Adidas JS Roundhouse Mids vol. Not sure if serious

Where is skip bayless and Stephen A to make sense of all this?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Method Man

It's incredibly difficult to be within a minority and be unaware of majority perspectives.  The inverse isn't true.  That you don't see something doesn't mean that it isn't there or that it isn't valid.  It just means that YOU don't see it.  And there could be a very good reason for that. 
I don't see and the very good reason(s) for that is that I'm ignorant to only my own plight or maybe because I try to live my life judging those on how they have treated me rather then race. It sounds all happy-go-lucky and narrow minded but being part minority from a family of all sorts races/religions/colors/sizes I judge them on their hearts & minds. This means I dont take part in any "white guilt" for something I didnt do (that no doubt somewhere down my family tree had involvement in) or dont believe in. By this same token, if Ive been harmed or had a bad experience with another of a different race/color, I dont hold all accountable because of their appearence but rather judge the indivdual's heart & mind. Which is why I can hate members of my own family because their actions mean more to me then blood. I dont take claim to any gang because I wont blindly choose sides on someone elses beef and why I wouldnt fight/kill for this country (especially in god's name).

This is ridiculous. Call me sensitive or whatever, but this is a bad idea. Who thought this was a good idea? Call me sensitive, but I have a damn brain. How could you not not think of slavery when you see this shoe? I don't know what others were thinking when they said they are not offended, how could you not be? It amazes me how some here just dismiss racism as if it no longer exists. I agree with Method Man, just because YOU don't see it, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist and it's not offensive. Some of you...
30t6p3b.gif

Method good responses in here man. Honestly, I just don't understand how something like this gets the green light. There had to have been someone that stood up at some point and said, "Ugh, do you think this is cool." I don't get it. Reminds me of the ESPN Headline that "indirectly" made racist remarks toward Jeremy Lin. How does that get a green light? 
I think it is just a way to remind us who is really in charge. I know this is a minority opinion (literally and figuratively) but something like this isn't done by accident at all. 

I think some people just want to have their cake and eat it, too.  They want to wear, say, or do something insensitive, but they refuse to allow anyone else to consider them insensitive for doing so.  (If that isn't the epitome of entitlement...) 

You can say, "it wasn't my intention to upset you", but once it's clear that your actions ARE upsetting someone you're then making a conscious decision to continue upsetting them anyway - and THAT is truly insensitive.

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by beh235

No one would not think of slavery if they saw this shoe. I don't know what others were thinking when they said they are not offended, how could you not be?
Honestly, just look at the responses here. If you don't have to walk the Earth wondering if someone judged you on the color of your skin then you might not see why these are offensive. Like it has been said, different people have different struggles/upbringings. Different worlds man. You know this Beh.

People are acting like shackles were invented just to imprison slaves and that they weren't around before then..

The the first thing I thought about when I seen them was a chain gang.

Shoes are neat, but nothing I would buy. Especially for $350.

This is ridiculous. Call me sensitive or whatever, but this is a bad idea. Who thought this was a good idea? Call me sensitive, but I have a damn brain. No one would not think of slavery if they saw this shoe. I don't know what others were thinking when they said they are not offended, how could you not be?

I thought "here's another stupid Jeremy Scott design." Not once did I think of slavery because, well, I just didn't. If anything I thought of briefcases handcuffed to wrists. And I'm not offended because, well, I don't go looking to make mountains out of molehills.

Originally Posted by tree4twenty

People are acting like shackles were invented just to imprison slaves and that they weren't around before then..

The the first thing I thought about when I seen them was a chain gang.

Shoes are neat, but nothing I would buy. Especially for $350.
How is anyone acting like that? Did anyone say that? So because I associate dunking with Jordan means that I think Jordan invented dunking? No, of course not. But it is a clear cut association present. Shackles and slaves. Please stop indirectly telling people that they shouldn't be offended because that is exactly what you are doing here.

Originally Posted by Space DooDoo Pistols

This is ridiculous. Call me sensitive or whatever, but this is a bad idea. Who thought this was a good idea? Call me sensitive, but I have a damn brain. No one would not think of slavery if they saw this shoe. I don't know what others were thinking when they said they are not offended, how could you not be?

I thought "here's another stupid Jeremy Scott design." Not once did I think of slavery because, well, I just didn't. If anything I thought of briefcases handcuffed to wrists. And I'm not offended because, well, I don't go looking to make mountains out of molehills.
Must be nice man. That is all I will say to you. It must be nice. 
ohwell.gif

I hate this whole stupid idea of something bothering a particular person or group of people, so they can get it ruined for everybody. Just don't buy it then. Saw Uncle Jesse on CNN talkin' bout we're going to boycott Adidas. Yea right, soon as they release something phat we'll be right out there in massive numbers.

so thats a big deal....but i didnt see this on the news, or our leaders calling for blood...(and yes I saw the NT thread)
nicki-minaj-chicken-wing-necklace.jpg

So let's flip the coin, just because YOU think it is racist, no one should get to create it or own it? This is open to anybody who is offended by...a pair of shoes...
For all I know there may be undertones to the shoes, racism is clearly still alive whether people choose to be ignorant to it or not, but does YOUR opinion mean someone else can't own a shoe that THEY like, possibly because of colorway or design?

At the end of the day, if you don't like it or are offended by it, don't buy it, period. Your money is yours, just like their money is theirs. If I like something, I don't care if the next man does not, I will spend MY hard-earned money on it, and wear it as I please. America, right?

And for the record, I do see how these shoes can be considered offensive, and I did see the "slavery/shackles" thing going on, what would I do if they were released? Not waste a cent to own them.

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

I hate this whole stupid idea of something bothering a particular person or group of people, so they can get it ruined for everybody. Just don't buy it then. Saw Uncle Jesse on CNN talkin' bout we're going to boycott Adidas. Yea right, soon as they release something phat we'll be right out there in massive numbers.

Uncle Jesse huh

Originally Posted by DROOPY7

So let's flip the coin, just because YOU think it is racist, no one should get to create it or own it? This is open to anybody who is offended by...a pair of shoes...
For all I know there may be undertones to the shoes, racism is clearly still alive whether people choose to be ignorant to it or not, but does YOUR opinion mean someone else can't own a shoe that THEY like, possibly because of colorway or design?

At the end of the day, if you don't like it or are offended by it, don't buy it, period. Your money is yours, just like their money is theirs. If I like something, I don't care if the next man does not, I will spend MY hard-earned money on it, and wear it as I please. America, right?

And for the record, I do see how these shoes can be considered offensive, and I did see the "slavery/shackles" thing going on, what would I do if they were released? Not waste a cent to own them.

So you are saying, instead of exercising my right to speak out about something offensive, I should be quiet, and just choose not to give them my money? Am I getting the gist of it?

DC, I know, it's all about perspective and I grant people that. At the same time, and it's not just here, just in society in general when it comes to issues about African Americans being offended. People seem to simply poo poo it and sweep it under the rug and basically tell us to "get over it". Ridiculous notion. Reading this thread, I really see who we are as a NT "community"and it's sad, yet not surprising. You see where everyone's level of understanding is in this world. I, by no means have all the answers or know everything, but I certainly am not a fool. If anything, how come no one is mature enough to say "You know what? I could see these being offensive to Black people". Seems like we don't get that allowance in this society. However for example, if I were to make a racist statement to any other group (not that I would) and anyone perceived it as racist, know what race I was, people likely would be all over me for it. If I brush it off saying "just get over it", I wouldn't hear the end of it. This thread is simply a microcosm of our society and America's issue with racism on a deeper level. Yes, it's just a shoe, but the image and emotion it invokes is much much deeper that meets the eye as Method Man indicated a few times in this thread.

Space Doodoo, I'm not making a mountain out of a molehill, nor did I hit the ceiling when I saw this. You don't have to go to that extreme to be offended by something. I simply encourage you and others to read and gain an understanding about slavery before you can dismiss it. That being said I still say that NT isn't mature enough to handle any thread regarding race. Not saying that this thread wasn't productive, but usually it doesn't end well and nothing is gained. That's my 2 cents.

Originally Posted by solarius49

so thats a big deal....but i didnt see the chicken bone around Nikki Minaj's neck on the news, or our leaders calling for blood...(and yes I saw the NT thread)
Man she is a creation of the machine that we are speaking against now. I am not sure why that didn't make the news but I personally found it crazy. But I know she has bills t pay and is told how to act, talk, dress, sing, etc. She isn't the one to blame even though she technically has a right to stand up against the machine but I would imagine she values her life so she will play it safe and do as she is told.

Originally Posted by kix4kix

So you are saying, instead of exercising my right to speak out about something offensive, I should be quiet, and just choose not to give them my money? Am I getting the gist of it?

Yup, that's exactly what I'm saying.
eyes.gif

I hate posting on forums for this reason :facepalm:

The point is, you can speak out all you want, the shoes shouldn't have been pulled just because of the "squeaky wheel." Where I'm from, if you don't like someone's product or business model you boycott it. JS/Adidas offending you? Get them "by the balls" and don't put money or stop putting money in their pockets, they'll get the point.

With that said I'm done here, I respect your opinion, and I respect you speaking out on something you feel strongly about, and I expect the same back. I don't appreciate censorship, and a product not being released because people raise hell about what THEY interpret from it bothers me. Thinking in that way holds people back, in my opinion.

This is ridiculous. Call me sensitive or whatever, but this is a bad idea. Who thought this was a good idea? Call me sensitive, but I have a damn brain. How could you not not think of slavery when you see this shoe? I don't know what others were thinking when they said they are not offended, how could you not be? It amazes me how some here just dismiss racism as if it no longer exists. I agree with Method Man, just because YOU don't see it, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist and it's not offensive. Some of you...
30t6p3b.gif

I don't know if your sarcastic joking, or being serious. If you're being serious though, lighten up a bit, for real. So because you have a brain, the first thing you think of is slavery? I'm pretty sure everyone in this thread has a brain, and the majority of people in here disagree with you. 

I don't appreciate censorship, and a product not being released because people raise hell about what THEY interpret from it bothers me. Thinking in that way holds people back, in my opinion.

I understand where you are coming from. We all fight against censorship but we would like for it to be used when we find it convenient.  I understand the dilemma here. While I am against censorship, I do understand that people shouldn't say/do things they damn well please without consequence. People normally say, "Freedom of speech." While you might physically be able to say what you want to say, there might be a price to pay for the things you say.
But I understand where you are coming from man. I really do. And honestly, if I was a person that didn't see the offense in it, I would probably say the same thing. But it is their decision to pull the shoe or not, and they chose to pull the shoe.

@Beh, you are hip man. That is all that I need to say about what you typed out. Some people view Black Americans as 2nd class citizens still. Some people view minorities in general as 2nd class citizens. That is the structure of this world man. What can we do other than speak up when we see injustices and/or fight with the weapons that we have in our possession? Nothing.

Originally Posted by useref15

This is ridiculous. Call me sensitive or whatever, but this is a bad idea. Who thought this was a good idea? Call me sensitive, but I have a damn brain. How could you not not think of slavery when you see this shoe? I don't know what others were thinking when they said they are not offended, how could you not be? It amazes me how some here just dismiss racism as if it no longer exists. I agree with Method Man, just because YOU don't see it, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist and it's not offensive. Some of you...
30t6p3b.gif

I don't know if your sarcastic joking, or being serious. If you're being serious though, lighten up a bit, for real. So because you have a brain, the first thing you think of is slavery? I'm pretty sure everyone in this thread has a brain, and the majority of people in here disagree with you. 
Why go that route? Why question his intelligence because of the associations he makes? Why not attribute it to his experiences, which is what would probably cause someone to think slavery over anything else. Not cool to question someone's "brain" because of what they think of when they see a certain item. We all don't have the same experiences in life man. That wasn't cool at all.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

I don't appreciate censorship, and a product not being released because people raise hell about what THEY interpret from it bothers me. Thinking in that way holds people back, in my opinion.

I understand where you are coming from. We all fight against censorship but we would like for it to be used when we find it convenient.  I understand the dilemma here. While I am against censorship, I do understand that people shouldn't say/do things they damn well please without consequence. People normally say, "Freedom of speech." While you might physically be able to say what you want to say, there might be a price to pay for the things you say.
But I understand where you are coming from man. I really do. And honestly, if I was a person that didn't see the offense in it, I would probably say the same thing. But it is their decision to pull the shoe or not, and they chose to pull the shoe.

I agree, it's a thin line and we just so happen to be on opposite sides of it, I can respect that. Opinions always differ, and you're right, at the end of the day it's up to Adidas what to do, and they pulled it. Like I said, I even found the shoe to be pretty offensive, but if someone wants to own it, they should have the right to, that's all.

I'm black, my mother was a African-American studies Professor for 15 years so I know our history very well, and I'm usually one of the first people to call out something for being racist 
laugh.gif

But this...this RIGHT HERE, is absurd.  I can very well see WHY somebody would be mad and see a racist intent, hell when I saw the shoes I gave them the 
indifferent.gif
 (partly because they're hideous too).  But having Jesse Jackson (
indifferent.gif
) on TV talking about "The black community is ready to boycott Adidas..blah, blah, etc, etc"...kneegrow please.

We..as a culture, community, race, w/e, have to STOP making big issues out of the wrong things.  Love & Hip Hop ATL premiered last night, and throughly set black folk back 1000x faster than any $350 "Shackle Shoes" could even HOPE to, but nobody made a peep.

Was it stupid of Adidas to approve the shoes w/o at least somebody saying "hey, this might not end well"? Yes.  Is it worth national media attention and people all over the country talking about it? HELL NO

My $.02 

So blacks were the ONLY slaves to exist? I thought all races had slaves at some point.
I dont think Hebrews would take offense to the shoe

Originally Posted by jbc908

there is nothing racist about the shoe it is an ugly design though, as a black man i understand the past is the past we just have to put that behind us as the human race and unite as one.

agreed

Originally Posted by Dropten

So blacks were the ONLY slaves to exist? I thought all races had slaves at some point.
I dont think Hebrews would take offense to the shoe
Thats true, but Hebrews arent majority of sneaker buyers. If you saw a black person in these shackles and all, what would come to mind?

I dont find these offensive and I'm black. I do find these hideous however.

Back
Top Bottom