2020 SNEAKER SCENE

I call cap 🧢 on dmp’s going for retail on eBay a few weeks after the drop. I remember them selling for 1k the day of and hovered around $600 for a while. At the time I thght a rack was wild expensive for kix.
I honestly would call cap on myself, it sounds nuts I know :lol: . I remember the peak was $1k right after release, but it cooled down for a bit after some time had passed. I got REALLY lucky about a week after the hype was cooling. I remember looking nonstop cause I was so salty I missed out. Then I stumbled on a pair on eBay for at most $350, but it was not more than that (including shipping etc). Hit the BIN ASAP and they are still in my closet.

At the end of thew day I have nothing to prove to anyone, so take my word or leave it :smile:

Last edited:
im already expecting this massive L tomorrow for them 5 rings kobes

it actually makes me sick to my stomach knowing that bots and resellers are gonna eat off of my man's death while I'm over here complaining about something I can't control lol

I honestly would call cap on myself, it sounds nuts I know :lol: . I remember the peak was $1k right after release, but it cooled down for a bit after some time had passed. I got REALLY lucky about a week after the hype was cooling. I remember looking nonstop cause I was so salty I missed out. Then I stumbled on a pair on eBay for at most $350, but it was not more than that (including shipping etc). Hit the BIN ASAP and they are still in my closet.

At the end of thew day I have nothing to prove to anyone, so take my word or leave it :smile:
I guess so... :lol:
I got lucky myself. 5 days after release I pulled up to a shoe city in the hood n they had a pair on display. I asked the Lil booger behind the counter to let me get them n she was like “ you know they $300??” I was told her just ring me up.
:pimp:
Miss those days

There's no culture anymore. It's all about what these clowns with bots can feed on to flip at an ultra premium. Guys like me that are legit into kicks for the aesthetic and fashion and art aspect, no chance anymore. Taking L's every weekend. It's corny af.

When I was growing up, all you needed was the money. If you had the bread, you could get anything. Now, if you don't have a computer program, you left hoping you make it through a neverending queue.

It's trash af. It's not fun buying shoes anymore. Don't need this stress or disappointment

I get sarcicty, I get hype, I get trying to avoid saturation. But now I don’t even care when I lose on snkrs, I don’t care about looking for them at a reachable price on StockX or whatever, I don’t care about getting the next closest shoe, and my interest in sneakers as a whole dies a little every new missed release that comes after.

My only camps were altitude 13’s in Seattle Niketown 2005 (1 day).
Dinosaur Jr SB dunks & MF Doom SB dunks Seattle GOODS 2007 (14hrs)
Playoff 8’s Seattle Retro Shoe store 2008 (3hrs)

And never paid more than retail ever. Mostly cause I was a broke teen. But now cause it’s just disrespectful bots are rampant.

ive never hit on Snkrs app & I have only hit very few raffles. Depressssssssssing

Hey I was in the MF DOOM line. Though I didn't camp out. I went maybe an hour before they opened since I literally worked down the street. I had to settle on a size 9 instead of my 9.5 because guy in front of me bought the last one. I was trying my hardest to tell him not to cop since they were selling for $200 and he was undecided. lol I remember passing on Tiffany Dunks because Goods was selling them for $200. I regret that move big time. Never camped more than an hour or two.

Sneaker scene is so weird now. Resell prices are crazy high and now everyone is a reseller. Seeing SB Dunks that sat or were considered wack in 2004-2007 go for over $400 is insane to me. Companies looked at collectors as a niche and didn't understand what they had at that time. Now everything is catered towards hype. Don't see how they're creating brand loyalist if you keep making limited sneakers and not letting people get their hands on them. People just chasing the resell dollars.

Last edited:
There's no such thing as the "sneaker scene" or "sneaker culture" anymore. It's just the sneaker business now. What was once a global underground culture powered by sports, skateboarding, and b-boy is now a gentrified mainstream business powered by weekly limited drops, what celebrities wear and IG influencers. The advancement of technology played a big part (social media and bots) in its shift and now everyone is a reseller and/or sneaker guru, with 75% of that group being folks who had no knowledge about a AJ 1 until Kanye was running around in them from 2010-2012 or a Nike Dunk until Travis Scott started popping up in them starting in 2017.

Depending on what side you're on, reselling and bots have ruined things so the average person can't get what was once an "average" item because social media marketing hypes everything (especially with Nike, JB product). The big brands don't care since they're making their money either way, and now they're even getting more disrespectful by releasing a b-side or alternate make up of a popular shoe and now those are selling out too. Chicago AJ 1 Mids? Bred Lows? Chicago dunk SB low? A1 trolling.

SNKRS is so botted up it's nuts, and I'm pretty sure last week was the smoothest opening season drop for Supreme in years because on the back end their anti-bot setup shut down most bots.

On the other side....If you want to make your money grow and get into investing, reselling is the best form of investing without actually get into investing. If you have extra money sitting or can save up a bit you can get your foot into the botting culture and make some good money.

Past few years I've sold off pretty much most of my collection and now I'm looking to buy a place, a good percentage of that money coming from the shoes I've sold. I know a few people personally who have either sold off their collection for a down payment on house, OR quit their full-time 9-5 job (that many would love to have) so that they could resell full-time.

There's no sneaker scene and there's no sign this current pace is going to slow down anytime soon even with this pandemic we're currently in.

I barely buy shoes now mainly because I can't get what I want. Online is impossible with bots (I deleted SNKRS off my phone) and in-store folks are either camping out days in advance ahead of release day or hovering around stores every day from open to close for any kind of surprise drop.

Advice that I give to any newbie genuinely into sneakers: buy what you'll really love.

If you don't see yourself wearing a particular shoe every day, or bringing it out for special occasions, don't buy it. You're waisting money that could be saved or used elsewhere. Otherwise, buy it throw it in the back closet and in a few years you can sell it for $.

I lost everything in Harvey. Add me being old now to that. Now I can really say I’ve take it back to buying stuff I like + know I’m going to wear regularly. I’ve found I’ll get stuck on two or three shoes for a week or two then end doing the same again. Definitely no shoes that are so impractical they only get worn a couple of times

Money changed the sneaker game. I can’t knock the hustle, but having to pay a premium price for sneakers is crazy.

I remember when you could find sneakers a day after the release date if you put in the work for them. Even the toddler/kids sizes are selling out quick now.

All I need is a retro of the og 16 colorways and I’m officially done! The shoes that got me in the game will be the ones that get me out.

Sneaker scene ? Its just whoever has the best bot
^yup. Also It used to be only certain stuff was super hard to get now everything sells out. When I say everything I’m not talking about team Jordan’s etc. but even like 5 years ago I could easily go on premier or spot and get a pair of dunks way after release etc. Jordan 1 loss were often getting discounted

The only stuff I buy nowadays are adidas runners because 1. I’m actually able to get them 2. They go on sale frequently

Honestly, as much as I hate bots and resellers... 2020 hasn't been bad to me. Lots of good Jordan colorways I have been fortune enough to hit on for retail. Got pretty much every shoe I wanted except for the WMNS exclusive Jordan 1s (Satin Snakes and Tie Dyes), though many of them were harder than they should have been.

I can't speak as a hardcore collector back in the day though. I had a pretty decent collection of AF1s and Dunks in HS, and I started copping Jordan 1 mids in college. Stopped buying sneakers altogether when I started my professional career because I wasn't wearing them, and I didn't start seriously collecting until 2017 when Js became plentiful and often went on discount. Having at Finish Line and getting 30% off almost everything was also a big factor of getting my back in the game, kinda wish I hadn't because I've spent 20k in the last 3 years on shoes, but I am about to semi-retire again now that I am pretty much out of closet space. Gotta replace something if I want to make room for something new and I am A OK with that.

Sneaker Scene doesn't have a soul anymore (no pun intended). Even collab culture has changed. I remember when Dunks came out and the collabs with Stussy, Diamond, Huf, De la, Doom etc was the most creative designs I've seen it was like art. The detail and the effort put in is what made them just a dope shoe. Now its hype, people want whats limited and/or hard to get. There is no WOW factor anymore just WTF factor. I respect the new gen and they have different platforms and the few collabs that dropped such as the Wotherspoon and Sacai but, hype killed the scene and money helped because people are dropping stupid *** amounts on it. Off-White for example is just a remix of a shoe of an OG but the OG looks better and the remixed Frankenstien version cost 3x more ?!?!?! I knew I was all the way done at that point!

I really hope they retro the DOOM Dunks some day and that I am fortunate enough to get a pair. I tried on ebay back in the day, bought 2 different pairs and both were bootleg so I ended up giving them to my nephew to dog. I'm a big DOOM fan so they are a must have if they every come back around... but only at retail.

I was really happy to get all 6 pairs of the Wu-Wallies for retail or less though.

These same complaints have been made in one form or another even back in the day.

Still tons of great shoes to be had a a deal. Getting plugged in at shops helps as well. Building relationships, etc. But it was the same thing back in the day. Money talked in the early 2000s too.

I remember standing in line at Walters overnight just to have a baller come up and skip the line, buy out the store, and then my size was gone when it got to me.

Same for Wish in Atlanta.

I'd say sites like stockx have actually helped with a lot of the scamming/inherent danger with meetups that was so prevalent back then.

Resell is more crazy now, but the collectors also have more money now.

These same complaints have been made in one form or another even back in the day.

Still tons of great shoes to be had a a deal. Getting plugged in at shops helps as well. Building relationships, etc. But it was the same thing back in the day. Money talked in the early 2000s too.

I remember standing in line at Walters overnight just to have a baller come up and skip the line, buy out the store, and then my size was gone when it got to me.

Same for Wish in Atlanta.

I'd say sites like stockx have actually helped with a lot of the scamming/inherent danger with meetups that was so prevalent back then.

Resell is more crazy now, but the collectors also have more money now.
Facts. Reselling has always been around but reselling back then was secondary to collecting imo. And the resell prices were “fair”

Now I feel it’s the primary reason why anybody buy shoes nowadays.To add on to insult are companies like Footlocker who teamed with reselling sites such as GOAT to profit of people who stands no chance against 5k+ computer programs that can buy 15+ pairs at once using multiple proxies

and contemporary resellers have no morals Whatsoever... remember those people reselling Kobe’s funeral tickets? Yup them mother****ers

So tired of the whole “thing ain’t what they used to be” mindset. Get over it and focus on the now.

Back
Top Bottom