09 Real Deal College Football Discussion/No Homers - Lets geh geh GET IT!

[h2]Tebow, Spikes were underrated[/h2][h3]Looking back at the hits, misses and surprises from the Class of 2006[/h3]

Comment http://insider.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/insider/news/story?id=4863973#/sendtofriend.espn.go.com/sendtofriend/SendToFriend?URL=http://insider.espn.go.com/ncaa/rec...hits and misses from the 2006 clas&id=4863973">http://sendtofriend.espn....06 clas...le,noscrollbars,width=400,height=500');return false;">Email Print http:///a.espncdn.com/icons/share-icon-12x12.png)">http://a.espncdn.com/icons/share-icon-12x12.png) no-repeat scroll left top; -moz-background-clip: border; -moz-background-origin: padding; -moz-background-inline-policy: continuous;" rel="nofollow">Share
By Scouts Inc.
ESPN.com
Archive

The Class of 2006 was Scouts Inc.'s first foray into recruitingrankings. Like any other evolving enterprise, we have fine-tuned theranking process over the years. Still, many themes we discovered inthat first year have been just as evident in each successive class.This class, just like any other class, proves one thing: Recruitingrankings on paper are always attractive. The reality is that noteveryone is going to pan out. There are too many unknown variables tobe right on every guy.

Led by top-ranked quarterback Matt Stafford,the 2006 class was very strong on QBs -- a couple of guys named Tebowand Bradford serve as further evidence of that fact. That's not to saythere weren't some busts among QBs. Mitch Mustain, the No. 2-rated prospect at the position, doesn't look as if he'll pan out.

On the defensive side of the ball, the strength of this class was at linebacker. At that position, prospects such as Sergio Kindle and Brandon Spikes developed into some of the nation's most feared defenders. Conversely, with the exception of Oklahoma recruit Gerald McCoy, this class was very thin at defensive tackle.

Fouryears later, here's a look at our greatest hits, biggest misses andplayers who surprised us some in the 2006 class. These lists are brokendown into groups of six (it was the Class of '06 after all), and theyare in alphabetical order.
[h3]Biggest busts[/h3]
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/insider/news/story?id=4863973#/sports.espn.go.com/espn/gallery/enlargePhoto?id=4863837&story=4863973">http://sports.espn.go.com...863837&...idth=440,height=750,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;">[+] Enlarge
recruit_u_mustain01_200.jpg

John Reed/US PresswireMitch Mustain left Arkansas for USC after just one season.

James Aldridge, RB, Notre Dame
Aldridge was a workhorse at the high school level, rushing for 2,000yards as a senior. For his career in South Bend, he fell short of the1,000-yard mark.

Ricky Dixon, WR, LSU
Dixon played quarterback in high school and has struggled to make thetransition to wideout. He had only two catches in two seasons at LSUbefore opting to transfer.

Richard Jackson, WR, Notre Dame
With Jeff Samardzija there before him and Golden Tate coming in theyear after him, Jackson was competing with some talented colleagues.Still, he never lived up to what his talent suggested he would become.

Vincent Joseph, CB, USC
When you hit as often as Pete Carroll did at USC, a coach can affordsome misses. Joseph, who spent only two years at USC, was one of thisprogram's rare oversights in the talent evaluation.

Mitch Mustain, QB, Arkansas
It's been a long time since Mustain has thrown a pass in a significantsituation. He's now USC's backup, and one has to wonder whether hewould have been better off staying at Arkansas.

Antwine Perez, S, USC
Perez and Taylor Mays were supposed to form an all-world safety tandemat USC, but things didn't exactly pan out. Perez spent only one seasonat USC before transferring to Maryland.
[h3]Players who met expectations[/h3]
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/insider/news/story?id=4863973#/sports.espn.go.com/espn/gallery/enlargePhoto?id=4863870&story=4863973">http://sports.espn.go.com...863870&...idth=440,height=750,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;">[+] Enlarge
rec_g_natedavis_200.jpg

Gregory Shamus/Getty ImagesNate Davis wasn't a big name, but he put up big stats at Ball State.

Jermaine Cunningham, DE, Florida
These past four years, Florida's defense was among the nation's finest.A two-time All-SEC selection, Cunningham is a big reason why.

Nate Davis, QB, Ball State
After signing with a non-BCS conference school, Davis flew below theradar to many college football fans. His career at Ball State, however,justifies his ranking as the No. 29 QB in this class.

Richard Dickson, TE, LSU
Although Ricky Dixon didn't live up to the billing, Richard Dicksondid. The mammoth tight end might be the finest player at that positionin LSU history.

Darryl Gamble, S, Georgia
We knew he was going to be a defensive playmaker, but we didn't know hewould bulk up to 250-plus pounds. Now at linebacker, Gamble hasdeveloped into one of UGA's top defenders.

Jake Locker, QB, Washington
Rated as the No. 5 QB in this class, Locker has proved he is more thanan athlete playing quarterback. The best likely is still to come forLocker who could be the top pick in the 2011 NFL draft.

Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State
Wells, of course, was a fine player -- and we thought he would be,rating him No. 30 overall. Still, with C.J. Spiller, Knowshon Morenoand others in this class, he was hardly peerless at the running backposition.
[h3]Players who exceeded expectations[/h3]
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/insider/news/story?id=4863973#/sports.espn.go.com/espn/gallery/enlargePhoto?id=4863816&story=4863973">http://sports.espn.go.com...863816&...idth=440,height=750,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;">[+] Enlarge
rec_g_maclin_200.jpg

G. Newman Lowrance/Getty ImagesJeremy Maclin might have been the Big 12's most electric player.

Javier Arenas, CB, Alabama
An excellent corner prospect who took time to blossom on defense,Arenas made an immediate impact on special teams. His return skillsalone probably deserved a top-150 ranking.

Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
There might not have been a better red zone target in college footballthan Gresham, who was rated No. 111 in this class. He had 26 touchdowncatches in just three seasons with Oklahoma.

Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri
Maclin's rail-thin frame and overall strength were a concern coming outof high school. His tremendous production and playmaking abilityclearly overshadowed any deficiencies.

Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida
Spikes is probably the best player in this loaded linebacker class. Hewas the anchor of the Gators' championship-winning defense in 2008.

C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson
Spiller, our No. 47-ranked prospect, did the Speed State (Florida)proud at Clemson. Few players could beat the opposition in as manyways.

Tim Tebow, QB, Florida
We knew Tebow was good -- ranking him as the No. 4 QB and No. 15 playerin the class -- but not how good. Obviously, Tebow probably was the topplayer in this entire class.

Tom Luginbill, Craig Haubert and Billy Tuckers contributed to this story.

Rolle is on PTI right now. Even though he's a Nole he's one of my favorite players.

Much respect for what he did as a real student-athlete.

Looks like Oregon has pulled their offer on defensive end Gabe King...I guess Oregon didn't wanna risk a violation because King transferred from a HS in NC to a school in Eugene....looks like Cal will land him...defensive class is shaping up nicee

Originally Posted by WhUtIzIt

Looks like Oregon has pulled their offer on defensive end Gabe King...I guess Oregon didn't wanna risk a violation because King transferred from a HS in NC to a school in Eugene....looks like Cal will land him...defensive class is shaping up nicee

Yo... Michigan sent 5 coaches today to do the in home with Demar Dorsey. They want this cat BAAAAAD. Can't knock their hustle even tho it is looking like he will be a Nole.

I love hearing about coaches on the road this time of year. Those silly bastards are all over the place for 18 year olds. I love it.

Originally Posted by Newbs24

Yo... Michigan sent 5 coaches today to do the in home with Demar Dorsey. They want this cat BAAAAAD. Can't knock their hustle even tho it is looking like he will be a Nole.

I love hearing about coaches on the road this time of year. Those silly bastards are all over the place for 18 year olds. I love it.
I was just about to post this.
laugh.gif

Rich Rod doesn't play when it comes to recruiting down the stretch.
pimp.gif

He is Denard Robinson's cousin...
nerd.gif

RR goes hard down the stretch but I would imagine all coaches do. This is just the guy I hear about. He has done good things his first two years on LOI day tho. Barnum, Shaw, Roundtree, Odoms, Omameh, Stokes, QWash, DRob. Problem now becomes, can he get some W's in the fall because people get pumped about his grind in the winter but come fall, he is public enemy #1 and for good reason.

Trust me, I know how The Victors Club works.
laugh.gif

But he has NEVER been Public Enemy #1 to me. 

I've been pretty vocal on here about how I think he is the right man for the job...he just needs time (more time than most coaches need because of who we were personnel wise before he got here and what he wants/truly needs to be effective).

Originally Posted by StackJaxx

Originally Posted by WhUtIzIt

???? why ????
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by EnEyeKayEe

laugh.gif

I've been pretty vocal on here about how I think he is the right man for the job...he just needs time (more time than most coaches need because of who we were personnel wise before he got here and what he wants/truly needs to be effective).

I might need you to hook me up after I left my script run out. I hate Tom Beaver with a passion and will go out blasting him late February. He knows nothing about football and how to scout, but just picks up on what he hears because he has good connections. He ran off Maizeman who was the best insider on that site and coachbt never shows up because he is with Maizeman. The best thing you could do is get onto Maizemans emails because he gives great insight to the team. Going with my free shared Rivals script. 

laugh.gif

I might need you to hook me up after I left my script run out. I hate Tom Beaver with a passion and will go out blasting him late February. He knows nothing about football and how to scout, but just picks up on what he hears because he has good connections. He ran off Maizeman who was the best insider on that site and coachbt never shows up because he is with Maizeman. The best thing you could do is get onto Maizemans emails because he gives great insight to the team. Going with my free shared Rivals script. 
I hate TJB as well.
laugh.gif
...I've been a member since '06 but rarely post.  The inside info was much better regarding UofM on Scout than it was on Rivals back then so I dropped Rivals, but I'm thinking about going back.  How is Rivals right now?  But like you said, it's weak as hell compared to when Maizeman was there and coachbt would chime in on recruits.

How do I get on Maizeman's email list?
nerd.gif

And please, PLEASE let me know ahead of time when you put Tom on blast (b/c it will obviously get locked with the quickness).
roll.gif
+*!@ will be EPIC.  I've never seen so many grown men d-ride another grown man.
smh.gif

laugh.gif

I hate TJB as well.
laugh.gif
...I've been a member since '06 but rarely post.  The inside info was much better regarding UofM on Scout than it was on Rivals back then so I dropped Rivals, but I'm thinking about going back.  How is Rivals right now?  But like you said, it's weak as hell compared to when Maizeman was there and coachbt would chime in on recruits.

nerd.gif

And please, PLEASE let me know ahead of time when you put Tom on blast (b/c it will obviously get locked with the quickness).
roll.gif
smh.gif
That's why I rely on the GoMBlog and y'all for this info 
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I hate TJB as well.
laugh.gif

nerd.gif

roll.gif
smh.gif
Lol I only keep my subscription going because I enjoy Sam Webb.  I wish I could get his radio show in Grand Rapids, always love hearing him fill in for the Huge.  Dudes worship TJB and his %'s
smh.gif

FML...

Corey Nelson is hosting Brent Venables on an in-home tonight, and is taking an official to USC this weekend
smh.gif

At least the staff managed to talk Jarrett Fobbs into coming to College Station this weekend.

Originally Posted by UCLAMIKE

Has Kelly got any new recruits since been hired at ND?

Not really any of note. He's been losing guys and then bringing in 2 and 3 star guys that the fan base has been complaining about. Rumors that he's closing in on Seantral and Matt James though?
nerd.gif

[table][tr][td]Report: Turner to UNC[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
771722.jpg

[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[table][tr][td]
By http:///search.scout.com/a.z?s=78&p=4&c=1&search=1&sskey=%22">http://search.scout.com/a...p;search=1&sskey="' + author + '%22&sssiteid=78&type=2';">Don Callahan

Inside Carolina
Posted Jan 28, 2010
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php...{{title}} {{url}}&lng=en&uid=4a3d868a2fb9f4e3http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php...ent from Rutgers.&lng=en&uid=4a3d868a2fb9f4e3http://www.blogger.com/blog_this.py...out.com/2/941937.html&n=Report: Turner to UNChttp://northcarolina.scout.com/2/941937.html#email-a-friend-windowhttp://northcarolina.scout.com/a.z?s=78&p=10&c=941937&refid=4781|More

The Tar Heels havelanded a second Florida running back Thursday - Casey Turner -according to the Florida Times-Union. The 5-foot-11, 190-pound tailbackfrom Jacksonville (Fla.) White reportedly switched his commitment fromRutgers.
[/td][/tr][tr][td]

LINK: Casey Turner now headed to play for North Carolina

As of Thursday evening, InsideCarolina.com has not been able to confirmthat Turner has committed to UNC. When reached late Thursday, Turnersparents told InsideCarolina.com that they could not confirm thepublished report.

Stay tuned for more on this breaking story ...

Casey Turner Profile
[/td][/tr][/table]

Originally Posted by tmay407

FML...

Corey Nelson is hosting Brent Venables on an in-home tonight, and is taking an official to USC this weekend
smh.gif
I'd bet money he ain't goin anywhere...

Gunna, Loften visiting USC this weekend?

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

[h2]Biggest busts[/h2]

Vincent Joseph, CB, USC
When you hit as often as Pete Carroll did at USC, a coach can affordsome misses. Joseph, who spent only two years at USC, was one of thisprogram's rare oversights in the talent evaluation.
laugh.gif
 @ ESPN.  Calling a no-name 3-star recruit one of the "biggest busts".  

Seantral aint goin to ND. Im willing to put money on that, and bettin on a 17 yr olds decision isnt that I would usually do

Big weekend for SC:
Dietrich Riley (cancelled Ole Miss trip)

Demar Dorsey

Nickell Robey

Latwan Anderson

Chaz Green

Arie Kouandjio

Corey Nelson

Christian Thomas

Soma Vainuku

John Cullen

Eddrick Loften

Originally Posted by DaComeUP

Originally Posted by UCLAMIKE

Has Kelly got any new recruits since been hired at ND?

Not really any of note. He's been losing guys and then bringing in 2 and 3 star guys that the fan base has been complaining about. Rumors that he's closing in on Seantral and Matt James though?
nerd.gif

could of swore one of yall on here said both dudes wouldn't pick the same school

Originally Posted by after h0urs

Big weekend for SC:
Dietrich Riley (cancelled Ole Miss trip)

Demar Dorsey

Nickell Robey

Latwan Anderson

Chaz Green

Arie Kouandjio

Corey Nelson

Christian Thomas

Soma Vainuku

John Cullen

Eddrick Loften
calling it now,

SC picks up Cullen, Green & Riley out that bunch