Should we start a new football thread?

• Yes... - Lets Start Fresh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nah... - Lets Just Keep This Going

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Lie-chester... 
smokin.gif

Last pre season game for Lie-Chester. Against Werder Bremen. At home. Be nice to see them back at home today :D

Sup ya'll.. just thought I'd pop in.

After a decade+ of gettting really into world cup then completely forgetting about it for 4 years... something stuck this year.  I can't stop thinking about futbol and that hasn't gone away once the WC ended.  i've always said i liked bayern but with no way to watch 'em that doesn't really count and it's just an extension of my support of the german nat'l team.

I'm in the process of picking a BPL team and would love to hear some opinions as to why I should/shouldn't root for particular teams.

So far I'm pretty well narrowed down like this (no order)

Arsenal

Liverpool

Tottenham

Everton

(wild cards: Crystal Palace, Leicter City... obv fear of getting into 'em then them getting relegated...)

I've been all over the table narrowing teams down so I'm just curious.  Immediate nos are for MancU and ManCity, I will listen to just about everything else.

Most important to me I think is watching quality football with skilled players so I've tried to cut out the grind it out/grittier/dirtier teams.  Between that and relegation fears that doesn't leave a ton of room.

Prolly going to write an article about it... it's all I've thought about for weeks haha.

Anyways, I'm a BPL fan for now and will be for a few weeks as I figure this whole thing out.

I'd like to lean towards Arsenal as they seem to have solid tradition, classy history and style, a willingness to spend to stay relevant at the top, and some of my favorite players ... but the more I research this the less I realize players and play style should matter as players/mgrs come n go but the names stay the same...  So maybe I'll just go based on the fact that red is my favorite color :tongue:

Last edited:
Sup ya'll.. just thought I'd pop in.
After a decade+ of gettting really into world cup then completely forgetting about it for 4 years... something stuck this year.  I can't stop thinking about futbol and that hasn't gone away once the WC ended.
I'm in the process of picking a BPL team and would love to hear some opinions as to why I should/shouldn't root for particular teams.

So far I'm pretty well narrowed down like this (no order)

Arsenal
Liverpool
Tottenham
Everton
(wild cards: Crystal Palace, Leicter City... obv fear of getting into 'em then them getting relegated...)

I've been all over the table narrowing teams down so I'm just curious.  Immediate nos are for MancU and ManCity, I will listen to just about everything else.
Most important to me I think is watching quality football with skilled players so I've tried to cut out the grind it out/grittier/dirtier teams.  Between that and relegation fears that doesn't leave a ton of room.

Prolly going to write an article about it... it's all I've thought about for weeks haha.

Anyways, I'm a BPL fan for now and will be for a few weeks as I figure this whole thing out.

Why the immediate dismissal of Manchester City, but keep teams like Arsenal and Liverpool as options? Pick between Spurs or even at Stoke City, Sunderland or Hull who are building very good squads.

Why would you care if the team gets relegated ? If you're a fan you're a fan.
True but who wouldn't want a squad that's at the very least competitive. I know fandom is supposed to overlook that but let's be honest, rooting for a squad like that as an outsider you'll probably lose interest in the sport fast.

This is my completely unbiased opinion coming from someone who's only been watching for about 6 years now:

Arsenal - Cool jerseys/kits, limits their spending which makes them competitive and not competitive at the same damn time, great history. Have a very appealing playing style.

Everton - Young squad on the rise, similar to the approach Tottenham took a while ago, a very competent manager in Roberto Martinez and nice jerseys/kits as well. Infrastructure is still fragile though and could easily come crumbling down if things go wrong, such as clubs poaching their younger guys/lack of funds. Also possess an appealing playing style.

Chelsea - A once mid-level team that has made a big jump over the past few years thanks to Russian ownership and is on the verge of finally solidifying themselves in the upper tier of clubs, there's still work to be done on that last goal. Jerseys/Kits range from great (I love our home kit) to eh (I hate our away kits). We have a rep as a defensive squad though with several additions it might lead to "attractive football".

Based on what you've said of course, I would rank it as Arsenal, Everton, and then Chelsea as a distant third.

The best thing though is for you to watch a few games and then decide but Arsenal would probably suit you the best.

Why the immediate dismissal of Manchester City, but keep teams like Arsenal and Liverpool as options? Pick between Spurs or even at Stoke City, Sunderland or Hull who are building very good squads.
I'm sorry if it seems like this was 'immediate' ya'll are catchin this decision more than midway.  I've been mulling for almost 2 weeks now.  I Broke it down between regular contenders, just outsiders, and fears of relegation.

To answer the other person re avoiding a team that will be relegated.  I'm being realistic.  I don't see myself continuing to follow a team that isn't BPL year in and year out unless there's some backstory that gives me pause to consider (See Leicter City i'm sure i botched that spelling) just got back into the BPL and have an owner pledging to spend 300mil over the next few years to keep them there...

I have no natural ties to GBritain so regional/area/home fans/stadium are all kinda irrelevant to me.  But to answer your question.  man city got cut primarily for 3 reasons.  I'm not familiar/a fan of any of their players particularly.  I'm not keen on the notion of picking the team that won last year.  Most importantly, I don't want to have to buy new kicks to match the sky/baby blue cw that I tend to dislike/looks horrible on me.  So all of those combined they basically lose to Arsenal/Liverpool among the 'contender' group because I like red better, and I like some of the players on both of those.  I still have arsenal in front as liverpool seems to not play as exciting of football but we'll see.

I've always been the hipster type when it came to things like this so I'm trying to avoid going with my gut and just picking a midrange club that no one here seems to be a big fan of (read no supporters groups watching games at the 'insert team here' pub/bar.  So i'm trying to fight that. Keeping in mind style/players/us accessiblity.

RE the ranking that's pretty much how I have it.  I also have a couple of friends who have been Tottenham fans for a whiel now so the idea of getting into beef with them is very appealing.  Arsenal seems to be the right mix of fun to watch, players I like, and mgmt style that keeps them competitive w/out making them the hated overspenders... (although I have noticed this summer they did drop over 100mil to get the likes of Sanchez n others in town...

Everton, i just hate the jerseys... I like the Lukaku signing, I like howard in net... but the sponsor and blue don't look appealing.  Not a dealbreaker as kits change each year but just in the mix.  But they're on the outside lookign in, they're growing, and it could be a fun ride.

Tottenham I had initially dimsmissed soloely on the fact that they're 'the spurs'... I've had a livid hatred of the sa spurs since I was a child so much that when people say spurs the hairs on the back of my neck standup... but.... I like their commitment to style and playing a certain way even if it means giving up the counter.

Chelsea I love their kits, love their retros, like a lot of the players and the mgr... but don't know how I feel about supporting a team that is willing to at least try to buy the title every year.

I'm just seein what folks think and I appreciate the feedback.

My next steps are going to the ManCity/Arsenal game tmrw at the arsenal pub.  Then next saturday going to the pub that hosts the groups for mancity/everton/chelsea/and a few others (basically only Arsenal, Liverpool, n Tottenham have their own pubs in boston.  A lot of the rest all meetup at 1 pub together.

I have a weird interest in Leicter City and Crystal Palace... so I'm just going to go out see what the fans around here are like, see what the atmosphere at the different spots are like, and go from there.

This is the first time in my life I'm picking a team that has nothing to do with someone else or where I'm at but purely based on what I want in a futbol club... that's a lil crazy to me.

Is there a good club for neurotic fashion minded types that like clean smooth football, 420, n prolly red?

I liked every other team I've ever looked for other people's reasons, I'm in a mental minefield sorting this out, maybe some good comedy will come out of it. 

What do smoking and colors have anything to do with what team you like?

Just watch a @#$% load of games for the next few months and see what team you find yourself rooting for the most

Last edited:
Is there a good club for neurotic fashion minded types that like clean smooth football, 420, n prolly red?

I liked every other team I've ever looked for other people's reasons, I'm in a mental minefield sorting this out, maybe some good comedy will come out of it. 
Wiki the teams you like read their history and maybe that will help you choose a club. I'm a Liverpool supporter and as corny as it may sound, I went with the team because I felt a sudden attachment to them that I didn't feel with the other clubs. And this is with watching footy for years specifically Man U games because my relatives who are older are Man U supporters.

What do smoking and colors have anything to do with what team you like?

Just watch a @#$% load of games for the next few months and see what team you find yourself rooting for the most
Ya, I'm just being a lil silly and making fun of myself cuz I really don't have any reason to like one more than anther short of current players I like and style both of which are never static.  I guess I could go with Crystal palace cuz it sounds like a strip club :tongue:

I'm sorry if it seems like this was 'immediate' ya'll are catchin this decision more than midway.  I've been mulling for almost 2 weeks now.  I Broke it down between regular contenders, just outsiders, and fears of relegation.

To answer the other person re avoiding a team that will be relegated.  I'm being realistic.  I don't see myself continuing to follow a team that isn't BPL year in and year out unless there's some backstory that gives me pause to consider (See Leicter City i'm sure i botched that spelling) just got back into the BPL and have an owner pledging to spend 300mil over the next few years to keep them there...

I have no natural ties to GBritain so regional/area/home fans/stadium are all kinda irrelevant to me.  But to answer your question.  man city got cut primarily for 3 reasons.  I'm not familiar/a fan of any of their players particularly.  I'm not keen on the notion of picking the team that won last year.  Most importantly, I don't want to have to buy new kicks to match the sky/baby blue cw that I tend to dislike/looks horrible on me.  So all of those combined they basically lose to Arsenal/Liverpool among the 'contender' group because I like red better, and I like some of the players on both of those.  I still have arsenal in front as liverpool seems to not play as exciting of football but we'll see.

I've always been the hipster type when it came to things like this so I'm trying to avoid going with my gut and just picking a midrange club that no one here seems to be a big fan of (read no supporters groups watching games at the 'insert team here' pub/bar.  So i'm trying to fight that. Keeping in mind style/players/us accessiblity.

RE the ranking that's pretty much how I have it.  I also have a couple of friends who have been Tottenham fans for a whiel now so the idea of getting into beef with them is very appealing.  Arsenal seems to be the right mix of fun to watch, players I like, and mgmt style that keeps them competitive w/out making them the hated overspenders... (although I have noticed this summer they did drop over 100mil to get the likes of Sanchez n others in town...

Everton, i just hate the jerseys... I like the Lukaku signing, I like howard in net... but the sponsor and blue don't look appealing.  Not a dealbreaker as kits change each year but just in the mix.  But they're on the outside lookign in, they're growing, and it could be a fun ride.

Tottenham I had initially dimsmissed soloely on the fact that they're 'the spurs'... I've had a livid hatred of the sa spurs since I was a child so much that when people say spurs the hairs on the back of my neck standup... but.... I like their commitment to style and playing a certain way even if it means giving up the counter.

Chelsea I love their kits, love their retros, like a lot of the players and the mgr... but don't know how I feel about supporting a team that is willing to at least try to buy the title every year.

I'm just seein what folks think and I appreciate the feedback.

My next steps are going to the ManCity/Arsenal game tmrw at the arsenal pub.  Then next saturday going to the pub that hosts the groups for mancity/everton/chelsea/and a few others (basically only Arsenal, Liverpool, n Tottenham have their own pubs in boston.  A lot of the rest all meetup at 1 pub together.

I have a weird interest in Leicter City and Crystal Palace... so I'm just going to go out see what the fans around here are like, see what the atmosphere at the different spots are like, and go from there.

This is the first time in my life I'm picking a team that has nothing to do with someone else or where I'm at but purely based on what I want in a futbol club... that's a lil crazy to me.

Yea read through the advice, watch a bunch of games if a few teams catch your attention then read up on their history. That's how you get stuck in and attached to a club. Last thing you should look at is if jerseys match your kicks lol.

Zenit DESTROYS newly promoted Torpedo Moskva 8-1 :smokin:

They've scored 15 goals in their last 3 games now

Last edited:
Werder Bremen beat Chelsea 3-0

Leicester Beat Werder 1-0 today.

Leicester>Chelsea

image.jpg

image.jpg

Excuse the lack of fans, that part of the ground is shut :lol:

AND ITS LEICESTER

L
E