82nd Annual Academy Awards: March 7th @ 8pm Est (ABC)

it was a horrible year for movies. i don't have a huge problem with hurt locker winning. i think inglorious basterds was better but that wasn't going to win. i'm just very happy avatar didn't win best picture. that would have been crazy. but yea i agree hurt locker getting a lil too much love now. similar to slumdog millionare.

the oscars are and will always be a sham. no reason to get mad. they even stayed robbing Scorsese for years.

the hurt locker wasn't a better screenplay than inglorious basterds. not by a long shot

Originally Posted by MaZA4eVeR14

Is it over? Cuz I got ABC on and it's a barbara Walters special. What time does it come on on the West Coast.

It was all live
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by MaZA4eVeR14

Is it over? Cuz I got ABC on and it's a barbara Walters special. What time does it come on on the West Coast.

Oscars went off at 9.

Originally Posted by Falcon4567

Why are people afraid Avatar would win? Does it winning signify the start the Harrowing of Mankind or something? I almost wish the whole Cameron/Bieglow "fued" (which only exists in the public imagination) had been side stepped and the award had gone to neither of them just so I wouldn't have to hear this manufactured schadenfreude against James Cameron.
Because it is not a good movie. A good movie is not just flashy visuals. It should have a compelling story and be able to evoke emotions from the viewer. Hurt Locker is easily a better movie than Pocahauntas In Space.

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

Why are people afraid Avatar would win? Does it winning signify the start the Harrowing of Mankind or something? I almost wish the whole Cameron/Bieglow "fued" (which only exists in the public imagination) had been side stepped and the award had gone to neither of them just so I wouldn't have to hear this manufactured schadenfreude against James Cameron.
Because it is not a good movie. A good movie is not just flashy visuals. It should have a compelling story and be able to evoke emotions from the viewer. Hurt Locker is easily a better movie than Pocahauntas In Space.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Save for those few crazies who wished Pandora was a real place, I don't think so.

Maybe I'm being too harsh. Avatar isn't horrible, I actually enjoyed the movie but there was never a point in time when I thought it was great. Why? Because it's already been done. This movie, as far as plot goes, has zero originality. We've all seen the white man colonize the indigenous and rape it of it's resources only for another white man to realize the errors of his people's way and save the day. Pocahauntas and The Last Samurai to name a few. Apparently this Hollywood rinsing and repeating of movies is Oscar worthy?

Originally Posted by DubA169

the hurt locker wasn't a better screenplay than inglorious basterds. not by a long shot
I'm so offended and heated right now......Inglourious Basterd may not be the movie of the year but it deserved it for screen play and directing.

I'm so offended and heated right now......Inglourious Basterd may not be the movie of the year but it deserved it for screen play and directing.
I don't get why Inglourious Basterds didn't win Best Screenplay. One of the best written films in recent memory really.

the only part of hurt locker that didn't seem realistic at all was the scene where they run into the British CIV contractors. other than that it was good

I must be the only person who thinks that Tarantino's screenplays aren't good anymore.

Kill Bill was great, since then however his writing's been dull.

I did enjoy Inglorious more than Hurt Locker, but both, along with In Education, and Up In the Air are terrific movies. Those four are outstanding.

And whoever said Avatar should've won is insane. Any person who really watches films knows that beneath the shiny compelling exterior, Avatar was a redundant and very predictable movie.

What was so special about the hurt locker?

it was an average movie to me...suspense was
eek.gif

But imo best picture worthy?

I didnt see that..

Some movie buff break this down to me///
nerd.gif

Save for those few crazies who wished Pandora was a real place, I don't think so.

Maybe I'm being too harsh. Avatar isn't horrible, I actually enjoyed the movie but there was never a point in time when I thought it was great. Why? Because it's already been done. This movie, as far as plot goes, has zero originality. We've all seen the white man colonize the indigenous and rape it of it's resources only for another white man to realize the errors of his people's way and save the day. Pocahauntas and The Last Samurai to name a few. Apparently this Hollywood rinsing and repeating of movies is Oscar worthy?

I have called Avatar out on this but the movie IS NOT winning/nominated for awards for its screenplay....no one was gonna give Avatar an award for the story. Only a fool would say the story was groundbreaking. It was worthy of a nomination imo (for visual effects at least).

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

I must be the only person who thinks that Tarantino's screenplays aren't good anymore.

Kill Bill was great, since then however his writing's been dull.
What other movies has he had since Kill Bill (aside from Death Proof?).

Anyhow the dialogue/screenplay in Inglourious Basterd was masterfully constructed and delivered. If you can't appreciate this, you're probably the type that focuses on action and Michael Mann type explosions rather than intricate, well-paced, witty dialogue in film. A great balance between action/violence and dialogue is what makes Tarantino one of my fave film makers/director/writers.

Originally Posted by lowslows

What was so special about the hurt locker?

it was an average movie to me...suspense was
eek.gif

But imo best picture worthy?

I didnt see that..

Some movie buff break this down to me///
nerd.gif
Shouldn't have to be broken down fam.  Hurt Locker is more than a movie about dudes who disarm bombs.

Look, not every person watches a movie the same way. Some simply want to be entertained for a few hours. Others want an immersive plot fueled by great writing, acting, scoring, and cinematography.  I have friends who couldnt care less about those factors, so long as they had fun. Personally, a great film hits you on many different levels. A great movie to me, isn't necessarily a great movie to  you. Not to say that every movie in the world is made to win an Oscar. I love the original Fast and Furious, but in no way is that a better film than In Education, or Up In the Air.

Originally Posted by itz rOLLi

was disappointed to see carey mulligan lose. she was just way too cute in an education. 

nobody with me?
frown.gif
Carey was excellent in her role, but there was no way she was gonna win tonight. Unfortunate, but true.

Originally Posted by arstyle27

was disappointed to see carey mulligan lose. she was just way too cute in an education. 

nobody with me?
frown.gif
Carey was excellent in her role, but there was no way she was gonna win tonight. Unfortunate, but true.
oh of course she wasnt going to win, but she should have just for being so damn adorable.

Originally Posted by troutking

JFMartiMcDandruff wrote:

I'm glad monique won

This. Im even more happy that christopher waltz won. dude's acting was soo good in Inglorious Bastards. I didn't see sandra bullock winning. but i didn't see the blind side so i can't hate. not really disappointed with the best picture choice. hurt locker was crazy. props to the director for becoming the 1st woman to win best director, i'm really happy for her. Bastards winning best picture was a LONG shot. it was an EXCELLENT film, but i just couldn't see it going for gold. avatar in the end was another pocahantas so i wouldn't cosign with best picture.

(side note: the academy has always been weird in their choices to me, but that may be becuz idk how they base their decisions. personally slumdog was NOTHING compared to The Dark Knight. that had best picture written all over it
smh.gif
)

Back
Top Bottom