Advice from fellow ex-sneakerheads

im so caught up with sneakers releases, spending 160 dollars every 2 weeks a month im really thinking about how stupid i look.I should be spending that money for a car or something and im spending it on sneakers that are poorly made. it really starting to be rediculus

I'm gonna be into kicks forever...

May not cop as often as before...

May not cop the same style/brand as before.

I'm not a "sneakerhead"... I just love shoes.

Originally Posted by Dagrandesoda

Originally Posted by Treb2k5

It's all hype & see who can get the most.
you just lost interest man. thats all that is. Sneaker joint aint a game. You either live through it or you live it. Quote that and make a shirt out of it.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

since i always worked i always got whateva shoe i wanted. Now im 25 (which isnt old) but being in corporate america i wanna dress a certain way so thats where my money goes now and i have a more casual look outside of work. Plus i just cant get out there and fight for the shoes anymore or put my life in danger for them. If i cant get them online then im good on em

It comes down to not being able to rock your stuff as much because you can't wear sneakers to work... then your like why do i need 30+ pairs still just to wear on weekends.. i haven't sold much but a lot of it just sits there taking up room and reminding me of all the money I wasted.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

If you are a grown man with a job, %@%* a career, there's no way you would approach your boss with a vacation request to get in line to buy sneakers.  Why waste precious vacation days to sit with a bunch of "know-nothing" 16-20 year olds, that make up these stories of nostalgia?
laugh.gif
 damn that reminds me of my first (and only) campout when I sat in the freezing cold outside of NTLA for the Espos and N.E.R.D Dunks.  My pops (typical no nonsense asian father) was like "Y U NO work harder at your job and make money to buy those shoes for Ebay prices instead of sleeping on a sidewalk like a bum?!?!?!"

the man had a point.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Seriously, you're on my "NT'ers who'd I have a blast with if a meetup ever happened." list.

Have a feeling we would both lose years off the back end of our lives, and our livers would be obliterated.

#bromance #idontwanttobeanethugnomore #nomo

I sold most of my shoes and only kept player exclusives and tier zeros.
Only bought three shoes this year, Concords/Nerfs/Ray Allen 13's.

Don't care as much as I used to.

I stay fresh but not up on releases like i used to be. Just GR nikes. Penny retros, hyperfuses and some air max commander is my rotation right now. Sperrys and Timbs on deck as well.

I have a few DS pairs that I cant see myself ever wearing and will eventually sell

Used to have a good amount of pairs at my peak but they're gone now
laugh.gif

In high school its a good look . Other than that, unless you're caking, tennis shoes should not be a priority in any way imo . But if you got it like that and its a passion, then more power to you.

Its no different then collecting anything else.

Originally Posted by crcballer55

Originally Posted by Dagrandesoda

Originally Posted by Jking0821

This was sort of my sentiment as well.  The hype in general is killing it for me. 

And when you have a 9-5 and can't wear sneakers to work you honestly just don't have time to wear 90% of your kicks.  My rotation is basically nike frees to work out/run in.  Then black cement 3s and white cement 3s with every casual outfit.  Still love shoes but when its now become next to impossible to get a shoe i want....i basically just don't care anymore. 
Hype is just being used as a excuse to hid the fact that you are a trend hopper. If you REALLY LOVED YOUR SHOES AND THE CULTURE, YOU would still keep collecting even with all the hype. Just stop with the excuses. To you the trend is not as cool as it once was to you and as a result your on to the next trend.
The shoes and the culture have changed dramatically in the past 10 years.  Sneakers are essentially artwork that is mass produced.  The difference now is that the artwork is produced and reproduced, and produced another time just to milk it.  Every time they reproduce another piece of art the quality goes down and the price goes up.  I thought the quality started getting bad on some of the Jordans 10 years ago and then I went into a Footlocker last year and felt them and was incredibly disappointed.
Wisest post hands down and sums up my exact sentiment of JB since 2003....a joke. 

meh im still young, i'm just going to get returned profit on my habits by copping all the hyped Lebrons and Kobes and selling them 10 years from now when they are at or close to Jordan's level in terms of rings...

Originally Posted by 940sicc3

your problem is being a so called "sneakerhead" and calling it "shoe game"
30t6p3b.gif

whatever happened to just buying what you liked? a lot of you bought shoes beacuse it was the shoe to have. thats where y'all went wrong
My thoughts exactly. Well said.

I pretty much quit, but like many others, I still LOVE Nike and Jordan, just don't need to buy a ton/would rather buy stocks and save for starting my own business.

It is too much of a "game" now, but oh well. It's much nicer only buying things you really really love (bought Concords and white/cement III's this year), rather than buying any mediocre stuff.

Number one piece of advice is to save the $$ and not spend it on something else.

