Advice from fellow ex-sneakerheads

I had this discussion with my girl last night, and it was because of this thread. I meantioned that I was thinking about slowing down on the whole Jordan thing, maybe copping a new pair or two of Air Maxs and just sitting on what I got for a while. We will see how long that lasts when the White Cement 4s drop here soon.

I relate this same feeling with Videogames. I hardly play my xbox, but as soon as I hear about a future release coming out of a game I used to play, I get a little excitment in my stomach. Like when Gears of War 3 was announced, I was amped because I played the first 2, and liked them. Then when the time came to buy it, I was like "$60 for a videogame?....I'll pass". That's how I feel about Jordans now. For example, when I heard about the Playoff and Obsidian 12s coming out this year, my first thought was "damn...I gotta get these when they come out", but now, I'm just kind of like Ehhh. But once we get closer to release day, I get excited, and end up grabbing them. Then once I finally get my hands on one of these "must have" shoes, I look at them, put them back in the box, and within a week I forgot I even own them. I usually won't wear them for weeks later too.

Originally Posted by SIZE TENS

Originally Posted by 940sicc3

your problem is being a so called "sneakerhead" and calling it "shoe game"
30t6p3b.gif

whatever happened to just buying what you liked? a lot of you bought shoes beacuse it was the shoe to have. thats where y'all went wrong
My thoughts exactly. Well said.

I've always thought that as well. I only dig shoes that I actually play basketball in. Once I stop playing, the shoes will stop as well. My buddies who run marathons and participating in other sports like tennis, feel the same way. I may be older than every one here, and my desires to be well shod have taken several turns.
But I knew that as soon as Jordan retired, that Nike was going to have to do something in order to keep your attention, mostly the non athletes, and they have accomplished it.

Enter the sneakerhead.

Originally Posted by AKA LONGSTROKE

But I knew that as soon as Jordan retired, that Nike was going to have to do something in order to keep your attention, mostly the non athletes, and they have accomplished it.

Enter the sneakerhead.

True words
tired.gif
 good, & bad.

Originally Posted by WITNESSkb24

For me, I'll buy something and if I get bored with it I'll sell it to get something else. I have it set to where I just use my paypal and never have to dig into my actual money so it works. Add in the fact the Jordans completely suck now, it isn't as bad of a habit as it used to be.

You don't have to stop collecting/buying completely, just pick and choose what you REALLY want

This x 1000.

Especially with the questionable quality and authenticity of some of these new shoes. I would rather just find older higher quality releases online.

I love sneakers and always have, but you know its bad when your crib gets on some Greg Street steez and your fambs threatens to call the TV show Hoarders on ya.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CreateDestroy

I'm gonna be into kicks forever...

May not cop as often as before...

May not cop the same style/brand as before.

I'm not a "sneakerhead"... I just love shoes.
This is how I feel; I'm trying to get down to 20 pairs if that's possible.  Nothing will be DS.

Mojodmonky1 wrote:
ooIRON MANoo wrote:
  If you are a grown man with a job, %@%* a career, there's no way you would approach your boss with a vacation request to get in line to buy sneakers.  Why waste precious vacation days to sit with a bunch of "know-nothing" 16-20 year olds, that make up these stories of nostalgia?

laugh.gif
 damn that reminds me of my first (and only) campout when I sat in the freezing cold outside of NTLA for the Espos and N.E.R.D Dunks.  My pops (typical no nonsense asian father) was like "Y U NO work harder at your job and make money to buy those shoes for Ebay prices instead of sleeping on a sidewalk like a bum?!?!?!"

the man had a point.

That's something my dad would say too, lol.

if it's not sneakers, its another thing. got away from kicks over the past year. then got into cologne, other types of shoes (boots, dress, casual) and clothes. for others its technology gadgets, putting money into their cars, stock trading..whatever.

key is not going overboard, but part of that is problem is finding out what you like. But eventually you'll know what you like, and make better purchasing decisions.

I'm 35 and came to the conclusion that I probably wont stop completely ... Been loving shoes since the 4th grade....I learned how to balance it out.. I don't feel like I have to have every pair I want anymore... I only get what's important to me now... I also got rid of all my OG's and 01 retro's recently to make room and also for money for a few future releases I'm looking forward to... Was kind of a waist having sneakers I couldn't wear anymore...the concord release blew me too but I saw it coming so it didn't bother me to much... I know I'm going to end up that old dude rocking sneakers...I Can't really help what I like ...it is what it is .. Eff it

Originally Posted by vood99

Originally Posted by IronHorse

Just turned 30, and something awakened inside me that this whole sneaker obsession thing of mine is now played out and I should be more concentrated on stepping up my adult clothes game up, as that needs work compared to my closet full of jays and air maxes.

I'd be interested to hear from fellow ex-sneakerheads about their experiences in quitting....

Not sure what you mean by 'adult clothes game'. I'm 28, work for a large organization and I rock dress shirts and pants that I cop from Marshall's. On Fridays, I get to rock my kicks with my jeans. My co-workers are 50+ but I've always had a passion from kicks.

If anything just scale down and set some rules for yourself. I'm selling a whole bunch of retros and keeping my OG sneakers. If the quality ain't good on a sneaker then pass - cheap quality makes any nostalgia worthless. 
That is exactly what I'm talking about. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing with copping dress gear from Marshall's, I do it too from time to time.

To those that are up on their work gear, or adult gear as I stated previously, copping from Marshall's doesn't equal fresh. Kinda like copping your kicks from Marshall's, ever cop heat from there?

So that was my whole point. I want to be as fresh in my clothing game as I managed to be in my sneaker game....
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

If you are a grown man with a job, %@%* a career, there's no way you would approach your boss with a vacation request to get in line to buy sneakers.  Why waste precious vacation days to sit with a bunch of "know-nothing" 16-20 year olds, that make up these stories of nostalgia?
laugh.gif
 damn that reminds me of my first (and only) campout when I sat in the freezing cold outside of NTLA for the Espos and N.E.R.D Dunks.  My pops (typical no nonsense asian father) was like "Y U NO work harder at your job and make money to buy those shoes for Ebay prices instead of sleeping on a sidewalk like a bum?!?!?!"

the man had a point.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Seriously, you're on my "NT'ers who'd I have a blast with if a meetup ever happened." list.

Have a feeling we would both lose years off the back end of our lives, and our livers would be obliterated.

#bromance #idontwanttobeanethugnomore #nomo

hahahaha 2011 version of me yes... 2012? maybe not.

I made a conscious decision to try and quit smokin reefer and cut down on my alcohol intake so I can show my wife that I am no longer a 31 year old man-child and I am responsible enough to knock her up and be a father.  Damn adulthood sucks.

Theres a time and place for everything.

Some days you wanna look "dressing better" with a nice layered up look, button up, v-neck sweater or shawl collar cardigan, slim jeans and a pair of Clarks. Other days, for me the summer time, just a t-shirt, cargo shorts and some Black Cement 3s.

Its not about having to pick sides.

I've been meaning to sell my collection for 2 years now, just been too lazy don't want to deal with low ballers or ebay fees. Maybe 2012 is the time to start and try moving it... again.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

Some days you wanna look "dressing better" with a nice layered up look, button up, v-neck sweater or shawl collar cardigan, slim jeans and a pair of Clarks. Other days, for me the summer time, just a t-shirt, cargo shorts and some Black Cement 3s.

Thats because you are a responsible adult, not someone who just last year copped 3 colorways of retro 3, 2 Concords, 1 Bordeaux, 1 pair of blue foams, Doernbecher 4s and a handful of various air max 95s

Loving sneakers more than anything, at least for me, distracted me from tightening up my gear and making me as versatile as you described yourself...

Originally Posted by ggarvinXX3

I feel you bro..... But once a sneakerhead always a sneakerhead I'm not hard on it like I use too because of Bills house and child but if I see something I like or beast over ill get it no doubt

Originally Posted by RFX45

I've been meaning to sell my collection for 2 years now, just been too lazy don't want to deal with low ballers or ebay fees. Maybe 2012 is the time to start and try moving it... again.
laugh.gif
what size are you?

I don't really go after everything that releases.
The only shoes I go after are the ones I know will mean a lot to me down the road.

Originally Posted by PRIME

But the love isn't. I've noticed that the ones who do it for the love of sneakers, still buy them.
Not to call anyone out and subscribe them to any label, but if you genuinely loved sneakers as a hobby and not a status symbol, you would still buy sneakers. 

I'm not saying you would stand in line for days to get them because I've always thought that was ridiculous and stupid, but the ones you REALLY wanted? Those would be yours no matter what and no matter how long it it would take you to acquire them. 

Thats love, not a thrill. 

But I never really attached myself to the title of "sneaker head", that was always corny to me to an extent. Yes, I do love sneakers. I love looking at them, wearing them, and I know a lot of the history on hundreds of pairs, but attaching myself to a "title" and living a lifestyle dedicated to it was never my style.

Considering an interest in a hobby as a "game" was also corny to me as well. I'm not winning anything out of buying a pair of sneakers. As a young'in it was cool, breaking necks and being "that kid" with the newest Airs was always dope but once I hit the age of 18-19 it wasn't about the "cool" factor anymore. It was genuinely about having shoes that I really loved the look of for my personal enjoyment. 

When I'm 25-30 years old I will still be wearing my Air Jordan 3's when I relax and run errands because I LOVE the shoe. I love a handful of shoes and that will never change. 
My exact thoughts.

I don't really go after everything that releases.
The only shoes I go after are the ones I know will mean a lot to me down the road.

i use to be addicted to them! but now i feel like its such a waste of money to spend money on jordans and some nikes.the materials and way they are made is garbage.my patenent leather ones are in great shape after being thrown around and worn in rain a good amount of times while they look better then my 4's from the cdp..i put my money toward pf flyers and vans
glasses.gif
but most of my money goes toward my car and wifey
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by IronHorse

the final straw was the whole concord hype, that made me realize that I was just another member of the flock as I tried to secure my pairs 

haha yea.
a 30 year old freaking out over some sneakers.

hopefully by that point i can just suck it up and pay the resellers if i really want them.

Back
Top Bottom