7/27 WWE Smackdown - Bryan v Kane v Del Rio v Mysterio #1 Contender Match for Sheamus @ Summerslam

chest protector D'lo is one of my favorites from the Attitude Era

along with

Late 1998/Early 1999 Heel Rock

Heel Undertaker

Kurt Angle

Stone Cold

so many damn memories. got me hyped for WWE 13, every year I end up with mostly Attitude Era CAWS now I'mma have the ultimate universe
pimp.gif
Whoever is in the game from attitude era rumored to be like 32,attitude era arenas, created attitude arenas,caws etc. its going to be sick

Last edited:
WWE '12 was a fantastic wrestling game. Other than the servers which I cannot describe how bad it was.
Agreed.

I had a blast playing WWE '12, but the craptastic servers sucked all the fun out of the game.

Hopefully they addressed the server issues with WWE '13.

I said I wouldn't buy another WWE game but **** WWE '13 looks dope.

*prepares self to be endlessly annoyed by dated RAW stage, and dated themes/attire*

i see your point but its really not a deal breaker to me. wwe wouldn't be able to get permission to use the wwf scratch logo and just the current wwe scratch logo wouldn't distinguish the atttitude era stuff from the current wwe .

i actually like the yellow/blue block logo but yes your right it isn't true to the attitude era.
either way im gonna be copping when released just because of the attitude era. it's gonna be the first wrestling game ive bought since svr 2008 
smokin.gif

There is no reason wrestling games should be released every year. That is just robbery.
Agreed.
[h1]OP-ED: Why Videogames Can Never Fully Capture the Wonderful World of Pro Wrestling[/h1][h4]The objectives of pro wrestlers and videogame players are at odds with one another.[/h4]
By Chris Pereira, 07/26/2012

media

Professional wrestling is fake. This we all (I hope) know, although the existence of Internet ads teasing an answer to the question of 'Are WWE fights staged?' makes me hesitant to assume anything. I bring this fact up not to spark a debate about how some aspects of wrestling truly are real (there's a reason WWE doesn't let guys hit each other in the head with chairs anymore), but as the reason for why wrestling simulation videogames can never hope to fully recreate wrestling. How can a scripted sporting event be acted out without all of its participants being in on the ruse?

I tend to be fairly good at wrestling games, at least when it comes to squaring off against the AI. Over time I learn what works and what doesn't, and pretty quickly I find myself with ability to take down a computer opponent without him getting much offense in, if any at all. In professional wrestling such a match would be called a squash. Squashes do have their purpose, as they can be used to establish an individual as being dominant and help him or her to stand out in some way. But this is thankfully not the formula followed by your average match, or else wrestling would get boring in a big hurry.

Those who don't follow wrestling closely and think little goes into the planning of a match would be mistaken -- there is a lot more going on than opponents exchanging punches and suplexes in the middle of the ring. Psychology plays a significant role, with wrestlers seeking to elicit reactions from the crowd at certain times. Your typical match will see the good guy (the "face") take an extended beating from the bad guy (the "heel") at some point before making a comeback. A tag team match will invariably see this sequence play out where one member of the face team get beaten up before finally tagging in his partner (a "hot tag") who then runs wild and takes out both opponents. Submissions are worked in to give the wrestlers a breather, and various high spots (say, a big move off the top rope) are thrown in from time to time to keep things exciting.

With the benefit of knowing what the finish of a match will be, the participants know what direction to work in and can tease things accordingly. This might mean one guy jumps off the top rope and tweaks a knee that ends up costing him the match or is used as deception to throw off the opposition, or it could mean the referee takes a hit and is not there to do his job at a critical moment. The overriding point is that cooperation by everyone involved is key. None of this would be possible if the wrestlers in the match were actually acting as if they were really in a fight.

In an unscripted videogame, anything can happen. For any other sport this would not be an issue -- nobody knows how things will go and there is nothing in particular that needs to be accomplished, as is the case in a wrestling match -- and in fact that unpredictability is one of the strengths of sports and sports videogames. However, this doesn't work quite so well when trying to simulate a pro wrestling match because there is a disconnect between what wrestlers and players want. Wrestlers want to put on as good a show as possible, something which hinges on all of the participants "selling," or making their opponent's moves look effective. Players, on the other hand, want to win at all costs. So unless players are willing to follow a script instead of relentlessly beating up their opponent, the end result may look more like a boring squash match than your classic Wrestlemania main event.

media

WWE likes to avoid classifying itself as wrestling -- CM Punk, who is positioned as the guy who speaks his mind and is the "voice of the voiceless," makes it a point of using the term 'professional wrestling' liberally -- instead preferring to use terms like 'sports entertainment' and 'superstars.' But it is pro wrestling, regardless of how much that rubs its monarch, Vince McMahon, the wrong way, and that means its line of THQ-published videogames faces these problems just as WCW/NWO Revenge, No Mercy, and Raw all did before it. Except now, with the game inching closer and closer toward looking and sounding like the real-life thing (save for the "oh my God!" chant seen in the latest WWE '13 trailer -- never have I heard a crowd opt to chant that in lieu of the classic "ho-ly ****!"), this is more of an issue than ever before.

When I've invariably run into the scenario I laid out above, where I find myself defeating AI opponents without getting a scratch myself, turning up the difficulty seems like the obvious solution. (Simply playing against other humans is not always an option, as few of my friends continue to care for wrestling and the online support in the Smackdown vs. Raw/WWE franchise is notoriously bad. It's also not an option for the single-player story content.) Jacking up the difficulty tends to result in a frustrating experience where the AI can counter nearly every move of yours. An alternative approach I've tried is to drag out the length of matches; sometimes in the context of the story it makes sense for a beating to last for a long time. What this does is provide the AI with the opportunity to get the upper hand and get some offense in without me deliberately allowing it to do so. Where this goes wrong is when I've spent the better part of 25 minutes kicking the crap out of my opponent who is able to do just enough damage and pin me, which means I need to repeat the entire match if it's one the story requires me to win.

The entire notion of telling a story in a wrestling game is problematic in the first place due to the need for a certain outcome to be reached. This requires players to either continually repeat a match over and over until they win, or it means doing what we've seen in years past, which is having a cutscene take control and push things in the right direction. The latter, while effective, has always felt unfair and out of place inside of a videogame that otherwise provides complete freedom, even if it is a videogame based on a fake sport. According to what we've already heard about WWE '13, THQ appears to be trying to work around this by implementing an objective system, which is perhaps an acknowledgement on their part that it's just not possible to provide players with the freedom to wrestle a match as they see fit and still arrive at a single destination (at least not without a very extensive branching storyline, something that currently isn't in the cards).

One new feature in WWE '13 that may mitigate the problem with the wrestling itself is the Match Experience option. This allows players (or the developers in the story mode) to select from different options that affect the pacing of the match. In theory, by selecting options conducive to a longer bout, there would be more opportunity for you and the computer to get in your respective offenses without running into a situation like the one I found myself in where you can easily lose even after unleashing an all-time ***-whipping. Whether it actually works out like that or ends up shortening or extending the length of your squash matches remains to be seen.

I'm looking forward to seeing WWE '13 as a finished product and whether it manages to tackle any of these problems effectively; at the very least, it could make the journey through storylines smoother than in years past. As for the wrestling itself, the best approach could be to look at the games more like beat-em-ups starring WWE wrestlers than a simulation of the real deal. For a proper pro wrestling experience, it might be better to follow the advice of the company's PSAs and not try this at home.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
at the "Oh my God" chant at the end of the trailer.

Last edited:
I always thought Konna was a good wrestler. Very athletic considering his size. Knowledgable move set, especially in the submission department. And his finisherS were arguably the best in the business. His Tequila Sinrise, Montezuma'z Revenge (modified fisherman buster. Call it a cradle DDT), and his Splash Mountain (he called it the power drop). So yea, Konnan could get down man. You talked about Eddie/Rey making him look better, well those were during the days of WCW going downhill. Catch Konnan from 95-97.
Here are probably the 3 first matches I think of when I think of his WCW run

Konan vs Jushin "Thunder" Liger-WCW United... by TSteck160

Konan vs Psychosis-Mexican Heavyweight title by TSteck160

Konan vs Juventud Guerrera-Mexican Heavyweight... by TSteck160

Dooley noted. That Psychosis match will be the first I watch. Him and Juvi were probably my favorite CW's around that time.

And yea Liquid Swords, was a fan D'Lo fan, especially around that time. Always thought it was cool how the Nation all gradually started developing their own personalities within the group.

Just got finished watching Sabu and Sandman kill one another in that ladder and table match at November to Remember 97. Dude's were on another level

I was dying when they asked him that.

Cole:"Booker, he asked you a question."
Booker: "That's a stupid question."

:rofl: :rofl:

^Man that was hilarious :lol: Booker tried to cover up being stumped

:x I don't remember Ken Shamrock being this bad at promos. The crowd + Jerry Lawler's commentary made it :rofl:

Last edited:
^Man that was hilarious
laugh.gif
Booker tried to cover up being stumped
sick.gif
I don't remember Ken Shamrock being this bad at promos. The crowd + Jerry Lawler's commentary made it
roll.gif
[if IE]><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="640" height="390" /><![endif]

and people question why shamrock was never pushed to main event status. that and flimsy ring work
sick.gif

Owen was that dude, I know he won't be in wwe 13 unfortuntely but he's definately one of the top priorities for caw downloading
pimp.gif
to me owen was neck and neck with bret in the ring and had more charisma, mic skills

^Completely agree about Owen. even though he didn't get nearly the shine as Bret, I've always preferred him over Bret.

This guy Shamrock :lol: Didn't know he was a turd on the mic, but him in the ring was either 0 or 100, no in between. I do remember him being as popular as a lot of those vids show, but his mic skills were NOT gonna let him move up :lol:.

^Completely agree about Owen. even though he didn't get nearly the shine as Bret, I've always preferred him over Bret.
This guy Shamrock :lol: Didn't know he was a turd on the mic, but him in the ring was either 0 or 100, no in between. I do remember him being as popular as a lot of those vids show, but his mic skills were NOT gonna let him move up :lol:.

Shelton Benjamin learned well.

I see a GHIMS/Hymen feud down the road.

The question is, how can i sell hiptosses during an entire match?

Saw this posted on another board as a way to rehab Jack Swagger.  Seems like great idea to me.

Have him in the ring being a goof ball after losing a match to a nobody. Jim Ross comes out. Calls out Swagger for being a disappointment. Similar to the way that Foley lit a fire under Edge before his Hell In A Cell match with Taker, Ross serves the same purpose.

Have Swagger start from the bottom up on Smackdown. (Not that brands matter.) Destroying lower card guys with a new found intensity, going undefeated, ripping his opponents ankles off. Over months he rises up the ranks destroying people who are higher up the card, until eventually seeds are planted for him and Sheamus to face off for the World Heavyweight Championship.

Back
Top Bottom