2009-10...Phil Jackson might coach only HOME games....what do you think about that?

Maybe Zo was right about Kobe being the real coach of the Lakers....

I dunno about having Phil for only home games...yes, I know he's a legend and he may have "earned" the right to do this...but this reeks of thestipulations the Yankees had in place when Roger Clemens came back...we'll see how this turns out...

Los Angeles Lakers coach Phil Jackson said in a radio interview Tuesday that he will make a firm decision about returning to the bench next season by "early July" and that he will also explore the possibility of letting Lakers assistant coach Kurt Rambis coach more road games in Jackson's place.

nba_g_pjax_65.jpg

Jackson

In the interview with ESPN Radio in Los Angeles (710 AM), Jackson insisted that health concerns would be the only reason that prevented him from completing the final season of his current coaching contract.

He also revealed that the concept of Rambis coaching the team regulary on the road -- theoretically sparing Jackson, who turns 64 in September, from the rigors of travel -- has already been discussed internally.

The Lakers completed a test run of the concept in April when Jackson, having had both of his hips replaced in recent years, skipped a one-game trip to Portland on the second night of back-to-back games shortly after the team had finished a grueling seven-game trip. With Rambis in charge, L.A. suffered a 106-98 loss to the Blazers.

Link

We need a player-coach in this league + Kobe could drop the nice guy act and just start ripping dudes again.

Phil is that dude...but if he doesn't think he can handle a full season he shouldstep down

that would be fine if he coached every game in the playoffs

always respected phil since he was my bulls coach

Originally Posted by renkxedik

eek.gif
eek.gif
10+ MIL for 41 games ............ surprise Riley didn't think of this first

43, they play the clippers in the same building
roll.gif

it would be cool for him to coach every game in california all 47

Hmm, maybe this is a transition to Rambis coaching full time season after next? Anyway, I think it'd be alright as long as the players were cool with it.If not, he should just step down if it will be a distraction.

Simple really, set up Rambis a little if he truly is the next HC, give Phil some rest, and see how it plays out.

If it comes down to us fighting for homecourt or somethin in March and we fly out to San Antonio and Phil is feelin good, I'm sure he'll be there totake care of things.

Non issue. Vet team ,been thru the fire, good assistant coaches, why not? If we lose 6, 7 games in a row on the road, then maybe Phil steps up and gets towork.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

We need a player-coach in this league + Kobe could drop the nice guy act and just start ripping dudes again.

Oh man, I would LOVE to see that. I'm not sure that it could be done in today's NBA, but if anyone could make it work in today's league, it wouldbe Kobe. And you know how much he loves the spotlight. Maybe this would be a way to one-up MJ?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Don't have a problem with it.

Same. He's done enough for Los Angeles.

We all know he's bout to step down, and this is only going to help ease Rambis into the coaching job.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by Executive76

Phil is that dude...but if he doesn't think he can handle a full season he should step down
those are my feelings as well....

Yup. He just passed Red with his 10th 'chip. Leave on top.

No way...Besides, this only can hurt his legacy. Then the argument that he only won because of the stars he had on his team would be much more valid if theyend up having another winning season.

Originally Posted by brighter than you

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Don't have a problem with it.

Same. He's done enough for Los Angeles.

We all know he's bout to step down, and this is only going to help ease Rambis into the coaching job.

I agree im down with this decision....if anything we let kobe take charge, put pau as captain and fish as co-captain LOL

Originally Posted by CP1708

Simple really, set up Rambis a little if he truly is the next HC, give Phil some rest, and see how it plays out.

If it comes down to us fighting for homecourt or somethin in March and we fly out to San Antonio and Phil is feelin good, I'm sure he'll be there to take care of things.

Non issue. Vet team ,been thru the fire, good assistant coaches, why not? If we lose 6, 7 games in a row on the road, then maybe Phil steps up and gets to work.
Co-sign.

Why would he retire when there is millions on the table for next year? He's been getting that early retirement money for years now. He'll find away to dog it another year. It's not even worth it to the organization for him to retire if Rambis is his successor anyway. They get the best ofboth worlds.

Originally Posted by rickybadman

If Phil coaches all the home games, a couple of road games in the West and all the playoffs, I'm cool with that.

That will be what will happen if he does it. So he will coach like 55-60 games . And playoffs.. I'll take Phil for 55 games instead of 0.. I'd rather82 (not counting playoffs) but if this is what we can get then cool.

Back
Top Bottom