🦉The Official Drake Thread6️⃣ - Scary Hours 3 11.17.23

How Bout Now
We Made It
Draft Day
0-100
2 On/Thoughtful (changed the actual word)
Girls Love Beyonce
Heat of the Moment
Can I
Schemin Up
Jodeci Freestyle
Trophies
My Side

All 2014 I believe

We made it, Girls love Beyoncé, Jodeci Freestyle, & Trophies are ‘13 loosies.

Words from those who know and by those who know = he's in OVO

:emoji_eyes:

tUvrken.jpg

Another classic intro coming soon :smokin

They are benchmarks for an achievement. They were before, they still are now.

Sure the mechanism to judge them now has gotten a bit more imprecise but having Gold and Platinum records still mean something special.

People use the streaming argument to say modern musical achievements mean less, but I think there is an argument to be made that without streaming numbers included, it waters down past artist achievements. Because if you force a modern artist to get platinum records only through traditional sales, then an argument will be made that getting a platinum record is harder to do today, streaming and Youtube now work against the artist attaining gold and platinum, so a platinum album in 2018 becomes a bigger accomplishment that it was in 1994 when everyone was forced to listen to or own an album a few ways.

And of course, the argument can be made in the opposite direction

So the argument cuts both ways. So why not just accept times have changed

Similar to Cardi, it won't count on first week sales so I'm waiting on those numbers

Sure the mechanism to judge them now has gotten a bit more imprecise but having Gold and Platinum records still mean something special.

People use the streaming argument to say modern musical achievements mean less, but I think there is an argument to be made that without streaming numbers included, it waters down past artist achievements. Because if you force a modern artist to get platinum records only through traditional sales, then an argument will be made that getting a platinum record is harder to do today, streaming and Youtube now work against the artist attaining gold and platinum, so a platinum album in 2018 becomes a bigger accomplishment that it was in 1994 when everyone was forced to listen to or own an album a few ways.

Yup agreed. People say streaming makes those achievements less worthy, but on the contrary to me they are more representative of the climate of today than say, traditional hard copy CD sales and iTunes sales.

The new model definitely isn't perfect, but it's far far far more indicative of who's actually buying and listening to the music in 2018. If everyone has Apple Music or Spotify, why then, would traditional album sales be a more accurate indication of an artist's popularity or success?

Because if you force a modern artist to get platinum records only through traditional sales, then an argument will be made that getting a platinum record is harder to do today, streaming and Youtube now work against the artist attaining gold and platinum, so a platinum album in 2018 becomes a bigger accomplishment that it was in 1994 when everyone was forced to listen to or own an album a few ways.

This don’t really make sense because it’s not how the RIAA tracks units. RIAA has always been kinda weird because it went off of albums “shipped out” meaning you didn’t actually have to sell those albums to an end consumer for it to count. Nobody was forced to buy those 500k copies for you to get gold. For that reason alone a lot of people in the industry (going back to the early 90s) have never cared about “gold”, “platinum” RIAA **** because it wasn’t even based on actual sales. _’s wanna see Soundscans

Dudes was out here going “gold” off albums shipped out, only to have a big portion of those same unsold units get shipped back to labels by the record stores so they can get credits :lol: That’s why as sales went down they started pressing up less **** and then you had artists complaining about their project being “under shipped”

It’s just really look good for the fans honestly. And I do think on one hand it’s lil more watered down because _’s really don’t have to buy that **** now lol you go gold off people simply listening to your **** but I repped you because I 100% agree it had to change to adjust with the times.

I remember going back and forth with someone claiming streaming was a cheat code :lol:

Drake is the king of streaming, every time he drops something he breaks records. He's been the most streamed for about 3 years now (except Ed Sheeran last year). Meanwhile you got pop artists who are flopping hard out here with streaming included. So what does that tell you?

Drake is the biggest artist in the (currently) most popular/consumed genre of music and he’s on a run right now, that _ bout to do big numbers regardless of any of this **** man :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom