24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

Yea plan on getting the Global TSA Pass

How does the Lounge situation work? I read it was a perk, do I just flash it when I get there?

Is it free food in there?

depends on what lounge your in... a lot of them offer comp alcoholic beverages as well as soda and finger foods.

Need an iD on the JCB card. Homie from work told me about it but said its for business but you really dont have to have a business to have one. I think he said you can get a 15,000 credit limit.

Also what about signing up for Best Buy card? since im gonna be making some purchases from them soon.

Need an iD on the JCB card. Homie from work told me about it but said its for business but you really dont have to have a business to have one. I think he said you can get a 15,000 credit limit.

Also what about signing up for Best Buy card? since im gonna be making some purchases from them soon.
What are the benefits of the Best Buy card? Opening store cards are generally frowned upon but if it's to your benefit, I don't see why not. Once the benefit is no longer of use, just close the card.

What are the benefits of the Best Buy card? Opening store cards are generally frowned upon but if it's to your benefit, I don't see why not. Once the benefit is no longer of use, just close the card.
I'll look into it. But im more than likely not gonna cop it.

Thinking about doing this but idk if I’ll be able to or even want to spend $3000 in the next 90 days :lol:. Gonna look on reddit and see if there’s any new ways to churn and I’ll def sign up.. 50k points I can redeem for $500 cash is nice. $95 annual fee

63088079-0EF0-4A46-9DCC-01A8D9876E94.png

Been thinking about signing up for the chase Sapphire Reserve but I’m in the same boat I don’t think I’d be able to do the $4000

I just recently spent almost 3x as much as I normally do in a month so I wish I had a new card to put that $ towards but I wasn’t even thinking about that :smh:

Ended up getting the card.. Parents put some bills on there plus my mom needed car work done so I easily hit the 3000 spend within like 3 weeks :lol:. After the $95 annual fee I’ll pocket $405 .. one of my best cc come ups :pimp: :pimp:

The preferred... I think it’s like $120 dining credit at select restaurants and 4x on dining and groceries

For some reason I think they are going to increase the annual fee like they did with the Platinum if this is true.

And.... the AF did go up lol. $250 now. I wish the restaurant credit was to any restaurant and not pieced out @ 10/m at certain stores. They did that same nonsense with the uber credits and the Platinum.

I'm about to close on my house in a couple weeks.
Wife wants to open up a card or two.
What other cards besides Chase Sapphire should I look into?
Mainly looking into best overall rewards, cash back, travel benefits, etc.
TIA

Last edited:
I'm about to close on my house in a couple weeks.
Wife wants to open up a card or two.
What other cards besides Chase Sapphire should I look into?
Mainly looking into best overall rewards, cash back, travel benefits, etc.
TIA

Don't open anything until after closing. You don't want to mess w your credit / numbers right before you buy the house

If I add my CCs to samsung/android pay will I still get the benefits for cash back? I think I read some fine print somewhere, I dont remember, that you have to use the actual cards.

Short Story: My credit took a hit over the last few years from not paying off bills etc, just fell into hard times and being irresponsible. Had to get my own spot with my girl last year and kept getting denied because of my credit. Eventually we were able to get an apartment using her credit...

A year later, we have to move again. During this past year I made an effort to pay off most of my debt and was able to get approved for a better apartment in the city (that's actually cheaper). Now the main focus will be to build on the habits I started and really increase the score. Moral of the story is, don't be discouraged with your credit just create a plan and make it work.

If I add my CCs to samsung/android pay will I still get the benefits for cash back? I think I read some fine print somewhere, I dont remember, that you have to use the actual cards.

Yes - it still uses that CC, just via the Samsung/Android app.

Sometimes you even get extra points for using it

Considering getting a Discover IT card. Currently using the AMEX Everyday card (the clear one, not blue). First year cash back match, 5% back on gas/food/Amazon, and cash back redemption are tempting. Amex been good to me, but think I wanna add an IT card and try that out.

Wondering if any NT'ers have any opinions on my situation.

So, i was on a roll, credit rising by the day, finally hit the mid 700's was proud of myself.

But then, I had my son, and a series of events unfolded. moved to a different city to try a new position that didnt workout right, so lived on my savings and paychecks that didnt compare to the ones i was making. Soon my savings was through, then lived the use paycheck, and what paycheck couldnt cover, credit. I was zero'd out on all my cards except one.

now im looking like:

AMex:
$900 balance < interest fees
$700 balance < interest fees

Cap one- have another cap card zero'd out
$800 < interest fees
$700 < interest fees

Chase- have another chase card zero'd out
$4,500 < 0% interest until march 2019

So im trying to pay off these balances now, but my income isnt really giving me room to do so. I have two car payments with insurance, rent, cellphones etc.. wife doesnt work.

was wondering what if i consolidated all the amounts to stop getting hit with interest on the separate cards. and maybe with one firm payment i could attack it a lot better. Wondering what would be a wise move.

my score was 738, now down to 622 because new car loan, and balance on cards. any help would be valued thanks nt.

What DR would suggest is sell your cars and buy something for $1,000-$2,000 cash. Throw all cash you would be throwing at your car payments towards your CC debt.

What DR would suggest is sell your cars and buy something for $1,000-$2,000 cash. Throw all cash you would be throwing at your car payments towards your CC debt.
I would get rid of the cars first and foremost. No reason to be paying two off two car notes with one salary while in CC debt

You and your wife need to have a serious conversation about her going back to work.

even if its part time while you are off or a few hours on the weekend while you are home other wise you need another job or better paying one.

In terms of the debt depending on your risk tolerance I would try to find one of those debt consolidation loans and get off those high interest credit card loans. Your credit score may be an issue here.

It may take a while to get out but its not too bad just dont allow it to get worse

Back
Top Bottom