After bills, rent, etc paid, how much are you able to save?

This is specifically for NTers who pay big bills like rent or mortgage. I'm looking to move out the end of this year and I'm adding up all my expenses and seeing how much money I can save up for the month. So I ask you guys, what is a good amount to save up for the month, and how much are you able to save every month? I'm brand new to this living on my own thing.. Thank you in advance

Not enough
mean.gif

Oh, people actually have money left over to save after paying bills? Must be nice

Rule of thumb is rent should be 25-30 percent of your monthly take home I think. All other bills depend on what you have, insurance, phone bill, cable, utilities, car note maybe. I dont save too much, pay bills and splurge with the leftover

Last edited:
A few grand after every bill is paid off. I'm married though...

Inb4 "what benefits of a man being married have" NTers come in.

inb4 someone suggests roommates

inb4 someone tells you how bad it is to buy a house

inb4 rent controlled apartment

Around 6500-7200 , it fluctuates that much since it depends if I feel like working on my days off and how much ot I get .

And that's an average 2 weeks without working my days off

Last edited:
Well. Not enough. If u figure in going out to eat and gas and heck it just barely gets us by. I make great money too. Its sad

Living in nyc I was only saving like 500 a month but that was because I was dishing out around 4-5k in bills every month :smh: :smh:

Now that I'm in Pa mortgage and monthly bills come up to 2-2500. So I'm able to put 3k in my savings and 1k in the family savings.

When you first move you might as well forget about saving because its going to be hard but once you get a hang of it you will be good. This is how I try to look at it. 35% rent, 25% bills, 25% save and 15% play money

Next to nothing. Paying off college debt instead. Will return to this thread when i am 40 years old to let you know how much i am saving once i start.

Thanks for the input, I'm just trying to make sure I'm able to save up something decent a month when I move out...Looks like it's hard though lol. But as someone said, I feel like I will be able to get the hang of it

If you're looking for guidlines, make your rent no more than 25% of your take home income. Any more and you'll be sacrificing other areas of your life that you could be using towards tangible assets that appreciate. Second, try to have at least 3-6 months of savings available for an emergency. You never know when a job loss will happen, or roommates decide to skip out on rent, etc. Once you have that and no debt payments, save at least 10% of your income and pay yourself FIRST. When you make yourself a priority, then you're forced to work harder to pay everyone else. Otherwise, you'll spend your whole life working for someone else and have nothing left at the end to show for it.

Im military so rent and utilities are paid for through BAH, only thing i pay out of pocket is credit card bills, gas and car insurance plus im single so i take home about everything, if i didnt go out or shop i could save 2k a month

If you're looking for guidlines, make your rent no more than 25% of your take home income. Any more and you'll be sacrificing other areas of your life that you could be using towards tangible assets that appreciate. Sebcond, try to have at least 3-6 months of savings available for an emergency. You never know when a job loss will happen, or roommates decide to skip out on rent, etc. Once you have that and no debt payments, save at least 10% of your income and pay yourself FIRST. When you make yourself a priority, then you're forced to work harder to pay everyone else. Otherwise, you'll spend your whole life working for someone else and have nothing left at the end to show for it.
this man knows.

On an average I'll save around $2,500 a month. It would be more if my rent wasn't so high. Paying $3,200 a month for rent is getting ridiculous. At this point I'd rather have a mortgage.

:smh: at the dude who posted his paystub. Not a smart idea.

Back
Top Bottom