***2009 Official OAKLAND RAIDERS Offseason Thread***

Originally Posted by peep tha sneaKs

8-8 Would be awesome.....It did win the division last year.. Hope we can have at least 1 win against each AFC West rival....that 1st game again SD is major...

Why are people talking about 8-8 as if it's even possible...
right now I'm just hoping for a 6-10 season, we'll expect about 8-8 in 2010.

Bumping for everyone else to see.

What's the deal with Al wanting Vick? I don't like Vick as a player, I don't think you can go all the way with him.

I'm pumped cause I managed to score 2nd level tickets to the Raiders game in Denver this year. It will be cold but I'll be in Denver reppin the NATIONin style come December.

Originally Posted by AJIIIpLATINum

I'm pumped cause I managed to score 2nd level tickets to the Raiders game in Denver this year. It will be cold but I'll be in Denver reppin the NATION in style come December.
nice man. I always make sure I rep the raiders here in SD every year. I also try to make a trip home and catch a home game or two.

Originally Posted by AJIIIpLATINum

I'm pumped cause I managed to score 2nd level tickets to the Raiders game in Denver this year. It will be cold but I'll be in Denver reppin the NATION in style come December.
pimp.gif

Nice.
The broncos should receive a crushing defeat at the hands of the RAIDERSSS the way they did last year.

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

Bumping for everyone else to see.

What's the deal with Al wanting Vick? I don't like Vick as a player, I don't think you can go all the way with him.

It's Al being Al...
Don't worry btw, i don't think the raiders would sign two vet qb's in the same off season, not to mention al is in love w/ jamarcus.

Raider fans, caught this story on Yahoo. Thought it was pretty interesting on the new practice format for the Raiders.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-raiders-cablescamp&prov=ap&type=lgns
Raiders adjust to different camp under Cable

NAPA, Calif. (AP)-For most of the Oakland Raiders, the first few days of training camp under coach Tom Cable are like nothing they've been through beforeas football players.

Quarterbacks are forbidden to pass the ball in seven-on-seven drills. They practice barking out audibles in the corner of the field while their teammates doother drills. The whistle blows almost as soon as the ball is handed off as coaches make sure each player is in the right spot. And then the process repeatsitself.

"It seemed like it was weird at first when he talked about the concept, but you go through it and it's a great concept," linebacker IsaiahEkejiuba(notes) said. "We're doing a lot of learning, get all the mistakes out the way."

The Raiders spent Saturday participating in their third straight day of what Cable has called a "learning-intensive" approach to football, eschewingpads, contact and running actual plays in favor of drilling fundamentals in this outdoor classroom in wine country.
ADVERTISEMENT

Fullback Lorenzo Neal(notes) told Cable he hadn't seen anything like it in 17 years in the NFL. The approach is in stark contrast to what the Raiders'cross-bay rivals are doing under coach Mike Singletary. The 49ers opened camp Saturday with two contact practices in pads as Singletary tries to instill aphysical mentality with his team.

Cable says there is plenty of time for hitting later in camp, in preseason games and the regular season. So for the first four days of his camp, he'sfocusing on the mental part of the game.

"When you hand them a set of pads and it's time to go do that, they get into that part of it rather easily. That's the way they'rewired," Cable said. "Remember now, the NFL season starts now and it hopefully ends sometime in February for you. The human body can only take so manycar crashes."

For the Raiders, those crashes won't begin until Monday, the fifth day of training camp. For now, they have one more day of drills that may look mundanebut are ones Cable says are vital for the Raiders to reverse a six-year slide of losing.

In seven-on-seven passing drills, the quarterbacks drop back, survey the field as receivers run their patterns, then stop without making a pass. JaMarcusRussell(notes) pleaded with his coaches to be able to show off that strong arm of his to no avail, although defensive coordinator John Marshall did shout outat one point, "It's time for a pick."

Later in practice, the quarterbacks line up near a fence, calling signals and taking simulated snaps. They bark out audibles, hand signals and all, asquarterbacks coach Paul Hackett calls out different defensive looks.

Defenders practice their run fits, going to a particular spot to fill a gap in the defense even though no plays are being run.

Then when the team lines up for 11-on-11 drills, the quarterback takes the snap and hands off the ball, only for a whistle to blow after the blockers anddefenders take just a step. That's repeated over and over again, as coaches watch footwork and other small details.

"You're really trying to get their mind into the who and the how part," Cable said. "When you throw pads on, you add that combative part ofit, and that really changes everything. … You've trained them, and now it's just handling it the right way."

Cable says one benefit of the approach that he first used as a college coach at Idaho is that younger players can get more practice time as the first andsecond teams are on separate fields, with no fear of injuries.

The players say the back-to-basics drills have been helpful, reinforcing what they learned in offseason workouts and allowing them to get back up to speedwithout the risk of injury.

"I think it's great," offensive lineman Mario Henderson(notes) said. "In my opinion, at camp when you get out the first day, you sometimesare not really focused on trying to do the right things. You're just focused on going out there and trying to win the starting job. Sometimes that can bebad because you are going fast, but you're not really doing your assignments. Now we have four days where we get everything down pat so then when it comestime Monday to earn a job, it's not your assignments slowing you down."

While the players like the approach, they're also eager to put on the pads and hit each other like football players again.

"They are like, `Come on coach, let's go play,"' Cable said.

Cliffnotes-Coach is making them go through mental runthrough practices - Straight back to the basics, get the playbook memorized and run through game likesituations, calling audibles, etc. but no hitting, passing, until the 5th day of training camp.

"We're doing a lot of learning, get all the mistakes out the way."

We shall see. This ALONE would be the biggest upgrade...especially for our defense.

I can't tell you how many times we've been killed by blown defensive assignments and penalties.

Hopefully, we can become disciplined, but at the moment...that's just wishful thinking.

The biggest concern I have coming into this season is the development of JaMarcus Russell. Although he did finish the season pretty strong last

year, his work ethic has to improve in order for this team to be successful. He has to show he is dedicated enough to be the starting QB for this

team, which means putting in a lot of extra work and basically show leadership and lead by example. So far, he hasn't really showed that too

much. Hopefully, bringing in Garcia will motivate him enough to improve significantly and take the next step. I don't think there are any

questions about his skills and what he can do on the field, but he has to work harder off the field in order to get better.

Cable on Russell. Sounds encouraging.
Cable:
[Calling his audibles] was the next phase. We keep talking about him taking steps and all that, and the next phase was for him to take care of his team in those pressure situations or getting us in the right play...I feel good about it because now at least I know if we get out there in a situation he's going to get us in the right play.

I think [he has improved his hot reads by] a tremendous amount. You saw the first two days, there was a blitz every practice, so that was by design to get him back into that.

http://www.examiner.com/x-514-Oakla...-as-a-team?cid=exrss-Oakland-Raiders-Examiner

Originally Posted by LA213ESPG

The biggest concern I have coming into this season is the development of JaMarcus Russell. Although he did finish the season pretty strong last

year, his work ethic has to improve in order for this team to be successful. He has to show he is dedicated enough to be the starting QB for this

team, which means putting in a lot of extra work and basically show leadership and lead by example. So far, he hasn't really showed that too

much. Hopefully, bringing in Garcia will motivate him enough to improve significantly and take the next step. I don't think there are any

questions about his skills and what he can do on the field, but he has to work harder off the field in order to get better.

I think Jamarcus is doing just that. Just a short list of his off-season improvements.

• Recognition of defenses
• Calling the right audibles
• Knowing where his hot route is in a given situation
• Accuracy has improved
• Getting to Oakland 2 weeks before OTAs
• Holding his own camp after OTAs

It's easy to get down on him due to all of the bias the media portrays about him, but these are things that are not really covered much by reporters. Somewill argue he should of showed up in better shape, but he was rehabbing from ankle surgery this off season. I think he is making the necessary steps toprogress, this is only his second camp.

Saturday Camp Notebook

August 1, 2009

[table][tr][td]
073109higgins.jpg
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]WR Johnnie Lee Higgins returned three punts for touchdowns last season.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Tony Gonzales
[/td] [/tr][/table]By Josh Cline
Day 3 of Raiders Training Camp is in the books at the Napa Valley Training Facility. Two-a-days continued as the team participated in a cool morning practice followed by warmer afternoon session after the clouds burned off. Saturday's practices focused primarily on getting repetitions in red zone situations.

While only a third-year player, Johnnie Lee Higgins has the third-most NFL experience in the receiving corps, behind only Javon Walker and Sammie Parker. As one of the veterans of the young group, Higgins is now taking time to help some of the rookie receivers during practice.

"If I see a rookie is having problems with a play, I'll go over and ask coach for them. When we get out on the field, I just go out there and explain them up a little bit because sometimes you get more understanding coming from a player than a coach," Higgins explained.

One of the reasons Higgins might be so helpful to his rookie receivers is that he remembers the challenge of his first training camp and the help he received from a veteran wide receiver. "[My first camp] was so hard because I was playing the Z and then [the coach] wanted me to do a little of the X, and it was just chaos. It was too much for me. [My roommate] Alvis Whitted, he just broke it down to me and that's what made it easy."

Wide receiver Chaz Schilens is starting his second season with the Raiders after getting the starting nod in six games as a rookie. Schilens sees a positive difference in the offensive scheme this season in its ability to respond to different coverages. "I feel like we have a lot better third-down plays and a lot more mixture to keep the defense on their toes," Schilens said. "We'll be practicing against our defense and mainly they play man a lot, so that will be something we'll get used to. But we'll be ready for everything-all the defenses we'll be seeing this year."
[table][tr][td]
080109brown.jpg
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LB Ricky Brown hits the sled during a 2009 Training Camp practice.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]Ricky Brown, a fourth-year linebacker out of Boston College, has been getting to try out a few different positions during camp. "[I'm] basically just going one play on Mike (middle), one play on Sam (strong). The best thing about it is, it's helping me being so interchangeable and it's really churning my mind to just work fast," Brown stated.
The constant movement does not bother Brown at all. "I'm actually really enjoying just kind of the challenge because you get in for a couple of training camps and you don't want to think the same old thing. It's really keeping me on the go," Brown explained.

As of now, Brown isn't sure where he'll end up by the time the regular season starts in September, "Whatever they tell me to do, I'm going to do. We'll see what happens."

The Silver and Black will be back on the field at the Napa Valley Training Facility on Sunday for two more practices. On Monday, the team will put on pads for the first time this summer for full-contact drills.

Go RAIDERS
pimp.gif

not a raiders fan at all, check sig, but i do live in napa and its pretty #$$%%#* ridiculous that they NEVER have practices open to the public . . . glad imnot a fan cuz that would piss me off even more

I'll be in Pittsburgh for the Raider/Steeler game this year in all my Raider gear. Just got the tickets today. GO RAIDERS!!!!

Originally Posted by swizzc

I'll be in Pittsburgh for the Raider/Steeler game this year in all my Raider gear. Just got the tickets today. GO RAIDERS!!!!

don't get in any fights after they win
laugh.gif
Hopefully this year is a rebirth of the Silver & black/ Steeler rivalry.
pimp.gif

im just hoping for the day i can wear my raiders stuff in public and not get ridiculed by random people on the street

Although I was never a big Cable fan he has really grown on me and at this point we just need a stable coach.

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

im just hoping for the day i can wear my raiders stuff in public and not get ridiculed by random people on the street
that's actually happened to you?
eek.gif

8-8 is kinda a stretch but it IS possible...last season alone raiders shouldve had 7 wins. i forgot which games exactly, but there were 3 games that theysimply HANDED AWAY. the one i do remember is the game against the bills...i was so @#$%%@ pissed at the defensive plays at the end of that game...

Originally Posted by Smokey1212

Kalif Barnes out for 6-8 weeks.
mad.gif
mad.gif

I was hoping he'd move over to RT. Cornell's job now.
eyes.gif

Major. Blow.

We still have Pears also. I don't see Green beating out Pears at RT.

But damn, I was looking forward to Barnes at one of the tackle positions.

Yeah 8-8 IS a bit of a stretch thanks to our difficult schedule.

But I have faith, and I'm sure all of Raider Nation is with me.

One more week 'til our first preseason game. GO RAIDERS
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom