ADIDAS BBall Boost Thread - BYW, Crazy Explosive & Crazy Light & OTHER BBALL ADJACENT SNEAKERS

Thinking about getting the Crazylight Boost 2018 since they're on this current Adidas sale. What are your guys' thoughts on them?
I kinda dig em. Just don’t need em in my b-ball rotation currently. And I always worry about sizing with that model, and heel slip.

I like them for ball (I went 1/2 size down). Cushion, traction, fit are all very good. I just don’t love the containment. Upper is little too stretchy and not reinforced enough for me to go hard on side to side moves. I’d much rather play in the Harden 2s.

I like them for ball (I went 1/2 size down). Cushion, traction, fit are all very good. I just don’t love the containment. Upper is little too stretchy and not reinforced enough for me to go hard on side to side moves. I’d much rather play in the Harden 2s.
Harden 2’s much heavier though? Comparable traction?

^^ agree....i wouldn't even mind seeing them put out a Crazylight Bounce too. give consumers the option of boost or bounce. the boost is heavier and too heavy for some younger kids.

i'd rather see the Explosive Bounce/Explosive Boost & Crazylight Bounce/Crazylight Boost options than coming out with models i don't ever see anyone wearing {Mad Bounce for example}
Not sure we'd ever see a Crazylight with Bounce since that's essentially the Harden B/E...BTE... whatever it's called.

is it okay to play in a ball shoe without the insoles? i went a half size down on the Crazylight 2016s and with the insoles they're kinda tight but without em they're a perfect fit.

I'm a big man so that skews my experience (seems like most here are guards/wings). Weight of a shoe never actually bothered me but it is definitely noticeable. Never felt like they weighed or slowed me down but given how I was able to notice it, I guess I could understand why some have a preference.

If fit and transition was good weight never bothered me either. Especially if the shoe has a nice cushion that feels a little bouncy/springy. Dead foam, heavy upper, one piece solid outsole = clunky and heavy, for me.

may not be as noticeable with guys, but i train/coach high school/college girls and with some shoes it is very noticeable, especially at the end of the workouts...my daughter switched from the adidas crazy explosive to nike air max infuriate and it was a big difference in her play at the end of workouts/games...

my $0.02: if your game depends on speed than the weight matters.

Last edited:
may not be as noticeable with guys, but i train/coach high school/college girls and with some shoes it is very noticeable, especially any the end of the workouts...my daughter switched from the adidas crazy explosive to nike air max infuriate and it was a big difference in her play at the end of workouts/games...

Infuriate is such an underrated shoe. Just a little more forefoot cushion and it would have been great.

I never understood the whole heavy ball shoes thing. Weight never mattered to me in a shoe. I played in older lebron shoes and the weight never really bothered me.
I think that's one of those Internet things folks say because cats on YouTube say that stuff. Either you can play or you can't a few ounces here and there isn't going to help the vast majority of cats that mention heavy sneakers.

may not be as noticeable with guys, but i train/coach high school/college girls and with some shoes it is very noticeable, especially at the end of the workouts...my daughter switched from the adidas crazy explosive to nike air max infuriate and it was a big difference in her play at the end of workouts/games...

Your daughter caught that good placebo effect because sneakers don't make your game my man one way or another.

36148989_281339762612965_3871466314975412224_n.jpg

36597652_1020733488106047_1268895431304151040_n.jpg

Thinking about getting the Crazylight Boost 2018 since they're on this current Adidas sale. What are your guys' thoughts on them?

Heel Slippage is a deal breaker for me.

Hard pass.

If it weren't for that I'd cop. Really good prices on them everywhere.

Honestly it's placebo. I rotate between kobe 9s, lebron 15s, and some retro jordans (because jordan traction is pretty good for outdoor play) and I never really felt the weight difference affecting my game. To me the difference in a few ounces will not make me more fatigued. Other factors which in your daughter's case is cushion definitely make the difference tho. Boost vs air max will change how she feels at the end of the workout. Of course she's more tired because her muscles are absorbing more energy with the air max setup. A better test would be using shoes of the same set up but different weights. I'm sure you won't notice the difference between crazy explosives and something like hardens.

Your daughter caught that good placebo effect because sneakers don't make your game my man one way or another.
lol... must be the same placebo effect Kobe and marathon runners caught too when they try to shave ounces off their shoes.... shoes do weigh different amounts and do effect some people differently. whether its the weight or the type of cushion, i'm not sure. but since she can play {i'm guessing that because she has offers to play professionally} i did notice a difference when she changed shoes. not looking for an argument about it... you can believe what you want....keep the faith !!!

I've noticed weight and court feel makes a difference if your game has a lot of lateral movement and crosses. Its not extreme(I'm talking tenths of a second), but more minimal shoes give a bit more pop when you switch directions on a defender. A few years ago I primarily played in the Crazyquick and the Rose 6, and the Crazyquick was low to the ground and relatively light while the Rose was a damn tank. Sometimes I would switch them up between games and there was a definite difference. I had the same effect years before that when I switched between Kobes and other shoes.

Btw, the Crazyquick had this segmented puremotion outsole that was a beast for changing directions. The cushioning was terrible, though. If they ever used that kind of outsole with boost, that would be an insane shoe.

^Yeah there's definitely a difference. Kinda like you, I primary played in the Crazylight Boost 2016s and the Harden LS, it's not that the CLB16s were bulky as hell, it's just the LS was more low to the ground, much lighter and I felt faster in the LS tbh. Shoes do make a difference, i say it even helps with performance (if you're playing in lighter shoes, you gain a slight gain in your first step and feel faster). Of course it won't help your jump shot or raise your bball IQ but it'll help in several other areas.

lol... must be the same placebo effect Kobe and marathon runners caught too when they try to shave ounces off their shoes.... shoes do weigh different amounts and do effect some people differently. whether its the weight or the type of cushion, i'm not sure. but since she can play {i'm guessing that because she has offers to play professionally} i did notice a difference when she changed shoes. not looking for an argument about it... you can believe what you want....keep the faith !!!
It's all about the overall setup of a shoe. An ounce or two won't make the biggest difference for ball. The air Max infuriate aren't that good of a shoe to begin with. You're talking about changing between a shoe with primeknit and boost vs a shoe with hard synthetic material and air Max. There's definitely gonna be a difference in how she played because one is an amazing ball shoe and the other is mediocre. Weight with marathon runners doesn't shave off that much time if you change a menial amount of ounces. If that was the case then the runners wouldn't have been able to break records in the vapor flys. Flyknit racers are much lighter but marathon runners' legs would take a beating due to the minimal cushioning set up. Cushioning and fit imo make the biggest difference whereas weight is mostly negligible. Energy transfer with cushion is what needs to be looked at the most.

^Yeah there's definitely a difference. Kinda like you, I primary played in the Crazylight Boost 2016s and the Harden LS, it's not that the CLB16s were bulky as hell, it's just the LS was more low to the ground, much lighter and I felt faster in the LS tbh. Shoes do make a difference, i say it even helps with performance (if you're playing in lighter shoes, you gain a slight gain in your first step and feel faster). Of course it won't help your jump shot or raise your bball IQ but it'll help in several other areas.
Harden LS is also uncaged boost so that's definitely an advantage.

at the end of the day, placebo effect or not, if it makes you think wearing a certain shoe makes you run faster or jump higher, then why not?

but everyone's feet and body are different, many elite athletes will take every ounce of advantage they could get and some are very superficial like that (placebo or not) but then there are also others who can play with whatever shoes they put on their feet like Tucker or Thabo

Back
Top Bottom