in club” hasn’t left with Iniesta....

Agreed, and that's a big part of why I "prefer" Barca these days but am not the fan I used to be since I started watching when Barca, not RM, was the main Portuguese proxy team in Spain :lol: By that I mean that I still kind of root for them to win, but I really couldn't care less if they don't.

Even aside from the referendum fiasco and unnecessary friendlies you mentioned, things like the Qatar sponsorships, getting scumbag players like Suarez and Neymar (ok,maybe that's just my intense personal dislike of him since day one)...I understand getting Neymar so Real can't get him, but to me, going for Qatar and Suarez right after his racism fiasco basically erased what Barca stood for.

I don't know, maybe I got caught into the elitist "Mes que un club" mentality and actually believed in it (which is why I supported them in the past after all the Portuguese players left), but now they've proved they're just like any other club on earth. Which isn't terrible, but still...it got rid of the allure the club once had IMO

Last edited:
man, new arsenal kit for next year is straight trash

Need to cop some of that black/pink from this year

they tried to vote out the president and couldn't get enough signatures.
new president then bring pep home...josep has been trying to do way too damn much and it's our football that's being neglected.

Bruh I think Pep might be done after City, he said multiple times he’s never planned on managing for long. He already achieved everything and more with Barça.

I wasn’t just talking about Barça’s football tho, Barça used to be more than just that.

Agreed, and that's a big part of why I "prefer" Barca these days but am not the fan I used to be since I started watching when Barca, not RM, was the main Portuguese proxy team in Spain :lol: By that I mean that I still kind of root for them to win, but I really couldn't care less if they don't.
Even aside from the referendum fiasco and unnecessary friendlies you mentioned, things like the Qatar sponsorships, getting scumbag players like Suarez and Neymar (ok,maybe that's just my intense personal dislike of him since day one)...I understand getting Neymar so Real can't get him, but to me, going for Qatar and Suarez right after his racism fiasco basically erased what Barca stood for.
I don't know, maybe I got caught into the elitist "Mes que un club" mentality and actually believed in it (which is why I supported them in the past after all the Portuguese players left), but now they've proved they're just like any other club on earth. Which isn't terrible, but still...it got rid of the allure the club once had IMO

Yea I remember when I first showed up in this thread you were Barça heavy, you were a legit fan, then you gradually lost your fanhood :lol:. (I always meant to ask you what happened, glad you cleared it up).

But yea, the allure of “Mes Que Un Club” is just about dead. It’s disappointing.

Barca sacrificed their "values" for short-term success.. real sh*t show going on there

Bruh I think Pep might be done after City, he said multiple times he’s never planned on managing for long. He already achieved everything and more with Barça.

I wasn’t just talking about Barça’s football tho, Barça used to be more than just that.

Yea I remember when I first showed up in this thread you were Barça heavy, you were a legit fan, then you gradually lost your fanhood :lol:. (I always meant to ask you what happened, glad you cleared it up).

But yea, the allure of “Mes Que Un Club” is just about dead. It’s disappointing.

Yeah. Honestly though, it's more fun for me to watch football these days as a "slightly biased neutral" than being a complete fan of a team and having skewed views of how things go down in a match. For example, yesterday I was watching a highlight video of all the Mourinho era RM fouls/fights with Barca, and yeah even though the RM players were fouling the @#$@ out of everyone, I saw a whole bunch of incidents I justified in the past like "that might not have been a foul, but if it was, it would've hurt the player, so give RM a yellow/red anyway".

That's why the last Clasico was fun for me to watch. Instead of getting worked up and nervous, and even though I wanted Barca to win, I enjoyed both teams causing chaos on the pitch and watching/hearing the "WTFFFF" reactions of all my friends every 5 minutes :lol:

Feels like the club lost it's 'innocence' around the time they got the Qatari sponsorship and the OG Neymar saga,they've become more of a modern, business oriented mega club than the cultural institution it used to represent

In random stuff

Fro might stay after all :smh:

This guy Griez...

Last edited:
Barca sacrificed their "values" for short-term success.. real sh*t show going on there

And there lays the irony of it all, that short term success hasn't translated on the pitch. Now Real Madrid are on the verge of winning three straight Champions League titles, four in five years. It felt like yesterday when we all clowned RM and said they'd never get to "La Decima", now they're going for La Decima-Tercera. If I was a Barça member I'd be protesting, you'd catch me out on the streets of Las Ramblas with a pitchfork. Coked the **** out and looking for somebody to smack.

Welp...

http://mundoalbiceleste.com/2018/05/22/breaking-news-sergio-romero-out-of-the-world-cup/

Some breaking news coming out of Argentina which has been confirmed by the team, goalkeeper Sergio ROMERO is out due to injury and will miss the World Cup.

A tweet coming from the official Argentina National Team’s Twitter account has confirmed that the Manchester United goalkeeper is out of the tournament. A join in his right knee has caused him problems and he is out of the tournament.

Selección Argentina

✔@Argentina

https://twitter.com/Argentina/status/999044832520818695

[DESAFECTADO] Sergio Romero sufrió hoy un cuadro de bloqueo articular en su rodilla derecha que lo dejará fuera de la convocatoria.

2:50 PM - May 22, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy

This could surely open the door for River Plate man Franco ARMANI to take over as the starting goalkeeper. Nahuel GUZMAN who made the list of 35 could possibly be called-up as the replacement.

And there lays the irony of it all, that short term success hasn't translated on the pitch. Now Real Madrid are on the verge of winning three straight Champions League titles, four in five years. It felt like yesterday when we all clowned RM and said they'd never get to "La Decima", now they're going for La Decima-Tercera. If I was a Barça member I'd be protesting, you'd catch me out on the streets of Las Ramblas with a pitchfork. Coked the **** out and looking for somebody to smack.
you my mans.. but they deff have had recent success... that 1 UCL that madrid didn't win ended up being a treble for Barca.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom