🦉The Official Drake Thread6️⃣ - Scary Hours 3 11.17.23

I'm pretty sure O.D. was sold commercially in the same vein as IYRTITL I know TDE is notorious about giving nothing for free.

Last edited:
But, like If you're reading this, it was a mixtape. Section 80 would be like if you're reading this as far as how it was sold.

And initially, O.D. was for sure billed as a free mixtape that was later sold (If I recall correctly). Plenty of reputiable Hip-Hop sites had it available for free download when it dropped. I ended up buying a hard copy of it from Amoeba, but I had already downloaded it for free.

We're intelligent enough to know he's not in that category, he may end up being among the best of the Ye, Dre, Diddy clan. Although no-one of his work is on any of their best level sans Diddy.

We're intelligent enough to know he's not in that category, he may end up being among the best of the Ye, Dre, Diddy clan. Although no-one of his work is on any of their best level sans Diddy.
Who is we?

In a corner of the Hip-Hop community, they'll hold the writing allegations and what not against him, sure.

But those who dictate culture and who's voices carry weight? They don't care...they already don't care. He's teflon. When you talk about the best rappers in Hip-Hop they almost always say Cole Kendrick and Drake in some order. The vast majority still see him as a rapper. They don't associate him with Diddy, or Dre man, they don't. It'll be a footnote in his career, but that's it. Hell cole mentioned Drake as one of his contemporaries on his own album. Dot did the same on control. He's still viewed largely as a rapper with pop sensibilities.

When it's all set and done he'll be right there as a rapper whether we like it or not.

We as in those intelligent enough to differentiate an artist (who raps on the side) from an actual rapper, who desire not being the loudest voices, I still believe are the real majority. If anyone tries to put Aubrey in that vein they're just misinformed is all.

Last edited:
Bro Complex just named Drake the best Rapper of 2015, and he'll probably be the best rapper of 2016 as well. 

I hate complex, but they are one of the gatekeepers for culture and provide a pulse of sorts for how the public feels and reacts to Hip-Hop culture.

10 years from now when we look back at Hip-Hop, no one (well anyone who really matters and anyone who's voice really matters) will liken Drake to P. Diddy or Dr. Dre. 

I mean I guess it could happen, but I seriously doubt it. His run as a rapper is just too big.

The only reason why I say it could happen, is because of social media.

Social media provides a voice for everyone and if people are loud enough, then I supposed they'd get Drake out the paint when it comes to best rapper discussions.

When did people start equating record sales with being an all time great?

Nelly and 50 are 2 rappers that sold the most in the 2000s, that alone doesn't put them in the running for top 5/top 10 lists.

Kevin Gates has fake numbers.

Somehow he had the #18 and #50 song in the country with 2 phones and "really really". Nobody heard the latter.

New rules
laugh.gif
I hear Really Really quite a bit in Chicago. That's my **** right there! 
laugh.gif
smokin.gif

Last edited:
Who in here has Drake in their top 5?

Honestly I don't know where to put Drake he really has his own Lane, definitely not a Diddy, Dre or ye hell not even pitbull of Flo Rida. I never cared about weeknd, majid jordan, PND giving him R&b or pop music but the QM verse thing ****** me up. I can deal with a hook but verses nah b

I think it will tarnish his legacy as a rapper and anytime his mentioned in top 5 that will be the argument against it. Then again dude has had a unprecedented run at the top and is widely considered a rapper I can't call it man

When did people start equating record sales with being an all time great?

Nelly and 50 are 2 rappers that sold the most in the 2000s, that alone doesn't put them in the running for top 5/top 10 lists.

This.

Ye isn't on any of those lists either, and I'd argue his run is better than Aubrey. And :rofl: at Complex being a gate keeper of hip hop. They're a troll organization that's claim to fame is making trash lists about everything.

And the comparisons to Dre and Diddy is that they rapped at times but weren't rappers. He is probably the best comparison directly though.

Last edited:
Y'all missed the point as to why Complex was brought up.

I hate complex, but they do represent a big part of the grand Hip-Hop culture. If you disagree then, I mean...So, to a degree you can use what they say as a litmus for how the people view certain artists and rappers.

Like I alluded to, there will for sure be factions of people who won't include Drake in those discussions but the people who evaluate rap music with voices that matter, years from now will put him right there.

Last edited:
Who in here has Drake in their top 5?

Honestly I don't know where to put Drake he really has his own Lane, definitely not a Diddy, Dre or ye hell not even pitbull of Flo Rida. I never cared about weeknd, majid jordan, PND giving him R&b or pop music but the QM verse thing ****** me up. I can deal with a hook but verses nah b

I think it will tarnish his legacy as a rapper and anytime his mentioned in top 5 that will be the argument against it. Then again dude has had a unprecedented run at the top and is widely considered a rapper I can't call it man
Man people (including Complex) was calling him the best rapper out AFTER the writing allegations. Unless something comes from A top rapper like cole or kendrick or hov or something, it won't be enough to "tarnish" his legacy.

Wavez calls him the [emoji]128016[/emoji] every day. Don't mean ****. And still :rofl: at Complex being relevant in any form.

So complex not relevant now? 
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Their list still make headlines for culture.

You're too fixated on "Complex" to not realize what complex actually represents. There's a large faction of people who go to websites and publications SUCH AS complex that view Drake as a rapper and not in the vein of Diddy or Dre or some pop act. And they not only view Drake as rapper, but they view him as the best, or one of the best.

That's the point. 

Last edited:
Wavez calls him the [emoji]128016[/emoji] every day. Don't mean ****. And still :rofl: at Complex being relevant in any form.

Ha it means just as much as your opinion :lol:

And Imma just pretend I didn't see someone say future making a case to be mentioned in top anything :rofl:

Only time anybody pays attention to Complex is when they put an especially absurd lost like that top 10 all time rappers lost. Their nothing more than shock "journalism". Who's credible in the industry (and cares about the actual art form) that actually goes to them? Let me guess tyre same ones who though Macklemore is a rapper too, right?

Last edited:

So complex not relevant now? 
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Their list still make headlines for culture.

You're too fixated on "Complex" to not realize what complex actually represents. There's a large faction of people who go to websites and publications SUCH AS complex that view Drake as a rapper and not in the vein of Diddy or Dre or some pop act. And they not only view Drake as rapper, but they view him as the best, or one of the best.

That's the point. 
The point you're not understanding is that those people's opinions don't matter.

The only metric they use to judge Drake against the rappers that came before him is record sales.

They consider Drake the "best" rapper simply because he's selling the most records.

I personally have nothing against Drake and like his music when he's rapping but if the only thing you can use to bolster your argument about Drake being a top 5/10 rapper is his records sales then a lot of people aren't going to take your viewpoint seriously.

Some of the best rappers of all time didn't move units.  Nas is always in the conversation of one of the best ever but Biggie has sold damn near if not more records than him and he's been dead for almost 20 years.

Only time anybody pays attention to Complex is when they put an especially absurd lost like that top 10 all time rappers lost. Their nothing more than shock "journalism". Who's credible in the industry (and cares about the actual art form) that actually goes to them?
Well that's subjective. You already think Complex doesn't care about the art form so anybody I name who's credible in the industry and goes to complex will automatically be dismissed by you 
laugh.gif

Bottomline, I won't try to change your viewpoint on complex, and you're missing the entire point if you keep bringing up "complex." It's not about complex. It's about what they represent.

Them calling Drake the best rapper of 2015, or the best rapper of 2016 isn't some opinion that they generate themselves. By and large, most of the culture probably believes this which is why they went in that direction. No one puts Drake in the same lane as diddy, or Dr. Dre or pitbull. Literally no one.

They consider Drake the "best" rapper simply because he's selling the most records.
Lol Nah man, you really think that's the only reason why people think Drake is the best or one of the best rappers then, i'ma just leave it at that. This ain't "just" about sales.

I'm not arguing for or against Drake. My opinion on Drake has nothing to do with this. But if you step outside of yourself, you'll see that by and large, a lot of people still think of Drake as a Rapper, and think of him as one of the best rappers at that, writing allegations aside.

Last edited:
I said he's like Diddy and Dre I the sense of being a part time rapper, which he says so himself. As a pop star/artist or whatever he's Kanye in his prime. And they did the exact same with him. No real hip hop fan would suggest Ye is top 5 or 10 ever. It's absurd and that's with him not trying to hide his penmanship.

Hell they had Nicki Manaj as the best of 2014. I mean c'mon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom