13 years later, the AJ XIV still reigns supreme: AJ XIV vs ZK

I know everyone is talking about the performance of the Zoom Kobe and Lebron line but after 13 years of new technology, I still haven't a suitable replacement.

I do like the ZK line, especially the I's, IV's, and V's but I still believe that the AJ XIV outperforms them all.

Traction:  Traction means a lot to me since I make a lot of cuts and I'm not a spring chicken anymore.  With a traditional herringbone traction, the AJ XIV has never let me down on any type of court.  Squeaks like a mouse and stops on a dime. ZK I and IV  have pretty good traction overall but the AJ XIV still has it beat

Cushioning:  Professor K said it best when he stated that JB perfected Zoom Air in the AJ XIV.  The XIV doesn't feel as low as the ZK V but it doesn't feel as mushy to me as the IV or VI.  It has that Zoom Air "spring" that we all love in the forefoot and heel.   I have always played in the og's which I feel has better cushioning than the retros.  For some reason the retros cushioning feels a little hard

Fit:  I have never experienced any heel slip with the XIV and there is no side movement, especially in the OG XIV's which have a little more narrow toebox.  The ZK IV and V fit well although I had to go up half a size while the ZK VI is too narrow in 10.5 but a tad too long in an 11. Of course not everyone's foot is the same so take this with a grain of salt.

Ankle Support: I am a believer that the cut of the shoe doesn't make a difference in ankle support so both shoes do a great job. The asymmetrical cut of the XIV was ahead of its time though but the outrigger of the ZK provides great stability.

Durability:  The AJ XIV lasts a long time but you have to do daily maintenance on it.  The "teeth" on the side and the toe cap will separate from the leather.  The ZK has been very durable for me.  I have never had to reglue anything and the V's seem to always look new(I guess dirt doesn't stick to plastic)..

Weight: Well the ZK wins this one easily. 

Thanks for reading my rant.

I know everyone is talking about the performance of the Zoom Kobe and Lebron line but after 13 years of new technology, I still haven't a suitable replacement.

I do like the ZK line, especially the I's, IV's, and V's but I still believe that the AJ XIV outperforms them all.

Traction:  Traction means a lot to me since I make a lot of cuts and I'm not a spring chicken anymore.  With a traditional herringbone traction, the AJ XIV has never let me down on any type of court.  Squeaks like a mouse and stops on a dime. ZK I and IV  have pretty good traction overall but the AJ XIV still has it beat

Cushioning:  Professor K said it best when he stated that JB perfected Zoom Air in the AJ XIV.  The XIV doesn't feel as low as the ZK V but it doesn't feel as mushy to me as the IV or VI.  It has that Zoom Air "spring" that we all love in the forefoot and heel.   I have always played in the og's which I feel has better cushioning than the retros.  For some reason the retros cushioning feels a little hard

Fit:  I have never experienced any heel slip with the XIV and there is no side movement, especially in the OG XIV's which have a little more narrow toebox.  The ZK IV and V fit well although I had to go up half a size while the ZK VI is too narrow in 10.5 but a tad too long in an 11. Of course not everyone's foot is the same so take this with a grain of salt.

Ankle Support: I am a believer that the cut of the shoe doesn't make a difference in ankle support so both shoes do a great job. The asymmetrical cut of the XIV was ahead of its time though but the outrigger of the ZK provides great stability.

Durability:  The AJ XIV lasts a long time but you have to do daily maintenance on it.  The "teeth" on the side and the toe cap will separate from the leather.  The ZK has been very durable for me.  I have never had to reglue anything and the V's seem to always look new(I guess dirt doesn't stick to plastic)..

Weight: Well the ZK wins this one easily. 

Thanks for reading my rant.

the thing is.. everyone has their own opinion on each shoe. no one shoe is better than the other to everyone, only that individual person.

for example.. i think the zk6 are the best out of the kb line, but other's say the zk4 or zk5 are. it all depends on the player.

the thing is.. everyone has their own opinion on each shoe. no one shoe is better than the other to everyone, only that individual person.

for example.. i think the zk6 are the best out of the kb line, but other's say the zk4 or zk5 are. it all depends on the player.

Love 14's! Best ballin shoe on the market. Will definitely cop the Last shots and Stealth Obsidians when they release later this year.

Love 14's! Best ballin shoe on the market. Will definitely cop the Last shots and Stealth Obsidians when they release later this year.

I will have to get the last shots. must have for me...

but to take a side... I agree that the aj14s are good for ball NO DOUBT.
but I feel that the zk5 and 6 are the new big boys right now and I honestly
still like the 4- comfy and yet low to the ground.

the 14s are cool and awesome... but the zks take the cake.

I will have to get the last shots. must have for me...

but to take a side... I agree that the aj14s are good for ball NO DOUBT.
but I feel that the zk5 and 6 are the new big boys right now and I honestly
still like the 4- comfy and yet low to the ground.

the 14s are cool and awesome... but the zks take the cake.

Thanks, I know it is just my opinion after lots and lots of trial and error.  Luckily I already stocked up on my XIV's =)

Thanks, I know it is just my opinion after lots and lots of trial and error.  Luckily I already stocked up on my XIV's =)

Originally Posted by al3x89

Winning.  Why so many people are reluctant to accept this as reality...I don't know.

This could be posted in half of the review threads on NT and solve a lot of debates.  Then again...

I also liked the XIV and agree about the traction and Zoom.  But I think the XX could give it a run and I'll take the Adidas Supercreators over both of them any day of the week.
The XIV wasn't the best shoe for me for all out sprints and straight running, the XX's definitely beat it in that category.

Originally Posted by al3x89

Winning.  Why so many people are reluctant to accept this as reality...I don't know.

This could be posted in half of the review threads on NT and solve a lot of debates.  Then again...

I also liked the XIV and agree about the traction and Zoom.  But I think the XX could give it a run and I'll take the Adidas Supercreators over both of them any day of the week.
The XIV wasn't the best shoe for me for all out sprints and straight running, the XX's definitely beat it in that category.

damnnnnnnnnnnn nice aj14 collection, do you usually wear them with higher cut socks, i wore em in low cut socks and they were uncomfortable to me

damnnnnnnnnnnn nice aj14 collection, do you usually wear them with higher cut socks, i wore em in low cut socks and they were uncomfortable to me

I liked the feel of the XX but the traction was pretty bad for me on dusty floors especially. I have yet to to try the Supercreators but I want to.

I usually wear the XIV's with higher cut socks bc the tongue will rub into your ankles.

I liked the feel of the XX but the traction was pretty bad for me on dusty floors especially. I have yet to to try the Supercreators but I want to.

I usually wear the XIV's with higher cut socks bc the tongue will rub into your ankles.

I use both xiv's and all sorts of kobes in my rotation, but i do agree that i enjoy playing in the xiv's a bit more. They just feel like the total package

I use both xiv's and all sorts of kobes in my rotation, but i do agree that i enjoy playing in the xiv's a bit more. They just feel like the total package

Originally Posted by chamilitary03

I agree
Seems like there is always something is needed with the Kobe's thus far.
ZK IV..great shoe overall but needed to get rid of lunar foam
ZK V..great shoe but traction wasn't great
ZK VI. Too high for many and heel slips. 

And man are the XIV's squeaky!!

Originally Posted by chamilitary03

I agree
Seems like there is always something is needed with the Kobe's thus far.
ZK IV..great shoe overall but needed to get rid of lunar foam
ZK V..great shoe but traction wasn't great
ZK VI. Too high for many and heel slips. 

And man are the XIV's squeaky!!

Originally Posted by Schwollo

I hear you, the traction on the XX is average, and sometimes below average on dusty courts.  The traction on the XIV's was always on point, even after a lot of wear.

Supercreators are on ebay for decent prices, I'd get another pair if I needed one.

Back
Top Bottom