24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

applied for a Chase Freedom Unlimited Credit Card and was surprised i got denied because lack of credit history
any recommendation on cc?

Need a little advice -

My AMEX BCE has a $3800 balance on a $16.8K limit. Things have been a little tight so I haven’t been really making a dent and I’m essentially treading water by the interest sucking up most of the payment.

Looking into a balance transfer card to whittle down the amount. Don’t anticipate paying the entire $3500-4K in 15 months but should be able to get it down to ~$1500. If I’m granted a limit less than the AMEX balance and I fully transfer it over I know I’ll impact myself with 100% utilization. Seems like the prudent way to do it is if I get a healthy limit but not sure that will happen.

Current cards are
AMEX - $16.8
Credit One (yuck) - $1850
Secured Credit Union - $1K
Best Buy - $500

Depends on the source for my credit score, it’s all over the place. Credit Karma says 747, Credit One says 739, Discover Scorecard says 688 and AMEX says 688 also.

applied for a Chase Freedom Unlimited Credit Card and was surprised i got denied because lack of credit history
any recommendation on cc?

Were you surprised of the denial because you do have CC history of at least one year? Do you have a banking relationship with Chase? How many open CC accounts do you currently have in total? How old is your oldest account? Chase is a conservative lender who likes to see at least one year of CC history in good standing before they extend you any credit, unless you have a banking relationship with them. Before you go on to apply for another CC, call the Chase reconsideration line and ask if they're willing to extend you credit. Plead your case. The number to call is 888-270-2127.

If that fails, you should then check prequalify links for Discover, AMEX, and Capital One. See if you're preapproved for any of those and do the app. They love to extend credit to new or very thin files.

Good luck.

Need a little advice -

My AMEX BCE has a $3800 balance on a $16.8K limit. Things have been a little tight so I haven’t been really making a dent and I’m essentially treading water by the interest sucking up most of the payment.

Looking into a balance transfer card to whittle down the amount. Don’t anticipate paying the entire $3500-4K in 15 months but should be able to get it down to ~$1500. If I’m granted a limit less than the AMEX balance and I fully transfer it over I know I’ll impact myself with 100% utilization. Seems like the prudent way to do it is if I get a healthy limit but not sure that will happen.

Current cards are
AMEX - $16.8
Credit One (yuck) - $1850
Secured Credit Union - $1K
Best Buy - $500

Depends on the source for my credit score, it’s all over the place. Credit Karma says 747, Credit One says 739, Discover Scorecard says 688 and AMEX says 688 also.

Discover scorecard gives your FICO 8 TU and AMEX gives your FICO 8 EX. Those are the scores 90% of lenders base their decisions on. CK and CO scores are worthless.

How long have you had the AMEX BCE? Since you're already in with AMEX (at least a year), check to see if you have any offers for the AMEX Everyday Credit Card. It offer $0 balance transfer fee and 15 months 0% APR. If it says you're preapproved, chances are you'll get it with a soft pull. If it says something like "Applying to expand your membership with us is easy...", expect a hard pull. Always expect a hard pull, though, but be happy if it's a soft pull.

Then I would look at the Chase Slate card for balance transfers. It has similar terms as AMEX.

The problem I see though is you may not get a high enough credit limit to make the transfer with Chase. AMEX you can always transfer available credit limits from one card to another.

Thanks for the response bro. Just a quick follow up question though

"Applying to expand your membership with us is easy...", expect a hard pull. Always expect a hard pull, though, but be happy if it's a soft pull..

Where would I be checking, the americanexpress.com website? I've had the card for 2 years.

Thanks for the response bro. Just a quick follow up question though

Where would I be checking, the americanexpress.com website? I've had the card for 2 years.

Yes, the AMEX website. From the drop down menu, click Cards > Personal Cards > Check for pre-qualified credit cards offers. If the Everyday Card pops up, click it and it should say [Name], youre preapproved! Chances are it'll be a soft pull, but be prepared for a hard pull. Also take into consideration your relationship with AMEX before you apply. Is your account in good standing? Ever miss a payment or had late payments? Do you make more than minimum payments or pay in full? Factor in all those things. Also check to see if there is balance transfer offer with the card you're applying for.

Good luck.

upload_2019-4-1_17-28-47.png

Looks like I should be good, thanks for helping a bro out my man :pimp:

upload_2019-4-1_17-28-47.png

Looks like I should be good, thanks for helping a bro out my man :pimp:

Glad I could help.

What does it say when you click apply now?

Also double check if you can do balance transfers from one AMEX product to another. It may only apply to balance transfers from other lenders. Call AMEX and find out.

I went ahead and applied and got it with a $2K limit with $1500 available for transfers. I actually can’t find my BCE because my 2 year old had my wallet but I know it’s in the house for sure but I couldn't due to not having the full # to enter.

I’m going to call and see if the rep can manually bump the limit a little but not a huge deal. If I can’t apply AMEX to AMEX I’ll just zero out my other cards and apply those payments to the new one.

I went ahead and applied and got it with a $2K limit with $1500 available for transfers. I actually can’t find my BCE because my 2 year old had my wallet but I know it’s in the house for sure but I couldn't due to not having the full # to enter.

I’m going to call and see if the rep can manually bump the limit a little but not a huge deal. If I can’t apply AMEX to AMEX I’ll just zero out my other cards and apply those payments to the new one.

Glad it worked out. You should call AMEX to transfer about $8,000 (or however much you want) in credit limit from the BCE to the ED card. Then you can transfer the entire balance to the AMEX Everyday Card from all your other cards.

Glad I could help.

What does it say when you click apply now?

Also double check if you can do balance transfers from one AMEX product to another. It may only apply to balance transfers from other lenders. Call AMEX and find out.

This. I'm pretty sure that when I opened this same card last October it stated that they would not accept transfers from other AMEX products. Like 90% sure that was the case.

This. I'm pretty sure that when I opened this same card last October it stated that they would not accept transfers from other AMEX products. Like 90% sure that was the case.
100% sure you can't

got approved for the everyday card for 10k limit instantly

didn't know they had referral, woulda asked for someones link so at least a NTer could eat and get money

I have just about every other card besides an Amex. Only reason I never did was cause I was churning and couldn’t use their rewards for cash. Gonna check some out

I don’t even use my chase freedom unlimited anymore. I’ve been using the BofA premium rewards card, just so easy to use since I already bank with BofA. But I’m slacking on getting chase points

Came here to post that my first cc I ever got expired and I got a new one in the mail. Never had a card (debit or cc) long enough that it actually expired I always lost them or something :lol: :lol:

Applied for another Amex CC, got approved 4k

14k between two cards with them :pimp:

need that 800 credit score
u can hit them up for multiple cards in 1 pull
that's how i got the gold charge card
blue everyday
and regular everyday cc

https://banking.citi.com/cbol/check...1&ProspectID=B8BC7D3796F1463B83A225E5FC3F5B44

Just signed up for this

I might get denied because of all the churning I was doing the past couple years. Got denied for a card in November and January so decided not to apply for anything this year. Thought it was gonna be an instant open but they have to approve me I guess

Was just looking for a high yield savings account and came across that

u can hit them up for multiple cards in 1 pull
that's how i got the gold charge card
blue everyday
and regular everyday cc
wish I knew that instead of doing multiple pulls

they must be handing these cards out like candy, been working on improving my mothers credit which has gone well and even added her to a few of my cards. just referred her for the everyday card, she got instantly approved for 10k :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom