2024 NBA Draft Thread - the hawks might be on the clock

Thank you Kevin Pelton for validating my poorly informed hot takes. :lol:

Lamelo is 1 on my board.

I haven't watched one second of Tyrese Haliburton but given that I hate just about every other player i've watched ill take his word for it.

I really really really don’t understand the melo hype. I just don’t.

Teams love length, IQ, and the ability to play make for others. He literally checks all those boxes. Look where Lonzo went in a much better draft, Melo has the potential to be much better than him.

Tall ball handlers with passing ability is my favorite player archetype.

I think there's a theoretical version of Lamelo that could be an awesome player if A LOT of things went right and he vastly improved in some key facets. As it stands though, all he is is a tall dude with a good handle and high level passing. He's a pretty poor shooter with a bad shot selection. Average at best NBA athleticism. I think he has better touch around the basket than his brother, but similar to his brother, is scared of contact, and his lack of strength and athleticism may nullify that touch. Defensively, he can't guard anyone.

His handle gives him a higher ceiling than Lonzo because it should allow him to be a much bigger offensive threat in the halfcourt, but the defense is basically nonexistent, whereas his brother is really active, and is a stronger, better athlete.

He's like if you stripped Luka of all of his physicality. I'm just not really sure what kind of player that is. Better, taller MCW with more 3s?

I get why people would take the swing with him, especially in this draft, as his potential ceiling is high. I just don't think he gets there. Will be a solid player though because of his ability to make others better.

Is your draft judgement for prospects viewed through having one elite skill/attribute or trying to find the most well rounded prospect?

The former is why Melo is going to be a top three pick.

Is your draft judgement for prospects viewed through having one elite skill/attribute or trying to find the most well rounded prospect?

I think it has to be a bit of both. Shooting is extremely important in today's game, and Tyrell Terry and Aaron Nesmith are probably the 2 best shooters in the draft, but both basically bring nothing else to the table. And I think that has to be accounted for. If that's all they are out on the floor for and can't guard anyone or put the ball on the floor, that player is going to have a tough time unless they are surrounded by guys that can really complement them and make up for their deficiencies.

I absolutely love Lamelo's one elite skill, and that's the reason why I think he'll have a long, solid career. I just don't know if "Elite Passer" screams future star. Maybe just high level role player, like his brother. In this draft though, I think he's worthy of a top 4 pick because I do think he has a bit more potential than that if things go right for him. If not, he'll at least be a good piece for you.

You gotta be elite at something going that high. Everything else that may come with that as the player develops is just the cherry on top.

You gotta be elite at something going that high. Everything else that may come with that as the player develops is just the cherry on top.
Yeah, I don't think anybody would argue that you'd want a top 3 pick to have some sort of elite attribute.

Deni's most recent game. 18 and 5 in 21 minutes. 7-10 from the field, 2-5 from 3, 2-2 from the stripe.

Depends where you picking...If you at the top of the draft gotta do one thing great and bring a couple other things to the table or have a legit pathway to developing those ...As the draft goes on you just looking for specific things at a solid level

Melo Ball is highly regarded cuz scouts are banking on his shot getting consistent and effort on defense taking a jump cuz he’s on the NBA level...If that happens, you have a 6’7 guard that can create offense on all levels and defend multiple positions

Last edited:
For Minnesota, I feel like Deni with the lotto pick and then someone like Precious Achiuwa with the Brooklyn pick would be a perfect draft. Addresses everything they need without reaching for fit.

For Minnesota, I feel like Deni with the lotto pick and then someone like Precious Achiuwa with the Brooklyn pick would be a perfect draft. Addresses everything they need without reaching for fit.
I am really hopeful for Minnesota, they are to me what Atlanta was last year. New management with some good draft chips to play

I am also really hopeful that if the pick is Deni, he can play some semblance of defense down the road. They desperately need a third guy who doesn't need high usage but can create/play defense. When KAT and Ratsull are their pillars, defense is paramount at the other positions

Also, who outside of Okongwu is the best rim protector who can also guard both the 4/5? Whomever that is, that's exactly who they need to select with the Brooklyn pick

I am really hopeful for Minnesota, they are to me what Atlanta was last year. New management with some good draft chips to play

I am also really hopeful that if the pick is Deni, he can play some semblance of defense down the road. They desperately need a third guy who doesn't need high usage but can create/play defense. When KAT and Ratsull are their pillars, defense is paramount at the other positions

Also, who outside of Okongwu is the best rim protector who can also guard both the 4/5? Whomever that is, that's exactly who they need to select with the Brooklyn pick
Jalen Smith, Precious Achiuwa, Paul Reed

Jalen Smith, Precious Achiuwa, Paul Reed
Or they could try to find a big on the market or trade for someone like Dedmon.. and swing for the fences on another offensive draft prospect. Either way KAT needs to be freed from having the pressure of anchoring the defense

11 points, 7 boards, 3 assists, 1 steal, 1 block. 3-8 from the field, 3-7 from 3, 2-6 from the stripe. Seems like his usage diminishes when they play these better teams, which is pretty much par for the course with young players in Europe.

His FT shooting is worrisome to me. Well-rounded player though.

My thing with deni is that all the playmaking disappears when they play better competition and he really can’t dribble like that yet. I understand he’s young though.

Back
Top Bottom