56 year old Detroit man walks about 21 miles per day to get to work...

If he can live off only making like $10/hr in this day in age, just take the $ and retire.

So he makes $10.55/hour in 2015.  Minimum wage is now $8.15/hour in Michigan.

His car quit running in 2005.  Minimum wage in Michigan was $5.15/hour at that time.

So I guess we can probably throw the "never got a raise" thing out the window, right?  :rolleyes

I mean maybe im missing something. what about his bills? cost of a used car, gas?

hes barely making anything. Im not sure of his living sitiatuon but its gotta be tough regardless. Even buying a old used car, what are you gonna do when its got issues that cost money?

I mean this story is hard to believe but meh

You didn't read any of the articles right?

140k will go a loooooong way for dude if it is managed by someone else, like what is alleged to happen.  The guy is in his 50's.  Get a reliable car and that 140k could easily pay for a car outright, pay insurance until he dies and still leave a grip for maintenance and whatever else came up.  

I can tell a lot of you dudes have never truly lived on your own and have paid for EVERYTHING.  Got dudes still on their parent's cell phone plans and insurance and ****.  :lol: :smh:  

I was referring prior to his gofund crap :lol:

I need some snow tires for this Michigan winter.... Anybody wanna fund me?

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motor...commute-get-a-surprise-new-car-201755338.html

See the Detroiter with 21-mile walking commute get a surprise new car
Justin Hyde
By Justin Hyde 2 hours ago Motoramic

James Robertson has been walking 21 miles to commute to work outside Detroit for nearly a decade — until today.

After his story became public last Sunday in the Detroit Free Press, an outpouring of support and donations culminated with Robertson taking the keys to a new Ford Taurus — one that he wasn't expecting to get when he walked into the Suburban Ford dealership in Sterling Heights, Mich., today.

"I don't like it," he told the dealer. "I love it."

Robertson's plight — and his committment to his job despite the hurdles he faced in getting to work — sparked a donation campaign that's raised $300,000 so far. More importantly, it's highlighted the troubles of workers like Robertson have in getting from the Detroit they love to the jobs they need. Already, the city of Detroit has promised to boost a program it has for giving public transit to people like Robertson; it had sat on more than $1 million in federal grants for years without using them until last year.

Several Detroit-area dealers offered Robertson the free use of a vehicle, but he specified a Ford Taurus, telling the Free Press: "It's simple on the outside and strong on the inside – like me."

Upon getting the car and the key, a dealership employee hopped in the passenger seat to help him get re-acclimated to driving (starting with a button now, and such.) Then Robertson left — because despite all the attention, he still had to get to his 2 p.m. factory shift on time, and nothing stops James Robertson.

Video: WXYZ-TV

View Comments (1427)
Find a Car
Make (e.g. Mazda) 
Model (e.g. CX-5) 
Share this

Recommended for You

Watch how one man built a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO in his chicken coop

Rod Tempero works out of a rickety old shed in Oamaru, New Zealand, stumbling over chickens and ducks as he hammers out sheet metal based on a hand-drawn picture on a chalkboard. This may not sound like a canvas for exquisite creations, and yet some of the world's best automotive replicas derive…
Motoramic

Worst of the Worst: 11 Most Epic Fails Of All Time

There are fails, then there are mega fails and then there are these. Here are a few epic fails that range from parenting faux pas to photoshop . . .
Answers LifestyleSponsored
How much would it cost for you to give up your car?

The tipping point to becoming a car user instead of a car owner is different for each one of us. So what would be that tipping point for you when it comes to money and convenience?
Motoramic
Driving Subaru's $250,000 STI rally car, the fastest on snow, ice and Earth

A short while ago I did a story about competing in my first ever stage rally. I got cold and muddy, but despite racing a near bone-stock 2009 Honda Fit – which at 117 hp was about as powerful as a slug – I had the time of my life. Only I couldn’t help but wonder what it would be like to drive…
Motoramic
Apple's mystery van driving around San Fran? Don't bet on a self-driving car

A Dodge Grand Caravan with mysterious sensors on its roof sets off some questions — especially when it belongs to Apple.
Motoramic
February 4: Ford buys Lincoln on this date in 1922

This photo amazes me. That's of course Henry Ford standing on the left, who in 1922 was America's most successful industrialist. Next to him stands Henry Leland, the 78-year-old founder of Cadillac, with his son Wilfred seated in front of him. The pair had left General Motors in protest to build…
Motoramic
22 Mind-Blowing Machines

To start here, you're looking at a dual jet-engine-water-gun-tank for putting out oil fires. Crazy.
Brainjet.comSponsored
Fewer drinking and driving, but marijuana use up

The number of drivers with alcohol in their system has dropped, but there was a hefty increase in the number with illegal drugs in their systems.
CNBC22 mins ago
10 horrible decisions that will mess up your car insurance

Here are 10 common scenarios that Insure.com readers often ask about. If any of these hit close to home, quickly fix the issue before you get in a pickle.
Insure.com40 mins ago
Watch a Lamborghini Aventador Turn a Tunnel Into a Firing Chamber

Alex Penfold is good at photography. Specifically, he’s good at auto photography. If there’s a recent supercar out there, Alex probably has a beautifully set, beautifully lit shot of it. He recently had the pleasure of using this insanely cool satin chrome Lamborghini Aventador as a subject. In…
Boldride
The real cost of repairing an aluminum-bodied 2015 Ford F-150

A sledgehammer can be an attention-getting device—especially when a prominent media outlet thuds one into the best-selling vehicle in America. The goal of a recent Edmunds.com video was to see wh...
ConsumerReports.org
Take a Lumosity Fit Test

Take a 10 minute Lumosity Fit Test. Challenge your Memory, Attention, and more.
LumositySponsored
Would You Pay $1.5 Million for This Ford Escape?

If you have any common sense, that may sound like the dumbest question in the universe. Of course you wouldn’t pay £1 million (approx. $1.5 million) for a lowly Ford Escape. That is, unless it were covered head to tire in diamonds. At least that’s what one dealership thinks. According to AM Online,…
Boldride
2016 Acura MDX Preview

While it is unchanged from a styling perspective, the 2016 Acura MDX receives a significant number of updates for the new model year, including a new 9-speed automatic transmission and a new all-wheel-drive system.
J.D. Power and Associates
New for 2015: Mazda

With few exceptions, 2015 is a year of transition for Mazda, as the company unveiled redesigned versions of a couple of its key players for the 2014 model year and has already announced plans for all-new and totally revamped 2016 models. Find out what's new for the entire 2015 Mazda lineup...
J.D. Power and Associates
Take a POV Ride With a Bike Inside A Mall

Bikes—petrol or people powered—are always exciting to watch when under the bums of two-wheel masters. Oftentimes, many of us never have the luxury, or the opportunity, of tackling one of today’s best modern playgrounds: the
RideApart.com
You Had One Job and You Couldn't Do it!

Sometimes people just can NOT do their jobs right. Check out these Architecture FAILS.
BuzzlieSponsored
Midlife crisis cars: Men want black & sporty, women want red & practical

You see it all the time: middle-aged men (and occasionally, women) driving sleek, sexy sports cars or brawny motorcycles. The disconnect between the drivers' midlife gravitas and the vehicles' juvenile showiness can be jarring.
High Gear Media
Jeep's currency play: How Renegade stands to gain

The new Jeep Renegade, which is produced in Europe and sold predominantly in the U.S., is poised to reap the benefits of a strong dollar.
CNBC
Shed-Built 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO Replica Is Pure Art: Video

A Ferrari 250 GTO is a glorious automobile that also happens to be actual rolling artwork. A builder in New Zealand, however, might be crafting the best replica examples on the planet. Based out of little more than a glorified shed in Oamaru, New Zealand, is the workshop of Rod Temporo.
MotorAuthority
Naked Nissan LMP1 Race Car Is A Punk Hot Rod From The Future

Nissan is venturing into the Le Mans world with its all-new GT-R LM Nismo LMP1 prototype racer. Nissan revealed the car completely when it ran its recent Super Bowl ad, and we'll get to see it in the flesh at the Chicago Auto Show.
MotorAuthority
18 Pictures That Make You Look Twice

Sometimes things don't quite look like what they seem at first. These might need a second glance to figure out what they really are.
Answers Did You KnowSponsored
Victory Charger Could Be the First Electric Motorcycle from Polaris

Less than a month has passed since Polaris acquired electric motorcycle manufacturer Brammo and the first bike to come out of that partnership may already be in the works. Recently, Polaris filed for a trademark on a new bike that is specifically listed as an electric motorcycle. According to…
Boldride
Koenigsegg Regera Will Be Sweden’s Newest ‘Megacar’

We all know Koenigsegg, and we all know the Agera. And for the past few years, the Swedish manufacturer has been dishing out some very special special editions of its famed hypercar. But something new is on a horizon — the Regera. No details have been given on what the entirely new vehicle will…
Boldride
Recruiters Offered NFL Star Michael Irvin a Camaro While in High School

National signing day was this week, and, yes, Snoop Dogg’s son Cordell Broadus announced he’s going to play alongside Diddy’s son at UCLA. To talk about the recruits, the recruitment process, and the Super Bowl, all-time great Michael Irvin hit up the Dan Patrick Show for a quick interview. Near…
Boldride
Learn More About
2014 Ford Taurus
2014 Ford Taurus

$

MSRP

hp

19 city

29 hwy

Cars Similar To
2014 Ford Taurus

2015 Ford Edge
2015 Ford Edge


MSRP $N/A
2015 Ford Fusion
2015 Ford Fusion


MSRP $22,500
2014 Ford Edge
2014 Ford Edge


MSRP $28,100

What to read next

1949 Talbot Lago T26 Grand Sport SWB par Saoutchik
27 Family Photos That Went Very Wrong Sponsored Brainjet.com 
Top 10 least expensive coupes for 2015
Stunning 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO replica
1939 Alfa Romeo 6C2500 at RM Auctions
Ford Focus RS: First Look Yahoo Autos
Subaru's $250,000 championship-winning rally car: First Drive
2015 BMW X6M: First Drive

Free Dealer Quotes
Select Make
Select Model

Last edited:
I hate to say it son will be robbed before the year is up. He said he not moving, too many people know how much money he has now. Or that car will disappear.

I hate to say it son will be robbed before the year is up. He said he not moving, too many people know how much money he has now. Or that car will disappear.
O yea he gonna get robbed you are correctly right, In detroit there isnt nothingbut haters who dont want to see you do well. They will steal that car and or rob him. its almost a given.. Somebody will or he will get shaked down
OMG Im hating.. Dude got over 300k in his gofund me and a brand new car!  Im morre heated the a sauna
mad.gif

So this thread is now about counting his pockets since some don't agree on how he hasn't found a semi more efficient way of getting to work?.. He prolly sleeps on the bus so that adds to the 2 )ours

National signing day was this week, and, yes, Snoop Dogg’s son Cordell Broadus announced he’s going to play alongside Diddy’s son at UCLA. To talk about the recruits, the recruitment process, and the Super Bowl, all-time great Michael Irvin hit up the Dan Patrick Show for a quick

Is all I got from that article

I'm going to be that dude and we should turn this into a white people appreciation thread .. Did u all see the article about the white lady in Texas giving the other lady a car

Saw on the news this morning dude became a target so they had to move him out of his rooming board house into a safer neighborhood

Dude got well over 300k..  and a brand new ford

On a side note GoFundMe should really start some sort of student loan/debt rescue program. All these people offer like 5 dollars to a random person every week and you can free them of debt.

If every NT account did it for the members of the site we could save lives.

On a side note GoFundMe should really start some sort of student loan/debt rescue program. All these people offer like 5 dollars to a random person every week and you can free them of debt.

This is actually a good idea.  

Do you think NT can step up and help each other out?

This is actually a good idea.  

Do you think NT can step up and help each other out?

got dudes putting up their gofundme links on their sigs like their twitter handle :lol:

I see that getting taken advantage of very quickly. Besides, people want feel good stories. Regular folks don't get helped

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom