80s Lakers or 90s Bulls

Osh he did beat the Lakers for his 1st chip, granted Kareem was aging but still that bulls squad was in the infancy of their dominance and still beat them pretty handily
His Bulls beat a team with 2nd year center Vlad Divac. Kareem retired in 1989. The 91 Lakers the Bulls beat had Magic, Worthy (who missed most theseries injured), Scott who was injured. That wasnt Showtime at all.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Osh Kosh Bosh wrote:
Micheal Jordon is like Batman, whenever people place him in a fantasy vs match up they just assume he will find a way to win.
laugh.gif

Micheal Jordon ain't got no Krytonite ring and I don't think the beat the Lakers.
roll.gif

Osh he did beat the Lakers for his 1st chip, granted Kareem was aging but still that bulls squad was in the infancy of their dominance and still beat them pretty handily. Mike was just approaching his prime hadn't fully arrived yet. So to say that a team that got to mature together with Mike and Scottie being in their prime along with the addition of Rodman would be far fetched to beat a Lakers squad from the 80's isn't rational G. I mean those 3 players I named were 1st team All Defense. To say they couldn't beat anyone of those 80's squads is complete hogwash fam
Kareem was long gone by 91. That was Vlade and Sam Perkins in the "post". I used post lightly cuz both them dudes out there shootin 20 footers.
frown.gif

And Worthy was a lot older and slower and Scott was comin back down to Earth. That's when Phil figured out to pup Pip on Magic and no one else on the roster could help out. The next year they got Sedale Threat to take the ball outta Magic's hands just for that matchup, but we all know what happened with Magic.
tired.gif

That was our MO though. Get beat one year, come back the next with a minor tweak or too and get another ring.

Also, Rodman at that time was first team D on rep alone, like Kobe now. He wasn't NEAR the defender he was early in Det or San Antonio. He could get boards in his sleep, but not stop his man straight up.

Damn You're right... I tweeeeeeeked real hard... It was Wothy who was aging, have to forgive me I was only 8 at the time but I remember watching every gameof that series with my grand parents.

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

Michael Jordan doesn't lose in the NBA Finals.

/thread
I have to agree with this......(gulp)......Cardinal fan.

I posted something about this a while back on ISS, only to have the thread deleted and never to be argued again.

IMHO, the 90's Bulls kryponite was a good defensive team. Which is why they had so much trouble with physical teams like the Knicks and mental of thePistons. The showtime Lakers bread and butter was not hard-nosed defense, everyone knew that. Put a defensive minded team like the 90's Bulls, along withthe greatest scorer and clutch, finisher of all-time, against one of the greatest starting fives of all time, in terms of fast paced offense, and IMHO, defensewill always win the game for you. Paired with the "MJ doesn't lose in the Finals
laugh.gif
and there you have it. Bulls in 7 in a hard, hard and high scoring series.

Bird's Celtics of the 80's played better defense than the Lakers, and look how many games MJ's Bulls in the 80's won.....ZERO. Including that63 point masterpiece.

Finally, this is all speculation, we will never know.
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Osh Kosh Bosh wrote:
Micheal Jordon is like Batman, whenever people place him in a fantasy vs match up they just assume he will find a way to win.
laugh.gif

Micheal Jordon ain't got no Krytonite ring and I don't think the beat the Lakers.
roll.gif

Osh he did beat the Lakers for his 1st chip, granted Kareem was aging but still that bulls squad was in the infancy of their dominance and still beat them pretty handily. Mike was just approaching his prime hadn't fully arrived yet. So to say that a team that got to mature together with Mike and Scottie being in their prime along with the addition of Rodman would be far fetched to beat a Lakers squad from the 80's isn't rational G. I mean those 3 players I named were 1st team All Defense. To say they couldn't beat anyone of those 80's squads is complete hogwash fam
To be honest I think it's a toss up I just liked my Jordon/Batman/ Kryptonite ring comparison
laugh.gif

darknightreturns.jpg

He beat his
9321564f7e8555a2e0954efbe680638a02fd4f7.gif
good too G

8eb15d4a70835aa02f00304f51b2ff0d94be045.gif

batman owns!...but osh your argument sucks
laugh.gif

Osh he did beat the Lakers for his 1st chip, granted Kareem was aging but still that bulls squad was in the infancy of their dominance and still beat them pretty handily
oops there goes your credibility

I have to agree with this......(gulp)......Cardinal fan.

I posted something about this a while back on ISS, only to have the thread deleted and never to be argued again.

IMHO, the 90's Bulls kryponite was a good defensive team. Which is why they had so much trouble with physical teams like the Knicks and mental of the Pistons. The showtime Lakers bread and butter was not hard-nosed defense, everyone knew that. Put a defensive minded team like the 90's Bulls, along with the greatest scorer and clutch, finisher of all-time, against one of the greatest starting fives of all time, in terms of fast paced offense, and IMHO, defense will always win the game for you. Paired with the "MJ doesn't lose in the Finals
laugh.gif
and there you have it. Bulls in 7 in a hard, hard and high scoring series.

Bird's Celtics of the 80's played better defense than the Lakers, and look how many games MJ's Bulls in the 80's won.....ZERO. Including that 63 point masterpiece.

Finally, this is all speculation, we will never know.
nerd.gif

the Lakers bread and butter wasnt hard nose defense?...what was kurt rambis and mike cooper about then?
laugh.gif
...birds celtics played better defense than the Lakers?...the Lakers beat theceltics 2 out of 3 times they met in the 80s...doesnt defense win championships?...i see the celtics and Lakers defense were pretty much even and yes this isall speculation all i wanted to get out of this thread was who would win and how many games?...most of the responses here havent given any of these answers

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Showtime. They would have no answer for Kareem.
i dont know if everyone knows that kareem is the NBA's all-time leading scorer...so im pretty sure hes seen every type of defense thrown athim that defend better than longley/cartwright or even the worm

2 players does not make a whole team, defense minded. Plus, two of the weaker players in the Lakers are the best weapons for defense? Bulls had MJ, Scottie,Harp, Rodman/Grant, Brown. Choose your weapon.
laugh.gif

The Lakers did playdefense, of course. It's just when it comes to water cooler talk, the first thing that comes into your head when you think ofMagic's Lakers, is.....SHOWTIME. I'm pretty sure the word showtime was not named for their spectacular defense.
laugh.gif

First thing that comes into mind for MJ's Bulls......THE DESIRE NOT TO LOSE

Also, Shaq held his own in his Orlando days in raw talent. He didn't peak of course. When the Bulls had something called a "three-headedmonster" designed to stop Shaq, and it didn't work, that's pretty good if you ask me. Plus there were better centers at that time. A certaincenter from Houston owned him in the Finals and showed it's not all about power.

Shaq peaking, along with the NBA having no elite center in his Laker days made it for him in beast status. Because if the Lakers' Shaq played in the80's to mid 90's, there was no way he would put up monster numbers like that. Fact.

They played defense, of course. It's just when it comes to water cooler talk, the first thing that comes into your head when you think of Magic's Lakers, is.....SHOWTIME. I'm pretty sure the word showtime was not named for their spectacular defense.
laugh.gif

First thing that comes into mind for MJ's Bulls......THE DESIRE NOT TO LOSE
actually the first thing that comes into mind for mj's bulls is TRIANGLE OFFENSE

showtime was the nickname of their spectacular fastbreak fitting because in LA its hollywood and thats what ppl came to see...but just because they had theshowtime nickname doesnt mean they didnt play spectacular defense

MJ hated the triangle. Phil Jackson had to almost brain-wash him into believing that he must adapted to that system in order for him to win. But Jordan attimes, especially late in the 4th quarter, deserted the triangle into becoming the MJ show.

Plus like you said, people filled the arenas to watch the Lakers fastbreak style. I don't think people wanted to watch the Bulls live to see their triangleoffense. They wanted to see dominance, MJ takeover and possibly do a buzzer-beater.

Lakers of the 80s

I think that's the reason they were voted the greatest championship team (the team that beat bird and the celtics) on nba.com

That team beat a high caliber team in the bird's celtics which also had a great starting 5 and depth

Doing some research online showed me that while Jordan never lost in the finals he did lose in the first round, has lost in the conference finals and missedthe playoffs a few times. So out of his 16 season, he made it to the finals 6 times and won them. His Bulls teams that 3peated twice never lost in the Finalsbut he himself has been on teams that couldnt make it to the Finals.at all.
He is the greatest basketball player of all time without a doubt but part of his legacy was finally overcoming his shortcomings (not being able to lead histeam to the Finals, being selfish or making his teamates better). Its like he goes from being the best ever to being some sort of tall tale that gets more andmore exagerated.

so is it safe to say that jordan didn't have a weak team at all for his championship teams?
that he actually had a legit squad that he didn't have to carry?

Originally Posted by vanexellent

Doing some research online showed me that while Jordan never lost in the finals he did lose in the first round, has lost in the conference finals and missed the playoffs a few times. So out of his 16 season, he made it to the finals 6 times and won them. His Bulls teams that 3peated twice never lost in the Finals but he himself has been on teams that couldnt make it to the Finals.at all.
He is the greatest basketball player of all time without a doubt but part of his legacy was finally overcoming his shortcomings (not being able to lead his team to the Finals, being selfish or making his teamates better). Its like he goes from being the best ever to being some sort of tall tale that gets more and more exagerated.
roll.gif

I didn't make an argument, I made a joke.

It's a toss up, when you both teams are that good the difference between them is splitting hairs. If these 2 teams did really play luck would probably tipthe scales.

It's a toss up.

For what it's worth according to the numbers the Bulls were a better defensive team and the Lakers were a slightly better offensive team.

Originally Posted by Burns1923

Originally Posted by Burns1923

1991-92 Bulls >>>> any Lakers team in history.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Ugh. Not you again.

Why don't you cancel your NT membership already.

laugh.gif
You put that ridiculous quote up there and I need to cancel my NT?
laugh.gif

I'm curious, why is that 91-92 is better then ALL Laker teams? Some incredible teams in the history of this league mind you.

Ridiculous to you because you're a Laker fanboy. No team could ever hold a candle to your beloved team. What's ridiculous to me is yourblind loyalty to a franchise.

Try being objective for once.

I'd put a young, hungry Bulls team that had 1 championship's worth of experience under their belts, who were on a mission to repeat, that featured anathletic, defensively superior Pippen, Grant, and Jordan with a coach (Jackson) perfectly in tune with his team and understood how to get the most out of eachplayer over any Laker team that could, at best, feature finesse players like Worthy, Kareem, Magic, Cooper, and Scott.

The 80's Lakers won because they had great offensive balance. They never faced a younger, athletic, defensive team like the 91/92 Bulls nor did they everhave to defend a young Jordan and Pippen.

(BTW I'm sorry to read about your daughter. I hope the best for her and your family.)

hater in the house!

but hes also ridiculous to say that the 91-92 team was better than all the Laker teams

Since when is having an opinion being a hater?

I'm not guaranteeing anything, I'm just saying I think the 91/92 Bulls, based off of raw talent and hunger, are too dynamic for the Lakers' 80srosters. The 90/91 Bulls were a young team who finally outplayed their opponents, the 92/93 Bulls overcame a tired MJ and Pippen and the mental challenge of3peating. The 95/96 team was about balanced execution, 96/97 and 97/98 were about maintaining.

I picked the 91/92 team because no Bulls team was more determined or went through more physically than that team.

The 80's lakers would win, they were too deep of a team, too good. Most of these kids too young, they probably never seen a showtime laker game/highlightin their life. Rodman when he was at his best defensively in Detroit got abused by James Worthy back then, the '96 Rodman damn sure isn't stopping him. Ya'll seem to think that Jordan and co. coasted and won all their championships by land slide victories.
laugh.gif
@ this Bulls in 5 talk. Name a team in the finals, hell in the playoffs periodthat the Bulls beat that were better than Showtime? the Knicks? The Jazz? The Suns and Sonics?
roll.gif

Jordan NEVER lost in the FINALS, PERIOD!...So if we're talking about who'd win in the NBA Finals between those teams, i'm going with MJ and hisBulls EVERY time.

Back
Top Bottom