A real debate on Hip Hop Vol. Are Hip Hop Fans fickle?

haven't watched the vid yet but
It's because hip hop is trend driven and mostly supported by young people.  So the music being made dies once the trend dies to the younger audience.
A lot of the music being made doesn't age well.

The Rolling Stones, The Eagles etc. can tour for 30 yrs after their major success and only release a greatest hits cd 

every now and then.  I just watched on TV a 70yr old Tina Turner perform a crowd that looked way larger than MSG in Holland.

no, the real reason hip hop is hurting is because the market has shifted.

around 98, record companies stopped signing, promoting and developing artists to pitch at the black community...

their target audience is suburban kids between the ages of 12-23.....

for the most part, suburban kids are white.

the music is being marketed for consumption by white america....

THATS why wack *@#!@# are on

THATS why nice *@#!@# get played

THATS why the radio sucks

THATS why the same 20 videos get played for a week then a new 20 get played nonstop, etc.

THATS why "hiphop" is dead.

these companies are basically selling pre-packaged "black culture" to suburban america......which would be cool if it wasnt full of gross stereotypes which perpetuate prejudices and racism....

but that's for another day.

Originally Posted by LarryDavidSwag

around 98, record companies stopped signing, promoting and developing artists to pitch at the black community...

THATS why the same 20 videos get played for a week then a new 20 get played nonstop, etc.

these companies are basically selling pre-packaged "black culture" to suburban america......which would be cool if it wasnt full of gross stereotypes which perpetuate prejudices and racism....

pimp.gif

I don't see how hip hop fans are anymore fickle than any other fan. People in general are fickle. Whether its movies, TV, music....people are fickle in general and I don't understand why Hip Hop is being highlighted for being fickle.

Originally Posted by rocyaice

I don't see how hip hop fans are anymore fickle than any other fan. People in general are fickle. Whether its movies, TV, music....people are fickle in general and I don't understand why Hip Hop is being highlighted for being fickle.
because before it was commercialized, it wasnt fickle at all....

laugh.gif
How can you say that? Humans are fickle people.
laugh.gif
Since the beginning of time. The only reason people MAY have not been critical or fickle of Hip Hop is because of it being new. But just like every form of entertainment it eventually hits a wall and people get tired of the same. Has nothing to do with it being commercialized or lack of quality.

It's stupid how fickle rap fans are. Half of them think they are A&Rs and just want to be on the next hot artist first, and they want to be the first ones to decide when your career is over.

Look at the Jeezy thread. The man had a top 40 hit last year, and all these little %$@+% want to say his career is over.

Not to mention how many people care about radio play/sales...as if they're the ones getting payed. As soon as those numbers come back low, these "fans" stop listening.

I believe ALL genres of music is fickle. The only thing Hip Hop has more is people picking sides. Sure people picked Backstreet Boys over N*Sync. But you got people who were Jeezy & Gucci fans then Gucci disses Jeezy and they hate Jeezy. It's silly.

And Joe Budden is silly, no one is touring off 1 album for 10 years even Prince has to release albums every 3 years

laugh.gif
How can you say that? Humans are fickle people.
laugh.gif
Since the beginning of time. The only reason people MAY have not been critical or fickle of Hip Hop is because of it being new. But just like every form of entertainment it eventually hits a wall and people get tired of the same. Has nothing to do with it being commercialized or lack of quality.

eyes.gif

before rap was commercialized, record companies funded entire divisions of employees with the sole job of FINDING TALENT

these days? they wait for the next youtube or "independent" to approach them for a distribution deal

what was tailored for a specific population of minority youth....and was actually DICTATED by that very population (meaning, record labels would say 'hey, im looking for a rapper' and whoever they told would say 'hey i know some guys that are respected'.....now its the other way around....you think somebody FOUND drake?
eyes.gif
)

NOW the music isnt even dictated by the population to cultivated it....its being marketed to and dictated by middle-america....which, unfortunately, is a majority white....and suburban.

when you have music ran by people disconnected with the music, and now MADE for people disconnected from the music...you get @+#%$!*$.

to say rap fans are fickle THESE DAYS is to say that middle, WHITE, america is fickle...and now that rap is produced for their consumption, rap fans are also fickle...

but like i said, in 93, wasnt nothing fickle about rap fans at all....

you could get punched in the face for turning an vanilla ice song up

now?

HOW YOU GONNA HATE ON HIS GRIND, FAM?

eyes.gif

Originally Posted by Futuristic

Look at the Jeezy thread. The man had a top 40 hit last year, and all these little %$@+% want to say his career is over.

i think jeezy is wack. his success in the rap game is proof enough that neo-rap fans (i.e. not the OG fans) are fickle...

until the 2000s.....you had to actually be able to rap good to be a "rapper"

ever since the influx of the independent southern scene, that's become less and less important.

a dude like jeezy wouldnt have existed 20 years ago.

Why? rap fans wouldnt be having that....period.

dont get me wrong, from 85-91, alot of rappers were trash, but rap was in its infacy...

you wasnt getting signed from 92-2000 if you couldnt spit...period.

and if you did get signed and your music did come out, however commercial or catchy it was, the %@%% was DISSED.....

now? its gonna get played regardless...because its already set up that radio stations a, b and c now have this new single on their playlists to play at this, this, that and this time everyday...regardless...

being that its the only choice in music, people who like the genre of music are going to dance to it...theyre going to rock with it....

i mean, if i had a dollar everytime someone said "man i dont wanna hear no words, i dont care what theyre saying"

WHATS THE POINT OF RAPPING IF NOT TO HAVE PEOPLE LISTEN TO WHAT YOURE SAYING

that's like an author who writes books and his fans say "i mean, im not really interested in reading what he writes, i just like how the words look on the page...and the idea of holding a book in my hand for extended periods of time"

this environment has made it cool for $@%**% like lil wayne to be pegged the "best rapper alive" when the $@%**% punchlines are almost exclusively throwaway joke lines....

dudes like jeezy got certified "hood classics" and %@%%

people wanna talk about how if pac and big were alive jay z wouldnt be %@%%

jay z raps circles around both them $@%**%, jay would be jay

it would be the non-rapping $@%**% with no lane

im done ranting, tho.

i know my twitter heads are glad im on here and not twitter.

i think jeezy is wack. his success in the rap game is proof enough that neo-rap fans (i.e. not the OG fans) are fickle...

ever since the influx of the independent southern scene, that's become less and less important.

dont get me wrong, from 85-91, alot of rappers were trash, but rap was in its infacy...

and if you did get signed and your music did come out, however commercial or catchy it was, the %@%% was DISSED.....

now? its gonna get played regardless...because its already set up that radio stations a, b and c now have this new single on their playlists to play at this, this, that and this time everyday...regardless...

being that its the only choice in music, people who like the genre of music are going to dance to it...theyre going to rock with it....

i mean, if i had a dollar everytime someone said "man i dont wanna hear no words, i dont care what theyre saying"

that's like an author who writes books and his fans say "i mean, im not really interested in reading what he writes, i just like how the words look on the page...and the idea of holding a book in my hand for extended periods of time"

this environment has made it cool for $@%**% like lil wayne to be pegged the "best rapper alive" when the $@%**% punchlines are almost exclusively throwaway joke lines....

jay z raps circles around both them $@%**%
, jay would be jay

im done ranting, tho.

Whoa

Wait so Black people dont want to hear nice music
laugh.gif
 Get over yourself there's just an ignorant @%% part of hip hop. Its always been that way. So has the radio its ran by record companies its the same reason all of Katy perry's records go to #1 its set up that way. If your music reaches a wide audience than its get played on the radio, so of course Jezzy rapping about trapping and all that wont get spins
laugh.gif

jay z raps circles around both them $@%**%, jay would be jay

im done ranting, tho.

This had me dying and is so true. People really only listen to Hip-Hop any more these days for the beat and the hook. And I agree with all of dude's posts. Once people realized you could make real money from Hip-Hop and pre-package it and shove it down everyone's throats then it just got completely watered down and lost all its heart.

I mean let's just look at Lupe for example. That dude can really rap and rap about something that's topical and interesting and not feel like you're being preached to. But since his label realized how much money B.o.B. made and that Lupe could attract the same fan base they said hey maybe we should package him like that and we'll make more money. And that's exactly what happened. Not to say that B.o.B. is wack it's just that Lupe is nothing like that but you can tell that his new album's sound is directly influenced by the B.o.B. album as why the label made Lupe's album sound like that.

Really everything comes down to money. A few people have done enough to be able to sell tons of records and still actually have legitimate rapping ability but that's few and far between. Once LOTS of money gets involved in anything it gets incredibly watered down and just skewed and done for the wrong reasons. There were always be a select few that do it for the love and will make good product but it won't be like it used to be where everything that came out back in the day was 9 times out of 10 really good. Now it's more like 1 in 100 releases is even worth downloading.

Originally Posted by nom de guerre

Wait so Black people dont want to hear nice music
laugh.gif
 Get over yourself there's just an ignorant @%% part of hip hop. Its always been that way. So has the radio its ran by record companies its the same reason all of Katy perry's records go to #1 its set up that way. If your music reaches a wide audience than its get played on the radio, so of course Jezzy rapping about trapping and all that wont get spins
laugh.gif

you didnt read. it's obvious. that's all the response you're getting.

jay does rap circles around pac and big tho
i know, that's why i said it

laugh.gif

and

jc619er, i think you example of Lupe and B.o.B. is EXACTLY what im talking about

the very first time i heard that beautiful girls song, i was like "oh *!%*...im going to hear this horrible +!@ song for the rest of the spring"

laugh.gif

I havent even heard lazers, my dude played two songs in his car the other day and i immediately said "dog, i know you have some jay on there...."

and i like lupe.

but he's the perfect example of a nice dude who isnt rapping for white middle america, the population his record label is targeting....so his music gets changed to appeal to the fickle...

are these OG rap fans? no, OG rap fans want daydreamin lupe...that #%!$ is fresh...that #%!$ is smart...that #%!$ is innovative....

but who wins out? the people buying the product. the target audience.

if you think the target audience gives a *!%* if lupe is rapping about robots or liqour, you're mistaken.

thats why i like jay so much......he'll get a timberland beat....and kanye hook.....and there is a hit right there. its already a certified banger. he could literally babble in baby talk and it would still get spun...

but he chooses to rip it...whatever it is (this is arguable these days, tho)

i have respect for dudes who put time and effort into their craft...

much more than someone who makes "fun music i can dance to"

cause, by and large, that's an attribute for the producer, not the artist...

no, they're just all around stupid. (majority)
and LarryDavidSwag I agree for the most part, but you can't tell me the hood isnt just as dumb.

in any case.

after Puff came and showed people that this new raw art could have a blueprint it was a rap.
people are making music to market, not to make art, couple that with radio playing the same thing over and over again and its a wrap.

and about Jeezy, I'm telling you, dude is horrible.
rap fans are just dumb enough to think he was doing it because BMF made dude go Platinum.
pretend to be important and idiots will follow.

"People are making music to market,not to make art"
Sig worthy quote is sig worthy.

Originally Posted by LLCoolMichael

sick.gif
pimp.gif

pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom