48÷2(9+3) = ???

All this person http://inspectah-derek.niketalk.yuku.com/ is doing is providing links and INSERTING HIS OWN DUBIOUS CLAIMS trying to make them look like they were lifted from the site. I checked every link you posted and none of them showed "parentheses don't necessarily mean multiplication" and "Only if no operator (like +,-,*,/ etc) is before the brackets do they mean multiplication."

What a fraud.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by kingcrux31

Originally Posted by inspectah derek

Division sure is the inverse of multiplication. But parentheses don't necessarily mean multiplication.

Hsjmn.png

http://math.about.com/library/weekly/aa040502a.htm

Wrong.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

The operation MAY NOT call for multiplication but anything inside ( ) is always understood to be preceded by 1 (or -1, depending on the sign) unless a different number appears. 
You're just inserting "But parentheses don't necessarily mean multiplication" in your every quote when that phrase clearly DOES NOT EXIST in the links you provided.

The links provide the example problems that back up the claim that parentheses don't necessarily mean multiplication. Cause that's what you're supposed to do... you know, back up your claims. 288'ers have an abundance of sources. I haven't seen anything from you except your little drawings on paper and a pic of someone else's calculator. What else do you have? The purplemath.com lady?

All this person http://inspectah-derek.niketalk.yuku.com/ is doing is providing links and INSERTING HIS OWN DUBIOUS CLAIMS trying to make them look like they were lifted from the site. I checked every link you posted and none of them showed "parentheses don't necessarily mean multiplication" and "Only if no operator (like +,-,*,/ etc) is before the brackets do they mean multiplication."

What a fraud.
laugh.gif

Division sure is the inverse of multiplication. But parentheses don't necessarily mean multiplication.

Hsjmn.png

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

The operation MAY NOT call for multiplication but anything inside ( ) is always understood to be preceded by 1 (or -1, depending on the sign) unless a different number appears. 
You're just inserting "But parentheses don't necessarily mean multiplication" in your every quote when that phrase clearly DOES NOT EXIST in the links you provided.

The links provide the example problems that back up the claim that parentheses don't necessarily mean multiplication. Cause that's what you're supposed to do... you know, back up your claims. 288'ers have an abundance of sources. I haven't seen anything from you except your little drawings on paper and a pic of someone else's calculator. What else do you have? The purplemath.com lady?

Too bad your sources DO NOT back up your DUBIOUS claims.

Drawings? How old are you?
No multiplication here? 
(1+1+1) - (1+1+1) = ???

I bet you won't even answer because it totally destroys what you know.

Hsjmn.png

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Too bad your sources DO NOT back up your DUBIOUS claims.

Drawings? How old are you?
No multiplication here? 
(1+1+1) - (1+1+1) = ???

I bet you won't even answer because it totally destroys what you know.

Originally Posted by DanzInRealLife

Only if no operator (like +,-,*,/ etc) is before the brackets do they mean multiplication

So basically because there is no operator before the brackets in this equation, the 2 must multiply what's in the brackets in order to simplify the equation.

Therefore the equation is worked out like this:

48÷2(9+3)
48÷(18+6)
48÷24
= 2

Gotcha.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DanzInRealLife

Only if no operator (like +,-,*,/ etc) is before the brackets do they mean multiplication

So basically because there is no operator before the brackets in this equation, the 2 must multiply what's in the brackets in order to simplify the equation.

Therefore the equation is worked out like this:

48÷2(9+3)
48÷(18+6)
48÷24
= 2

Gotcha.
laugh.gif

Team 2 and Team 288, to quote the great Jay-Z:

'A wise man told me not to argue with fools, because people from a distance, can't tell who is who'

Point is, it's getting pointless. Nobody is changing anybody's minds. It's time to move on
laugh.gif

Team 2 and Team 288, to quote the great Jay-Z:

'A wise man told me not to argue with fools, because people from a distance, can't tell who is who'

Point is, it's getting pointless. Nobody is changing anybody's minds. It's time to move on
laugh.gif

The example problems in my sources don't explicitly back up my claims but they provide some evidence that do go against your claim that parentheses mean multiplication. There is no explicit multiplication in (1+1+1) - (1+1+1) and you're taking things crazy out of context. 

I didn't know that not paying attention in class and day dreaming can get you a bachelor's degree in International Business Management. (with honors at that)

You'll never see a problem written ÷(2(9+3)) because you never divide AND multiply.

Now who's the ignorant one?

http://niketalk.yuku.com/sreply/10756365/48-2-9-3- 

I counter your claim with the example problems I posted. You DO see problems written that way. http://niketalk.yuku.com/sreply/10756727/48-2-9-3-  

HUkoF.png

I'm not debating against other 2'ers because most of their methods are understandable. You on the other hand, your claims are just wild. If this is still on the front page tomorrow, I'll see you later.

The example problems in my sources don't explicitly back up my claims but they provide some evidence that do go against your claim that parentheses mean multiplication. There is no explicit multiplication in (1+1+1) - (1+1+1) and you're taking things crazy out of context. 

I didn't know that not paying attention in class and day dreaming can get you a bachelor's degree in International Business Management. (with honors at that)

You'll never see a problem written ÷(2(9+3)) because you never divide AND multiply.

Now who's the ignorant one?

http://niketalk.yuku.com/sreply/10756365/48-2-9-3- 

I counter your claim with the example problems I posted. You DO see problems written that way. http://niketalk.yuku.com/sreply/10756727/48-2-9-3-  

HUkoF.png

I'm not debating against other 2'ers because most of their methods are understandable. You on the other hand, your claims are just wild. If this is still on the front page tomorrow, I'll see you later.

eek.gif
sick.gif
laugh.gif

Maybe your brain can process this one. It's the same as the one above.

(1+1+1) - (2+2+2) = (1+1+1) + [-1(2)-1(2)-1(2)]= 

1 + 1 + 1 - 2 - 2 - 2

No multiplication, eh?

laugh.gif

eek.gif
sick.gif
laugh.gif

Maybe your brain can process this one. It's the same as the one above.

(1+1+1) - (2+2+2) = (1+1+1) + [-1(2)-1(2)-1(2)]= 

1 + 1 + 1 - 2 - 2 - 2

No multiplication, eh?

laugh.gif

^ That's improper. You'd complete the work inside the parentheses first, before you distribute.

The hell have you been?

^ That's improper. You'd complete the work inside the parentheses first, before you distribute.

The hell have you been?

Originally Posted by MrONegative

The hell have you been?

Same banana.
(1+1+1)-(2+2+2)

(3)-(6)

(3)+[-1(6)]

3+(-6)

3-6

= -3
(1+1+1) - (2+2+2) 
(1+1+1) + [-1(2)-1(2)-1(2)]

(1 + 1 + 1) + (- 2 - 2 - 2)

(3) + (-6)

3-6

= -3

The hell have you been?

Same banana.
(1+1+1)-(2+2+2)

(3)-(6)

(3)+[-1(6)]

3+(-6)

3-6

= -3
(1+1+1) - (2+2+2) 
(1+1+1) + [-1(2)-1(2)-1(2)]

(1 + 1 + 1) + (- 2 - 2 - 2)

(3) + (-6)

3-6

= -3

Same banana.
indifferent.gif
 That's the whole point of this thread.
And now you really are a troll.
So are you telling me that no multiplication is needed in the problems I provided?
You're the troll with your 3 useless posts here.

Same banana.
indifferent.gif
 That's the whole point of this thread.
And now you really are a troll.
So are you telling me that no multiplication is needed in the problems I provided?
You're the troll with your 3 useless posts here.

Back
Top Bottom