Adidas JS Roundhouse Mids vol. Not sure if serious

So Meth let me get this straight....you think while Jeremy Scott was in Germany designing these shoes, he should have thought:

"Well damn, those American douchebags that live 6000 miles across the Atlantic might be kinda offended because of things that happened a few hundred years ago in their history, so I shouldnt design these"?

I seen these showcased on Sneakernews weeks a go and at no point did I think ".....Racist". This is a reach. I don't understand who would look at the design and immediately call racism.

Originally Posted by Method Man

Part of majority privilege is the assumption that the way you see things is the way things objectively ARE - and that any deviation from the norm is somehow errant or delusional. 

It's incredibly difficult to be within a minority and be unaware of majority perspectives.  The inverse isn't true.  That you don't see something doesn't mean that it isn't there or that it isn't valid.  It just means that YOU don't see it.  And there could be a very good reason for that. 

Well put

Originally Posted by SneakerHeathen

seriously, Tim Wise needs to publish a book for white people titled "Privilege: Do's and Dont's"

pimp.gif

I understand both sides but all this "it happened 400 years ago" "stop being so sensitive" talk is BS. You cant tell someone not to be offended by something just because you're not

I'm black(duh), and when I seen these, honestly, slavery was the last thing to come to mind.

I just thought the overall concept was stupid. Never thought any further into it than that.

White zip up hoodie? Can't sell it, seems racist.
Shoes inspired by a cartoon, possibly representing consumerism? Can't sell it, seems racist.
If I paint a picture of a black person during slavery? Can't sell it, seems racist.
Planking? Can't do it, seems racist.
Where do people draw the line? If someone wants to sell something "racist" who am I to stop them? If I don't like it, I don't support it, period. Isn't that the way the market works? Somewhere there is a guy who loved "My Pet Monster" and he will never get to own these because "it seems racist and vulgar."
indifferent.gif

Just my opinion.

Originally Posted by DROOPY7

White zip up hoodie? Can't sell it, seems racist.
Shoes inspired by a cartoon, possibly representing consumerism? Can't sell it, seems racist.
If I paint a picture of a black person during slavery? Can't sell it, seems racist.
Planking? Can't do it, seems racist.
Where do people draw the line? If someone wants to sell something "racist" who am I to stop them? If I don't like it, I don't support it, period. Isn't that the way the market works? Somewhere there is a guy who loved "My Pet Monster" and he will never get to own these because "it seems racist and vulgar."
indifferent.gif

Just my opinion.
i'm saying, you can skew anything to be racist if you try hard enough.  i really doubt dude is trying to be racist with these shoes.  same with the hoody, it doesn't even resemble the kkk to me.  yeah if it was tall and pointy, but seeing that didn't even make me think of the kkk.  people need to stop reaching.

Reaching or not I hate when dudes start telling other people what they should and shouldnt be offended by

Originally Posted by spizike231

Originally Posted by kevi

the dude in the thread about nothing said these the new mayweathers
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Saw that, that's my nickname for these idc what anyone says.
roll.gif

whew, I lost sleep after posting that, worrying folks would take that the wrong way...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by solarius49

So Meth let me get this straight....you think while Jeremy Scott was in Germany designing these shoes, he should have thought:

"Well damn, those American douchebags that live 6000 miles across the Atlantic might be kinda offended because of things that happened a few hundred years ago in their history, so I shouldnt design these"?

if you have to ask you didn't read what he wrote...or understand a damn thing said
grin.gif
hence, ignorance.

url

Should these shoes have been taken off shelves as well? It is the Japanese war flag, symbolizing their dominance of Asia. It is extremely offensive to myself and many other Asians, especially Koreans and Chinese. I see people wearing clothing with this on it and just
30t6p3b.gif

... but I don't think there needs to be a huge deal made of it...

Should these shoes have been taken off shelves as well? It is the Japanese war flag, symbolizing their dominance of Asia. It is extremely offensive to myself and many other Asians, especially Koreans and Chinese. I see people wearing clothing with this on it and just 

... but I don't think there needs to be a huge deal made of it...

Jordan Brand pulled the insoles from the "Rising Sun" XII for exactly that reason, didn't they? 

anyone check out the Nicekicks piece on controversial sneakers?
http://www.nicekicks.com/...s-sneakers-offend-folks/

pretty interesting read.

for the record, i don't think they should be taken off shelves, especially knowing what JS's intentions were. I do see Meth's point though and can see why some people may find it insensitive. then again, everything can be found offensive right?

take for example this guy http://www.vice.com/read/...taking-back-the-swastika

5972e10731536d9c786653cea6c90fbc.jpg

one thing I do wish is that the media did a little more thorough research and present to the world what the original intentions/inspiration came from.

Back
Top Bottom