Originally Posted by SIZE TENS

Originally Posted by 940sicc3

your problem is being a so called "sneakerhead" and calling it "shoe game"
30t6p3b.gif

whatever happened to just buying what you liked? a lot of you bought shoes beacuse it was the shoe to have. thats where y'all went wrong
My thoughts exactly. Well said.
This is what I always did but now its becoming increasingly harder to even get the ones I want. I still dont have a pair of Raptor 7s and those are my all time favorite shoe and I've wanted them for years. But the price is never good on them EVER

Don't think I'll ever be completely done....I just love sneakers. But life happened (wife, kids, career, mortgage, etc.) and here I am. Family comes first, as does my kid's future, so kicks definitely take a backseat. I still cop here and there but nowhere close to the rate that I used to....maybe 6 or 7 pairs a year and 3 of those end up getting sold on eBay once I realize I'll never where them.

i'm 22 but i completely grew out of the sneaker thing. i just wear what looks good to me nowadays, but i still have mad love for sneakers.

I've been in the process of selling all of my Jordan's over the last couple months. I have about 10 pairs left, and it's been pretty easy to let them go.

Originally Posted by IronHorse

Just turned 30, and something awakened inside me that this whole sneaker obsession thing of mine is now played out and I should be more concentrated on stepping up my adult clothes game up, as that needs work compared to my closet full of jays and air maxes.

I'd be interested to hear from fellow ex-sneakerheads about their experiences in quitting....

Not sure what you mean by 'adult clothes game'. I'm 28, work for a large organization and I rock dress shirts and pants that I cop from Marshall's. On Fridays, I get to rock my kicks with my jeans. My co-workers are 50+ but I've always had a passion from kicks.

If anything just scale down and set some rules for yourself. I'm selling a whole bunch of retros and keeping my OG sneakers. If the quality ain't good on a sneaker then pass - cheap quality makes any nostalgia worthless. 

I got over my addiction to sneakers. I used to have about 30-40 pairs of sneakers from Nike SBs, Jordans, etc. Every model and shoe you can name, I've had em all and traded them for others I didnt have.

It came to a point when I realized spending $150 or more every month on sneakers I didnt really really like was just getting stupid.

I sold almost all my collections, moved on to Vans and could care less about sneakers unless its something I REALLY REALLY want like the White and Black Cement 3s, any of the XIs, Supreme Blazers or the Yeezys.

Other than that, I have no regrets.

Originally Posted by bogusreality

the thrill is gone...

- biggie

But the love isn't. I've noticed that the ones who do it for the love of sneakers, still buy them.
Not to call anyone out and subscribe them to any label, but if you genuinely loved sneakers as a hobby and not a status symbol, you would still buy sneakers. 

I'm not saying you would stand in line for days to get them because I've always thought that was ridiculous and stupid, but the ones you REALLY wanted? Those would be yours no matter what and no matter how long it it would take you to acquire them. 

Thats love, not a thrill. 

I have 10 pairs of sneakers, and I love every pair. The rest of my shoes are either work shoes or beaters. 

But I love those 10 pairs to death though. 

But I never really attached myself to the title of "sneaker head", that was always corny to me to an extent. Yes, I do love sneakers. I love looking at them, wearing them, and I know a lot of the history on hundreds of pairs, but attaching myself to a "title" and living a lifestyle dedicated to it was never my style. I don't like those sneaker cons, I hate camping for shoes, and I can not and will not ever spend over $200 on a pair of sneakers. 

Considering an interest in a hobby as a "game" was also corny to me as well. I'm not winning anything out of buying a pair of sneakers. As a young'in it was cool, breaking necks and being "that kid" with the newest Airs was always dope but once I hit the age of 18-19 it wasn't about the "cool" factor anymore. It was genuinely about having shoes that I really loved the look of for my personal enjoyment. 

When I'm 25-30 years old I will still be wearing my Air Jordan 3's when I relax and run errands because I LOVE the shoe. I love a handful of shoes and that will never change. 

never understood the concept of defining oneself as a "sneaker head" ...im content with dressing for the occasion and just being presentable at all times no matter the type of clothing or footwear

Many valid points here. I've bought and collected seriously since 04 but have been up on shoes since a kid. I've come to the realization that I need

To quench the thirst for sneakers. I mean I absolutely love them. I never wear them like I want to because of school and work. My collection has

Some serious heat but I only wear about 3-4 pairs(triple black lebron 8s, free runs, KDs, kobes) I mean I wish I could wear my other shoes but I just

Don't have time to. Theyre not practical for all occasions. I mean hype has killed my thirst a bit but not

My love for the sneakers. Knowing the history of the shoe and the player it represents, idk just kinda feels special to me.

I'm getting engaged soon. I know my girl won't be ok with my sneaker addiction. I have quenched my Jordan taste lately due to the hype and

Quality of recent release. I've been able to downsize from 100 to around 40 pairs. It's hard for me to sell some of them

But reality is if they're not worn they'll fall apart. Turn yellow or just rot lol. Any suggestions on how to successfully step away for good.

Will sticking to GRs only help? Lol I know I sound like I'm at a AA meeting but I'm loving this thread and the info on here

*puts on flame suit*

Back
Top Bottom