10 cars that have da highest and lowest residual value after 5 years.

The guy on the right im not sure he knows what he's talking about? but unless im missing something, how the hell can you NOT be surprised at BMWs losing most of their value after 5 yrs? i mean really?

i always tell people look on the road. you'll see plenty of BMWs or benz on the road today. especially NYC. even audi. but you typically do NOT see OLD BMWs, Benz or audi. why? because germans overcomplicate their cars and make it a massive pain to repair. even for something simple.

and I own a mk7 GTI and, even tho that is simple compared to BMW or benz, there are a couple of things with my car that has me scratching my head in terms of design choices.

unless u got bread like that to burn, and you know what you're getting yourself into, BMWs are nightmares. only one i'd ever buy is an old e36 or e46 m3 because at least their value is low enough to offset any repairs i'd need to do.

Subaru WRX/STI i get and don't get. I get it, because i used to have a WRX hatch for 5 yrs and man was it fun. and that sound was :pimp:. but the EJ255 is hot trash. subaru was selling these cars with bull**** piston integrity and these motors had a high failure rate. firewalls were trash, and interior quality was rattle city. throwout bearing in the clutch was garbage. and the 5 speeds had a terrible reputation for failing compared to the 6 speed (which i never understood why). personally, my wrx was dying in 2 cylinders so i traded it in for GTI.

So when i see these STIs for sale, and the outrageous prices people ask, especially at stock, im like :smh: car ain't worth it. BUT, again, if you know what ur getting urself into, and are willing to throw in a forged built motor, and cost of repair for any other typical issues, those cars are PRACTICAL and FUN.

i miss my wrx everyday.

Honda all the way. Accord sport to be more specific. Only mid size car I would buy. Lasts forever. Even making good money I would get the Benz or BMW.
like Toyota’s in LA. Cars are everywhere.
I would get a muscle car though.

The guy on the right im not sure he knows what he's talking about? but unless im missing something, how the hell can you NOT be surprised at BMWs losing most of their value after 5 yrs? i mean really?

i always tell people look on the road. you'll see plenty of BMWs or benz on the road today. especially NYC. even audi. but you typically do NOT see OLD BMWs, Benz or audi. why? because germans overcomplicate their cars and make it a massive pain to repair. even for something simple.

and I own a mk7 GTI and, even tho that is simple compared to BMW or benz, there are a couple of things with my car that has me scratching my head in terms of design choices.

unless u got bread like that to burn, and you know what you're getting yourself into, BMWs are nightmares. only one i'd ever buy is an old e36 or e46 m3 because at least their value is low enough to offset any repairs i'd need to do.

Subaru WRX/STI i get and don't get. I get it, because i used to have a WRX hatch for 5 yrs and man was it fun. and that sound was :pimp:. but the EJ255 is hot trash. subaru was selling these cars with bull**** piston integrity and these motors had a high failure rate. firewalls were trash, and interior quality was rattle city. throwout bearing in the clutch was garbage. and the 5 speeds had a terrible reputation for failing compared to the 6 speed (which i never understood why). personally, my wrx was dying in 2 cylinders so i traded it in for GTI.

So when i see these STIs for sale, and the outrageous prices people ask, especially at stock, im like :smh: car ain't worth it. BUT, again, if you know what ur getting urself into, and are willing to throw in a forged built motor, and cost of repair for any other typical issues, those cars are PRACTICAL and FUN.

i miss my wrx everyday.
Also a MK7 GTI owner. Some of the design stuff is annoying but I love the car to death. Some of the spacing is so damn tight under the seat. I dropped a nintendo switch cart and never found it.

Old Volvo’s FTW.

also, I see plenty of old bimmers on the road, not sure how people can afford to keep them this long, but there are plenty early 2000s BMW’s on the road.

Also a MK7 GTI owner. Some of the design stuff is annoying but I love the car to death. Some of the spacing is so damn tight under the seat. I dropped a nintendo switch cart and never found it.

lmfao. yea it can be tight in there for sure. but check it. im at 45K and i have this creaking from front suspension. only happens under load, or weight shifting. drove me nuts because i couldn't find a root cause, just videos on yt with the people filming the same problem. finally saw a vid where a guy (jk14 or something like that) was swapping out his subframe and moved his stock front sway around and that is when i heard the creak. turns out my front sway bar bushings are cooked.

BUT THEY ARE BOLTED ON TOP OF THE SUBFRAME :smh:. so to replace i need to A) droop subframe and B) replace whole sway bar because vw sells the front sway and bushings as 1 unit. i just grabbed some lithium grease spray and hopefully that will work. didn't try it yet..

I love my Wrangler and I'm not looking forward to the prospect of selling it soon, but it looks like I'll only be selling it for a few grand less than what I paid for it back in 2016. :nthat:

wranglers are stupid bread when new, but man they get that body rot after some years. idk why they hold their value, car is really just a box with a roll cage and top sped of ...psh idk 75?

Not gonna argue any of that. Really don't get many creature comforts for what you're paying for with a Wrangler.

The purchase was mostly a strategic move for me. Need something that handles well in the snow (I work at a hospital) and that won't give me problems for the 2-3 years I planned on keeping it (bought it brand new).

About to sell it in mint condition with ~30K miles before I make the move to BK.

Pretty sure I got it to 90mph once though. :lol:

, but man they get that body rot after some years. idk why they hold their value

alot of that can be mitigated with preventative maintenance and strategic hole drilling of frame to allow water to drain and not pool and rust da metal.

Just got a 2020 4runner.

Love it but man I hate the payments now.

Bought my 04 Maxima in 2008 cash and now about to finally sell it.

Will miss my baby and no payments.

I leased the 4runner though but man 4runners hold their value like no other.

Not gonna argue any of that. Really don't get many creature comforts for what you're paying for with a Wrangler.

The purchase was mostly a strategic move for me. Need something that handles well in the snow (I work at a hospital) and that won't give me problems for the 2-3 years I planned on keeping it (bought it brand new).

About to sell it in mint condition with ~30K miles before I make the move to BK.

Pretty sure I got it to 90mph once though. :lol:

I love my Wrangler and I'm not looking forward to the prospect of selling it soon, but it looks like I'll only be selling it for a few grand less than what I paid for it back in 2016. :nthat:

I'm bought to get rid of my 2013 Accord Coupe for a 2020 or later Rubicon. These DC roads are tearing up my car. I rented a sport and it was nice not having to drive around potholes and hear my shocks bottom out. Plus I want to do some light off-roading and camping.

This list would differ wildly in Canada. Specifically the Tundra and 4Runner; they are extremely difficult to come across at a steal.

Back
Top Bottom