2017 NIKE NFL Apparel, Footwear & Jerseys

I finally bit on a 25% off sale and got a Vapor Elite custom Broncos Jersey from Fanatics. I always wanted an "authentic" jersey with my name and number on it, but I was disappointed that not only is the material different (literally on par with my Chinese Broncos jersey), but they did not sew it on the same way you'd find it on a pre-made jersey. These numbers are layered, rather than the border being on top of the base material. I got with Fanatics on chat and the guy I chatted with was far from impressive... Pretty bummed as these things are way overpriced as it sits, and I can't even get it done properly.

EDIT: After trying it on, the shoulder numbers are not straight. One sits back further than the other, which is noticeable. The front number is also not square with the BRONCOS embroidery.

The jersey
39797049294_a791e75495_h.jpg

Next to my knockoff Manning Jersey
38696880800_e879f5a967_h.jpg

Fanatics custom Vapor Elite vs a knockoff.
39611715305_3a3ed39e80_h.jpg

Next to my Elite 51 Keenum jersey.
39611783665_21cca1b64a_h.jpg

Tackle Twill comparison. Pre-made Elite 51 vs Fanatics custom Vapor Elite.
26636223628_21ac02b310_h.jpg

Figured this might help some of you if you decide to get one of these "custom" jerseys. Also, their customer service associate on chat was not particularly smart.

26636306198_d2acd67bf8_o.png

Last edited:
I finally bit on a 25% off sale and got a Vapor Elite custom Broncos Jersey from Fanatics. I always wanted an "authentic" jersey with my name and number on it, but I was disappointed that not only is the material different (literally on par with my Chinese Broncos jersey), but they did not sew it on the same way you'd find it on a pre-made jersey. These numbers are layered, rather than the border being on top of the base material. I got with Fanatics on chat and the guy I chatted with was far from impressive... Pretty bummed as these things are way overpriced as it sits, and I can't even get it done properly.

The jersey

Figured this might help some of you if you decide to get one of these "custom" jerseys. Also, their customer service associate on chat was not particularly smart.

Hey sorry to hear that. This comment probably won't help you but this topic has already been discussed here. The customized elites have layered #s vs retailed premade elites with the kiss cut #s. Maybe you could speak to customer service but they will just send you the same replacement.

Hey sorry to hear that. This comment probably won't help you but this topic has already been discussed here. The customized elites have layered #s vs retailed premade elites with the kiss cut #s. Maybe you could speak to customer service but they will just send you the same replacement.

Thanks for the reply. The guy I spoke (above) with didn't even know they were stitched at all... He just kept giving me a generic "it's custom" response. I had to tell him four times that it was stitched. This is pretty shady when these "shirts" cost so much. I can get almost 3 ABU uniforms for this price, with all my tags and rank sewn on.

I did add an EDIT above. The numbers aren't straight and it's noticeable as well.

I am trying to take a different route with getting this solved... We'll see if it works out.

Having dealt with a similar issue with a custom elite from fanatics, I currently have stopped buying custom authentics. This is one negative side effect of fanatics monopolizing the sports merch industry imo

It sucks because aside from official team stores (which fanatics has also started acquiring) there really isnt a plan b for custom authentics, although theres a slightly better chance to land a premade at a team store.

Don’t order the premade creamsicle Bucs jerseys you also get the same numbers as on the customs.

You'd think for the money they're charging (and it doesn't cost them a lot to make), they can give you the right product, done right.

EDIT: After trying it on, the shoulder numbers are not straight. One sits back further than the other, which is noticeable. The front number is also not square with the BRONCOS embroidery.

The jersey

Yeah, it’s ridiculous that the custom jerseys from fanatics don’t match the premade ones. You can try tweeting @FanaticsSupport to see if they can help.

Not sure if they will, because they told me my custom raiders jersey had the same shade of silver as the premade.

I have also a custom elite on the way. In which way are the #s on the custom vapor elites worse than on pre-mades? I understand that the pre-mades are close to the same as the jerseys players wear on the field but are the #s on customs somehow worse in quality? Is the material of the #s worse (for example thicker and more rigid like on vapor limiteds)? I can see that they are sewn differently with the fabric layered so they’re manufactured in a different way but is that a bad thing in other respect than in that you don’t get exactly the same as nfl players do? I mean both versions have the numbers stitched and not for example screen printed which would be horrible. So both version should be quality products at least in theory, with slight differences in the manufacturing process.

Also, is the fabric of the jersey itself different between pre-made vapor elites and custom vapor elites? I’m guessing it should be the same on both.

J JK10FI yamahaSHO yamahaSHO shack314 shack314 boss302 boss302 I think we can all collectively agree that accuracy is an issue between pre-made retail and custom elites. We worked hard for our $ and it's expected that quality is top notch. The fabric is pretty much the same between the pre-mades/customs/team issued ones IMO. The numbers are definitely different (ie. kiss cut vs. layered as mentioned earlier). It didn't deter me enough to proceed with a custom Jags/Titans/Bucs/Raiders etc. I know some collectors were annoyed at the Adidas revolution 30 authentics (ie. mesh vs twill #s).

That Broncos jersey is still very nice. I hope everything will work out.

J JK10FI yamahaSHO yamahaSHO shack314 shack314 boss302 boss302 I think we can all collectively agree that accuracy is an issue between pre-made retail and custom elites. We worked hard for our $ and it's expected that quality is top notch. The fabric is pretty much the same between the pre-mades/customs/team issued ones IMO. The numbers are definitely different (ie. kiss cut vs. layered as mentioned earlier). It didn't deter me enough to proceed with a custom Jags/Titans/Bucs/Raiders etc. I know some collectors were annoyed at the Adidas revolution 30 authentics (ie. mesh vs twill #s).

That Broncos jersey is still very nice. I hope everything will work out.

Well said. If they’re selling basically the same product (Vapor Untouchable Elite Jersey), the features should be the same if it’s a custom one or a pre-made one. If the features are not the same, it should be clearly stated in the description. And for sure with these prices one would expect the highest quality.

Even with the above mentioned problems, I'm also liking the look of that Broncos jersey although I'm not usually a big fan of their jerseys.

I had the same issue with the Vikings Vapor elite I recently ordered. I simply didn’t have the energy to make a post or contact fanatics about it. The twill wasn’t even pressed on the jersey on mine. The front numbers are slightly bubbly and aren’t crisp flat. That gives it a slight bootleg look.

Maybe we should all start tweeting and writing to corporate. I’d also tag exlcusive pro sports as a better substitute. And Nike for allowing their product to have such a poor customizer. Let me know if you proceed with anything more.

Last edited:
I have also a custom elite on the way. In which way are the #s on the custom vapor elites worse than on pre-mades? I understand that the pre-mades are close to the same as the jerseys players wear on the field but are the #s on customs somehow worse in quality? Is the material of the #s worse (for example thicker and more rigid like on vapor limiteds)? I can see that they are sewn differently with the fabric layered so they’re manufactured in a different way but is that a bad thing in other respect than in that you don’t get exactly the same as nfl players do? I mean both versions have the numbers stitched and not for example screen printed which would be horrible. So both version should be quality products at least in theory, with slight differences in the manufacturing process.

Also, is the fabric of the jersey itself different between pre-made vapor elites and custom vapor elites? I’m guessing it should be the same on both.

I think my issue is if we’re paying $350 it better be the same as the pre-made authentics. Lol the kiss cut technique is not new and it boggles me how companies simply won’t do it.

Also their soccer customs are NOT accurate either. The color on an authentic Real Madrid Ronaldo authentic I ordered for a friend didn’t not match the crest. I kept it though because I don’t think he noticed or cared much.

Their is some bubbling on my custom Bucs jersey from when the elites first came out too. And some teams even the pre made numbers suck especially the eagles and panthers. The game issued jerseys feel completely different than the retail ones. I have a game issued Ezekiel Elliot which has made me not buy an elite jersey since. At least the new nike NBA jerseys are kiss cut, both premade and authentic

Well said. If they’re selling basically the same product (Vapor Untouchable Elite Jersey), the features should be the same if it’s a custom one or a pre-made one. If the features are not the same, it should be clearly stated in the description. And for sure with these prices one would expect the highest quality.

Even with the above mentioned problems, I'm also liking the look of that Broncos jersey although I'm not usually a big fan of their jerseys.
I had the same issue with the Vikings Vapor elite I recently ordered. I simply didn’t have the energy to make a post or contact fanatics about it. The twill wasn’t even pressed on the jersey on mine. The front numbers are slightly bubbly and aren’t crisp flat. That gives it a slight bootleg look.

Maybe we should all start tweeting and writing to corporate. I’d also tag exlcusive pro sports as a better substitute. And Nike for allowing their product to have such a poor customizer. Let me know if you proceed with anything more.
I think my issue is if we’re paying $350 it better be the same as the pre-made authentics. Lol the kiss cut technique is not new and it boggles me how companies simply won’t do it.

Also their soccer customs are NOT accurate either. The color on an authentic Real Madrid Ronaldo authentic I ordered for a friend didn’t not match the crest. I kept it though because I don’t think he noticed or cared much.

It seems that Fanatics is intentionally pulling one over one people with these jerseys. They leave out specifics on the numbering/lettering and blame the customer for expecting the proper product they paid for. I have gone through a few different avenues to hopefully resolve this in some fashion. I will update if I actually get anywhere with it. I can be a huge **** when it comes to getting screwed over on something I spend a relatively large amount of money for a product such as this. The markup is so high on these, they don't care if they lose customers.

They did have me take some pictures after I blasted them publicly. The numbers being off is just too noticeable. Amongst other things found or not found on their product details... It states it's a Manufacturer Direct item, but it's not. STAHLS` INC (http://www.stahlsdfc.com/) sewed on the numbers and shipped it to me... Not Nike.

Shoulder numbers not centered and front number not straight.
26640911828_6548ce2b3f_h.jpg

39801534074_656f0f8a63_h.jpg

40469295562_0a619b03f3_h.jpg

Last edited:
Their is some bubbling on my custom Bucs jersey from when the elites first came out too. And some teams even the pre made numbers suck especially the eagles and panthers. The game issued jerseys feel completely different than the retail ones. I have a game issued Ezekiel Elliot which has made me not buy an elite jersey since. At least the new nike NBA jerseys are kiss cut, both premade and authentic
Yeah I understand your experience with the bubbling. I have this experience with some of my Elites after washing (ie. Newton which is pre-made and kiss cut). I think the bubbling is due to wrinkling after a wash cycle. There is also space between the #s and the garment. I have a customized Prescott/Elliott with layered twill #s but have yet to wear/wash the garment so we'll see.

Last edited:
Yeah I understand your experience with the bubbling. I have this experience with some of my Elites after washing (ie. Newton which is pre-made and kiss cut). I think the bubbling is due to wrinkling after a wash cycle. There is also space between the #s and the garment. I have a customized Prescott/Elliott with layered twill #s but have yet to wear/wash the garment so we'll see.

Nike had the same issue with their football authentics back in the 2000s. I think the big reason is they didn't apply proper adhesive to keep the twill pressed to the jersey. Those jerseys were also made in Latin America...

Kinda bummed to hear these stories now. Really like the materials Nike is using but the construction seems to be the issue.

Nike had the same issue with their football authentics back in the 2000s. I think the big reason is they didn't apply proper adhesive to keep the twill pressed to the jersey. Those jerseys were also made in Latin America...

Kinda bummed to hear these stories now. Really like the materials Nike is using but the construction seems to be the issue.

After I wash a jersey, I'll put a *white* shirt on the wet numbers and use an iron to make them flat again. Then I hang dry.

I missed the post above with the pics. FANATICS IS USING STAHL'S?!?! They are the worst!

My package came from "Fanatics Returns" which already annoyed me (Not from Nike direct). Didn't know they sourced it to Stahl's. That company completely ruined customized Reebok authentics in the late 2000s. It's a shame. EPS used to have a contract to customize jerseys with SO much better accuracy.

My recent JAGs customized jersey came from Stahl's. I knew what I was getting into so I'm not bitter about it.

Last edited:
I missed the post above with the pics. FANATICS IS USING STAHL'S?!?! They are the worst!

My package came from "Fanatics Returns" which already annoyed me (Not from Nike direct). Didn't know they sourced it to Stahl's. That company completely ruined customized Reebok authentics in the late 2000s. It's a shame. EPS used to have a contract to customize jerseys with SO much better accuracy.

On my package, I think the return address was also the Fanatics Returns in FL... I'll have to check again when I get home. It's the shipping e-mail that told me where it was coming from... I'm signed up with FedEx, so I got to see exactly who shipped it.

My posts are taking awhile to show up as they still require moderator approval.

40523295451_ce4db57a21_b.jpg

yamahaSHO yamahaSHO you have a good point arguing the numbers are not properly aligned/straight. That 'manufacturer direct' argument is a good observation but in business/trade legal terms may be debatable. It appears that Stahl's is a subcontractor to Fanatics, so therefore Fanatics is still the manufacturer. Sorry not trying to be an *** but playing devil's advocate.

Back
Top Bottom