2010 Mercedes Benz W212 E63

Originally Posted by irishbaz

Originally Posted by AirPhilippines

I doubt this will perform a whole lot better than the last E63 its only up a few HP and like all big benz cars it will drive like a barge regardless of suspension tweaks. Even the black S which is pitched at performance drivers has some way to go to be up there with 911/BMW M cars. The usual tons of power and spinning wheels but they will always be catering for middle aged golfers who are no longer sexually active
smile.gif

For the same money the V10 RS6 or V10 M5 are more driver focused cars, they can never hide the fact that they are heavy saloons but these 2 cars are better at handling the weight than MB.

The Black series is easily as fun as any 911 even mine. It may not be a drivers car, but it WILL put a smile on your face.I'd take it over any current M.

Whats FUN and whats a drivers car is quite different. Any large barge with power can be fun but when they start claiming to be a drivers car thats a different story. Im not big on any current M but the M3 CSL could outpreform any black, even brabus benz cars cant shake the CSL on track.

I've personally seen a black shake a CSL spec at willow. It's pretty obvious you haven't been in a black to understand how different it isregardless of the weight. I'd say it's just slightly slower than my 996 gt3 with motons under 3000lbs. The black is easily there with P-cars never mindM cars. If anything M Cars have a way to go to catch up with p-cars.Save for the E30 M3 no M has satisfied me in way a pcar does.

I went from an 993 RS to an E46 CSL and I can only say the change was an improvement for me. Whats regarded as one of the greatest 911s of all time was a hugedissapointment, Ive been in the black sl and CL and they have the power but lack the steering and soft chassis was a let down just like in the brabus benzcars. You are making these black cars out to be ferarri killers and hey are just not. These beefed up benz cars may suit NASCAR but on shorter tracks wheredriver skill is more a factor the black shows its weight badly.

I went from an 993 RS to an E46 CSL and I can only say the change was an improvement for me. Whats regarded as one of the greatest 911s of all time was a huge dissapointment, Ive been in the black sl and CL and they have the power but lack the steering and soft chassis was a let down just like in the brabus benz cars. You are making these black cars out to be ferarri killers and hey are just not. These beefed up benz cars may suit NASCAR but on shorter tracks where driver skill is more a factor the black shows its weight badly.

First off the 993rs isn't even the best 993, and on what criteria did it not satisfy you?We aren't talking about the black sl, nor the black cl.TheBlack CLK. You're making the m3csl seem as if it's god on wheels. The car is hardly as good as a well set up gt3. Cort Wagner (ALMS driver) piloted theBlack CLK on willow and left the CSL spec driver who was no slouch behind. I'm sure on home ground at Laguna Seca the same result would be had.

Originally Posted by AirPhilippines

I went from an 993 RS to an E46 CSL and I can only say the change was an improvement for me. Whats regarded as one of the greatest 911s of all time was a huge dissapointment, Ive been in the black sl and CL and they have the power but lack the steering and soft chassis was a let down just like in the brabus benz cars. You are making these black cars out to be ferarri killers and hey are just not. These beefed up benz cars may suit NASCAR but on shorter tracks where driver skill is more a factor the black shows its weight badly.

First off the 993rs isn't even the best 993, and on what criteria did it not satisfy you?We aren't talking about the black sl, nor the black cl.The Black CLK. You're making the m3csl seem as if it's god on wheels. The car is hardly as good as a well set up gt3. Cort Wagner (ALMS driver) piloted the Black CLK on willow and left the CSL spec driver who was no slouch behind. I'm sure on home ground at Laguna Seca the same result would be had.
There is no black Cl out yet. The only 2 out is the black CLK and black SL. The CSL is a fantastic car, but the clk black is no slouch either. Ithink the CLK black may have the edge over the CSL.

Back on topic though, can't wait for the F-series m5 and m6....eventhough they will be forced induced
frown.gif
. I liked the W211, but mercedes messed up with this one.

Yeah I don't wanna get intoargument here over details, the CSL is a sleeper IMO it's not the most powerful/exotic car in the world but it deserves respect on track, its not as sharpas a GT3 but it suits my needs as a daily driver and a track day performer.

I found the RS very skittish andto much of a handful for daily use, it's a pure drivers car with very little technology to correct driver mistakes. I also found it quite rattlely and itwas a LHD car, not the ideal mix in a RHD country that has rain/ice on the roads half the year! The porkers are great weapons on track but you need a lot ofskill/ability to get the most out of them, I will admit the RS frustrated me a few times, I guess I just expected more from it.

I had a maserati gransport beforethat so it was prob too much of a transition to the older 993, I always loved the shape of 993s tho still the best looking porkers IMO, after 6 months a guyoffered me 10% more than I paid for it so I let it go and got the CSL instead.

The main thing with M cars is thecost; they are relatively cheap compared to these big benz cars and they are more rewarding to drive, and you don't have to be Louis Hamilton to get somegood track times out of them.

For those looking for some detailson the CSL here is a comparison done by the great Tiff Needell some timeback, the main difference is the weight saving and steering rack is a lot sharper that the standard model. Think of it as the GT3 of BMW M3s with a back seat!

When I said about the black CL I was referring to the CLK, they had both cars (SL/CLK) out on a driver experience day last year. Speaking to some of theferrari heads there they werent impressed, most saying the germans lack the italian passion
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom