2024 Track and Field Thread — Olympic Year!!!

You've got it kind of feel bad for Richardson. Less than 2 months ago she ran a 10.72, one of the fastest times ever and since then Jamaican women have been destroying that mark repeatedly. 😭

I thought that Flo Jo's world record would legitimately last for the remainder of my life, for such a long time there was no one even close but now it looks like it's within reach.

Dalilah Muhammad
7D75D4DC-0AD4-4540-8906-259E301D234B.gif

The track and conditions in Laussane definitely looks to be slower than Eugene

Historically, Lausanne has always been a fast track. A LOT of fast times have happened at that meet. Off the top Leroy Burrell's 9.85 which was the Mens 100m WR for a few years and Yohan Blake's 9.69 in 2012 immediately comes to mind. The weather and I feel travel played a factor today.

Now Paris this weekend? thats definitely not a supremely fast surface. Can't remember any mind blowing times done there. That track is better for distance running. IIRC Usain Bolt and Asafa Powell have ran a few 9.7s there.

You've got it kind of feel bad for Richardson. Less than 2 months ago she ran a 10.72, one of the fastest times ever and since then Jamaican women have been destroying that mark repeatedly. 😭

I thought that Flo Jo's world record would legitimately last for the remainder of my life, for such a long time there was no one even close but now it looks like it's within reach.

I'd never thought I'd see the day Flo-jo's 10.49 or 21.34 would be challenged. Didn't think it was humanly possible. The longest standing records are all Women's during a suspicious time in the 1980s....and I want them all gone ASAP. Women's 100, 200, 400, 800 and 4x400.

Never thought Id see any of those women’s records go

to make the comparison to swimming, figured it would take a special talent like dressel to get near or under some of those super suit records

Their are still some records I just can’t fathom someone touching in swimming.. women’s 200 fly, men’s 200 free, Phelps’ 4 IM amongst others.. I thought phelps’ 2 fly was in that group

but just trying think of the world records that would blow my mind now that the flojo ones are seemingly in play

has anyone been anywhere near the high jump or long jump records?

I don’t even know who could get under that women’s 4 record.. if not for mu, wouldn’t think that women’s 8 record would be in play, shhh maybe she could get under that 4 record

if anyone comes near bolt’s records that shh would be crazy.. still waiting to see those flojo records go down.. the men’s 800 is now up there to me even thou it ain’t THAT old

Never thought Id see any of those women’s records go

to make the comparison to swimming, figured it would take a special talent like dressel to get near or under some of those super suit records

Their are still some records I just can’t fathom someone touching in swimming.. women’s 200 fly, men’s 200 free, Phelps’ 4 IM amongst others.. I thought phelps’ 2 fly was in that group

but just trying think of the world records that would blow my mind now that the flojo ones are seemingly in play

has anyone been anywhere near the high jump or long jump records?

I don’t even know who could get under that women’s 4 record.. if not for mu, wouldn’t think that women’s 8 record would be in play, shhh maybe she could get under that 4 record

if anyone comes near bolt’s records that shh would be crazy.. still waiting to see those flojo records go down.. the men’s 800 is now up there to me even thou it ain’t THAT old

I'm rusty when it comes to field events but I know there's been a long stretch in the Long Jump where even winning marks were average and far off the winning marks in the 90s. Hence why a lot of folks were calling Greg Rutherford's string of championship wins flukes because the winning marks were so average.

For the Women's 400 I thought Nasser had a good chance of breaking it after her World Championship win in 2019. When you watch the race she didn't appear fatigued, didn't really push hard in the end and eased up a little and still ran 48.14. Obviously soon after she was banned until 2023 so who knows how legitimate she is. I still think Shaunae Miller-Uibo and Athing Mu also have a good shot at breaking it.

SMU ran her PB of 48.36 in Tokyo and she wasn't 100%. When she finished 2nd to Nasser at Worlds many felt she could've won and ran a time like 48.14 but her strategy was terrible and she allowed Nasser to get to far ahead instead of running with her. Mu is only 19 and her upside is crazy. Considering the 400m WR holder was also a 200m runner and the 2nd fastest was also a 800m runner naturally you'd think SMU or Mu could be the one to break it.

But ****, I just remembered scrap ALL of that. If Christine Mboma is allowed to run the 400m again she's definitely breaking it no questions asked. 18-years-old and you run 48.5? yeah that WR is gone if she can run the 400 again...sheesh the 200m WR may go if she gets her 1st 100m right.

Last edited:
I hope Shanue breaks it because 242

but other girl was clearly cheating

mboma is the one I’m curious about.. then it’s what mu decides to do.. and can’t forget my girl syd if she switches

but has anyone else even been under 48?

i'm going with that perec 48.25 as the world record

Same and I was glad to have watched that live on TV when it happened. 3 of the top 15 from that list came from that one race in Atlanta.

SAFP has withdrawn from the Paris Diamond League tomorrow. Not shocked having ran in Eugene, Lausanne, and then Paris tomorrow plus all that travel? must be tired.

Allyson Felix last race will be tmrw in Paris

I wanna see what Bol runs in the 400m flat tmrw

Grant Holloway shut down this season, returning indoor to go for an indoor world title

Allyson Felix last race will be tmrw in Paris

I wanna see what Bol runs in the 400m flat tmrw

Grant Holloway shut down this season, returning indoor to go for an indoor world title
last race of the season? she mentioned she was planning on worlds next yr

yea last of this season

last race of the season? she mentioned she was planning on worlds next yr

Bol's Olympic schedule and results

July 31 - 400H Round 1 - 54.43
July 31 - Mixed Relay Final - 49.74 (fastest 3rd leg)
Aug 2 - 400H Semi Final - 53.91
Aug 4 - 400H Final - 52.03
Aug 5 - 4x400 Relay Heat - 49.14 (fastest anchor leg)
Aug 7 - 4x400 Relay Final - 48.97 (2nd fastest anchor leg, Mu 48.32)

Back
Top Bottom