*'11-'12 LAKERS Thread; 41-25* 1st Rd: DEN (go to 1st Rd. Thread)

so it looks like the Blazers are the third team involved in the D.Howard to the Nets deal... if this goes down today and CP3 ends up a Clipper this would have turned out to be the biggest fail in a long while

lol biggest fail for the magic. brook lopez and gerald wallace for dwight? crazy..

there must be half a dozen western conference teams trying to help the nets out just so the lakers wont get dwight. they know if the lakers get dwight its a wrap.

on the other hand the lakers should be looking for eastern conference teams to help them out but none of the eastern conference top teams have anything to help with. knicks, heat, celtics, bulls all pretty much have nothing to give.

if im the eastern conference teams i want dwight out my conference. and if im the western conference i dont want the lakers getting dwight.

Originally Posted by NobleKane

lol biggest fail for the magic. brook lopez and gerald wallace for dwight? crazy..

there must be half a dozen western conference teams trying to help the nets out just so the lakers wont get dwight. they know if the lakers get dwight its a wrap.

on the other hand the lakers should be looking for eastern conference teams to help them out but none of the eastern conference top teams have anything to help with. knicks, heat, celtics, bulls all pretty much have nothing to give.

if im the eastern conference teams i want dwight out my conference. and if im the western conference i dont want the lakers getting dwight.
This....

Nobody want the rich to get richer. They know its done if we lock up D-12 but I just don't see how the Magice take this...I mean damn don't you want the best players you can get for your franchise player? Bynum is the second best center. If your going to rebuild IMO bynum, the exception and some picks should work....but hey who wants to help the lakers out?
laugh.gif

First of all....don't sleep on Gerald Green! This guy can be a monster in that Mike Brown, cutting to the basket offense.

Second I don't see why everyone wants Dwight for. I would take healthy Bynum over him, Bynum can DOMINATE offensively when healthy, and he was in pretty good shape last year, no 30-game injuries. Dwight Howard has no post game and whines more than he wins. Hedo Turkoglu was as big as a reason as any they went to the finals that ONE year that KG was out with a bad knee. If Bynum is healthy I would take him over Dwight ALL DAY, he is like a glorified Ben Wallace to me. Kendrick Perkins owns this guy in the playoffs, I mean let's be real.

Third I will say we do need a PG, because we got murdered at that position in the playoffs. That's my only worry about the Lakers, if Green, Barnes, Blake and McRoberts are healthy we got a bench, we just need a quick PG. That's the only position I feel needs an upgrade, we gravy at everything else IMO

Bynum is NEVER healthy for the entire season. And D12 has no post game, oh.

Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

Originally Posted by illwill24

Dwight Howard has no post game

You clearly didn't watch Orlando play last season. It's not 2009 anymore. He ATE in the post last season. 
You mean in that first round loss to Atlanta?  

Dwight Howard has no post game

You clearly didn't watch Orlando play last season. It's not 2009 anymore. He ATE in the post last season. 
You mean in that first round loss to Atlanta?  
Actually yes when he averaged 27 ppg on 63% shooting and 15 rpg.

Say what you want about the guy but he's not worth Bynum and Pau. He's not worth all the trouble when he hasn't won anything but is still whiney. He's a great talent don't get me wrong but I wouldn't trade my frontcourt for that guy, esp when my frontcourt has won me multiple rings.

Say what you want about the guy but he's not worth Bynum and Pau. He's not worth all the trouble when he hasn't won anything but is still whiney. He's a great talent don't get me wrong but I wouldn't trade my frontcourt for that guy, esp when my frontcourt has won me multiple rings.
Kobe Bryant + Capable Bigs won multiple rings. Why wouldn't you surrender them for a guy that is 10X better and more reliable than the both of them?

Kobe Bryant + Capable Bigs won multiple rings. Why wouldn't you surrender them for a guy that is 10X better and more reliable than the both of them?
Because he hasn't proven it when it matters.  Like Pau, he had a bad playoffs last year I know that, but the guy has won on every level, even internationally.  There is a difference between talent and winning talent.  There are a lot of guys in this league with talent for days and haven't won anything.  Esp with the attitude he has "I wanna be traded, but to only 3 teams WTH??" it doesn't show any kind of leadership, and I wouldn't feel right signing a guy like that to a multi year contract.
Besides, the frontcourt is not the Lakers problem it's PG.  Why would you mess up team chemistry for a minor upgrade that still doesn't solve your team's biggest weakness?

And if you trade for Dwight, then what? Josh McRoberts starts at PF and you have NO BENCH in the froncourt. Character is hurt, and I don't even know if they have another center on the roster but Bynum. At least Pau can fill in for center when needed.

I mean Dwight Howard sounds like a great NBA2k12 trade, but I don't see him being the answer to all of this team's problems I'm sorry.

Originally Posted by tupac003

Originally Posted by NobleKane

This....

Nobody want the rich to get richer. They know its done if we lock up D-12 but I just don't see how the Magice take this...I mean damn don't you want the best players you can get for your franchise player? Bynum is the second best center. If your going to rebuild IMO bynum, the exception and some picks should work....but hey who wants to help the lakers out?
laugh.gif

build around bynum, half man half a season,
roll.gif

2nd best center doesn't mean jack when the best center is like 10x better

Because he hasn't proven it when it matters.  Like Pau, he had a bad playoffs last year I know that, but the guy has won on every level, even internationally.  There is a difference between talent and winning talent.  There are a lot of guys in this league with talent for days and haven't won anything.  Esp with the attitude he has "I wanna be traded, but to only 3 teams WTH??" it doesn't show any kind of leadership, and I wouldn't feel right signing a guy like that to a multi year contract.
Besides, the frontcourt is not the Lakers problem it's PG.  Why would you mess up team chemistry for a minor upgrade that still doesn't solve your team's biggest weakness?
Basketball is a team sport. You're faulting Dwight Howard for "not winning anything" when he plays for the Orlando Magic which consists of 11 other guys who weren't as good as the 11 other guys Pau Gasol played with? 
How much of a "winner" was Pau Gasol before he got to LA?

Team Chemistry? 
laugh.gif
 What chemistry? Did you not witness the sideshow that occurred with the team last season in the playoffs? There was definitely something going in that locker room and Bynum has already admitted as much when he made that "trust issues" comment. 

Dwight Howard is arguably the 2nd best player in the NBA. The most dominant player in the league. I could care less about "team needs". You have an opportunity to bring in a player who will be the face of your franchise in a few years when Kobe hangs it up....you do it. 

How do you know he isn't a winning talent? He was in the Finals not 2 years ago and before last season and had been to the ECF for 2 years straight. What exactly had Pau Gasol done before he got to LA that would have warranted him being labeled a winning talent? Nothing, that's what. He was an elite big man at the time and him+Kobe proved to be a formidable duo.

I'm sorry but Dwight is head and shoulders the best big in the game right now and hasn't even reached his prime or full potential yet. He could very well be the next Laker great big man, and we might as well milk the last 3 years out of Kobe by giving him a dominant big, which has proven to be a championship formula = 5 titles in the 2000s.

Rely on brittle Bynum and mentally soft Gasol if you want, I'll take the man-child Dwight at 25 years old.

Pau was drafted to the Grizzlies and they went from a lottery team to a 50 win playoff team. They were in the playoff hunt the year he was traded and didn't make the postseason afterwards.

And I'll say it again the Lakers have won with the frontcourt they have now. Dwight didn't win right, but he also sabotaged the team with all that trade talk, they completely redid their roster and still didn't get out of the first round. It's the same thing that happened with Carmelo last year, all the trade talk is a distraction. Even when Kobe said he wanted to be traded, he shut up by training camp and went to work, being a professional. They been moving people in and out that Magic lineup for years.

And I get it, Kobe + dominant big man = rings. But every big man the Lakers ever had were dominant offensively. Yeh he's a 20/20 guy on any given night, but he is not dominant in the post Im sorry. Al Horford is a 4 playing the 5 in Atlanta, and Dwight did his thing vs them, BUT THEY WON. Kareem did his thing before the Lakers, Wilt was doing his thing before the Lakers, Shaq was doing his thing before the Lakers, and Pau was doing his thing too, playing in the same division as the Spurs, Rockets and Mavs. But those guys are money in the post.

Dwight is the defensive POY, a beast physically, slam dunk champ all that, but he is not the answer in the post. Bynum and Gasol have proven themselves as post players throughout their careers (First time I seen Bynum he dunked on Shaq), apparently Dwight has done it for one year.

And like I said, if you get him, who else are you going to put in that frontcourt but Josh McRoberts?

Pau hadn't won a single playoff game before he came to the Lakers. Dwight's teams have been in the playoffs every year. Bynum wasn't even healthy during the playoff run in which we got to the Finals 3 straight years and won 2 titles. He avg 27 minutes a game last year, yet he's somehow indispensable? Guess you haven't watched Bynum this past season and still he looks and is very awkward in the post many times. Gasol I'll give you that he's more polished in the post, but he's also 6 years older than Dwight.

Doesn't really matter who they put around Kobe and D12, like we did with Shaq and Kobe...get a Horace Grant type who'll do the dirty work and run the offense through Dwight and Kobe. Defensively he makes us a lot better in the middle just with his presence.

Well I like Bynum, and I don't think we should let Pau go because he had a bad series. Dwight is a beast...we'll see what happens...

Pau was drafted to the Grizzlies and they went from a lottery team to a 50 win playoff team. They were in the playoff hunt the year he was traded and didn't make the postseason afterwards.

And I'll say it again the Lakers have won with the frontcourt they have now. Dwight didn't win right, but he also sabotaged the team with all that trade talk, they completely redid their roster and still didn't get out of the first round. It's the same thing that happened with Carmelo last year, all the trade talk is a distraction. Even when Kobe said he wanted to be traded, he shut up by training camp and went to work, being a professional. They been moving people in and out that Magic lineup for years.

And I get it, Kobe + dominant big man = rings. But every big man the Lakers ever had were dominant offensively. Yeh he's a 20/20 guy on any given night, but he is not dominant in the post Im sorry. Al Horford is a 4 playing the 5 in Atlanta, and Dwight did his thing vs them, BUT THEY WON. Kareem did his thing before the Lakers, Wilt was doing his thing before the Lakers, Shaq was doing his thing before the Lakers, and Pau was doing his thing too, playing in the same division as the Spurs, Rockets and Mavs. But those guys are money in the post.

Dwight is the defensive POY, a beast physically, slam dunk champ all that, but he is not the answer in the post. Bynum and Gasol have proven themselves as post players throughout their careers (First time I seen Bynum he dunked on Shaq), apparently Dwight has done it for one year.

And like I said, if you get him, who else are you going to put in that frontcourt but Josh McRoberts?

You're using alot of selective reasoning here.
Sounds like you just have something against D12...because there's no way you can sit up with a straight face and say that the combo of Pau and Bynum is better than the most dominant big in the game. 

Miss me with all that polished in the post stuff. Pau isn't a better fit because he a shoot from farther out and make pretty spin moves. Dwight commands a double team the second the ball is dumped down to him. He adds an entire different dynamic to the team that Pau and Bynum will never bring. 

Consider the fact that Pau is in his 30s and likely past his peak...Bynum being injury prone...and Dwight being 25 and still getting better....then I REALLY don't see what point you're trying to make here. 

As for the PF...who cares? You have Dwight at the 5...who plays at the 4 just needs to be able to rebound and hit an open jumper every now and then. Shaq won championships next to AC Green, Elden Campbell, Horace Grant, and Samaki Walker. 

Picking up Dwight would be a move to secure the cornerstone for the franchise for the foreseeable future. So you nitpicking about who's going to the play the 4 this year isn't really important in the grand scheme of things. 

Back
Top Bottom