09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Am I the only one who thinks Vitali has this in the bag?
nerd.gif
I agree. I'm going with KO mid rounds.

PBF would destroy Berto. Dude needs more rounds with quality fighters before he can step to any of the top welterweights.

Berto's too heavy footed. he'd get picked apart by Money or Shane. Berto has fast hands, but because he sits on his punches... Floyd can telegraphthem. Whereas Floyd's punches are un-predictable because he can punch on the move, or stationary and his punches just seem to "spring" out.

Shane interview:
[h2]A Post-Fight Conversation with Shane Mosley[/h2]
Sunday, September 20, 2009

Posted By Dave "Large" Larzelere 5:50 PM
3939005752_acce28e9a8.jpg

The biggest newsmaker in the boxing world last night was obviously the man of the hour, Floyd Mayweather. But the unlikely runner-up to that title was Shane Mosley, who got pulled into a post-fight argument with Floyd by Max Kellerman that ended up being a much more competitive contest than the fight that preceded it.

I admit that for my part, I tended to agree with Floyd that the timing of the whole thing was wrong, that he doesn't jump in the ring after Mosley has a big win, or Bernard, so why don't they let him have his moment and talk the trash in some other forum? After the post-fight presser, I asked Floyd if he felt like the whole thing with Kellerman and Mosley felt like a little bit of a set-up. He said, "No, you know what man... I don't wanna say nothing bad about Shane Mosley, and I don't want to say nothing bad about Max Kellerman. It's just my night and I just want repsect. That's all I ask for."

http://Floyd was startlingly classy in the post-fight presser, quite in keeping with the Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde persona. The dude is always humble and muted in victory. And last night, I have to admit, the roomful of assembled press felt to me like a pack of tawdry jackals trying to get their teeth into a lion. The lion, though, was having none of it, just kept his head up like the King of the Jungle does, dusted his lion shoulders off (do lions have shoulders?) and moved on. I tell you, I am fascinated by Floyd Mayweather. Pacquiao may be the people's champ, but Floyd is the most interesting figure in the sport by a mile.

http://All that said, Mosley picked a pretty good time to step into Floyd's spotlight, and if the whole thing with Kellerman was a set-up (Shane insists it wasn't, that he had no idea it would happen), then it was well-staged. Already, one can see on the internet a second-guessing among hardcore boxing fans as to just how necessary a Mayweather/Pacquiao fight really is. There are two arguments, of course, and myself, I don't know which side of the line I fall on right now. The one says that Pacquiao is infinitely more equipped to move up in weight against a talent like Mayweather than Marquez is, and that it would be a terrific fight. The other says that… well, it says take a good look at that fight last night, take a good look at what Floyd did to a man who we all esteem to have been Pacquiao's equal in the ring, and ask yourself how on earth could Pacquiao expect to be competitive where Marquez completely and utterly could not?

Throw in the fact that the negotiating battle lines for that fight are so staunch, that there is a gap between the self-assessments of both sides so vast that one wonders if the fight ever will get made, and then add to that the fact that Pacquiao still has a VERY tough assignment ahead of him in November in Miguel Cotto, and we start to move into a realm where what had seemed a command performance starts to feel ever so slightly less imperative.

And then… there is Mosley. Maybe Cotto will be in the equation as well, but only if he beats Pacquiao. Basically, after November 14th, there will be two fighters left standing as viable opponents for Mayweather next year - the winner of the Pacquiao/Cotto fight, and Mosley. It's no wonder that Mosley is making such a strong case for himself in a limelight-stealing display that felt a little unlike his bedrock personality, which always has seemed to me to be essentially mild and retiring (when not in the boxing ring, of course).

After last night's press conference, in which Floyd was generally complimentary towards Mosley without making any statements whatsoever about whether he would or would not deign to fight him in the future, Mosley stood on the stage of a while and effectively ranted and raved to a group of reporters, me among them. I disagreed with Shane on a few counts and asked him a few contentious questions, and let me tell you something - the man got in my face a little bit. What we were seeing last night from him was not an act, in my estimation, not by a longshot. He wants a Mayweather fight with the desperation of a man who still feels like he's at the top of his game, but who knows that time is not on his side, and who is forced to watch and wait in the meantime with a gut-wrenching sense that the sport he was once ruled is quickly passing him by, and that he may never again get his just opportunity to prove his greatness in the ring against these two fighters who are now deemed to be the best pound-for-pound best in the world, and against history, where he genuinely yearns to etch his name for all time.

He made a convincing case. Like I said, if he was acting… he's a hell of an actor. Here's Mosley in his own words from after the Mayweather/Marquez presser:

On the incident in the ring with Kellerman and Floyd:
"Max Kellerman called me over and said there's another guy in your division, Shane Mosley. And I just went over there and said, well, this is true, I'm the real welterweight champion, so let's get this on. The fans want to see the best fighters fight."

"I'm just in the ring as a promoter, and I didn't say nothing, didn't say nothing at the press conference. I let him speak. I didn't say anything."

"I had no idea that was going to happen. It just happened that way. Max Kellerman called me over and I been wanting to say this, I been saying it forever but no one's been writing it. But now the world got a chance to see it, so you guys have to write it. You have to."

On the Mayweather/Marquez fight:
"Mayweather chose Marquez. There were two options out there for him, Mosley or Marquez. Which one do you want? I want Marquez. Why? You tell me."

"I just wasn't impressed with the whole fight. If you noticed, I wasn't at any of the weigh-ins or events. I just didn't agree with this fight. Marquez is a great fighter, he's a world-class fighter, heart, courage, everything. But it's just not the right fight."

ME: "Did you not agree with Oscar/Pacquiao?"
SHANE: "Did I not agree with Oscar/Pacquiao?"
ME: "Well, you say you don't agree with Mayweather/Marquez, so did you not agree with Oscar/Pacquiao?"
SHANE "Not really. I really didn't pay attention to it. But Pacquiao's the guy who wanted Oscar. Mayweather chose Marquez."
ME: "Marquez called him out."
SHANE: "Yeah, he called him out, but... I called him out too."
ME: "So you don't think Floyd has a point at all when he says that it's okay if Oscar fights Pacquiao, but when I fight Marquez it's a complete joke."
SHANE: "No it's okay, it's okay for him to fight Marquez. But when you have two guys calling you out, you have the welterweight champion and the lightweight champion calling you out and you go on ESPN and you say, oh I want to go steal some money, and then you writers agree with this and let this happen, well, yeah, I have a problem with that."

On fighting Mayweather:
"I'm hoping that the best will fight the best. That's what the sport of boxing needs. I'm the number one welterweight champion right now. Nobody can dispute that. I'm the type who wants to fight everybody. I'm tired of people thinking Floyd's the best, or Pacquiao's the best.

"Floyd has a big ego. If you want to be the best, if you want to be considered the best, you can't just say, oh I'm the best and have the crowd say oh yeah sure Floyd you're the best. You have to get in there and prove it. He knows that, he knows it in his heart, that he has to come in the ring and fight me to be the best. Now when he actually does that, that's the difference. Maybe he's trying to wait until I'm 40 years old, I don't know."

"There's enough money in the pot for everybody to make this fight. I want the fans to know who the real champion is. I'm the real champion. I'm the pound-for-pound best."

"We'd match equally in speed. I have more power than him. I'm more aggressive, I want to fight, he wants to box a little more. He can definitely fight, he's a great fighter. I like his style, I like what he does. He's very sharp, fast, he has all the abilities. It's the making of the next Sugar Ray Leonard/Tommy Hearns type of fight. This is the type of fight this is. This is what the fans, what the world wants to see. This is the fight that will save boxing."

"My fight is not finalized with Berto. I like Berto and I would definitely fight him regardless. But if this big fight takes place, if Floyd says yes he wants to fight me, then I'm gonna fight Mayweather. And then I'll turn around and fight Berto after that. And I'll fight Joshua Clottey after that. And I'll fight Cotto after that. I will continue to fight all the fighters until y'all know beyond the shadow or a doubt that I'm the best fighter in this era."

On people ducking him:
"I feel great. At 38 years old, I feel great. And people are afraid of me. People know that I can fight. I have hitting power. I have the type of stuff to beat these guys and they know it."

"People still want to avoid me. And if the reporters let this happen, maybe Floyd will go ahead and avoid me again and fight Pacquiao, who is smaller than him too."

"When I was doing my thing, I fought the Vernon Forrests, I fought the Winky Wrights, I fought all the people I shouldn't even have fought. I could have danced around and fought anybody. But I don't have no regrets. I'm happy that it happened."

"I give Margarito a lot of credit, because he got in the ring and fought me. And he didn't have to fight me. But he fought me. And he fought like a warrior, he fought to the end. He got knocked out but he fought to the end. I give him a lot of credit for that. He's a throwback fighter."

On whether his long layoff is affecting him negatively:
"No. It just makes me angrier, gets me more upset, makes me train harder. You see me right now. I'm ready to go. All these guys are doing are just buying time for me to get better and better and better."

"I'm happy with Mayweather making all his money. When Oscar was making all his money, I was happy for him. That's fine with me. But my goal since I was eight, ten years old, was to be the best in this era. I watched Sugar Ray Leonard, Muhammad Ali. This is my era and I want people to know that. And that's why I'm not going nowhere. I'm not gonna retire, I'm not going anywhere until y'all know who the best is. And y'all SAY it. Pound for pound again. I'm not going nowhere."

"Everybody want to talk about the money thing. It's never a money thing with me when I get in there and fight these guys. It's never been a money issue with me. I don't fight for money. I mean, I want money, for my kids and everything. I like money. But that's not the main engine that drives me. From day one. I was doing my thing, I was 23-0 with 22 knockouts and barely made $7,000 for my fight until I fought for a world title, and I did fight for a world title I made $45,000. So yeah, I am willing to wait to have my moment to shine, to be the best and to be considered the best. Money comes with that. Money comes along with it."

... Manny should stick to 140 after Cotto. Manny's too small and Floyd will out-box him for 12 rds.
I pray to the almighty he doesn't think about fighting Money...!@%$ scary as hell watching it last night. he'll get served
laugh.gif

but what's he going to do though win or lose after that Cotto fight? IF he wins that Cotto fight everyone will push for Money...if he loses then what?He's gonna try to clean up the 140ers? If he doesnt take the Mayweather fight he'll get accused of ducking opponents...oh well.

Did anyone see ESPN First Take this morning?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Skip and Jemele don't know anything about boxing( Or sports in general) but it was really sadtoday.

Back to basics in here just some little tidbits:

10. John Ruiz (43-8-1)

Ruiz, the mandatory challenger for Valuev, has accepted a deal to step aside and allow Valuev-Haye to take place. The agreement, which is not yet signed, gives Ruiz a spot on the undercard and the next fight with the Valuev-Haye winner.
Next: Nov. 7 vs. TBA.

sick.gif

1. Tomasz Adamek (38-1)

The champ appeared at a press conference in Poland to announce an October fight at heavyweight with countryman Andrew Golota, but if a match with Bernard Hopkins is agreed to for Jan. 30, Adamek co-promoter Main Events said, the Golota fight will not happen. So let's wait and see how it shakes out.
Next: TBA.

sick.gif
sick.gif

2. Steve Cunningham (22-2)

Mandatory challenger Cunningham, who has dumped promoter Don King and plans to work with Main Events, will fight for a belt in early 2010. The question is only, will he challenge Adamek in a rematch or fight for a vacant title?

1. Bernard Hopkins (49-5-1)

Hopkins has thought for weeks that he'd been fighting on Jan. 30 on HBO in conjunction with his 45th birthday. That was until HBO bounced him from the date while trying to slot Shane Mosley there for a potential fight with Andre Berto. Hopkins, of course, is extremely upset that HBO went back on its word. This could get a bit ugly.

1. Kelly Pavlik (35-1)

Everyone associated with the Pavlik-Paul Williams championship fight, which was originally scheduled for Oct. 3, is working under the impression that Pavlik's healing staph infection will be better shortly and that Pavlik will be medically cleared to resume training in early October.
Next: TBA vs. Williams.

3. Sergio Martinez (44-1-2)

A Sept. 26 defense in the works for Martinez in his home country of Spain has been called off, and now Martinez's schedule is very much up in the air.

5. Verno Phillips (42-12-1)

The gritty former titleholder has been on the shelf since his November loss to Williams and unhappy with promoter Artie Pelullo. However, with the contract up, Phillips will return to headline a Versus card against former welterweight titlist Carlos Quintana.
Next: Dec. 3 vs. Quintana.

7. Kermit Cintron (31-2-1)

Although Cintron has fought most recently at junior middleweight, the former welterweight titlist plans to return to welterweight for a fight in his native Puerto Rico, according to manager Josh Dubin.
Next: Oct. 24 vs. TBA.

1. Sugar Shane Mosley (46-5)

Mosley, one of the best fighters in the world and coming off a sensational knockout win against Antonio Margarito in January, has been utterly disrespected by HBO, which has moved him all over the calendar and flip-flopped by accepting a good fight between Mosley and Joshua Clottey and then deciding it would only take a fight between Mosley and fellow titleholder Andre Berto. That logic makes no sense.

3. Joshua Clottey (35-3)

Clottey had agreed to a deal to face Mosley on Dec. 26, but then HBO changed its mind and turned it down. To make up for the decision, HBO has agreed to pay for a Clottey fight on the undercard of the Kelly Pavlik-Paul Williams fight, which likely will be rescheduled for Dec. 5.

4. Andre Berto (25-0)

Promoter Lou DiBella can either sit Berto until Jan. 30 for an HBO fight with Mosley (for which Berto is a big underdog), or he can take a two-fight deal (beginning with a unification bout this year against Isaac Hlatshwayo) for easier fights and more money at Showtime. You do the math.

5. Luis Collazo (30-4)

Collazo is in a mandatory position for a rematch with Berto, but with Berto possibly unifying titles, it means Collazo could wind up fighting for an interim strap against Selcuk Aydin.

2. Timothy Bradley Jr. (24-0)

After working out the split of promoter Gary Shaw's winning $575,000 purse bid in Bradley's favor, he has agreed to make his mandatory defense against interim titlist Lamont Peterson in a fight that will headline a Showtime card. The original date of Dec. 5, however, has been bumped by one week for a variety or reasons.
Next: Dec. 12 vs. Peterson.

4. Kendall Holt (25-3)

Coming off a decision loss to Bradley in April, former titlist Holt could return to face interim beltholder Marcos Maidana on the undercard of HBO's Lucian Bute-Librado Andrade II on Nov. 28 in Quebec City. If the fight happens, can't you see both guys getting knocked down in a competitive fight?

8. Marco Maidana (26-1)

In a terrific June 27 slugfest, Maidana survived three knockdowns and scored two to rally for a TKO of red-hot prospect Victor Ortiz to win an interim belt. It was a great fight, so it's understandable why HBO would want Maidana back on, which might happen on Nov. 28. Holt, Alexander, Nate Campbell and Anthony Peterson have all been mentioned as possible opponents.

9. Paulie Malignaggi (26-3)

All through the promotion, Malignaggi talked about how worried he was that he would be screwed by the judges in Texas when he faced Houston's Juan Diaz on Aug. 22. Sure enough, Malignaggi was robbed in a hometown decision. Shame, shame, shame, especially on judge Gale Van Hoy, who needs to be sent out to pasture after his woeful 118-110 scorecard favoring Diaz. HBO is interested in a rematch for early 2010.

3. Joan Guzman (29-0).

The chronically inactive Guzman is due to face Ali Funeka for a vacant belt. We won't know when and where the fight will take place until after a Sept. 15 purse bid.
Next: TBA vs. Funeka.

4. Joel Casamayor (36-4-1)

The former champ is back in the gym training now that he has recovered from the bad back that forced him to pull out of an April 4 fight against former titlist Julio Diaz. Talks for a fall fight with Edwin Valero have fizzled.

5. Edwin Valero (25-0)

Top Rank wanted Valero to defend his belt against junior lightweight titlist Humberto Soto on the Nov. 14 Miguel Cotto-Manny Pacquiao undercard, but it doesn't look like that is going to work out, which is a cryin' shame.

A roundup of the past week's notable boxing results from around the world:

[table][tr][th=""]
Saturday at Las Vegas
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]
Welterweight
Floyd Mayweather Jr. W12 Juan Manuel Marquez
Scores: 120-107, 119-108, 118-109
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Mayweather, 40-0, 25 KOs; Marquez 50-5-1, 37 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: So after 21 months in a retirement that few believed would last, "Money" Mayweather returned to the ring, in part because he needed the money to satisfy IRS issues and other debts. That was but one of the many outside-the-ring issues that have surrounded Mayweather. But inside the ring, none of it matters, because that's where Mayweather is most comfortable. There were no signs of distraction as he battered Marquez in a superb performance that lacked only a knockout. It should have been a shutout on all three official scorecards. Judge Bert Clements had it that way. Judges William Lerch (118-109) and Dave Moretti (119-108) perhaps threw Marquez mercy rounds. The fight was all Mayweather, all the time, including a knockdown on a flush left hook that Marquez never saw in the second round.

Mayweather, a former five-division champion who was boxing's pound-for-pound No. 1 before abdicating his perch by retiring, claimed after the fight that he was a little rusty. But he didn't look it, even though he had been out of the ring since a December 2007 10th-round knockout of Ricky Hatton. In fact, Mayweather didn't look like he had been out of action for a week, much less almost two years. He was fast, sharp, accurate with his punches and rarely got hit by Marquez. The CompuBox punch statistics were shocking in their overwhelmingly pro-Mayweather nature. While Marquez landed just 69 blows the entire fight (including no rounds in double digits), Mayweather pasted him as he landed an alarming 59 percent of his shots (290 of 493). His jab was especially deadly and was probably the reason for Marquez's bloody nose.

It's not like Mayweather, 32, did this to some pitiful pug. Marquez, 36, was almost universally regarded as the No. 2 fighter in the world on the various pound-for-pound lists before the fight. He's a three-division champion and reigning lightweight champion with a long track record against top opponents. He had never been remotely dominated in a fight and essentially had gone even-up with Manny Pacquiao in two sensational fights -- a disputed draw and a more heavily disputed one-point split-decision loss. Yet against Mayweather, Marquez could do absolutely nothing. It sure makes you wonder whether Mayweather could be that dominant if the day comes when we see the biggest fight possible in the sport: Mayweather against Pacquiao (if Pacquiao defeats Miguel Cotto on Nov. 14, which is no guarantee at all).

For all of Mayweather's dominance, however, the size disparity in the fight can't be overlooked. It was stark. Although Mayweather fought as a junior lightweight and lightweight earlier in his career, he has steadily moved up in weight, becoming a full-fledged welterweight in 2005. Mayweather even beat Oscar De La Hoya to win a junior middleweight title. Marquez, however, is a career featherweight with only five fights at junior lightweight (three) and lightweight (two). He jumped up two weight divisions to face Mayweather and didn't carry the extra weight well. He weighed in at 142 pounds, two lighter than the 144-pound contract maximum. Mayweather, meanwhile, ignored the 144-pound contract weight, coming in at 146. He was due to pay a $600,000 penalty to Marquez for the extra two pounds, but because Mayweather didn't have to suck down to make weight, it simply added to his already overwhelming advantages.

We all know about Mayweather's incredible skills, which were all on display Saturday. But we want to see him use them against fighters proven in his own weight division. Pacquiao, with his devastation of De La Hoya and far easier knockout of Hatton than Mayweather's, is the obvious money fight and the match to determine who really is No. 1 pound-for-pound. There is also Cotto, if he defeats Pacquiao. And don't forget about Shane Mosley, the reigning welterweight champ, who bumrushed Mayweather's interview with HBO's Max Kellerman in the ring after the fight to call out Mayweather. Mayweather is blessed with several quality opponents for fights that fans and media want to see. He got his comeback fight out of the way against a talented but smaller man. It went the way many thought it would go. Now, it's time for Mayweather to finally take on the best in his own division.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Featherweight
Chris John W12 Rocky Juarez
Retains a featherweight title
Scores: 119-109, 117-111, 114-113
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: John, 43-0-2, 22 KOs; Juarez, 28-5-1, 20 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: When John and Juarez met in February in Houston (Juarez's hometown), Juarez received a gift draw in a fight he should have lost. It looked like John had built a big early lead and that Juarez, who did come on strong down the stretch, would need multiple knockdowns to catch up on the cards. In the end, it was ruled a draw and a rematch was put together. It was supposed to take place this past summer, but Indonesia's John became ill, forcing the bout to be postponed. It wasn't worth the wait. After a very exciting first fight, the second bout was something of a dud. John boxed very well and appeared to put together another big lead in a fight far less action-packed than the first encounter. Juarez didn't look like he had much of a game plan. He simply followed the quicker John around the ring, tried to pressure him and often threw only one punch at a time. Juarez appeared a bit desperate in the 12th round and finally went after John, staggering him with a hard left hook in the final minute of the fight. John was ready to go and was trying to hold on for dear life, but Juarez couldn't come up with another big shot to drop John, who made it to the final bell in a fight he dedicated to the late Arturo Gatti. If the round were maybe 10 seconds longer, Juarez might have scored a knockout -- that's how bad off John was in the waning seconds. But that's the story of Juarez's career: He just can't get over the hump, and it doesn't look like he ever will. This was his sixth unsuccessful shot at a world title. Isn't enough enough? He has lost three junior lightweight title bouts, twice to Marco Antonio Barrera and once to Juan Manuel Marquez. And in featherweight title fights, Juarez, a 2004 U.S. Olympic silver medalist, is 0-2-1, having lost to Humberto Soto and John, and drawn with John the first time around. At this point, Juarez, 29, has become a solid opponent with a good name. John, 30, meanwhile, rolls on having made 12 title defenses.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Lightweight
Michael Katsidis W12 Vicente Escobedo
Wins a vacant interim lightweight title
Scores: 118-110, 115-113 Katsidis, 116-112 Escobedo
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Katsidis, 26-2, 21 KOs; Escobedo, 21-2, 13 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Expected to be a competitive slugfest, it was indeed a slugfest, but not all that competitive -- despite the lunacy of judge Mike Fitzgerald's scorecard favoring Escobedo. Nonetheless, it was an entertaining bout featuring a pair of fighters with big hearts and never-say-die attitudes. Katsidis, 29, of Australia, suffered a cut over his left eye from an accidental head-butt in the first round (shocking that Katsidis would bleed in a fight, right?). Still, he applied his typical relentless pressure throughout the grueling fight. Escobedo, 27, a 2004 U.S. Olympian, just didn't appear as physically strong or in as good condition as Katsidis. Katsidis bullied him, marked up his face and forced him to retreat. Escobedo saw his 12-fight winning streak come to an end, while Katsidis breathed new life into his career by claiming an interim title for the second time. He won his third in a row following back-to-back losses in rousing battles against Joel Casamayor and Juan Diaz last year. He is now a mandatory challenger for Juan Manuel Marquez, who despite losing to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the main event, remains the lightweight world champion. When Marquez returns from the beating he took from Mayweather, a fight with Katsidis could be fun.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Featherweight
Cornelius Lock TKO5 Orlando Cruz
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Lock, 19-4-1, 12 KOs; Cruz, 16-1-1, 7 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Cruz, 28, of Puerto Rico was coming off an impressive fifth-round knockout of Leonilo Miranda, who had an imposing 30-0 record with 28 knockouts heading into their January fight. But Cruz could not keep his momentum going as he was taken apart by Detroit's Lock, 30, who is part of the Floyd Mayweather camp. In his last fight in July, Lock lost a lopsided decision to Antonio Escalante in a "Friday Night Fights" main event. He took a lot of punishment in the bout, but rebounded in this pay-per-view opener to hammer Cruz with no apparent ill effects from the Escalante beating. Lock put his punches together well, hurting Cruz in the first round with a right hand and then dropping him with a left. In the fifth, a big right hook to the chin knocked Cruz down. Although he was up by eight, he was shaky and referee Robert Byrd appropriately called it off. Very nice rebound victory for Lock, who can fight a bit despite his inconsistencies.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Junior middleweight
Erislandy Lara KO1 Jose Varela
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Lara, 8-0, 5 KOs; Varela, 23-7, 16 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: In the final fight before the pay-per-view coverage began, Lara, 26, looked good blowing out Varela. Lara, a 2005 world amateur champion and Cuban defector, is one of the top prospects in boxing. Part of the recent influx of Cuban amateur stars into the pro ranks after a series of defections, Lara could turn out to be the best of the bunch -- although there are others such as Guillermo Rigondeaux and Yuriorkis Gamboa who are sensational. Lara has speed and power and appears hungry to excel. Varela stood no chance despite the disparity in their records. The fight ended when Lara, a southpaw, detonated a straight left hand on Varela's chin late in the first round, sending him to the canvas. Varela had no particular interest in continuing and was shaking his head "no" during a halfhearted attempt to get to his feet. He didn't. Fight over. Lara moves on.
[/td] [/tr][/table] [table][tr][th=""]
Saturday at Neubrandenburg, Germany
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]
Middleweight
Sebastian Sylvester W12 Giovanni Lorenzo
Wins a vacant middleweight title
Scores: 116-112, 115-113 Sylvester, 116-111 Lorenzo
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Sylvester, 32-3, 15 KOs; Lorenzo, 27-2, 19 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: After middleweight titleholder Arthur Abraham relinquished his belt a few months ago in order to move up to super middleweight to participate in Showtime's Super Six tournament, fellow Sauerland Event-promoted boxer Sylvester was ordered to face New York-based Dominican Lorenzo for the vacant belt. Sylvester, 29, of Germany, had lost his previous title shot when he dropped a lopsided decision to titleholder Felix Sturm in November. But Sylvester rebounded to win two fights in a row to set himself up for the vacant-title bout. Lorenzo had some early success, but Sylvester, who suffered a cut on his forehead from an accidental head-butt in the first round, used a disciplined game plan and good technical skills to claim the tactical fight, which should have been a unanimous decision, not a split decision. Lorenzo, 28, lost for the second time in three fights, with his other defeat also coming on points in June 2008 when he was upset by faded former junior middleweight titlist Raul Marquez in a title eliminator.
Friday at Miami Beach, Fla.
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]
Junior featherweight
Guillermo Rigondeaux TKO3 Giovanni Andrade
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Rigondeaux, 3-0, 3 KOs; Andrade, 51-12, 41 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Rigondeaux, 28, was one of the all-time great amateurs. The Cuban defector won Olympic gold medals in 2000 and 2004 and surely would have been the favorite to win another gold in 2008 had he not been booted off the Cuban national team for attempting to defect in 2007. He finally did defect earlier this year. Now working with superstar trainer Freddie Roach, Rigondeaux was scheduled for a 10-rounder in only his third professional bout. His handlers are going to move him fast, and there's no reason they shouldn't. At his age and with his extensive amateur experience, don't be surprised if he is fighting for a world title inside of 10 fights. Andrade, 39, of Brazil, stood no chance despite the massive difference in pro experience. In the second round, Andrade took a knee without being hit just to get away from the fast southpaw. Rigondeaux worked Andrade's thin midsection extremely well. In the third round, Rigondeaux landed a strong body shot that sent Andrade to a knee wincing in pain. He beat the count but quit before the fight could resume, ending his five-fight winning streak. It came as no surprise. Andrade, who has lost to top opponents such as Juan Manuel Lopez, Rey Bautista, Johnny Tapia, Celestino Caballero, Martin Honorio and Wladimir Sidorenko, had quit in several previous fights.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Light heavyweight
Yordanis Despaigne TKO1 Mickey Scarborough
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Despaigne, 3-0, 2 KOs; Scarborough, 4-1, 4 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Cuba's Despaigne, 29, a defector who lost to American Andre Dirrell in the quarterfinals in the 2004 Olympics, smashed Scarborough, 32, of Kansas City, Mo. This one was target practice for Despaigne. He hurt Scarborough with a right hand, which drove him into the ropes. Despiagne didn't let up, raining blows on Scarborough, who was covering up on the ropes until referee Frank Santore called off the carnage at 1:41.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Junior middleweight
Yudel Johnson W8 Frankie Santos
Scores: 79-73 (twice), 77-74
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Johnson, 3-0, 1 KO; Santos 17-8-4, 8 KO
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Johnson, 28, won an Olympic silver medal for Cuba at the 2004 Athens Games before eventually defecting earlier this year with teammates Guillermo Rigondeaux and Yordanis Despiagne. He easily outpointed Puerto Rico's Santos, 30, who dropped to 3-8-2 in his last 13. Johnson had too much of everything for Santos, a very experienced opponent -- he has faced the likes of Francisco Bojado, Lamont Peterson and Matthew Hatton -- for a fighter in only his third pro bout.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Welterweight
Felix Diaz TKO1 Omar Brown
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Diaz, 2-0, 2 KOs; Brown, 1-3, 0 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: In a sick mismatch, the Dominican Republic's Diaz, 25, who won an Olympic gold medal at the 2008 Beijing Games, destroyed no-hoper Brown, 32, who took the fight on four days' notice. Brown had only a few amateur fights while Diaz had around 250, making Brown human roadkill in this one. Diaz, a southpaw, knocked Brown into the ropes with a flurry, triggering a standing eight count from referee Frank Santore only 30 seconds into the fight. Then came a second knockdown. After a third knockdown from a nasty uppercut, Santore called it off without a count after just 88 seconds of Diaz dominance.
Friday at Santa Yanez, Calif.
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]
Heavyweight
Tony Grano KO4 Travis Kauffman
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Grano, 16-1-1, 13 KOs; Kauffman, 18-1, 15 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Kauffman, 24, of Reading, Pa., had a solid amateur career, was being groomed as a possible contender and had hooked up with powerful manager Al Haymon. But his glossy record had been built against woeful competition. Grano, a tough 28-year-old from Hartford, Conn., with limited skills, exposed him in the "ShoBox" main event. Kauffman was winning the competitive bout through the third round before it turned wild. In the fourth, Kauffman picked up the pace and began to go more on the offensive. He hurt Grano with a pair of right hands and seemed to have him in some trouble. That's when Grano, who is trained by former light heavyweight titlist Lou Del Valle, hit Kauffman low. There was a brief delay while Kauffman recovered, but the time also helped Grano get himself together. Moments later, a tiring Grano spit out his mouthpiece and was warned by the referee. But the additional seconds to replace his bit certainly helped, because Grano came alive when the fight resumed. He unloaded on Kauffman, battering him around the ring with a two-fisted attack that finally sent him to the canvas for the 10-count under an avalanche of punches. Given Kauffman's powerful connections and the fact that Grano was perhaps aided by throwing a low blow and spitting out his mouthpiece, don't be surprised if there's a rematch. Kauffman wants one. Grano celebrated his upset victory by showing up at the Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Juan Manuel Marquez fight the next night in Las Vegas and introducing himself in the media center, clearly very proud of his entertaining knockout victory.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Bantamweight
Chris Avalos KO4 Giovanni Caro
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Avalos, 12-0, 10 KOs; Caro, 13-8-4, 11 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: What a terrific fight. The "ShoBox" opener was a thoroughly entertaining slugfest from start to explosive finish as Avalos, just 19, showed grit and determination for such an inexperienced young fighter. The Lancaster, Calif., resident and Mexico's Caro, 26, went at it toe-to-toe from the opening bell. Although Caro's record isn't very good, he has loads of experience against good opponents. It was a calculated risk by Avalos promoter Gary Shaw to match him this tough at such an early stage of his career, and it worked out well. Caro had Avalos, who had been ill during the week with flu-like symptoms, in a little bit of trouble in the third round, but Avalos worked through it. In the fourth round, Avalos hurt Caro with a right hand and moments later flattened him with a flush sweeping right hand to the chin for a spectacular knockout. A great fight and an excellent learning experience for an exciting prospect.
[/td] [/tr][/table]

MIAMI -- Former welterweight and super-welterweight world champion Ricardo Mayorga will venture into mixed martial arts.

In a news conference Monday, Mayorga said he anticipates his first MMA fight early next year. Mayorga, of Nicaragua, currently is in a legal dispute with promoter Don King and seeks a release from his boxing contract for an opportunity at an MMA career.

"I am a fighter by nature, I learned to fight on the streets of Nicaragua before I learned to box," Mayorga said. "For many years, I have wanted to try MMA. Now I hope to get my opportunity."

Still, Mayorga, 35, will need a crash course if he is to make an impact in a sport which has expanded its fan base the past five years.

As with previous boxers who have tried the move to MMA, including ex-heavyweight champion Ray Mercer, the toughest adjustment is fighting an opponent while on the ground.

"I have had a few training sessions and once I get the approval that I can start doing MMA, I will learn even more quickly," Mayorga said. "I consider it easier than boxing in that you can use your legs to kick your opponent. The idea of using smaller gloves also has me very anxious to try it.

"Boxing has many more rules."

Mayorga said he has not retired from boxing. In addition to pursuing his MMA aspirations, Mayorga would like to box again once he settles his legal dispute with King. Mayorga's last fight was a 12th-round knockout loss against Shane Mosley in September 2008.

Mayorga, whose boxing record is 28-7-1 and 22 KOs, won the World Boxing Council welterweight title with a third-round technical knockout over Vernon Forrest in 2003 and lost the belt against Cory Spinks in a title unification fight the following year.

In 2005, Mayorga defeated Michelle Piccirillo for the vacant WBC super-welterweight belt but lost the title in his first defense against Oscar De La Hoya.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

There has been a lot of talk about the post-fight incident between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Shane Mosley. After Mayweather's win over Juan Manuel Marquez last Saturday in Las Vegas, Mosley entered the ring and had a war of words with Mayweather on the live HBO pay-per-view broadcast.

Speaking with BoxingScene.com's Ernest Gabion and Luis Sandoval, Mosley said that in order to be considered as the best, Mayweather needs to accept his challenge.

"Floyd has a big ego. If he wants to be the best, to be considered the best. You can't just say 'oh, I'm the best,' and then have the crowd and the reporters say 'you're the best.' You have to get in there and prove it. He knows in his heart that he has to come in the ring and fight me to be the best. When he does it is a different story. Maybe he's trying to wait until I'm 40 years old, I don't know," Mosley said.

He doesn't stay quiet about Mayweather's decision to fight a much smaller man in Marquez. He said Mayweather was given two options for his return - Mosley or Marquez. Mayweather made a decision to go with Marquez. Mosley was not impressed with Mayweather's win over a much smaller man.

"Mayweather chose to fight Marquez. There were two options out there. There was Mosley and Marquez. He chose Marquez. [He was asked] 'which one do you want?' [He said] 'I want Marquez.' Why? You tell me," Mosley said.

"I wasn't impressed with the whole fight. I didn't agree with this fight. Marquez is a great fighter. He is a world class fighter. He showed a lot of heart. I just didn't agree with the fight. It's not the right fight. When you have the welterweight champ and the lightweight champ calling you out, and you go on ESPN and say I want to steal some money [by fighting Marquez] and the writers agree with this and let this happen, then yeah I have a problem with that."

wasn't this bum Mosley just calling out Pacman?

who is a small fighter himself?

and i love how Floyd is a Golden Boy fighter but the major heads all hate him
laugh.gif

Didn't see these posted and aren't my .gifs but are very impressive
23vl4iv.jpg

ws6py.jpg

aonvv8.jpg

33or439.jpg

br>
Originally Posted by chris boshs neck

no one wants to watch shane fight mayweather, the money is in mayweather pacman

I'd love to watch PBF vs Shane but the money is with Manny. PBF has to fight either of these 2 guys.

Originally Posted by KingJames23

Didn't see these posted and aren't my .gifs but are very impressive
23vl4iv.jpg

eek.gif

I saw something that said 'PBF is undoubtedly the world's finest Boxer, but Manny Pacquiao is the p4p best Fighter'....thats kind of how I see thepbf-pacman arguement right now

that... counter friggin right hand... Been practicing that forever at the gym and can't ever get it right
laugh.gif
smh.gif
Same counter right hand he used to KO Philip Ndou

Back
Top Bottom