2020 SNEAKER SCENE

Meh at this point I’m content with just buying some grey new balance 990’s every so often and calling it a day.

I had no idea that dunks are the new hype sneaker so I thought the sambas would’ve been an easy cop. Boy was I wrong. I’m just not the type of dude to go searching for sneakers and I’m not paying resell. The Kanye sneakers are overrated and overpriced. Jordan’s are overrated and overpriced and I barely even wear the remaining pairs I have when I used to buy sneakers every months.

at this point all i wear are Birkenstocks and converse 70’s most of the time. I’m not even mad at the evolution of this sneaker craze. I just won’t be participating anymore.

Only sneakers I buy are for maximum comfort to wear at work or shoes to train in

I’m washed. I don’t go “out” in sneakers ever anymore

That's me. 40 and washed. I tried on some Foamposites this week because I couldn't afford them back in the day and they felt like concrete bricks. Give me some Roshes and call it a day.

Only shoe I lined up for was my grail, the Black Cement IIIs while vacationing in Miami 2018 Nike store was a few blocks from our Airbnb and only 30 mins wait.

Last edited:
3 big shifts “01” “08””12”
2001 was the increase of Jordan retros releases
2008 the beginning of limited hype releases
2012 Christmas Concord fiasco “get money boyz

People embraced resellers they struck out/didn’t have access/regional release/old stock and paid $40 more and were thankful, but that was before everyone started reselling.

I remember 1999-2002, I went from getting my shoes two weeks early, then they started to crack down and you could pay for your shoes early and pick them up the Friday before release like pre-sale.

but really the shoe game is for kids and teenagers, it’s just we never left. Think about all your friends/family from elementary-middle-high school days and think about how many still care about shoes today.

Last edited:
Damn, just to let you know before you were here, all these shoes were available when you walked in the store Saturday at 5pm.

You didn't really have to line up for shoes until the first retro Js came out around 01.

And even then you were probably guaranteed a pair.

I'm talkin Concords, True Blue 3s, inferred 6s.
In my time of heavy purchasing(2005-2011), you had until about 10:30am before the last sizes sold out. But as long as you lined-up around 8:30-9:00am, you were pretty much guaranteed a pair(Military IVs, Black Cat IVs, BLK/Slvr Vs, Cardinal VIIs, etc.). It was pretty much the same in every mall/shoe store in the bay.

Last edited:
In my time of heavy purchasing(2005-2011), you had until about 10:30am before the last sizes sold out. But as long as you lined-up around 8:30-9:00am, you were pretty much guaranteed a pair(Military IVs, Black Cat IVs, BLK/Slvr Vs, Cardinal VIIs, etc.). It was pretty the same in every mall/shoe store in the bay.

100, it got a little heavier at that time.

But people who wanted the shoes could get the shoes.

And the resell was like a $50 mark up.

Not a 150% mark up.

I hate when the hype falls on sneakers us old heads love that’ sat for a year the 5 other times they retroe now we can’t get em.
I do love how much it’s grown and there are so many diverse niche markets. You can have multiple people with the same love but are completely different. That’s dope to me.

I've noticed that Nike is starting to make sneakers for me. Honestly, it takes a lot for me to purchase a sneaker for more than $100 now adays. It also happens that the sneakers I like are usually under that pricepoint.

Samba
Daybreak
Challenger

To name a few

For me, the game changed when the Galaxy Foams dropped. It was descending before then, but I remember that year I copped a retro at the mall. Like walked in and copped. I would get laughed out of the store if I tried that now.

3 big shifts “01” “08””12”
2001 was the increase of Jordan retros releases
2008 the beginning of limited hype releases
2012 Christmas Concord fiasco “get money boyz

People embraced resellers they struck out/didn’t have access/regional release/old stock and paid $40 more and were thankful, but that was before everyone started reselling.

I remember 1999-2002, I went from getting my shoes two weeks early, then they started to crack down and you could pay for your shoes early and pick them up the Friday before release like pre-sale.

but really the shoe game is for kids and teenagers, it’s just we never left. Think about all your friends/family from elementary-middle-high school days and think about how many still care about shoes today.
2011 concords, those things crashed the Nike website. Still got a pair somehow :lol:.

The good thing about now is that so many sneakers release that if you miss one who really cares? In a few weeks they’ll be something new and so on. I can’t bring myself to pay resale on any sneaker and I also don’t trust stockx/ goat legit checking.

After buying the Shox BB4 I really only have the gold Flightposite 1s and the Chicago 1s left for me to 'collect'. Quarantine was an opportunity to sell and get rid of endless amount of shoes I will never wear. Might as well make some money or give them to the less fortunate to wear.

I will always love shoes; the design process, innovation, technology and a place like this.

Pricing is what I miss the most
Screenshot_20200823-154618~3.png

but not the early 2000 fashion 🤣
IMG_20200823_181715.jpg

Last edited:
My main rotation still consists of the same models for the past 20 or so years - Air maxes and af1s. I will probably be happily wearing them almost every day for another 20 (or more) years. Thankfully decent color ways of all those shoes are easy to get, even on sale. I still sometimes grab random other “hyped” models and the occasional Jordan but rarely for resell price. I’m at the point now where it’s basically snkrs or bust, I’m not hunting other sites, raffles, etc. I don’t really care if I strike out anymore.

I miss the days (2003-2009ish or so) of just calling up Eastbay around midnight of release dates for the old J's. So easy.

Only shoe I ever camped out for was the OG DMP pack. Spent about 6 hours in line to catch the L, but copped for retail about a week later on eBay :lol:. Crazy how that worked out. I can't imagine paying more than $50 over retail now on shoes unless they are some Air Tech Challenge OG color ways.

When bots took over and everything was sold out in 10 seconds is when I got turned off.
pretty much

rarely even cop anything anymore, got old quick when its gotten almost impossible to grab some regular **** let alone the extra hyped and limited stuff

been slowly getting rid of my collection and keeping some OG stuff, im low key kind done now with kicks

I miss the days (2003-2009ish or so) of just calling up Eastbay around midnight of release dates for the old J's. So easy.

Only shoe I ever camped out for was the OG DMP pack. Spent about 6 hours in line to catch the L, but copped for retail about a week later on eBay :lol:. Crazy how that worked out. I can't imagine paying more than $50 over retail now on shoes unless they are some Air Tech Challenge OG color ways.
I call cap 🧢 on dmp’s going for retail on eBay a few weeks after the drop. I remember them selling for 1k the day of and hovered around $600 for a while. At the time I thght a rack was wild expensive for kix.

Back
Top Bottom