27 Things You Had To Deal With As The Only Black Kid In Your Class

rell826

Banned
http://www.buzzfeed.com/hnigatu/27-things-you-had-to-deal-with-as-the-only-black-kid-in-your

Usually not a fan of Buzzfeed, but these were 100% on point with this especially as one of the few or the only black kid in most of my classes in college. I loved college but I will not miss these things at all especially being expected to represent the race in discussions.
2. People told you you "sounded white."
4. This happened at every party you went to.

6. You somehow became everyone's go-to black person.
10. "You know, I don't even really see you as black."
11. "She's pretty — for a black girl." / "He's cute — for a black guy."
13. There was that awkward moment in history class when you reached the topic of slavery and everyone turned to you:
21. Everyone was perfectly comfortable sticking their fingers all up in your hair.
25. When college acceptance letters came out, people started whispering...
laugh.gif
mean.gif

Went to a white school my entire life...Was that black kid that was cool with all whites cuz of sports, etc.

Saying that, I def know that feel lmao.

I see that a lot out here with the blacks... too bad I'm asian..

Let me add to number 21.

"How do you get your hair like that? Do you cut them into your hair?"
This is in reference to having waves.

Last edited:
I was the only black kid in my 5th grade class, there were only like 10 of us in the whole grade. I'll never forget that day we had our lesson on slavery, one of the most awkward moments in my life.

I was the only black kid in my 5th grade class, there were only like 10 of us in the whole grade. I'll never forget that day we had our lesson on slavery, one of the most awkward moments in my life.
BRO!!!!!!!!!!

I thought I was the only one.

Used to go to a horse back riding summer camp.  Me, my sister, and cousin, only black kids there.  Cousin played the role of the thug, with hood tales and they used to eat it up. Funny as.  I just chilled.  Only question I got asked was "does my hair get wet" (I had a box haircut back then).

SON REAL LIFE.

Everybody looks at you all nervous and I'm feeling so awkward but I was acting like it aint phase me by acting like I was sleep or sitting laid back with that "I don't eemm care" look lmao

Rearding the hair thing, I literally remember everyday all my white friends wanting to brush my hair when I was on my wave game. They acted like it was gold or something lmao. Good times dog

Last edited:
In highschool a white guy once told me with a straight face " I've never heard a black person read so well before"

:stoneface:

I still get the oh you sound white blah blah blah

Black chicks always hit me with the you look like you only date white chicks

[h1]21.  Everyone was perfectly comfortable sticking their fingers all up in your hair.[/h1]
Ow lawd.
mad.gif

"Feels like wool."

Last edited:
BRO!!!!!!!!!!

Reading Huckleberry Finn skipping over all the n words, wondering if you weren't in class would they still do this

:\

Last edited:
BRO!!!!!!!!!!
Reading Huckleberry Finn skipping over all the n words, wondering if you weren't in class would they still do this

ohwell.gif
Bro, I think we had very similar childhoods.

Then when someone accidently says the n word, everyone looks at you like you're supposed to be mad.

I'm sitting there like.
eyes.gif

Fried chicken day at school was always fun.

"Do you want me fried chicken?"

"How come they didn't give you two pieces?"

"How come you're not eating fried chicken?"

iy5Rg86vXOXzz.gif

Last edited:

iy5Rg86vXOXzz.gif
wait, where dey do dat at doe? i never had fried chicken day in school

^There's always that one white boy that says the N word on purpose too.
I didn't like that kid.

"So you don't care if I say the n word?"

"I do care, but not that much."

"So you won't hit me if I say the n word around you?"

"It depends on how you use it."

A few days later.

"what up my n word with an a."

iy5Rg86vXOXzz.gif

Last edited:
laugh.gif
Fried chicken in the dining hall made for some interesting times. Covertly put some in a to go box so I could eat it in my room.

iy5Rg86vXOXzz.gif
wait, where dey do dat at doe? i never had fried chicken day in school
At our school, we'd have "special lunches" on friday.

So for instance it could be mashed potatoes and gravy, enchaladias, or fried chicken.

You could get the regular lunch or you could get the special.

If you were black and you didn't get the lunch special when they were serving fried chicken.

Something was wrong with you.

So much sad truth to this, as it describes my kindergarten-grad school educational experiences

- You speak so well (I still hear this to this day). When I was younger I thought nothing of it, but as I got older, it made me think about the Chris Rock bit from "Bring the Pain" when he was talking the possibility of Colin Powell being the first black president

-Whenever the discussion of race came up in a class everyone would look at me for an answer.

- Teachers, classmates thinking I was the spokesperson for all black people

- How come you don't "act more black"

Back
Top Bottom