Air Jordan 11 Retro- Black/Red “Playoff”- 12/14/2019

Is it just me or does the midsoles on the recent Black & Reds and Concords have like little to no compression? I've looked at mine and there's barely any, like I feel that shows how stiff they are to wear. Nevertheless, they are still 2 of my favorite sneakers of all time.

Is it just me or does the midsoles on the recent Black & Reds and Concords have like little to no compression? I've looked at mine and there's barely any, like I feel that shows how stiff they are to wear. Nevertheless, they are still 2 of my favorite sneakers of all time.
Yes I feel the concords and breds do not have as much compression as the Jubilees. However I feel the Jubilees don’t have as good a fit or padding around the ankle as the concords or breds.

They’re definitely way stiffer than the phylon used on the OGs and maybe the earlier retros. Probably because everyone used to complain about midsole creases after two wears. Same reason I believe they started making toe boxes so stiff smfh

They’re definitely way stiffer than the phylon used on the OGs and maybe the earlier retros. Probably because everyone used to complain about midsole creases after two wears. Same reason I believe they started making toe boxes so stiff smfh
Since I actually wear my shoes I rather have my feet feeling comfortable and have creases on the midsole than have little to none and feel like im walking on bricks. Its weird too because I have some of the recent 11 lows and the midsoles are much more soft and plush to the touch and on feet. Not sure why they would make the lows like that but not the mids.

Since I actually wear my shoes I rather have my feet feeling comfortable and have creases on the midsole than have little to none and feel like im walking on bricks. Its weird too because I have some of the recent 11 lows and the midsoles are much more soft and plush to the touch and on feet. Not sure why they would make the lows like that but not the mids.
Ya good point. I’ve given up trying to understand why Nike does what it does

Nah it wasn’t no hate on the early jumpman models.

You was still killin if you had pros.
Yeah, In 97, The Jumpman Pros were the truth! I remember I was begging my mother for the black/red pair back then, but obviously, I didn’t get them. I did get the very recent retro. Definitely not the same as the OG, but still nostalgic. $120 for a full length Zoom air and full grain genuine leather was a bargain even back in 1997.

Every Team/Brand Jordan up to the first Trunners were dope :lol:
Yeah, In 97, The Jumpman Pros were the truth! I remember I was begging my mother for the black/red pair back then, but obviously, I didn’t get them. I did get the very recent retro. Definitely not the same as the OG, but still nostalgic. $120 for a full length Zoom air and full grain genuine leather was a bargain even back in 1997.
Does anyone remember the trunner that released during the original run of the Air Jordan 20? I remember a white pair with a black lace cover I saw in NikeTown San Fran in spring 2005 and always regretted not buying. Oddly, I've tried to find images of it via google and always come up empty handed.

Not at my school in Detroit...you got laughted at if you still wore Taxis after Blk and Reds came out. No lie.
My HS (metro Detroit, funny enough) wasn't quite that extreme, but wasn't far off. I was in college by the time of the 11s and 12s, but if you were still wearing the previous year's Jordans at my HS, everyone kept asking you when you were going to give it up and get the new model LOL
I've said a billion times here before ... if someone had asked kids in the early/mid '90s about the concept of "retro" sneakers, most of us would've looked at them like they grew a third head out of their ***. The WC III was the only shoe I coveted long after it was replaced by later models. I guess I was ahead of the curve on that one :lol:

My HS (metro Detroit, funny enough) wasn't quite that extreme, but wasn't far off. I was in college by the time of the 11s and 12s, but if you were still wearing the previous year's Jordans at my HS, everyone kept asking you when you were going to give it up and get the new model LOL
I've said a billion times here before ... if someone had asked kids in the early/mid '90s about the concept of "retro" sneakers, most of us would've looked at them like they grew a third head out of their ***. The WC III was the only shoe I coveted long after it was replaced by later models. I guess I was ahead of the curve on that one :lol:

Facts, you could only wear the newer released pair, don't matter if you undeadstock your pair a year later, you got clowned for wearing a old colorway

Not at my school in Detroit...you got laughted at if you still wore Taxis after Blk and Reds came out. No lie.
That’s pretty wild. In Los Angeles where I grew up people would say you need to get the new model if you still had last years model, but u still got props for wearing the newest model even if it wasn’t the newest colorway.

Facts, you could only wear the newer released pair, don't matter if you undeadstock your pair a year later, you got clowned for wearing a old colorway
No one waited a year to bust out a fresh pair back then. Maybe three weirdos in all of America did that. If we saw someone wearing a crispy new pair of the old model, it meant only one thing: they found them somewhere on massive clearance for like $40 and their mom finally bought them a pair, exactly because they were truly "deadstock"--and not the definition of that word like the sneaker culture years later co-opted to mean brand new/never worn. It literally meant dead old stock no one wanted, so here, you can have them for nothing while we're cleaning out our stockroom. I remember one of my best friends got the white/infra VIs that way. He wore them while we played in the backyard/driveway and ran around the neighborhood, but I'm pretty sure he never wore them to school :lol:
In retrospect, this was all dickhead behavior, especially considering the cost of shoes (and back then it seemed even more outrageous). But that's just the way it was.

Last edited:
No one waited a year to bust out a fresh pair back then. Maybe three weirdos in all of America did that. If we saw someone wearing a crispy new pair of the old model, that meant only one thing: they found them somewhere on massive clearance for like $40 and their mom finally bought them a pair, exactly because they were truly "deadstock--and not the definition of that word like the sneaker culture years later co-opted to mean brand new/never worn. It literally meant dead old stock no one wanted, so here, you can have them for nothing while we're cleaning out our stockroom. I remember one of my best friends got the white/infra VIs that way. He wore them while we played in the backyard/driveway and ran around the neighborhood, but I'm pretty sure he never wore them to school :lol:
In retrospect, this was all dickhead behavior, especially considering the cost of shoes (and back then it seemed even more outrageous). But that's just the way it was.

Bro...Exactly :lol: , I got the Shadow 10s when the 11s came out at Footlocker for like $69. Nobody wanted Shadow 10s, even at that price, and now we all would love to buy Jordans for even 10% off

I had a dream like 10-15 years ago on finding a stockroom with everything in it. Had to be after a mall closed nearby or something.

Bro...Exactly :lol: , I got the Shadow 10s when the 11s came out at Footlocker for like $69. Nobody wanted Shadow 10s, even at that price, and now we all would love to buy Jordans for even 10% off

I had a dream like 10-15 years ago on finding a stockroom with everything in it. Had to be after a mall closed nearby or something.
:rofl:Exactly!
I know I've said this on NT before: The first probably two weeks I was in college in fall '94, I spotted some kid wearing WC IIIs walking in one of the classroom buildings. I ran after him all confused, and said hey dude, how do you have those? And he told me they had re-released recently. I got so jacked, but there were only two malls within reach, and neither had them. There was no internet, really--there wasn't even a Nike website or online shopping at the time--and I didn't even think to call Eastbay and inquire. Never got a pair. I don't remember the exact timing now, but within that same school year (or was it the next year?), one of the stores at the mall DID have the Chicago 1 and the original Jordan II retros sitting on the shelf for MONTHS. We'd go to the mall once a month or so, and all year I'd laugh every time I walked by that store and saw those things sitting there. I literally couldn't fathom who would want to buy those shoes LOL

sad but true. Where I was in Detroit you were good as long as you wore the current model but, if you wore the old model once the new model came out you got "clowned" for wearing "played out" shoes. Retros weren't a thing yet in the mid to late 90s and being fly was about having the newest or having something no one else had ever seen, but the latter was more risky and had a higher degree of difficulty. You still got points for wearing "name brand" clothes though. Being a kid can be harsh...sheesh lol. Getting clowned for wearing kicks that people pay $$$$'s for now lol. And now these days you have to buy stuff on resell and keep the StockX tag on like a clown (no offense i guess lol) in order to be cool. Never forget seeing a kid throw a teen fit because he didn't want the retro Jordan on the shelf, he wanted to buy it off eBay or StockX like his friends because that's what the cool kids do. Kid had to be about 12 or 13. smh

:rofl:Exactly!
I know I've said this on NT before: The first probably two weeks I was in college in fall '94, I spotted some kid wearing WC IIIs walking in one of the classroom buildings. I ran after him all confused, and said hey dude, how do you have those? And he told me they had re-released recently. I got so jacked, but there were only two malls within reach, and neither had them. There was no internet, really--there wasn't even a Nike website or online shopping at the time--and I didn't even think to call Eastbay and inquire. Never got a pair. I don't remember the exact timing now, but within that same school year (or was it the next year?), one of the stores at the mall DID have the Chicago 1 and the original Jordan II retros sitting on the shelf for MONTHS. We'd go to the mall once a month or so, and all year I'd laugh every time I walked by that store and saw those things sitting there. I literally couldn't fathom who would want to buy those shoes LOL
Spring of 1994, the scene is imprinted in my brain, I walked in to Footlocker Mall of America and in the middle of the store were giant stacks of retro Jordan 1s and retro Jordan 2s on clearance for $39.99 I believe was the price. Two giant towers of boxes and people walking right by them. I grabbed a pair of the black/red 1s..... which I still wear to this day twenty-seven years later.

And probably every year I think back about that moment and why I didnt get a UHaul to take every last box away :smh:

yeah, that's crazy. Fortunately releases were much less frequent so a pair could get you through a school year and into the following summer. The only time you would get a pass is if it was a sneaker that came out over the summer and you wore it to school during the first few months of the new school year. I remember i got a pair of the Reebok Frank Thomas Big Hurt when I was in 6th grade and i loved them.....but my classmates did not lol. Or when i finally got a pair of Rockport boots (Detroit Knows😁) albeit years after they released and got clowned for wearing old shoes. They were almost $200 at Sibleys Shoes at Northland Mall (again, Detroit knows😁) Finally got a pair for $50 and was geeked. Walked into school like Tobey Maguire in Spider Man 3. Never went from being so proud to being so ashamed so quickly lol. But, that's one thing i do appreciate about kids today. a few metro detroit resell shops sell used kicks and often for crazy prices. i can't imagine proudly paying $300 for a used hoodie, even if it's supreme or paying $250 for used dunks. And i'm not talking gently used. I'm talking obviously used. But, it at least gives kids more options. You can hit ebay or goat or local resell and get old kicks or used kicks and even find some steals. You don't necessarily have the pressure of only getting the newest.

yeah, that's crazy. Fortunately releases were much less frequent so a pair could get you through a school year and into the following summer. The only time you would get a pass is if it was a sneaker that came out over the summer and you wore it to school during the first few months of the new school year. I remember i got a pair of the Reebok Frank Thomas Big Hurt when I was in 6th grade and i loved them.....but my classmates did not lol. Or when i finally got a pair of Rockport boots (Detroit Knows😁) albeit years after they released and got clowned for wearing old shoes. They were almost $200 at Sibleys Shoes at Northland Mall (again, Detroit knows😁) Finally got a pair for $50 and was geeked. Walked into school like Tobey Maguire in Spider Man 3. Never went from being so proud to being so ashamed so quickly lol. But, that's one thing i do appreciate about kids today. a few metro detroit resell shops sell used kicks and often for crazy prices. i can't imagine proudly paying $300 for a used hoodie, even if it's supreme or paying $250 for used dunks. And i'm not talking gently used. I'm talking obviously used. But, it at least gives kids more options. You can hit ebay or goat or local resell and get old kicks or used kicks and even find some steals. You don't necessarily have the pressure of only getting the newest.

Wow, Rockport just re-released the Gortex XBS boots and I ordered them yesterday. My parents wasn't having it...they were $495 back then I think. I got so many good memories from Northland Mall :pimp:

Wow, Rockport just re-released the Gortex XBS boots and I ordered them yesterday. My parents wasn't having it...they were $495 back then I think. I got so many good memories from Northland Mall :pimp:
i'ma have to check those out. but, yeah Northland was the spot. between max greens/max's, oak tree, and sibleys i was steady window shopping back then lol.

Spring of 1994, the scene is imprinted in my brain, I walked in to Footlocker Mall of America and in the middle of the store were giant stacks of retro Jordan 1s and retro Jordan 2s on clearance for $39.99 I believe was the price. Two giant towers of boxes and people walking right by them. I grabbed a pair of the black/red 1s..... which I still wear to this day twenty-seven years later.

And probably every year I think back about that moment and why I didnt get a UHaul to take every last box away :smh:
hindsight is 20/20 fam lol. about 6 or 7 years ago a Sheik shoes opened up by my job. I got cool with the manager and he let me know that they still had deadstock from when the store was an Athlete's Foot. Nothing crazy but, they had Pharrel Reeboks, the ones with beepers and such all over, for only $19. They Jordan 1 highs (from just before they took off) for $50, Jordan 2010's for $50. AJKOs for $30. Should have bought them all. I got a pair of the AJKO's and wore them into the ground. I got a pair of the beeper flavor Pharrell/BBC Reeboks for $20 and just sold them this year, used for $300. It's closed now but, everytime I drive by i think about the goldmine i found but, didn't even realize. hindsight is 20/20

You didn't think to take every last box away because all that would've meant at the time is you spent hundreds and hundreds on shoes no one wanted. Was the same as just lighting money on fire :lol:
Northland was the spot. between max greens/max's, oak tree, and sibleys i was steady window shopping back then lol.
Oakland Mall was my main mall back in the '90s, but I would hit up Northland specifically for sneakers because it had more shoe stores than Oakland. I got OG Concords on release day from Northland after I called the Oakland Mall FTL and they said sold out. I miss those days.

Back
Top Bottom