3/31-4/3 - Yankees v. Blue Jays - Bronx, NY

The weather is now less than promising, so says WCBS 880AM

smh.gif

yo if that squirrel shows up they better not ever leave that stadium .......

i'm so grouchy right now , how many of you guys have said to yourself " just my luck, it would rain today "

I HEAR BIRDS CHIRPING OUTSIDE, DOES THAT MEAN THE RAIN STOPPED ? I'M TOO DISTRAUGHT TO LOOK .......

* forgets to turn caps off *

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They need to give more frequent updates. I've always hated how they just said "delay now... stay tuned" and don't let you know what the heckis going on until like 2 hours later.
mad.gif

And yeah, I think he was joking. I didn't get it at first.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

YAyyy, another 3rd place finish for the Jays.

88ish wins, Halladay will be a beast as usual. The only players I look forward to watching are Halladay, McGowan and our best player, Alex Rios.

I think the Yankees will be in a tough battle for the Wild Card, it might take 96 or 97 wins to win the final spot.

always so pessimistic.
ALL of our bats other than Rios and Hill underachieved last season. There is NO WAY the entire rest of our lineup will slump likethat again. Also Shannon Stewart is back
smokin.gif

Burnett was beasting at the end of last season. BJ is back (knock on wood). Brandon League should be back.

losing Casey Janssen hurts though. and i'm not a fan of taking john mcdonald out of the infield. how good is eckstein as a fielder? i've never reallyfollowed him before

I figured they would let it go as long as they could before delaying it since it's opening day. I really didn't think it was raining that hard. Butthen again, I'm nowhere near a television.

There is no rain outside my house, and it hasn't been raining for maybe an hour (I'm in Queens).

I guess the Yankee brass wanted people to go home.

[h1]Final home opener at Yankee Stadium postponed until Tuesday because of rain[/h1]By MIKE FITZPATRICK, AP Baseball Writer

NEW YORK (AP)-The beginning of the end will have to wait.

The final opening day at Yankee Stadium was postponed because of rain Monday, pushing back New York's game against the Toronto Blue Jays.

The game was rescheduled for 7:05 p.m. on Tuesday, previously an off day in the series. Chien-Ming Wang had been slated to pitch for the Yankees on his 28th birthday against Toronto ace Roy Halladay.

New York owner George Steinbrenner showed up around noon for the 84th opening day at Yankee Stadium, but history was put on hold by a steady rain that washed away batting practice and the planned festivities.

The tarp remained on the field until the game was called at about 2:30 p.m. after a delay of approximately 85 minutes. Players never were introduced.

Next year, the Bronx Bombers will move into a $1.3 billion new Yankee Stadium, under construction just across 161st Street.

"You see the new stadium, but it still seems like that's years away, even though it's only one," Derek Jeter said. "Just 100 yards away? That's not too far for the ghosts to go."

The rain also delayed Joe Girardi's debut as Yankees manager. Girardi is taking over this season from his mentor, Joe Torre, who spent the past 12 years in charge.

Torre guided New York to the playoffs every season from 1996-2007 and won four World Series rings in his first five years. He walked away in the offseason when the club offered him just a one-year contract with a pay cut, then quickly was hired to manage the Los Angeles Dodgers.

The Yankees have won 10 consecutive home openers, the best run in franchise history and the longest active streak in the majors, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

"There's so many memories here that go beyond baseball," Jeter said.

The rainout means there still has never been a regular-season game in March at Yankee Stadium, christened by Babe Ruth's homer before 74,200 fans on opening day in 1923. The Yankees played at Shea Stadium, home of the Mets, from 1974-75 while Yankee Stadium was being remodeled.

Notes

Shannon Stewart was penciled in to start in left field for Toronto instead of Matt Stairs, who has a left hip flexor. Stairs was supposed to be available off the bench, and the Blue Jays said they don't plan to put him on the disabled list. "He feels really well right now so we'll see how he feels after he takes batting practice in the cage," general manager J.P. Ricciardi said. "Just go day to day right now." Stairs, who tested his sore hip during the team's workout Sunday, also had a hip problem last season. "This one might be a little bit more intense than the one last year," he said Sunday. "I just want to get that little clicking out of there that's catching when I run sometimes. It doesn't bother me on any swing, just running and lifting that leg up. You get a pinch once in a while." … The Yankees have won 15 of their past 16 home openers and 21 of 24.

You guys are right about the Blue Jays being the "darkhorse" the last couple years but they haven't come through because of injuries and such. Last year, like RELISH said, they had pretty much EVERYONE except Rios under achieve at the plate which isn't going to happen again this year. I don'treally blame Vernon Wells because he was playing hurt last year with that shoulder injury. I'm pissed that Rolen is already injured (he got started earlyon his yearly injury this year!! good for him!! good for him!! @%@**$ #!#+#@%...). However, I am SOO happy that Stewart is back, I was hoping for them to signhim the last two-three years; hopefully he does his thing this year with the regular .300 + average, 200+ hits, 10-15 HRs, 60-70 RBIs..... Man, I hope the Jaysfinally live up to expectations this year and at least be in the running for a playoff spot....

I was looking forward to the start of the season...I guess it will wait until tomorrow.

Whatta disaster
smh.gif

$14.75 spent and 3 hours in the cold wet rain later I'm home feeling like *%!+. They should've just played ball but at least I won't have to missclass tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom