66 Billion Dollars with no college degree is unreal right Vol. Richest Man in America

College? Lol.

I been in IT since 17.

The experience gained in those years> a degree.

I do hold multiple certs, though.

you'll notice that the job said aa or ba. So same for other engineer level jobs.

You really think that evry engineer out there is building powerplants, and inventing x-ray machines? No, most are being trained on the job to oversee processes that have been implemented by others. Intrinsically such lines of work do not require all the bells and whistles of a 4yr degree.

laugh all you want that's a 60k job out the gate?????
Sorry I meant the ones ACTUALLY building power plants. That being said, someone with a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering is clearly getting that job over someone without. If he can't get a better engineering job. That job description is NOT engineering. It's like the difference between operating a fork-lift and designing the parts of one. 2 different things.

^correct. I have a friend in Brazil who's doing petroleum engineering with no bachelors.
In a lot of foreign countries kids are recruited for good jobs out of highschool and given apprenticeship and job training. Especially in minning, drilling, manufacturing type heavy industries. And a lot of times their job experience can be converted to education credits.

he is in no way saying people shouldn't go to college or that college isn't necessary. all he's saying is that employers shouldn't automatically dismiss people who apply just because they don't have a college degree. he's saying employers should at least give them a chance to prove themselves

so it weeds out the people who really want to do the job?
thats the problem lets say you need a 4 year degree to be a manager at a retail business

theres 2 candidates one has been working there since 16-21 and has a lot of experience throughout the store

the other is a 21 year old fresh out of college with no work experience

these 2 clearly had different situations and yet the guy who entered the work force early and has way more experience will not get the position

because he doesnt have a degree

whats your thoughts on that?

you'll notice that the job said aa or ba. So same for other engineer level jobs.

You really think that evry engineer out there is building powerplants, and inventing x-ray machines? No, most are being trained on the job to oversee processes that have been implemented by others. Intrinsically such lines of work do not require all the bells and whistles of a 4yr degree.

laugh all you want that's a 60k job out the gate?????
Sorry I meant the ones ACTUALLY building power plants. That being said, someone with a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering is clearly getting that job over someone without. If he can't get a better engineering job. That job description is NOT engineering. It's like the difference between operating a fork-lift and designing the parts of one. 2 different things.
Sure an that is fair, if you want to sign off on plans and whatnot. But you don't have to have a bs to be foreman of the crew responsible for erecting the silo, you could potentially be the contractor and not have a degree and still make a killing off of the job. But you'll probably need a degree to be the architecht and the scientist designing the plant.

but you won't need a degree to:

-draw the blueprints

-survey the site

-lay the brick and scaffolding

-oversee the logistics

-do paralegal work

-monitor the plant when it is completed

-do quality assurance studies

I totally agree with you but I differ in saying that a lot of jobs are tagged as degree only when they realistically shouldn't.

Last edited:
so it weeds out the people who really want to do the job?
thats the problem lets say you need a 4 year degree to be a manager at a retail business

theres 2 candidates one has been working there since 16-21 and has a lot of experience throughout the store

the other is a 21 year old fresh out of college with no work experience

these 2 clearly had different situations and yet the guy who entered the work force early and has way more experience will not get the position

because he doesnt have a degree

whats your thoughts on that?
I think that's tragic, and I have a problem with that. That's why, hopefully, the retail outfit you are working for has some sort of managerial training program that allows early entrants to progress through the ranks.

College? Lol.

I been in IT since 17.

Yea so you have formal training although its not a bachelors you had a plan and got the training you needed. Some professions are simply more competitive, they need some sort of system that acts as a weed out process.

Across the board things are getting tougher and more competitive, and everyone suffers from top to bottom. A kid with a bachelors may have to settle for jobs he may have been underqualified for 10 years ago, and those without degrees also suffer cause they lose their jobs to college grads.

Last edited:
College? Lol.

I been in IT since 17.

Yea so you have formal training although its not a bachelors you had a plan and got the training you needed. Some professions are simply more competitive, they need some sort of system that acts as a weed out process.

Across the board things are getting tougher and more competitive, and everyone suffers from top to bottom. A kid with a bachelors may have to settle for jobs he may have been underqualified for 10 years ago, and those without degrees also suffer cause they lose their jobs to college grads.
I CAN RESPECT THIS STATEMENT.

But, the college process is not really helpful then cause all it is doing is churning out graduates with debt and underperforming degrees?

I think Edward Snowden is a good example for this thread.

Top Secret clearance with ged and no degree

I think what it boils down to is that the educational system needs to be restructured. While the things they teach are ok, in order to compete w/ today and the future, kids should be being taught more. We still have summer vacation when 98% of the kids in school don't live on a farm so they don't need that much time off. Then when school starts back up, one month of the new year is spent recapping would should've been taught last year.

Technical schools are doing somethin right but I think it should be done on a more broad scale; teach the skills. Why should a kid in mechanical engineering have to learn English comp for his major

Restructure the education system and we would see better results.

this....

but, I have to disagree. a lot of ivy league kids, and mit types are actually supersmart. And the coursework at some of those schools is way ahead of what you get at a 'fresno state'. It's more than reputation...in my estimation, especially when it comes to the heavier majors.

e.g. at fresno state you might get a regular joe professor teaching you a programming class. at a harvard you might get the guy who came up with the programming language teaching you the class. 
But yet that still eludes to my point... if your at a ivy school chances are you have the $$$ and the connections to create a job/business. Trust and believe the community college dude could do the same thing but do to limited finances, and not being around the right ppl to place them in the positions...all they have is a dream deferred and end up going to work for someone.

Not saying the guys at MIT are dumb.... but chances are they are in money, well connected, and have ppl around them to place them in the position to start up a company etc...

The guy at the local college working 2 part time jobs and around ppl with no juice and no connections...doesn't really have the same shot/opportunities. 

this....

but, I have to disagree. a lot of ivy league kids, and mit types are actually supersmart. And the coursework at some of those schools is way ahead of what you get at a 'fresno state'. It's more than reputation...in my estimation, especially when it comes to the heavier majors.

e.g. at fresno state you might get a regular joe professor teaching you a programming class. at a harvard you might get the guy who came up with the programming language teaching you the class. 
But yet that still eludes to my point... if your at a ivy school chances are you have the $$$ and the connections to create a job/business. Trust and believe the community college dude could do the same thing but do to limited finances, and not being around the right ppl to place them in the positions...all they have is a dream deferred and end up going to work for someone.

Not saying the guys at MIT are dumb.... but chances are they are in money, well connected, and have ppl around them to place them in the position to start up a company etc...

The guy at the local college working 2 part time jobs and around ppl with no juice and no connections...doesn't really have the same shot/opportunities. 
I think that is partly true, but I would also say that the quality of business ideas is different. The smarter kids are purely creating new ideas. The cc type kids might have great ideas about starting up a business based on ideas that already exist.

e.g. Starting an a electrical services business vs. creating electrical circuits that require less energy and cost 50% less to produce.

Don't sleep on these mit types, once you get in the same room as them you'll realize that it's more than just money or family connections. There are some really smart people out there man.

if dudes at a cc can do this more power to them.

http://mitadmissions.org/blogs/entry/50_things_that_mit_made

**on a sidenote people who brag about not going to college are just as unbearable as those who brag about going to college.

Last edited:
kanye west is college dropout
if only ye thought of this first
5159d1368051191-ferrari-unemployed-license-plate-82d50485-da77-4380-82b6-84d8180d5ff4-48698286-ba75-4fbd-b6bd-9cfcaf7e7192-dropout-medium.jpg

Meh it depends on what you're going to college for. A lot of people in this day and age just go to college, do the curriculum, get their degree, and expect people to fall down hiring them because of their degrees. I know, especially for the field I'm going into, I need to network and build up my skill set in order to get the job I want. So while I'm in college, I'm taking the classes where the professors work in the field they teach, asking questions/building relationships after class, and doing a major load of interships before I graduate. This way I can get my name out there, get my foot in the door, and have a leg up on someone because I have both a degree AND experience. 

Meh it depends on what you're going to college for. A lot of people in this day and age just go to college, do the curriculum, get their degree, and expect people to fall down hiring them because of their degrees. I know, especially for the field I'm going into, I need to network and build up my skill set in order to get the job I want. So while I'm in college, I'm taking the classes where the professors work in the field they teach, asking questions/building relationships after class, and doing a major load of interships before I graduate. This way I can get my name out there, get my foot in the door, and have a leg up on someone because I have both a degree AND experience. 
some truth to this...

but you're probably social sciences right?

some truth to this...

Nope art major, more specifically Industrial Design with a minor in Computer Science. I want to be a Game Designer/Concept Artist. 

(Actually I want to be a lot of things but this is what I'm focusing on in college right now)

Last edited:
I dropped out of college and I do better that everyone my age that I know personally.

some truth to this...

Nope art major, more specifically Industrial Design with a minor in Computer Science. I want to be a Game Designer/Concept Artist. 

(Actually I want to be a lot of things but this is what I'm focusing on in college right now)
soft science i guess...same line. And I wish you success.

it could be argued that most game designers never even finished college, and some who did?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_Bleszinski

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/paul-hellquist/7/443/0  (anthropology????)

If you can go to college do so. If you're an outlier like Gates and can be successful without a degree, do it. If you're not, stay and get your degree.

If you can't go to college, and if you're not an outlier, then I think what Gates is proposing is for you.

Back
Top Bottom