7 Foods So Unsafe Even Farmers Won't Eat Them

[h3]1. Canned Tomatoes[/h3]
The Expert: Fredrick vom Saal, PhD, an endocrinologist at the University of Missouri who studies bisphenol-A.
The Reason: Tin cans are lined with a resin that contains the synthetic estrogen bisphenol-A,which has been linked to a slew of health problems including heartdisease, diabetes, reproductive problems, and obesity. But that's notthe biggest problem. The acid in tomatoes breaks down that bisphenol-A,leaching it into the food, and not just in insignificant amounts.According to the article, Saal comments that "you can get 50 mcg of BCAper liter out of a tomato can, and that's a level that is going toimpact people, particularly the young." That's why he's not touchingthe stuff.
The Solution: If you lo0ve the taste of "canned" tomatoes but prefer to skip the bisphenol-A, select glass bottles instead.
[h3]2. Corn-Fed Beef[/h3]
The Expert: Joel Salatin, co-owner of Polyface Farms and author of half a dozen books on sustainable farming.
The Reason: Cattle are naturally grass eaters... notgrain eaters. In order to fatten the animals (and profit margins),farmers feed them corn and soybeans. And while the farmers are beefingup their earnings, they are minimizing the nutritional benefits. Thearticle mentions the findings from a recent USDA-conducted studycomparing corn-fed beefand grass-fed beef showing that grass-fed beef is "higher inbeta-carotene, vitamin E, omega-3s, conjugated linoleic acid (CLA),calcium, magnesium, and potassium; lower in inflammatory omega-6s; andlower in saturated fats that have been linked to heart disease."
The Solution: Pretty straight forward: Opt for grass-fed beef instead.

play-button-icon.png
WATCH VIDEO: Why Grass-Fed Beef? Emeril Answers
[h3]3.Microwave Popcorn[/h3]
The Expert: Olga Naidenko, PhD, a senior scientist for the Environmental Working Group.
The Reason: It's not the popcorn itself, but thechemically-saturated lining of the bag including a compound calledperfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) that, according to a recent study fromUCLA, may be linked to infertility. Microwaving vaporizes the chemicalsas they move from coating the bag to lining the popcorn. But it's notlike this fact is un-acknowledged. In fact the article points out thatDuPont, as well as other manufacturers, have "promised to phase outPFOA by 2015 under a voluntary EPA plan, but millions of bags ofpopcorn will be sold between now and then."
The Solution: Pop your own popcorn the way they did it in the olden days--in a pot.
[h3]4. Conventionally Grown (Not Organic) Potatoes[/h3]
The Expert: Jeffrey Moyer, chair of the National Organic Standards Board.
The Reason: Herbicides and pesticides may not besprayed directly on root vegetables (since they're underground), butthey absorb the chemicals through the soil and water. Because potatoesare considered the nation's most popular vegetable, producing a healthycrop is essential to keep up with demand. In order to maintain theirhealth, the article exposes the scary fact that "they're treated withfungicides during the growing season, then sprayed with herbicides tokill off the fibrous vines before harvesting. After they're dug up, thepotatoes are treated yet again to prevent them from sprouting." Buthere's the scary thing, Moyer says that he's talked to potato growers"who say point-blank they would never eat the potatoes they sell. Theyhave separate plots where they grow potatoes for themselves without allthe chemicals."
The Solution: Another no-brainer— Only buy organic potatoes.
[h3]5. Farmed Salmon[/h3]
The Expert: David Carpenter, MD, director of theInstitute for Health and the Environment at the University at Albanyand publisher of a major study in the journal Science on contaminationin fish.
The Reason: When salmon is crammed into pens, fed soy,poultry litter, and hydrolyzed chicken feathers (obviously an unnaturalenvironment for the up-stream swimmers), they're levels of healthyvitamin D lowers as the contaminants increases. Those contaminantsinclude carcinogens, PCBs, brominated flame ******ants, and pesticides(like DDT). The article points out that DDT has been linked to bothdiabetes and obesity, quoting Carpenter in saying that "You can onlysafely eat one of these salmon dinners every 5 months withoutincreasing your risk of cancer... It's that bad."
The Solution: Avoid farmed salmon and instead select wild-caught Alaskan salmon. But make sure the packaging reads "wild." If it just says "fresh Atlantic," according to the article, "it's farmed."
[h3]6. Milk Produced with Artificial Hormones[/h3]
The Expert: Rick North, project director of theCampaign for Safe Food at the Oregon Physicians for SocialResponsibility and former CEO of the Oregon division of the AmericanCancer Society.
The Reason: Unlike in the olden days when fresh milkwas some of the purest nutrients you could get, dairy cows today arefed growth hormones like rBGH and rBST to increase milk production.Problem is, while they may be making more milk, they are alsoincreasing their chances of udder infections (which can lead to pus inthe milk). More than that, the article points out that high levels ofIGF-1 from the rBGH may play a role in the development of breast,prostate, and colon cancers... which is why North says that "it'sbanned in most industrialized countries."
The Solution: Read the labels and be sure that your milk doesn't contain rBGH or rBST and that it is labeled organic or "produced without artificial hormones."
[h3]7. Conventional Apples[/h3]
The Expert: Mark Kastel, former executive foragribusiness and co-director of the Cornucopia Institute, a farm-policyresearch group that supports organic foods
The Reason: Apples are the recipient of the mostpesticides of all Fall fruits. Chemical producers swear that theresidue is not harmful for human consumption, but the Yahoo! Articlegoes on to quote Kastel in saying that "Farm workers have higher ratesof many cancers."
The Solution: Buy organic apples where available or at least thoroughly wash and peel apples before eating them.

Guess I'll take my chances, organic prices are redonkulous around here. Especially on fruits and veggies.

Good post.

Here are some other interesting facts to consider:

-High dairy intake increases chances of prostate cancer for men.  So does high zinc intake (super high levels, though).

-BPA lasts in the human body only briefly, so its effects are not clearly understood.  I try not to mess with it though.

-There is a huge debate over whether or not soy products are healthy for you (especially highly processed ones).

-You only need 1000-1500 mg of sodium per day.  FDA suggests a daily recommended intake of about 2,400 mg.  Most people get 2-3 times that much. 

-Red meat is associated with a number of cancers. 

-(From UNC) Never buy peaches that aren't organic.  For some reason pesticides are hard to remove from them. 

Guess I'll go easy on the popcorn and actually pay attention in washing those apples then...

I cut meat for a living and people do not like grass fed beef. The cons of grass fed beef are : the meat is tougher, the meat is darker in color( a very dark red; the appearance deters people from buying it) and less flavor than those that are fed grain or corn diet. Then you throw in the price of grass fed beef and that seals the deal. Since it takes 5 years to grow a grass fed cow for market where as, it takes only a year and half with grain feed, the grass fed cow is always more expensive. Price is always the number one determining factor, for the average consumer, when buying meat.

Originally Posted by Nawth21

Guess I'll take my chances, organic prices are redonkulous around here. Especially on fruits and veggies.

but it will benefit you health wise.
not having to go to the doctor > organic prices

never thought id see the day when they tell you apples are bad for you
then again what isnt bad for you these days

Originally Posted by sn00pee

Originally Posted by Nawth21

but it will benefit you health wise.
not having to go to the doctor > organic prices
glasses.gif

Originally Posted by OctobersFinest

I knew about the potatoes. Did not know about the salmon. Thanks for this.

I can't remember his name but I saw an interview with an actor recently who collapsed on stage and they eventually discovered that he had mercury poisoning. He had been trying to eat healthily - avoiding red meat etc. - so was eating a lot of fish and it made him really really ill.

Originally Posted by theconditioner

Good post.

Here are some other interesting facts to consider:

-High dairy intake increases chances of prostate cancer for men.  So does high zinc intake (super high levels, though).

-BPA lasts in the human body only briefly, so its effects are not clearly understood.  I try not to mess with it though.

-There is a huge debate over whether or not soy products are healthy for you (especially highly processed ones).

-You only need 1000-1500 mg of sodium per day.  FDA suggests a daily recommended intake of about 2,400 mg.  Most people get 2-3 times that much. 

-Red meat is associated with a number of cancers. 

-(From UNC) Never buy peaches that aren't organic.  For some reason pesticides are hard to remove from them. 
Yep, i avoid red meat like a bad habit. Making some mackarel as we speak.

If any of this stuff was really truly harmful, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be sold anymore.

I was laughing the other day where some guy was shopping heavily for organic products to later find him outside in the parking lot smoking a cigarette.

Back
Top Bottom